Allies Of The Tenno (Putting This On Hold For Now) [Update 10/17]

HappyApathy

Hey, I'm not saying it's bad, just pointing out the existing lore. I still have to read through most of it.

I didn't mean you or your post :) your point was absolutely adequate :)

sry seems here was another brick of my language wall XD

I ment some lore-lovers in meaning "logophiles" - some ones who love words. you know, who think what fanfiction-like lore telling is a ultimate thing and all what does not have "high-literature" form (eg my TDS-like stuff) are wrong.

that spoiler was for people who would like to "protect" AlphaHorseman from my "bad influence" :D

Edited by emaralez87

Alrighty then! And really, it was a misunderstanding because I haven't red the tread fully yet (not a native english speaker, reading tonnes of english text is a bit hard for me). Your english is very understandable, don't blame it :D.

yup. + "tl;dr" factor. + I have an empathy to game's devs and want to make stuff more "comfortable" for reworking to TDS if they would interested in this stuff. 

I've PMed you with script-like version.

once again for lore-lovers: I don't think this stuff bad or in wrong form. I think it is good. I just want to see alternative forms too, designed more like technical specification. Literature part is important, especial good literature part, but I want make this stuff more handy from technical point of view for quest designers or programmers or other "working-horses" like me. there is a lot of work between creative part and realization part, I am closer to "realization" stuff. 

yup. + "tl;dr" factor. + I have an empathy to game's devs and want to make stuff more "comfortable" for reworking to TDS if they would interested in this stuff. 

I've PMed you with script-like version.

once again for lore-lovers: I don't think this stuff bad or in wrong form. I think it is good. I just want to see alternative forms too, designed more like technical specification. Literature part is important, especial good literature part, but I want make this stuff more handy from technical point of view for quest designers or programmers or other "working-horses" like me. there is a lot of work between creative part and realization part, I am closer to "realization" stuff. 

Received your message! And I am in agreement with you as well! My writing can act as the codex entries, as lore for when the missions are finished. While the script you've constructed allows the Devs to see how the progression works. My writing is more of a detailed idea of what is happening, while yours details the steps a Dev could take in implementing them. Your script is like an outline of what I've written, and its imperative that the Devs get the scripted version you created in their implementation process. Of course, that is if they're thinking of adding things from these threads.

I like the ideas you've put in the next missions, I'll implement them and see what I can come up with.

@AlphaHorseman

Some people say that Redskilletz should be hired by DE to make Warframe concepts, you should be hired by them to write story arcs, honestly I love the scenario you've written out as an introduction quest for Callisto, it captures the situation far better then I could have written it. I'll begin incorporating it into the OP as best I can.

On another note I noticed how you've completely changed the character of Caz Thrace from the original, I actually had an idea how your original concept of him as a Grineer assassin could have fit into the Ghost organization as a sort of character foil to Cantis (who I intend to portray as a "all Grineer deserve to be burned alive" kind of mentality) who would add sort of a moral gray zone about how to deal with the Grineer. I'm also nearly done my back story for Zhon, I would like to have you take a look over it once I'm done and maybe rewrite it cause you seem to be better at writing out more gripping descriptions then I am.

I have to say though, as much as I want to see the Colony of Callisto be realized in game someday, they really are a sideshow/pet project for this overall concept, the real important groups are the Vandals and the Ghosts and I am going to be putting more focus into them then any of these other groups at the moment.

@people talking about using sentinels as a proxy go between

Well the way I viewed NPC interaction would be something like this:

1. Approach character, press X to interact

2a. If it's a less important NPC like a random civilian or soldier,  you would you just get a brief dialogue or comment of relatively little importance

2b. If its an important NPC a small menu would open up giving you a choice between a few options like:

TALK

QUESTS/MISSIONS

PURCHASE

(PURCHASE would be for characters like dealers (i.e. Darvo) who you could buy materials, BPs, etc from)

The system I'm imagining would be most a kin to something like from Diablo II where your character is a silent protagonist for the most part.

While adding in sentinels/Ordis as your voice would be neat you have to realize it would mean having to add on a ton more of extra voice acting dialogue to be done for each conversation if every sentinel had a unique response to each thing that was said by NPC's, even more if the NPC's response was different for each sentinel.

