Allies Of The Tenno (Putting This On Hold For Now) [Update 10/17]

Update: Added in Zhon's back story

@AlphaHorseman

Thanks, I like your additions to the story to flesh out the emotional element, I've finalized it with some minor changes and added it to the OP

The Tale of Zhon (Written by HappyApathy, Edited by AlphaHorseman)

"People deserve better then the Guild, I deserve better... she deserved better..."

- Conversation with Zhon

A former veteran soldier of the Corpus, Zhon enlisted as a crewman the day he turned of age. Zhon spent nearly a century as part of a crack division of the Corpus military, being rapidly shuttled from one hotspot to the next. Zhon’s division arrived to the fight and departed as soon as the battle was over; beating back Grineer invasions, exterminating Infestations, and putting down rebellions. Often Zhon was only armed with his prized possession, a custom Prova he had modified and personalized for himself. Zhon spent so much time on the battlefield that he hardly remembered his life before enlistment, all in the name of the Corpus Guild.

When the Corpus received word that an Infestation had broken out on one of their mining asteroids, Zhon’s division was ordered to the scene. Yet, he was furious when he discovered that, likely due to a major bureaucratic mix-up, his elite division was assigned to the rear to police and keep order in a large asteroid colony while a division made up of greenhorn troops was sent to the front to deal with the recent outbreak.

Grudgingly accepting his orders, Zhon took up his post overseeing the colonists, all the while listening to increasingly worse news from the front against the Infestation. The bleakness of the transmissions was everything Zhon had feared to happen. The newly indoctrinated troops had never faced the Infested before, and went in guns blazing without regard, and now they were paying the price. The death toll kept growing as the bodies were being ravaged by the Infested, and slowly being turned. Throughout this Zhon’s anger towards the Board began to boil, and the naïve decision would cost the guild greatly.

Zhon was brought out of his angered haze when he noticed a child and his mother playing outside of the compound. Zhon had spent his life at the front lines and had never had a chance to see life on the colonial home front. In that moment of revelation, even as the Infested were destroying their troops and it seemed that the Board would lose a new division, Zhon noted how the innocence and love of this family were not tainted by the darkness around them.

He had noted that, even with the meager living conditions of the asteroid, these people found happiness in one another. The Board themselves were taking in huge profits from this asteroid alone, and Zhon began to wonder how these people could live such humble lives when the Board enjoyed many luxuries. His time with the colonists brought upon many revelations about the difficulties faced by those living under the guild. Unreasonable mining quotas, high taxation of the workers, unionization of any sort being a capital punishment, and other policies that made life hard and difficult for those who lived in the colony, all by Corpus decree.

Zhon also learned that the asteroid itself was nearing depletion, and with the damage to the mines caused by the Infestation, the inhabitants of the colony feared being relocated by the Corpus Guild. Entire families would have to move, leaving behind their homes, businesses, and the community they had grown to love. No one knew where they were to be relocated, and if, for that matter, they would ever see one another again. All this unrest because the Corpus Board might consider repairing the damage to the mines to be ‘unprofitable’.

Of the many colonists there, Zhon came to know a woman named Cena. With his daily patrol ending at her doorstep, he got to talking with her one day and since made it a routine to end his shifts conversing with her. Cena was a technician who maintained the software that ran the mining equipment, which was to say she was currently unemployed as the mines had been overrun by the Infestation. Zhon, who normally spent his downtime at the firing range or on the training grounds, began instead to spend it with her and getting to know the colonists and the colony.

Zhon found in Cena a soul that was wise, youthful, and cared much for the place in which she lived. No matter the person that came to her door, Cena would engage them in conversations, offer them food and a seat, and enjoyed to joke and share stories. Often when children would come to her door she would offer them what little candies or snacks she had; laughing with them and sharing fairytales of long ago times and the adventures of past heroes. When Zhon came to her, the only difference was that, as everyone else would leave, she and Zhon would talk into the night, either until Zhon had to return to the compound, or Cena fell asleep on her porch and Zhon would take her in.

Cena’s home was not as grand as a Corpus diplomat, but it had the touch of ‘home’ in it that made it feel more than just a house. The Board cared more for efficiency than comfort, and it showed through as her Living Room doubled as a dining area, with the kitchen tacked on to the side. A petite hallway led to the only bathroom and bedroom within the house. Cena made it work, as even inside the cramped area, Zhon felt no sense of claustrophobia, and felt comfortable in a way he never felt before. The feelings mixing in his heart were still to be deciphered, but in that place, the sense of ‘belonging’ and ‘home’ rung strongest within him.

