Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Orbs Are Redundant

FennecFox

Honorable Tenno,

Don't you find the inclusion of little glowing orbs a little redundant? They're not really offensive but I always thought that they were a place-holder for a more streamlined system.

The fact that you in some cases need to frantically run around and smash boxes to get energy/health is frustrating and I find it breaks immersion. It doesn't make sense that enemies, lockers and crates can drop pure energy and healing power (there are other unbelievable things in warframe but this is the limit for me). At least make them into power packs and health kits if they absolutely have to stay.

A warframe, at least in my mind is a self contained unit that should be able to generate its own energy and heal itself.

One of the big issues that I have with this system is that warframes like my Saryn can run into a room bust out some miasma, kill a few things, pick up some orbs then rinse and repeat, other warframes are even better at this than Saryn.

We've had Melee 2.0, Damage 2.0 and now UI 2.0. Isn't it time that we had energy/health 2.0?

What I'm proposing is that you remove the orbs and instead add passive regen to warframes based on their max health and energy. Auras can then stack on top of these regen numbers.

If this change were to be implemented it would create a great balance between the use of firearms, melee weapons and powers. Weapons deplete ammo but allow for stamina and energy regen, melee depletes stamina but conserves ammunition and allows for greater energy generation and finally powers add spice to the mix with ultimate abilities allowing you to clear the air a little and give you some space to breath, reload and regain stamina.

Warframe abilties that produce orbs can instead have a healing field affect or something similar.

I fancy that removing the orbs in favor of regen would actually improve performance though I'm no game dev so I am quite prepared to be wrong on this point.

TDLR? Remove the orbs and give warframes base regen or something.

I`m happy with the way it is, also my Nekros would be useless during defence or survival mission of harder difficulty.

The orbs also make this game more challenging, i don`t want it like halo.

Edited by HelixNL

Nekros, Trinity (like, every skill except Link), and Oberon would all be impacted hugely by this change.

That doesn't make it a bad change though.

I think that some holdover from the current system would be good though-kills give you a small boost to energy regen for 5-10 seconds, for example. So sure, you're not getting the big pulses of 25 from drops that you used to, but a reliable 3-10 per kill. (Pulling numbers out of a hat here really)

To be perfectly honest I don't play any of the regen frames (Nekros, Oberon, Trinity) but that doesn't mean I don't know them or their abilities.

If you think about it changing from health orbs to slight regen (I'm thinking 50hp per Min) would change very little in terms of gameplay as most players rely more on shields than health.

The only frames this change would really affect are Oberon and Nekros who actually produce orbs, this could easily be changed to something else such as an area of effect heal or something.

I'm not sure Trinity would be affected much at all by a ~50 hp/min(0.5-1 hp/sec) regen.

Anyway I think the focus here is far too heavy on the health side of the issue as opposed to the energy issue which changes things much more.

"One of the big issues that I have with this system is that warframes like my Saryn can run into a room bust out some miasma, kill a few things, pick up some orbs then rinse and repeat..."Adding Passive regen would change this?

That would in fact make the problem even more apparent, at least the orbs are fairly limited.

Regenerative health has almost completely ruined the shooter industry, the last game (possibly only game...) to get it right was probably the original Halo...

You have health, you have a shield, once your shield goes down you start to take health damage, after a while your shield would recharge, but your health would remain as damaged as it had gotten, but there would be health packs scattered around levels which could heal it up.

Edited by RolandOTD

"One of the big issues that I have with this system is that warframes like my Saryn can run into a room bust out some miasma, kill a few things, pick up some orbs then rinse and repeat..."Adding Passive regen would change this?

That would in fact make the problem even more apparent, at least the orbs are fairly limited.

Regenerative health has almost completely ruined the shooter industry, the last game (possibly only game...) to get it right was probably the original Halo...

You have health, you have a shield, once your shield goes down you start to take health damage, after a while your shield would recharge, but your health would remain as damaged as it had gotten, but there would be health packs scattered around levels which could heal it up.

Well add Destiny to that list because their Regen is almost exactly the same.

If you think this will really solve anything then wait until you see people using Rage + Lifestrike instead. This at least works in a higher level solo as well where orbs become really unreliable when abilities can take more than two casts to kill.

Guys, again. Too focused on the health orbs. You realise how negligible 50hp/min or 0.5 hp/sec is? Make it 0.1 hp/sec for all I care.

My point is that running around collecting orbs is kind of frustrating/dated. I'd like to see a more streamlined approach, there's nothing wrong with regen if it's done correctly. I'd like to see the gameplay a bit more varied and for there to be a reason for each weapon (gun, sword and power).

I agree that warframe is too easy or at the very least that it's difficulty curve is a bit skewed. 

"Where's my downvote button?"

Sorry; adding health regeneration would not only take away the challenge, but make frames like Trinity redundant. -1.

Edit: I do like the idea of a model change, though. 

You say that like medpacks don't do that already. Not to even go into how a 1hp/second regen would take an level 30 frame with no mods on average 5 minutes to full heal is in no way comparable to instantly regenerating all of your health and shield. Then there's the fact that there is a ton of shield-bypassing BS coming in with every update so at this stage everyone is running regen or popping health packs anyway. Either that or just dying and getting revived if they're playing online because dying has no drawback most of the time.

Seriously, removing the challenge and making Trinity redundant isn't going to happen just because we get built in Rejuvenation and Energy Siphon auras. I for one support the idea of built in regen. I don't think people realise how negligible the change would be to add health regen of 1/second. Removing energy orbs and replacing them with 0.6 energy/second(equal to and stacking with ES aura) would actually make the game more challenging because you'd have to manage your abilities instead of spamming the insta-win button.

TL;DR, Assuming that the regens are roughly comparable and stack with auras the health orb change would be negligible and the energy orb change would actually do to make the game more challenging. This proposed change is not making it easy-mode, it's there to help turn BS difficulty into challenging difficulty.