@GTG3000

If you take a cult of a 100 million members the numbers game suggests that every so often one of them will "snap out of it", maybe due to built up guilt of conscious and/or psychologically traumatic incidents that they can't reconcile with their beliefs, even with the possibility of a mind wipe (it might be possible many Crewman are simply just hired employees as well) I can still envision a Crewman every so often suddenly thinking 'this is wrong' and wanting out, even in today's world people who were once fanatic cultists or even raised as child soldiers do every so often grow disillusioned and renounce their former beliefs and leaders.

@Altey

That was actually one of the original Vandal units suggested, it's just not mentioned in the other thread because no artwork exists for it currently.

Edited by HappyApathy

@AlphaHorseman

Some people say that Redskilletz should be hired by DE to make Warframe concepts, you should be hired by them to write story arcs, honestly I love the scenario you've written out as an introduction quest for Callisto, it captures the situation far better then I could have written it. I'll begin incorporating it into the OP as best I can.

On another note I noticed how you've completely changed the character of Caz Thrace from the original, I actually had an idea how your original concept of him as a Grineer assassin could have fit into the Ghost organization as a sort of character foil to Cantis (who I intend to portray as a "all Grineer deserve to be burned alive" kind of mentality) who would add sort of a moral gray zone about how to deal with the Grineer. I'm also nearly done my back story for Zhon, I would like to have you take a look over it once I'm done and maybe rewrite it cause you seem to be better at writing out more gripping descriptions then I am.

I have to say though, as much as I want to see the Colony of Callisto be realized in game someday, they really are a sideshow/pet project for this overall concept, the real important groups are the Vandals and the Ghosts and I am going to be putting more focus into them then any of these other groups at the moment.

@people talking about using sentinels as a proxy go between

2a. If it's a less important NPC like a random civilian or soldier,  you would you just get a brief dialogue or comment of relatively little importance

2b. If its an important NPC a small menu would open up giving you a choice between a few options like:

TALK

QUESTS/MISSIONS

PURCHASE

(PURCHASE would be for characters like dealers (i.e. Darvo) who you could buy materials, BPs, etc from)

The system I'm imagining would be most a kin to something like from Diablo II where your character is a silent protagonist for the most part.

While adding in sentinels/Ordis as your voice would be neat you have to realize it would mean having to add on a ton more of extra voice acting dialogue to be done for each conversation if every sentinel had a unique response to each thing that was said by NPC's, even more if the NPC's response was different for each sentinel.

@GTG3000

If you take a cult of a 100 million members the numbers game suggests that every so often one of them will "snap out of it", maybe due to built up guilt of conscious and/or psychologically traumatic incidents that they can't reconcile with their beliefs, even with the possibility of a mind wipe (it might be possible many Crewman are simply just hired employees as well) I can still envision a Crewman every so often suddenly thinking 'this is wrong' and wanting out, even in today's world people who were once fanatic cultists or even raised as child soldiers do every so often grow disillusioned and renounce their former beliefs and leaders.

@Altey

That was actually one of the original Vandal units suggested, it's just not mentioned in the other thread because no artwork exists for it currently.

I would be happy to leave Caz Thrace as a Grineer assassin, it would be a simple alterations of names, and it will be done.

I thank you for the kind words, and I will continue my work on Callisto. But, as you're focusing on the Vandals and the Ghosts, I will be sure to start up on ideas about them, if you think I should. I'll go back into the OP and see what elements you've given me to work with, and I'll see what kind of progression I can think up.

I'll be happy to look over the Zhon story, and I'll check with other threads on any content pertaining to Johnny Prodman. Send the message whenever you're ready.

Received your message! And I am in agreement with you as well! My writing can act as the codex entries, as lore for when the missions are finished. While the script you've constructed allows the Devs to see how the progression works. My writing is more of a detailed idea of what is happening, while yours details the steps a Dev could take in implementing them. Your script is like an outline of what I've written, and its imperative that the Devs get the scripted version you created in their implementation process. Of course, that is if they're thinking of adding things from these threads.

I like the ideas you've put in the next missions, I'll implement them and see what I can come up with.

I'm glad to be useful, thnx! ^____________^

TALK

QUESTS/MISSIONS

PURCHASE

sounds legit

but I still want more Odris...

seems I'm fangirling Odris ...

O_0

XD

sry offtopic :)

@AlphaHorseman

Finished adding in your story arc for Callisto to the OP.

Only real change I made was to the behavior and role of Caz Thrace during the second mission, instead of having him been someone you have to protect I would rather he follow a randomly chosen player around like a specter and be granted invincibility, this would allow players to focus on the battle at hand while letting Caz kick &#! without he player been distracted from the game play or story line by having to worry about him getting killed due to poor AI on his part.