Finally, with the Infestation knocking on the doors of the main colony, the higher ups admitted to their mistake and released Zhon's division to the front, along with hiring a number of Tenno to turn the tide against the Infested horde. While Zhon knew he was unable to do anything to change the harsh conditions the colonists lived under, he could at least do his best to save them from the Infested.

With elite Corpus troops and Tenno at the front, the Infestation was rapidly pushed back, the battle climaxing in Zhon's epic take down of (a?) Phorid using nothing but his Prova. Beating the monster to a fried and bloodied pulp, Zhon hardly recognized the enormity of what he had accomplished as he pushed past the awestruck Tenno to look for more infested to clear out.

Returning to base covered in more Infested ooze and flesh then anyone had ever seen, Zhon was immediately placed under quarantine, with those who examined him being amazed he wasn't already sprouting tentacles. Cena stayed with Zhon during his time in quarantine, speaking to him through a close circuit connection. She had called him “reckless and stupid for doing something so crazy”, but Zhon could hear the underlying concern and relief in her voice. Through her he learned that his actions during the battle had made him a hero both among his own division of Crewman and to the local colonists (and unbeknownst to him, the Tenno themselves). Those higher up on the corporate ladder felt otherwise however, and had Zhon's pay deducted for causing “unnecessary damage to a prime study specimen” as there wasn't much left of (the?) Phorid for study after Zhon had been through with it. Zhon cared little for the impact on his paycheck, and was more satisfied knowing that the colony was now safe.

After being released from quarantine Zhon spent as much time as he could with Cena and quickly became a recognized figure in the colony. With the spaceport having been damaged during the battle, his redeployment was delayed while it was under repair, leaving Zhon with ample time to build an intimate relationship with Cena and the colony. When the time finally came for his redeployment Zhon was sent off with a fond farewell by the colonists. He had never felt so much regret from having to move on before.

Zhon maintained a long distance relationship with Cena while in transit to the next battle. Things weren't going well at the colony, with the mine already nearing depletion it was unlikely the Corpus Guild would foot the bill to have it repaired, and with much of the spaceport still unusable relocating the colonists would likely be a long and expensive process. People were beginning to fear that the Corpus might simply seize their mining equipment and leave them on the rock to rot, already some were planning protests if it came to that.

Zhon reassured Cena that everything would be fine and that the Guild would make the right choice, what he didn't say was that he had already planned to hand in his resignation to the Guild and go wherever she ended up if she got relocated. Zhon had paid his dues in blood and sweat many times over to the Guild and could have retired long ago but never had reason to, now the man who had become so versed in the ways of death was considering life beyond the battlefield. Marriage, children, the simple colonial life, Zhon's many battles had earned him a considerable amount of savings and he would easily be able to support himself and Cena, whatever her situation may be. Zhon had felt the anticipation, fear, and excitement that preceded coming battles but it was nothing like the feelings he felt now, it made him happy and he looked forward to what was to come.

Cena's communications abruptly ceased, Zhon began to worry.

Unable to overcome his growing anxiety, Zhon began to delve into recent official reports for anything that may relate to the colony, what he found shook him to the core. Under the pretense of “preventing future Infestation outbreaks” the board had liquidated the colony by venting out its oxygen and chocking everyone. Zhon saw through their flimsy excuse, and knew the real reasons for disposing of the colonists. Rather than pay the cost of repairing the mines or spaceport, or risk a confrontation with the residents, the Board had chosen the cheapest option and simply had everyone killed so they could seize their mining equipment without resistance.

It was in that moment that Zhon’s hope for a simple colonial life died. His dreams of children with Cena, in a quiet place with their own house, were gone. No more were the thoughts of waking in the morning to the sounds of children playing, to the smells of Cena’s cooking. Zhon remembered the smile Cena gave him as she awoke on the porch one night after their long talks and found Zhon still there. In that smile was the hope and promise of a future where he would no longer lift his weapon, only his hand to grasp Cena’s hand. He dreamed of waking up in the mornings and seeing that smile on her face next to his. Now, the memories and dreams of what could have been were all that he had left.

In a fit of rage and grief that the Guild could treat human life so cheaply, and his lost future with Cena, Zhon committed his first ever act of disobedience against the Corpus Guild he had dedicated his life to; taking nothing but his suit, Prova, and an album of holographs from his time at the colony, Zhon hijacked an escape pod and deserted from the troop transport he was on, heading out into the darkness of space to forge his own destiny.

