Allies Of The Tenno (Putting This On Hold For Now) [Update 10/17]

HappyApathy

Cantis (concept art sketch)

cantis_by_panzerthetank-d81iyr9.jpg

First rough layout of Cantis, one of the leaders of the Red Veil. I'm trying to figure out her looks at the moment.

Feedback is highly appreciated :)

I've seen Eos armor plates on her

Edited by Altey

Holy $#!% I've been busy. I'm am incredibly sorry to everyone for not replying for so long, I normally try to reply within a day but things just got crazy with my life for a while.

@Izayoi-Alpha

Added your voice acting suggestions and your character idea of Viter. If you have anything more to suggest feel free too.

@Daniel_Kevlar

Added in the Vandal Hacker as a unit and credited you and IceDragonofAmber for it. I rewrote it in a way that I hope would fit into Warframe's fast paced game play.

I also added in your Ghost hideout idea's that you mailed to me. Look forward to anymore ideas you can come up with.

@AlphaHorseman

I'm about 3/4 of the way through rewriting Lyza Tal's story, if your looking for some way to help right now you could come up with some ideas for Friendly Hubs. You might also want to look at what I have for Cantis' back story which is still work in progress,  It should be popping up soon.

I would also like to mention I got an artist who has agreed to a concept for Ren Huud, however as I mentioned before his back story has a number of issues and even the artist agreed it needed a rework. I might mail you the details later but for now you could try and rework it yourself, though I'll probably start redoing it myself soon.

@Acer_Augmented

I'm personally iffy on the idea of 'tame' sand skates, the way I see it the Phoben's treat them more like farmed fish rather then loyal companions, I would put skate intelligence on par with fish and could see Phoben's corralling them into enclosed areas for easier breeding and harvesting but I can't really see them been tamed as pets. If you have any ideas for improving this idea please do suggest it.

@arch111

Still look forward to seeing finished 3D concepts from you. As for your request for environment art I suggest you try messaging artists directly, mind you most of the artists I've seen here are more into character design rather then drawing landscapes or environments.

@Panzer_the_Tank

I am really REALLY sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I love the direction you are going and the addition of the scars is something I hadn't thought of but entirely approve of (I prefer the one on the left personally instead of having her blind in one eye). The only thing I can really suggest is trying out different hairstyles, that's all really. In the final concept you come up with her I would prefer it would be helmet-less like you have on the left, I also hope you can give her a weapon of some sort, I know I suggested a few when I first contacted you but you can give her anything as long as it fits the Wraith theme (I must admit though I would prefer if you didn't use the Strun Wraith though I know you've drawn it a number of times in your other artwork).

People have brought up 'Eos Armor' but to be frank I actually like the idea of Ghosts looking more 'rough' and the whole purpose of this thread is to shape the Red Veil into been something more interesting then a bunch of reskinned hostage models with a few extra attachments, the final design for the Red Veil is still in flux and DE is known to redo/rework the entire appearance of characters so I don't see why it can't here as well.

I'm going to be posting an entire post dedicated to Cantis soon and will encourage people to provide feedback for both her character and appearance.

Edited by HappyApathy

Cantis (concept art sketch)

cantis_by_panzerthetank-d81iyr9.jpg

First rough layout of Cantis, one of the leaders of the Red Veil. I'm trying to figure out her looks at the moment.

Feedback is highly appreciated :)

Looking for feedback on Cantis' appearance and character.

Love the way this going, left my feedback about her appearance in the previous post.

--------------------------------------------

Before anyone mentions 'Eos Armor' Let me say a few things:

1. The final design of the Red Veil is, as far as I know, still in flux and can be changed, DE has done it in the past with enemies who end up getting a complete makeover so I don't see why that can't happen here, and frankly I hope they turn out to be more interesting then a bunch of reskinned hostage models with a few extra attachments.

2. There's a big difference between been a super powered void ninja blinging out your high-tech combat armor, and been a regular human being and expecting a few strips of decorative metal to save you from a hail of bullets. If you've been thrown in a prison cell you would expect to be stripped down to your space PJ's, but given the chance to prepare for combat I would think the Red Veil would wear armor that is a bit more substantial and with more body coverage.