@AlphaHorseman

Only real change I made was to the behavior and role of Caz Thrace during the second mission, instead of having him been someone you have to protect I would rather he follow a randomly chosen player around like a specter and be granted invincibility, this would allow players to focus on the battle at hand while letting Caz kick @$$ without he player been distracted from the game play or story line by having to worry about him getting killed due to poor AI on his part.

@AlphaHorseman

Only real change I made was to the behavior and role of Caz Thrace during the second mission, instead of having him been someone you have to protect I would rather he follow a randomly chosen player around like a specter and be granted invincibility, this would allow players to focus on the battle at hand while letting Caz kick @$$ without he player been distracted from the game play or story line by having to worry about him getting killed due to poor AI on his part.

Sounds perfect!

@AlphaHorseman

I finished the story for Zhon, if you want it rewrite it anyway or redo it based on the basic premise that is fine with me, it's kind of a bit longer then I thought it would be:

The Tale of Zhon

A veteran soldier who enlisted as a crewman the day he turned of age, Zhon spent nearly a century as part of a crack division of the Corpus military, been rapidly shuttled from one hotspot to the next as they arose and departing as soon as the battle was over, beating back Grineer invasions, exterminating infestations, and putting down rebellions, often with his prized possession, a custom Prova he had modified and personalized for himself, Zhon spent so much time on the battlefield that he hardly remembered his life before enlistment, all in the name of the Corpus Guild.

As such he was furious when he discovered that, likely due to a major bureaucratic mix-up, his elite division was assigned to the rear to police and keep order in a large asteroid colony while a division of green unbroken troops were sent to the front to deal with a recent infestation that had broken out on the same asteroid.

Grudgingly accepting his orders, Zhon took up his post overseeing the colonists all the while listening to increasingly worse news from the front against the infestation. Zhon had spent his life at the front lines and had never had a chance to see life on the colonial home front, his time with the colonists brought upon many revelations about the difficulties faced by those living under the guild, unreasonable mining quotas, high taxation of the workers, unionization of any sort been a capital punishment, and other policies that made life hard and difficult for those who lived in the colony.

Zhon also learned that the asteroid itself was nearing depletion and with the damage to the mines caused by the infestation the inhabitants of the colony feared been relocated by the Corpus Guild if the Board considered repairing the damage to the mines to be unprofitable.

Most of all Zhon came to know Cena, with his daily patrol ending at her doorstep he got to talking with her one day and since made it a routine to end his shifts conversing with her. Cena was a technician who maintained the software that ran the mining equipment, which was to say she was currently unemployed as the mines had been overrun by the infestation. Zhon who normally spent his downtime at the firing range or training grounds began instead to spend it with her and getting to know the colonists and the colony.

Finally, with the infestation knocking on the doors of the main colony the higher ups admitted to their mistake and released Zhon's division to the front, along with hiring a number of Tenno to turn the tide against the infested horde. While Zhon knew he was unable to do anything to change the harsh conditions the colonists lived under, he could at least do his best to save them from the infested.

With elite Corpus troops and Tenno at the front, the infestation was rapidly pushed back, the battle climaxing in Zhon's epic take down of (a?) Phorid using nothing but his Prova. Beating the monster to a fried and bloodied pulp, Zhon hardly recognized the enormity of what he had accomplished as he pushed past the awestruck Tenno to look for more infested to clear out.

Returning to base covered in more infested ooze and flesh then anyone had ever seen Zhon was immediately placed under quarantine, with those who examined him been amazed he wasn't already sprouting tentacles. Cena stayed with Zhon during his time in quarantine, speaking to him through a close circuit connection, through her he learned that his actions during the battle had made him a hero both among his own division of Crewman and to the local colonists (and unbeknownst to him, the Tenno themselves), those higher up on the ladder felt otherwise however and had Zhon's pay deducted for causing “unnecessary damage to a prime study specimen” as their wasn't much left of (the?) Phorid for study after Zhon had been through with it, though Zhon cared little for the impact on his paycheck and was more satisfied knowing that the colony was now safe.

After been released from quarantine Zhon spent as much time as he could with Cena and quickly became a recognized figure in the colony, with the spaceport having been damaged during the battle his redeployment was delayed while it was under repair leaving Zhon with ample time to build an intimate relationship with Cena and the colony. When the time finally came for his redeployment Zhon was sent off with a fond farewell by the colonists, he had never felt so much regret from having to move on before.