-----------------------------------------

As a final note if this were adopted as his background I would think it would be an incredibly human moment if he had a rare idle animation outside of combat where he would pull out a small disk that projected the holographic image of a waving smiling woman (assumed to be Cena) that he would stare at for a moment with an incredible look of forlorn sadness before putting it away and returning back to business.

I'm going to be writing out a potential back story for Cantis next, If you want to help with something I want to create a second character within the Vandal organization as a sort of lieutenant to Zhon who represents the 'youth in rebellion' element of the group (I would also like this character to be female), maybe you could create an idea for that character.

@arch111

Glad you liked it. Unfortunately I don't think Warframe is a place for happy fairy tale like reunions, I would think Cena is truly dead and all Zhon has left is his revolution to lead. Zhon's fight is less one about outright vengeance but more about toppling the Corpus and replacing them with a group that values people as humans instead of resources to be disposed of, my personal ending for Zhon is having him been given the chance to seize total control for himself, refusing it and handing it over to the younger generation to take the lead, while he finally moves on with his life and retires to some distant colony and lives out the rest of his days as a simple colonist, maybe even finding love again, I don't know if Warframe will ever have endgame scenarios but that is the one I imagine for Zhon.

Haha, the whole time I was looking over the Zhon story and reading the OP and posts about them finding and creating a Vandal Valkyr, one of the youths he referred to I was thinking of making into a character. It was perfect that you suggest this, and it was in my mind to create as well. I'll be happy to think of something.

Maybe a youthful girl who, like Zhon, goes for a challenge and doesn't back down when others tell her she can't. Someone with a hot head that reminds him of himself during his earlier years in the Corpus Guild. He could see in her the makings of a good leader, even though she's kinda rough around the edges, with the right leadership, and a good heart, she could be the kind of person others could look up to.

Maybe a youthful girl who, like Zhon, goes for a challenge and doesn't back down when others tell her she can't. Someone with a hot head that reminds him of himself during his earlier years in the Corpus Guild. He could see in her the makings of a good leader, even though she's kinda rough around the edges, with the right leadership, and a good heart, she could be the kind of person others could look up to.

I second this notion.

The story of Zahn inspired me. It led me to start planning a short comic based on the story.

But for now, it led me to draw this.

zohn_remember_by_gaber111-d7wrcov.png

This is a wip anyways. I imagine the final piece will be in 3D.

I am working on a model of Zahn , could use some thought on how he will look from you guys.

Edited by arch111

nice, though I personally imagine he would have let his hair grow out and have some stubble on his face, don't think he would care much for regulations anymore, could also use some face markings like other Corpus.

Edited by HappyApathy

So I guess you are sure Corpus have hair and just choose to do the Egyptian shave and paint.

Me, I still am unsure if they even have hair anymore.

If hair; yes sure that would allow for greater character traits.

Edit: Dammet you ninja'd me :)

Ok. Hairy brute it is then.

Edited by arch111

So I guess you are sure Corpus have hair and just choose to do the Egyptian shave and paint.

Me, I still am unsure if they even have hair anymore.

If hair; yes sure that would allow for greater character traits.

Edit: Dammet you ninja'd me :)

Ok. Hairy brute it is then.

I'll put both pictures up when your done, by the way I don't mean go crazy with the hair, nothing long or greater then shoulder length if that's what your thinking, just a short simple cut and some stubble around the face.

Edited by HappyApathy

phobens_by_dreadcoffins-d7wr66g.png

Phobens often raid Grineer bases and convoys, have nothing against pillaging. There are many talented engineers, who can improve Grineer equipment and outfits (a few of their achievements include anti-Grineer propaganda drone and desert survival kits). But Phobens have their own secret designs: Desert Fang, the dagger made from desert skate tail, and armored bandages made from skate's skin, extremely durable but light and comfortable to wear, with great heat insulation effect — it's extremely handy in desert survival.
In addition, Phobens engaged in desert skate breeding. How they tame and breed such dangerous creatures is a mystery, but some hint something about continuous help from Grineer (dead troopers' flesh are used as food for skates)
Phobens live in the desert, so water considered a gift from the gods. A cult was formed in their society, which worship The Life Force. Once per month an armored caravan embarks on a journey to sacred grounds, which is named The Giver of Life to bring Life Force to the tribe. Actually, this is just a raid on Grineer base to replenish colony's water supply.