Notes I sent to Panzer_the_Tank when describing her appearance:

- I would actually like Cantis to be of Asian ethnicity to add some diversity to Warframe

- Like other Red Veil Ghosts, her appearance would be based off the hostage model though augmented with custom armor and/or stolen Grineer armor (repainted with a Wraith theme)

- As the back story says, one of her legs should a mechanical prosthetic from the knee down, while it should look like it's made from Grineer pieces, it should look more recognizably 'human' then a Grineer prosthetic, it would also be painted with a Wraith theme

- Cantis' age would be about mid-late twenties

- While I'm not saying she shouldn't be pretty, she isn't meant to be the image of feminine grace, she is a warrior who cares little about outward appearance and has no use for cosmetics

- If you could give her a Karak Wraith (which mind you doesn't exist yet) that would be great, otherwise I would imagine her carrying a Gorgon Wraith, though that might be a bit large and unwieldy for someone her size and build. Might also consider strapping a Machete Wraith across her back

- She shouldn't be smiling, more of a "I'm going to kill you" kind of look

----------------------------------------------

The current existing character of Cantis (and the whole Red Veil Resistance actually) is rather flat, ambiguous, and not altogether that interesting. One thing I hope to achieve with this concept is to rework Cantis to be a more defined character with actual depth and background that we can relate with and provide more perspective into the world of Warframe beyond the battlefield, currently the only character that achieves this significantly is Darvo, and frankly we need more Darvos.

Here's what's been done so far for the written portion of Cantis (pulled from the OP):

Cantis (Tentative)

Due to the fact Cantis is already an existing character whether or not this will ultimately be applied to her or an entirely new character will depend on how she is developed in game, it would also likely be a bit of a retcon of the character she currently is (however little developed it is) if it were to be applied

The Grineer took everything from me, from everyone here, it is only fair we return the favor”

- Cantis of the Red Veil

Born a Grineer slave, Cantis' life is a tale of tragedy that has turned her into the embodiment of hate and anger towards the Grineer; she would be the leader of the Ghosts and the one you would receive Ghost related quests and missions and likely be the one giving you mission updates and directives while you run them. If she is seen in game during a mission her weapon of choice would likely be either dual Wraith Vipers or a Gorgon Wraith, maybe a Karak Wraith, possibly engaging melee combat at times with a Machete Wraith.

Though likely youngest character to appear in game she would be one of the most intense and severe personalities you would encounter. Her entire life has been spent plotting revenge against the Grineer and she has no time or use for any sort of pleasantries or leisure outside of that, it has been a long time since she ever truly smiled. The way I describe her demeanor is like 'cold fire', while on the surface she mains a composed and seemingly emotionless guise, underneath burns a hatred and loathing towards the Grineer that is frightening when it does boil out of her. She would actually be one of the darker characters of Warframe, despite been an ally.

Possible personality trait: Slightly unhinged

You Tenno, so safe in your secret hideouts and little ships, you have no idea what it's like to live out here in real world, to spend your childhood as a dog slave, to watch as friends and family die everyday from bullets and starvation, the Grineer have sent me to hell, AND I WILL PULL THEM DOWN HERE AND MAKE THEM BURN WITH ME”

- Conversation with Cantis

Cantis for the most part would be cold and quite taciturn about most things, and while Cantis should never be considered some sort of psychopath, it would be a quite a character twist if the inner fire that drives would on rare occasions boil to the surface and show her true colors, maybe when she gets really riled up in her rhetoric against the Grineer, or during battle. Compared to the Vandals who for the most part would hold the moral high ground the Ghosts are meant to be more a moral gray zone, where at times you might question whether it is okay to combat the hatred of the Grineer by fighting with a group that seems just as equally hateful towards them.

Voice actress/basis (Suggested by Izayoi-Alpha): DERebecca or DE_Megan, Luci Christian

Back story (Work in progress):

The Girl in Red

Cantis was born into an unforgiving world through tragedy itself, her mother dieing giving birth to her first and only child, a fate not uncommon in the Grineer slave pit where she was conceived. Cantis' earliest memories were of working on an assembly line alongside her father where they, along with hundreds of other slaves, assembled the prosthetic limbs that the Grineer depended upon. The monotony of their work was only broken by the harsh shouts of the brutal taskmaster, the crack and searing pain of his whip, and occasionally the ring of a gunshot as a random slave was chosen, put against the wall and shot every time a product turned out to be defective. The only break the workers were given was their daily meal, a rotten gruel with little taste, often slaves would gather and compete to see who had the most maggots in their dish, the winner been envied for their greater serving of protein for that day.