Zhon maintained a long distance relationship with Cena while in transit to the next battle, things weren't going well at the colony, with the mine already nearing depletion it was unlikely the Corpus Guild would foot the bill to have it repaired and with much of the spaceport still unusable relocating the colonists would likely be a long and expensive process, people were beginning to fear that the Corpus might simply seize their mining equipment and leave them on the rock to rot, already some were planning protests if it came to that.

Zhon reassured Cena that everything would be fine and that the Guild would make the right choice, what he didn't say was that he had already planned to hand in his resignation to the Guild and go wherever she ended up if she got relocated. Zhon had paid his dues in blood and sweat many times over to the Guild and could have retired long ago but never had reason too, now the man who had become so versed in the ways of death was considering life beyond the battlefield, marriage, children, the simple colonial life, Zhon's many battles had earned him a considerable amounts of savings and he would easily be able to support himself and Cena, whatever her situation may be. Zhon had felt the anticipation, fear, and excitement that preceded coming battles but it was nothing like the feelings he felt now, it made him happy and he looked forward to what was to come.

Cena's communications abruptly ceased, Zhon began to worry.

Unable to overcome his growing anxiety Zhon began to delve into recent official reports for anything that may relate to the colony, what he found shook him to the core. Under the pretense of “preventing future infestation outbreaks” the board had liquidated the colony by venting out its oxygen and chocking everyone, Zhon saw through their flimsy excuse though and knew the real reasons for disposing of the colonists, rather then pay the cost of repairing the mines or spaceport, or risk a confrontation with the residents the Board had chosen the cheapest option and simply had everyone killed so they could seize their mining equipment without resistance.

In a fit of rage and grief that the Guild could treat human life so cheaply, and his lost future with Cena, Zhon committed his first ever act of disobedience against the Corpus Guild he had dedicated his life to; taking nothing but his suit, Prova, and an album of holographs from his time at the colony, Zhon hijacked an escape pod and deserted from the troop transport he was on, heading out into the darkness of space to forge his own destiny.

----------------------------------

As a final note if this were adopted as his background I would think it would be an incredibly human moment if he had a rare idle animation outside of combat where he would pull out a small disk that projected the holographic image of a waving smiling woman (assumed to be Cena) that he would stare at for a moment with an incredible look of forlorn sadness before putting it away and returning back to business.

Edited by HappyApathy

To be honest I think DE have got something planned. The alerts seem lije they want to test out new mechanics that might be Focus related, might be hubs related, might even be a way to force teamwork and frame selection.

Not sure how I feel about that. That would mean some alerts will be tailored to specific frames, meaning if you dont gave them, you cant play them.

As for alerts used for the Allies, I hope that we get Quest Alerts. Several of these quests form s Campaign that in turn is an Event.

Like all events you miss them if you arent looking, but would be a cool way to tell a story.

All in all they are on the right track now!

I loved the story of Zhon. I used to think he was a silly character, but now I come to think of him as a scarred veteran with wizdom and pain.

This would make a fine little movie at that.

What do you imagine Zhon looks like? I get a Clint Eastwood / Bruce Willis face in my mind as I read it.

How do you picture him?

(Most awesome us of course, if in fact Cera is not really dead. Awesome adventure of Vengence and reclaimed love, a possibility? )

Here ya go!

A former veteran soldier of the Corpus, Zhon enlisted as a crewman the day he turned of age. Zhon spent nearly a century as part of a Crack Division of the Corpus military, being rapidly shuttled from one hotspot to the next. Zhon’s Division arrived to the fight and departing as soon as the battle was over; beating back Grineer invasions, exterminating Infestations, and putting down rebellions. No matter the situation, Zhon was only ever armed with his prized possession, a custom Prova he had modified and personalized for himself. Zhon spent so much time on the battlefield that he hardly remembered his life before enlistment, all in the name of the Corpus Guild.

When the Corpus received word that an Infestation had broken out on one of their mining asteroids, Zhon’s Division was ordered to the scene. Yet, he was furious when he discovered that, likely due to a major bureaucratic mix-up, his elite division was assigned to the rear to police and keep order in a large asteroid colony. A division made up of greenhorn troops was sent to the front to deal with the recent outbreak.