Edited by DrEADcoffins

Phobens often raid Grineer bases and convoys, have nothing against pillaging. There are many talented engineers, who can improve Grineer equipment and outfits (a few of their achievements include anti-Grineer propaganda drone and desert survival kits). But Phobens have their own secret designs: Desert Fang, the dagger made from desert skate tail, and armored bandages made from skate's skin, extremely durable but light and comfortable to wear, with great heat insulation effect — it's extremely handy in desert survival.

In addition, Phobens engaged in desert skate breeding. How they tame and breed such dangerous creatures is a mystery, but some hint something about continuous help from Grineer (dead troopers' flesh are used as food for skates)

Phobens live in the desert, so water considered a gift from the gods. A cult was formed in their society, which worship The Life Force. Once per month an armored caravan embarks on a journey to sacred grounds, which is named The Giver of Life to bring Life Force to the tribe. Actually, this is just a raid on Grineer base to replenish colony's water supply. Phobens often hire Tenno to protect the caravans.

I love it except for that last little bit about hiring Tenno (I don't think they put much stock in money or outside help), I'll add it to the OP with some minor changes to the wording if your okay with that.

As we well know, Tenno aren't in for credits, they're in for supplies. And what stops them from raiding Grineer stockpiles to provide tenno with some incentive?

Also, since corpus are known for longeivity, I could assume whatever they use to achieve that has a great impact on their bodies, like baldness and maybe other side-effects. Although eh, that's just cyberpunk in me speaking.

phobens_by_dreadcoffins-d7wr66g.png

If I was a Grineer id be running the other way.

And on the subject of Zhon, maybe give him a scar as evidence of his many battles (doesn't have to be a big onee, maybe just a little one across the cheek or something)

Edited by IceDragonofAmber

Had very little spare time, here's 30-mins-or-so worth of work.
These are some automatized units of the anti-corpus resistance.

Left: Kamikaze MOA, basically a Shockwave MOA with explosives strapped to its back and all expensive inner components (including the shockwave generators) stripped for cheap production.
Right: Stun MOA. Armed with a variant of Amprex (reverse-engineered or just straight up toned down on hardware level) powerful just enough to keep a group of Corpus units incapacitated, they usually accompany a group of kamikazes to help them get closer to the enemy and deal maximum damage. Otherwise they are used to neutralize hostiles without lethal force.

(yep, these are pretty much paint-overs)
hPPzBoE.png

I won't be available for some time now, not sure for how long.

If I was a Grineer id be running the other way.

And on the subject of Zhon, maybe give him a scar as evidence of his many battles (doesn't have to be a big onee, maybe just a little one across the cheek or something)

Yeah I figure Zohn needs a mark that mske him stand out.

You see him now as a regular crewman. I want him to have a battle-worn suit, with visible repairs and possibly a custom helmet and so on.

Allso tatoos and hair? Is a must.

How about my idea to model him after Clint Eastwood?

Hey guys. Been a while I know. Just thought I would make an illustration to kinda boost morale and demonstrate my visions of what is going on. Hopefully this inspires a few people at least.

This is the female Ghost of the Red Veil. I chose a white suit because I thought it would be more fitting for characters named "Ghosts" It also has a more feminine feel. I'm wondering if it should be maskless so you can see her face.

I'm not 100% finished on this and I'm not 100% happy about composition problems in it. But oh well, it's gotta be done some time.

I also added in my variant of Tenno pets. A lizard-dog thing. He can crawl on walls and scratch enemies. perhaps with poison spit too? Just throwin it out there.

ghost_chick_by_typhoonbomb-d7wuop8.jpg

Hey guys. Been a while I know. Just thought I would make an illustration to kinda boost morale and demonstrate my visions of what is going on. Hopefully this inspires a few people at least.

This is the female Ghost of the Red Veil. I chose a white suit because I thought it would be more fitting for characters named "Ghosts" It also has a more feminine feel. I'm wondering if it should be maskless so you can see her face.

I'm not 100% finished on this and I'm not 100% happy about composition problems in it. But oh well, it's gotta be done some time.

I also added in my variant of Tenno pets. A lizard-dog thing. He can crawl on walls and scratch enemies. perhaps with poison spit too? Just throwin it out there.

ghost_chick_by_typhoonbomb-d7wuop8.jpg

Oh mah lawd

All the yes

Since I'm dumb and kinda stubborn I'd still like to push the idea of the Grineer heavy gunner counterpart of Zhon. To that end here's something that I came up with.