The only contact with the world beyond the boundaries of the slave colony was the occasional Corpus freighter that delivered the vital electronics that the Grineer needed to make their prostheses function to maintain their degrading bodies. Slaves would often talk amongst themselves about grand schemes to get on one of these freighters and escape from the hell hole they were trapped in; however much of this was wishful thinking as each slave had a Grineer restraint embedded into their leg (not unlike an Ascaris or Grustrag Bolt) that acted as a tracker and kill switch for their Grineer overseers, any attempt to tamper with the device would result in a fatal electric shock been discharged into the host.

Despite the horrific conditions, Cantis was still able to endure much of it with a degree of happiness thanks to her father, who despite everything still lived with a smile on his face, a twinkle in his eye, and did everything he could to give his daughter the best childhood he could, even pushing the rules and his luck when he could just so he could give his child something to smile about.

It was one of her father's schemes of love that would forever change Cantis' life and set her on the path of vengeance. In the dimming twilight Cantis' father took her by the hand and lead her through the fume and dust chocked slave colony to a decommissioned factory tower, for months he had scouted and observed the guard patrols and knew it would be a long time before any were due to pass again.

As he pulled out the rusted door control panel and began to fiddle with the wiring, Cantis looked around nervously and warned her father that what he was doing was against the rules, her father smiled and whimsically stated “My dear Cany, if a rule is unfair it deserves to be broken”. After gaining entry into the tower Cantis' father lead her to the tower elevator, Cantis continued to look around cautiously as they road the lift to the roof.

Cantis could only gape in awe as her father popped open the roof hatch, the sky above her shimmered and danced with light as stars filled the darkness of the night. Cantis had never seen the night sky like this before, the view from the ground been chocked by the dust and fumes from the factories, as she stared wide eyed into the vastness of space her father smiled at been able to bring even this small moment of joy into their harsh lives. The pair sat down on the roof with Cantis snuggled in her father's lap as she excitedly asked the questions any inquisitive child would, how many stars were there? How far away were they? What were they made of? Her father answered her as best he could, making stories and tales up when he didn't know the answer himself. The two enjoyed a true moment of bliss and content that was seeming inconceivable on a world tailor made for misery and suffering.

-------------------------Summary of how I plan the rest of the story plays out (this gets really dark):

- Unbeknownst to the pair there is an attempted (failed) escape by another slave, because they are on the roof they miss an alert that the slave colony has been put into lock down

- Unaware of what has happened Cantis and her father leave the factory tower only to run straight into a Grineer patrol. The Grineer toy with Cantis' father, reducing him to begging on his knees that they spare his daughter, eventually the Grineer get bored of their game and turn their guns on the pair. In a final act of desperation and love Cantis' father throws himself upon his daughter and uses his own body as a shield against the hail of bullets. Cantis lies frozen in a state of shock and horror under her father's corpse, assuming them both dead (or simply not caring) the Grineer depart, leaving what they assume to be two dead bodies for the other slaves to pick up and bury later

- After lying still under her father's body for a number of hours, Cantis crawls out from under him, still in a dazed and horror struck state, her clothing stained a deep a crimson, a changed girl, Cantis will never truly be able to experience happiness again and any sort of childhood innocence died with her father, Red becomes a theme color that she will always wear

- For years afterwards Cantis quietly works on a plan to escape the slave colony, stealing bits and pieces from the factory (keep in mind what they make there) for her project and collecting other items she would need. On the day of her escape she hacks off her own leg that has the tracker on it and (very painfully) shoves on a crude Grineer leg she has made from stolen parts and stows away on a Corpus freighter

- After her escape Cantis' works as a part of various pirate and mercenary groups, however she never loses sight of her true purpose and intent

- After years of honing her skills, Cantis reappears on Sedna where she becomes the catalyst for the rebellion that is mentioned in the codex entry for the Serro and founds the Red Veil resistance
Edited by HappyApathy

Holy $#!% I've been busy. I'm am incredibly sorry to everyone for not replying for so long, I normally try to reply within a day but things just got crazy with my life for a while.