Grudgingly accepting his orders, Zhon took up his post overseeing the colonists, all the while listening to increasingly worse news from the front against the Infestation. The bleakness of the transmissions was everything Zhon had feared to happen. The newly indoctrinated troops had never faced the Infested before, and went in guns blazing without regard, and now they were paying the price. The death toll kept growing as the bodies were being ravaged by the Infested, and slowly being turned. Throughout this Zhon’s anger towards the Board began to boil, and the naïve decision would cost the guild greatly.

Zhon was brought out of his angered haze when he noticed a child and his mother playing outside of the compound. Zhon had spent his life at the front lines and had never had a chance to see life on the colonial home front. In that moment of revelation, even as the Infested were destroying their troops and it seemed that the Board would lose a new Division, Zhon noted how the innocence and love of this family were not tainted by the darkness around them.

He had noted that, even with the meager living conditions of the asteroid, these people found happiness in one another. The Board themselves were taking in huge profits from this asteroid alone, and Zhon began to wonder how these people could live such humble lives when the Board enjoyed many luxuries. His time with the colonists brought upon many revelations about the difficulties faced by those living under the guild. Unreasonable mining quotas, high taxation of the workers, unionization of any sort being a capital punishment, and other policies that made life hard and difficult for those who lived in the colony, all by Corpus decree.

Zhon also learned that the asteroid itself was nearing depletion, and with the damage to the mines caused by the Infestation, the inhabitants of the colony feared being relocated by the Corpus Guild. Entire families would have to move, leaving behind their homes, businesses, and the community they had grown to love. No one knew where they were to be relocated, and if, for that matter, if they would ever see one another again. All this unrest, due to the Corpus Board considered repairing the damage to the mines to be ‘unprofitable’.

Of the many colonists there, Zhon came to know a woman named Cena. With his daily patrol ending at her doorstep, he got to talking with her one day and since made it a routine to end his shifts conversing with her. Cena was a technician who maintained the software that ran the mining equipment, which was to say she was currently unemployed as the mines had been overrun by the Infestation. Zhon, who normally spent his downtime at the firing range or on the training grounds, began instead to spend it with her and getting to know the colonists and the colony.

Zhon found in Cena a soul that was wise, youthful, and cared much for the place in which she lived. No matter the person that came to her door, Cena would engage them in conversations, offer them food and a seat, and enjoyed to joke and share stories. Often when children would come to her door she would offer them what little candies or snacks she had; laughing with them and sharing fairytales of long ago times and the adventures of past heroes. When Zhon came to her, the only difference was that, as everyone else would leave, she and Zhon would talk into the night, either until Zhon had to return to the compound, or Cena fell asleep on her porch and Zhon would take her in.

Cena’s home was not as grand as a Corpus diplomat, but it had the touch of ‘home’ in it that made it feel more than just a house. The Board cared more for efficiency than comfort, and it showed through as her Living Room doubled as a dining area, with the kitchen tacked on to the side. A petite hallway led to the only bathroom and bedroom within the house. Cena made it work, as even inside the cramped area, Zhon felt no sense of claustrophobia, and felt comfortable in a way he never felt before. The feelings mixing in his heart were still to be deciphered, but in that place, the sense of ‘belonging’ and ‘home’ rung strongest within him.

Finally, with the Infestation knocking on the doors of the main colony, the higher ups admitted to their mistake and released Zhon's Division to the front, along with hiring a number of Tenno to turn the tide against the Infested horde. While Zhon knew he was unable to do anything to change the harsh conditions the colonists lived under, he could at least do his best to save them from the Infested.

With elite Corpus troops and Tenno at the front, the Infestation was rapidly pushed back, the battle climaxing in Zhon's epic take down of (a?) Phorid using nothing but his Prova. Beating the monster to a fried and bloodied pulp, Zhon hardly recognized the enormity of what he had accomplished as he pushed past the awestruck Tenno to look for more infested to clear out.

Returning to base covered in more Infested ooze and flesh then anyone had ever seen, Zhon was immediately placed under quarantine, with those who examined him being amazed he wasn't already sprouting tentacles. Cena stayed with Zhon during his time in quarantine, speaking to him through a close circuit connection. She had called him “reckless and stupid for doing something so crazy”, but Zhon could hear the underlying concern and relief in her voice. Through her he learned that his actions during the battle had made him a hero both among his own division of Crewman and to the local colonists (and unbeknownst to him, the Tenno themselves). Those higher up on the corporate ladder felt otherwise however, and had Zhon's pay deducted for causing “unnecessary damage to a prime study specimen” as their wasn't much left of (the?) Phorid for study after Zhon had been through with it. Zhon cared little for the impact on his paycheck, and was more satisfied knowing that the colony was now safe.

