Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Any Chance To Get The Physx Effect Optimized On Ps4?

AlecLucky

PhysX is nVidia's stuff.

PS4's CPU/GPU made by AMD.

This means that if DE will process particle effects by PhysX - nVidia will sue them. And sue them hard.

To implement particle effects on PS4 DE will need to made their own system for this, or use whatever they can find. But it may violate the terms of the contract with nVidia. :\

PhysX is nVidia's stuff.

PS4's CPU/GPU made by AMD.

This means that if DE will process particle effects by PhysX - nVidia will sue them. And sue them hard.

To implement particle effects on PS4 DE will need to made their own system for this, or use whatever they can find. But it may violate the terms of the contract with nVidia. :\

I guess you didn't follow the PS4 launch stuff... Nvidia did license PhysX to PS4.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/07/nvidia-announces-physx-support-for-playstation-4

I didn't make it up. XD

Edit: straight from the horses mouth http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/News/NVIDIA-Announces-PhysX-and-APEX-Support-for-Sony-Computer-Entertainment-s-PlayStation-4-941.aspx

Edited by sushidubya

These physX topics man... I'm surprised letter13 hasn't made a post yet.

PhysX is just a general physics system like havok, which is what is already being used for the ragdolls/clothing/syadanas/etc.. so no Nvidia won't "sue" lol because they built in a cpu backend for most of the modules and license that system out to everyone who wants to use it.

Now there are a few modules that don't have cpu backends and these simply require nvidia hardware, and these are the modules people mean when they use "PhysX" as a blanket statement. These modules are within the Apex system of physx, warframe specifically uses Apex Turbulence and this simply needs an nvidia gpu to work.
So no those particles will never make their way to ps4 unless DE creates their own particle system based on directcompute or something, which is extremely unlikely to ever happen.

Also just because something "looks" like PhysX, doesn't mean it is, heck those effects existed before PhysX did, Infamous Second Son uses Havok and their own systems, not PhysX.

These physX topics man... I'm surprised letter13 hasn't made a post yet.

PhysX is just a general physics system like havok, which is what is already being used for the ragdolls/clothing/syadanas/etc.. so no Nvidia won't "sue" lol because they built in a cpu backend for most of the modules and license that system out to everyone who wants to use it.

Now there are a few modules that don't have cpu backends and these simply require nvidia hardware, and these are the modules people mean when they use "PhysX" as a blanket statement. These modules are within the Apex system of physx, warframe specifically uses Apex Turbulence and this simply needs an nvidia gpu to work.

So no those particles will never make their way to ps4 unless DE creates their own particle system based on directcompute or something, which is extremely unlikely to ever happen.

Also just because something "looks" like PhysX, doesn't mean it is, heck those effects existed before PhysX did, Infamous Second Son uses Havok and their own systems, not PhysX.

Yes exactly this.

PhysX calculations would have to be done by the PS4 jaguar cores which is simply a fancy name for CPU cores. It's done via software and not dedicated Cuba cores for which PhysX was designed. I believe I saw PhysX particles once on PS4 warframe (was some dev stream with them playing Frost Prime in the void) and it wasn't that smooth. So maybe they switched it off? Who knows. XD