@Izayoi-Alpha

Added your voice acting suggestions and your character idea of Viter. If you have anything more to suggest feel free too.

Cool, thanks for putting up my suggestion! And I'll let you know if I want to put more suggestions ^^

Just drew some Callistean weaponry:

NYwLO2p.png

(sorry about the poor color choices)

The general Idea was to go for a Corpus-y look, but with more curves and varied angles.

Tried to differentiate their weaponry through alternating firemodes and physical transformations.

The pistol version uses standard cartridges to make up for it's size and lack of power.

The last bit are a couple of rough sketches (I don't like how the all look so similar, so some ajustments are needed)

Edited by EVAtemplar117

@Panzer_the_Tank

I am really REALLY sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I love the direction you are going and the addition of the scars is something I hadn't thought of but entirely approve of (I prefer the one on the left personally instead of having her blind in one eye). The only thing I can really suggest is trying out different hairstyles, that's all really. In the final concept you come up with her I would prefer it would be helmet-less like you have on the left, I also hope you can give her a weapon of some sort, I know I suggested a few when I first contacted you but you can give her anything as long as it fits the Wraith theme (I must admit though I would prefer if you didn't use the Strun Wraith though I know you've drawn it a number of times in your other artwork).

People have brought up 'Eos Armor' but to be frank I actually like the idea of Ghosts looking more 'rough' and the whole purpose of this thread is to shape the Red Veil into been something more interesting then a bunch of reskinned hostage models with a few extra attachments, the final design for the Red Veil is still in flux and DE is known to redo/rework the entire appearance of characters so I don't see why it can't here as well.

I'm going to be posting an entire post dedicated to Cantis soon and will encourage people to provide feedback for both her character and appearance.

Alright, so left one it is. I will try some different body types and hairs. As for the weapon, I agree the strun wraith doesn't suit her, but maybe the machete does? 

Added artwork by EVAtemplar117

Just drew some Callistean weaponry:

NYwLO2p.png

(sorry about the poor color choices)

The general Idea was to go for a Corpus-y look, but with more curves and varied angles.

Tried to differentiate their weaponry through alternating firemodes and physical transformations.

The pistol version uses standard cartridges to make up for it's size and lack of power.

The last bit are a couple of rough sketches (I don't like how the all look so similar, so some adjustments are needed)

Sorry this update took so long, same old excuse, school and stuff. Love these ideas for weapons for the Colony of Callisto. Been a highly technological society themselves the idea was to arm them with gauss/railgun type weapons to differentiate them from the Corpus.

Before anyone mentions the Lanka I actually accounted for it in the explanation for Callisto's weaponry in their description.

While there are arguably a few Tenno made weapons that function in a similar fashion to gauss/railguns the idea here is a kind of technological convergence situation where two groups arrive at the same answer by different methods, besides if Callisto ever existed their weapons could be done in a way that makes them different in functionality from Tenno made projectile weapons.

@Senketsu

Cantis' gender is arguably up in the air as the picture of her is fairly ambiguous (though it leans on been more feminine) and we have only heard from her in the 1st person when she refers to herself. However while not definitively canon Cantis is referred to as a woman on the wiki and about 90% of the time she is mentioned on the forums. I also personally think there is a lack of significant female NPC's in Warframe right now, with the Lotus really been the only significant and developed one right now (though there is strong argument she might be an AI), outside of her we have Kela de Thaym whose only purpose right now is to be a punching bag, Sprag and Venkra'Tel who at best are minor characters of little importance (but strangely having more character and personality then Kela), and the Twin Queens who despite been integral to Warframe lore have yet to make a significant appearance in game.

Also the whole purpose of this thread is to bring definition and character to the Red Veil, including that of the nature/role of Cantis. So for all intensive purposes I will treat Cantis as a woman unless DE definitively states otherwise.

@Panzer_the_Tank

Just so you know I'm not against the hairstyle/appearance you've given Cantis in your early concept, just suggesting trying out others. As for weapons I'll leave it up to you to decide what will go best with her, you could possibly strap on multiple weapons to her if you want.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...