After being released from quarantine Zhon spent as much time as he could with Cena and quickly became a recognized figure in the colony. With the spaceport having been damaged during the battle, his redeployment was delayed while it was under repair, leaving Zhon with ample time to build an intimate relationship with Cena and the colony. When the time finally came for his redeployment Zhon was sent off with a fond farewell by the colonists. He had never felt so much regret from having to move on before.

Zhon maintained a long distance relationship with Cena while in transit to the next battle. Things weren't going well at the colony, with the mine already nearing depletion it was unlikely the Corpus Guild would foot the bill to have it repaired, and with much of the spaceport still unusable relocating the colonists would likely be a long and expensive process. People were beginning to fear that the Corpus might simply seize their mining equipment and leave them on the rock to rot, already some were planning protests if it came to that.

Zhon reassured Cena that everything would be fine and that the Guild would make the right choice, what he didn't say was that he had already planned to hand in his resignation to the Guild and go wherever she ended up if she got relocated. Zhon had paid his dues in blood and sweat many times over to the Guild and could have retired long ago but never had reason to, now the man who had become so versed in the ways of death was considering life beyond the battlefield. Marriage, children, the simple colonial life, Zhon's many battles had earned him a considerable amounts of savings and he would easily be able to support himself and Cena, whatever her situation may be. Zhon had felt the anticipation, fear, and excitement that preceded coming battles but it was nothing like the feelings he felt now, it made him happy and he looked forward to what was to come.

Unable to overcome his growing anxiety, Zhon began to delve into recent official reports for anything that may relate to the colony, what he found shook him to the core. Under the pretense of “preventing future Infestation outbreaks” the board had liquidated the colony by venting out its oxygen and chocking everyone. Zhon saw through their flimsy excuse, and knew the real reasons for disposing of the colonists. Rather than pay the cost of repairing the mines or spaceport, or risk a confrontation with the residents, the Board had chosen the cheapest option and simply had everyone killed so they could seize their mining equipment without resistance.

It was in that moment that Zhon’s hope for a simple colonial life had withered. His dreams of children with Cena, in a quiet place with their own house, were gone. No more were the thoughts of waking in the morning to the sounds of children playing, to the smells of Cena’s cooking. Zhon remembered the smile Cena gave him as she awoke on the porch one night after their long talks and found Zhon still there. In that smile was the hope and promise of a future where he would no longer lift his weapon, only his hand to grasp Cena’s hand. He dreamed of waking up in the mornings and seeing that smile on her face next to his. Now, the memories and dreams of what could have been were all that he had left.

In a fit of rage and grief that the Guild could treat human life so cheaply, and his lost future with Cena, Zhon committed his first ever act of disobedience against the Corpus Guild he had dedicated his life to; taking nothing but his suit, Prova, and an album of holographs from his time at the colony, Zhon hijacked an escape pod and deserted from the troop transport he was on, heading out into the darkness of space to forge his own destiny.

As a final note if this were adopted as his background I would think it would be an incredibly human moment if he had a rare idle animation outside of combat where he would pull out a small disk that projected the holographic image of a waving smiling woman (assumed to be Cena) that he would stare at for a moment with an incredible look of forlorn sadness before putting it away and returning back to business.

@ HappyApathy

My god Apathy, I can’t tell you how much I love this story.

I’ve just edited some stuff, added info here and there, a few Oxford commas, and some sentence splitting. If you want me to change things or turn things back, feel free to do so! I do think the community will like this one very much. Sorry, I think I actually made it longer, I wanted to flesh out Cena's character and the gravity of her relationship to Zhon more, giving the events that happened more emotional weight.

Edited by AlphaHorseman

Update: Added in Zhon's back story

@AlphaHorseman

Thanks, I like your additions to the story to flesh out the emotional element, I've finalized it with some minor changes and added it to the OP

The Tale of Zhon (Written by HappyApathy, Edited by AlphaHorseman)

"People deserve better then the Guild, I deserve better... she deserved better..."