Lt. Ha Ely Ruk

The Grineer Dissident

After becoming disillusioned by the callousness and hypocrisy of the Grineer command Ha Ely did the unthinkable. She abandoned the Empire. Now she fights alongside Zhon, whose bravery she had come to greatly respect, in fighting the Corpus. However, even after deserting, Ha Ely still hopes the Grineer can be reformed and so refuses to take part in any battle where she might be forced to kill her former brothers-in-arms. Though she has come to grudgingly accept the Tenno as an ally in this fight she resents their continued war against the Grineer.

since I'm not much of an artist here is some possible lore/background.

Background

Like her “sister” Kela De Thaym, Ha Ely became obsessed with the art of war. However, unlike Kela, who sought battle to express her aggression Ha Ely fought for what she believed to be the enlightenment of the system through Grineer rule. Her skill and honor on the field soon drew the attention of one of the Empire's most famous heroes: General Sargas Ruk. So impressed was he with the young woman's abilities he quickly recruited her into his forces. Ha Ely grew very close to Sargas Ruk, viewing him as a sort of father figure, even going so far as to take part of his name as her own and quickly rose through the ranks.

It was during this time that Ha Ely gained her own legendary status. It occurred during a joint operation with the Tenno, a mercenary force Ha Ely thoroughly loathed but were admittedly very capable in battle, against the Corpus. The mission had been going smoothly until the Corpus crewmen, who had been putting up stiff resistance, suddenly retreated. The lights flickered as a power surge pulsed through the galleon. Ha Ely Heard the screams of her before she saw an image of Alad V flicker into view, taunting the Tenno. Suddenly a Corpus quadruped unlike anything Ha Ely had seen before rushed out into the open, its claws still stained with the blood of Grineer soldiers.

The Tenno, as expected, turned and ran from the fight. Later Ha Ely would learn the entire battle had been set up by Alad V as an ambush for the Tenno. At the time however all she could think of was avenging her fallen comrades. She leveled her gorgon lmg at the mechanical monstrosity and fired a searing torrent of metal. Its shield held and it began charging toward her at an incredible speed. She was only just able to dodge its jaws. She spun around, gorgon already spitting hot lead, trying to break through its shields.

The fight lasted what felt like hours. Ha Ely felt her strength waning even as she desperately dove away from the explosive bolts the creature had fired at her. She steeled her resolve leveling her gorgon one last time. If she was to die, she would at least die with the honor and dignity of a warrior. She squeezed the trigger and the quadruped charged through the hailstorm of bullets. Ha Ely Braced herself for the inevitable impact, but as she did a miracle occurred. The beasts shield finally gave way and the stream of bullets tore off one of its legs. It veered to the side, unable to keep balance, crashing into a nearby stack of crates.

Seeing her chance Ha Ely loaded another magazine and began raining a metallic river of destruction on the creature. First another leg came flying off, then a huge hole appeared in its abdomen. Finally the beast's head disintegrated under the storm of Ha Ely's fury and the quadruped ceased to function.

After the incident Ha Ely was praised by her colleagues and subordinates. But the high command had a very different response. She was made to stand before a panel of senior officers and berated for destroying such a valuable asset. They had been in on the intended ambush from the beginning and had coordinated with Alad V so in order to defeat and capture the Tenno she had been accompanying. Appalled by this discovery, but unable to do anything about it, she returned to duty with a token promotion to the rank of lieutenant.

This might have been the end of Ha Ely's dissatisfaction but another event soon after sent another shockwave through her soul. Almost everyone heard of the disaster aboard the galleon Hibernus. Three of the marines went insane and killed every other living soul in their cell before they could be subdued. What most never learned however, was that the three had been reconditioned and been redeployed in the field. Through her correspondence with Sargas Ruk, Ha Ely learned of this development and shared her superior's horrified disgust.

This, along with her previous upbraiding, caused Ha Ely to do something few Grineer did and that none were ever encouraged to do. She began to question the will of the Empire. She began to see the evidence of moral corruption all around her. Colonies not liberated, but enslaved. Soldiers sent to die in pointless battles as their officers secretly feuded with one another. Underhanded dealing with the Corpus. Civilians massacred in genocidal raids with seemingly to reason other than pure malice. It was pervasive and inescapable. In the face of such overwhelming criminal systems perpetuated by her own people Ha Ely did the only thing she could to save her sanity. She abandoned the Empire.

Sorry in advance if i made any glaring mistakes.

Edited by HuangZilong