- Conversation with Zhon

A former veteran soldier of the Corpus, Zhon enlisted as a crewman the day he turned of age. Zhon spent nearly a century as part of a crack division of the Corpus military, being rapidly shuttled from one hotspot to the next. Zhon’s division arrived to the fight and departed as soon as the battle was over; beating back Grineer invasions, exterminating Infestations, and putting down rebellions. Often Zhon was only armed with his prized possession, a custom Prova he had modified and personalized for himself. Zhon spent so much time on the battlefield that he hardly remembered his life before enlistment, all in the name of the Corpus Guild.

When the Corpus received word that an Infestation had broken out on one of their mining asteroids, Zhon’s division was ordered to the scene. Yet, he was furious when he discovered that, likely due to a major bureaucratic mix-up, his elite division was assigned to the rear to police and keep order in a large asteroid colony while a division made up of greenhorn troops was sent to the front to deal with the recent outbreak.

Grudgingly accepting his orders, Zhon took up his post overseeing the colonists, all the while listening to increasingly worse news from the front against the Infestation. The bleakness of the transmissions was everything Zhon had feared to happen. The newly indoctrinated troops had never faced the Infested before, and went in guns blazing without regard, and now they were paying the price. The death toll kept growing as the bodies were being ravaged by the Infested, and slowly being turned. Throughout this Zhon’s anger towards the Board began to boil, and the naïve decision would cost the guild greatly.

Zhon was brought out of his angered haze when he noticed a child and his mother playing outside of the compound. Zhon had spent his life at the front lines and had never had a chance to see life on the colonial home front. In that moment of revelation, even as the Infested were destroying their troops and it seemed that the Board would lose a new division, Zhon noted how the innocence and love of this family were not tainted by the darkness around them.

He had noted that, even with the meager living conditions of the asteroid, these people found happiness in one another. The Board themselves were taking in huge profits from this asteroid alone, and Zhon began to wonder how these people could live such humble lives when the Board enjoyed many luxuries. His time with the colonists brought upon many revelations about the difficulties faced by those living under the guild. Unreasonable mining quotas, high taxation of the workers, unionization of any sort being a capital punishment, and other policies that made life hard and difficult for those who lived in the colony, all by Corpus decree.

Zhon also learned that the asteroid itself was nearing depletion, and with the damage to the mines caused by the Infestation, the inhabitants of the colony feared being relocated by the Corpus Guild. Entire families would have to move, leaving behind their homes, businesses, and the community they had grown to love. No one knew where they were to be relocated, and if, for that matter, they would ever see one another again. All this unrest because the Corpus Board might consider repairing the damage to the mines to be ‘unprofitable’.

Of the many colonists there, Zhon came to know a woman named Cena. With his daily patrol ending at her doorstep, he got to talking with her one day and since made it a routine to end his shifts conversing with her. Cena was a technician who maintained the software that ran the mining equipment, which was to say she was currently unemployed as the mines had been overrun by the Infestation. Zhon, who normally spent his downtime at the firing range or on the training grounds, began instead to spend it with her and getting to know the colonists and the colony.

Zhon found in Cena a soul that was wise, youthful, and cared much for the place in which she lived. No matter the person that came to her door, Cena would engage them in conversations, offer them food and a seat, and enjoyed to joke and share stories. Often when children would come to her door she would offer them what little candies or snacks she had; laughing with them and sharing fairytales of long ago times and the adventures of past heroes. When Zhon came to her, the only difference was that, as everyone else would leave, she and Zhon would talk into the night, either until Zhon had to return to the compound, or Cena fell asleep on her porch and Zhon would take her in.

Cena’s home was not as grand as a Corpus diplomat, but it had the touch of ‘home’ in it that made it feel more than just a house. The Board cared more for efficiency than comfort, and it showed through as her Living Room doubled as a dining area, with the kitchen tacked on to the side. A petite hallway led to the only bathroom and bedroom within the house. Cena made it work, as even inside the cramped area, Zhon felt no sense of claustrophobia, and felt comfortable in a way he never felt before. The feelings mixing in his heart were still to be deciphered, but in that place, the sense of ‘belonging’ and ‘home’ rung strongest within him.

Finally, with the Infestation knocking on the doors of the main colony, the higher ups admitted to their mistake and released Zhon's division to the front, along with hiring a number of Tenno to turn the tide against the Infested horde. While Zhon knew he was unable to do anything to change the harsh conditions the colonists lived under, he could at least do his best to save them from the Infested.

With elite Corpus troops and Tenno at the front, the Infestation was rapidly pushed back, the battle climaxing in Zhon's epic take down of (a?) Phorid using nothing but his Prova. Beating the monster to a fried and bloodied pulp, Zhon hardly recognized the enormity of what he had accomplished as he pushed past the awestruck Tenno to look for more infested to clear out.

Returning to base covered in more Infested ooze and flesh then anyone had ever seen, Zhon was immediately placed under quarantine, with those who examined him being amazed he wasn't already sprouting tentacles. Cena stayed with Zhon during his time in quarantine, speaking to him through a close circuit connection. She had called him “reckless and stupid for doing something so crazy”, but Zhon could hear the underlying concern and relief in her voice. Through her he learned that his actions during the battle had made him a hero both among his own division of Crewman and to the local colonists (and unbeknownst to him, the Tenno themselves). Those higher up on the corporate ladder felt otherwise however, and had Zhon's pay deducted for causing “unnecessary damage to a prime study specimen” as there wasn't much left of (the?) Phorid for study after Zhon had been through with it. Zhon cared little for the impact on his paycheck, and was more satisfied knowing that the colony was now safe.

After being released from quarantine Zhon spent as much time as he could with Cena and quickly became a recognized figure in the colony. With the spaceport having been damaged during the battle, his redeployment was delayed while it was under repair, leaving Zhon with ample time to build an intimate relationship with Cena and the colony. When the time finally came for his redeployment Zhon was sent off with a fond farewell by the colonists. He had never felt so much regret from having to move on before.

Zhon maintained a long distance relationship with Cena while in transit to the next battle. Things weren't going well at the colony, with the mine already nearing depletion it was unlikely the Corpus Guild would foot the bill to have it repaired, and with much of the spaceport still unusable relocating the colonists would likely be a long and expensive process. People were beginning to fear that the Corpus might simply seize their mining equipment and leave them on the rock to rot, already some were planning protests if it came to that.

Zhon reassured Cena that everything would be fine and that the Guild would make the right choice, what he didn't say was that he had already planned to hand in his resignation to the Guild and go wherever she ended up if she got relocated. Zhon had paid his dues in blood and sweat many times over to the Guild and could have retired long ago but never had reason to, now the man who had become so versed in the ways of death was he first time considering life beyond the battlefield. Marriage, children, the simple colonial life, Zhon's many battles had earned him a considerable amount of savings and he would easily be able to support himself and Cena, whatever her situation may be. Zhon had felt the anticipation, fear, and excitement that preceded coming battles but it was nothing like the feelings he felt now, it made him happy and he looked forward to what was to come.

Unable to overcome his growing anxiety, Zhon began to delve into recent official reports for anything that may relate to the colony, what he found shook him to the core. Under the pretense of “preventing future Infestation outbreaks” the board had liquidated the colony by venting out its oxygen and chocking everyone. Zhon saw through their flimsy excuse, and knew the real reasons for disposing of the colonists. Rather than pay the cost of repairing the mines or spaceport, or risk a confrontation with the residents, the Board had chosen the cheapest option and simply had everyone killed so they could seize their mining equipment without resistance.

It was in that moment that Zhon’s hope for a simple colonial life died. His dreams of children with Cena, in a quiet place with their own house, were gone. No more were the thoughts of waking in the morning to the sounds of children playing, to the smells of Cena’s cooking. Zhon remembered the smile Cena gave him as she awoke on the porch one night after their long talks and found Zhon still there. In that smile was the hope and promise of a future where he would no longer lift his weapon, only his hand to grasp Cena’s hand. He dreamed of waking up in the mornings and seeing that smile on her face next to his. Now, the memories and dreams of what could have been were all that he had left.

-----------------------------------------

I'm going to be writing out a potential back story for Cantis next, If you want to help with something I want to create a second character within the Vandal organization as a sort of lieutenant to Zhon who represents the 'youth in rebellion' element of the group (I would also like this character to be female), maybe you could create an idea for that character.

@arch111

Glad you liked it. Unfortunately I don't think Warframe is a place for happy fairy tale like reunions, I would think Cena is truly dead and all Zhon has left is his revolution to lead. Zhon's fight is less one about outright vengeance but more about toppling the Corpus and replacing them with a group that values people as humans instead of resources to be disposed of, my personal ending for Zhon is having him been given the chance to seize total control for himself, refusing it and handing it over to the younger generation to take the lead, while he finally moves on with his life and retires to some distant colony and lives out the rest of his days as a simple colonist, maybe even finding love again, I don't know if Warframe will ever have endgame scenarios but that is the one I imagine for Zhon.
Edited by HappyApathy