Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Was Volt Made A Starter Frame Again?

ArgonTheFox

Ehh... a lot of your arguments seem to be based off the fact that he's clan tech... but Volt has only recently been clan tech.

At the beginning, he was a starter frame. His parts could be gotten from the J3-Golem boss on Jupiter.

Then, Mag replaced him as a starter frame. After a while, J3 was removed and became Lephantis, who now drops Nekros parts. Volt then joined Banshee in this nebuos position where their parts could only be tracked down as random mission rewards.

It was only when the Tenno Lab became a thing that they both found a new home. Volt is Clan Research to make him easier to acquire, not to make him a status symbol.

So, with the new player experience and the fact that Loki is a frame better for experienced players, it makes sense why they'd go and restore Volt to his starter-frame status. He's an excellent all-rounder frame whose powers complement a range of gameplay styles, after all.

Regardless of Volt's history, Volt is no longer dropped by J3, he is now Clan Research, if Volt was still dropped by a boss, I wouldn't care. That was then, and this is now. Volt may have been a starter frame previously, but now I feel he is no longer suitable due to his method of acquisition, and if Volt was still a random mission reward, I would also think he would still be inappropriate as a starter frame. Both Excalibur and Mag have basic methods towards acquiring them, in the form of killing a boss, whereas Volt's method is much more complex, time consuming, and resource intensive. When I began playing Warframe, I was at Pluto within 2 days, if I hadn't picked Excalibur as a beginning frame, I could have easily acquired him, whereas I do not have Volt until this day, because I come from a small clan, who is only just now reaching the research labs.

I understand Volt is a very flexible frame who like you said, compliments a variety of styles, however if his method of acquisition was on par with Excalibur and Mag, I feel he would be much more appropriate, and much less infringing on past players who have had to obtain him through Clan Research.

Regardless of Volt's history, Volt is no longer dropped by J3, he is now Clan Research, if Volt was still dropped by a boss, I wouldn't care. That was then, and this is now. Volt may have been a starter frame previously, but now I feel he is no longer suitable due to his method of acquisition, and if Volt was still a random mission reward, I would also think he would still be inappropriate as a starter frame. Both Excalibur and Mag have basic methods towards acquiring them, in the form of killing a boss, whereas Volt's method is much more complex, time consuming, and resource intensive. When I began playing Warframe, I was at Pluto within 2 days, if I hadn't picked Excalibur as a beginning frame, I could have easily acquired him, whereas I do not have Volt until this day, because I come from a small clan, who is only just now reaching the research labs.

I understand Volt is a very flexible frame who like you said, compliments a variety of styles, however if his method of acquisition was on par with Excalibur and Mag, I feel he would be much more appropriate, and much less infringing on past players who have had to obtain him through Clan Research.

The prestige of building a clan is in the clan itself, not the research tech it provides. It's very easy to join an existing clan to get access to research, after all. Many clans, my own (which, like yours, is a small clan I built) included, exist for that exact purpose.

For the average player, Volt is by far the easiest of the three to get. Simply join an existing clan whose research is complete, and purchase the blueprints. The credits can be found by running a few Dark Sectors.

I sympathize with you that the process was a lot more complex and time intensive in your experience, as I myself experienced much the same with Banshee and Zephyr, but your argument essentially hinges on the notion that it's unfair that 30% of new players get what a tiny fraction of the existing player base had to grind really hard for.

Never mind the fact that your hard work means you've got access to brand new weapons and future clan tech projects, whereas those 30% of new players still need to grind pretty far to get to the same point as you.

The game has enough content walls as-is. Let this one go.

Funny. I have always found it rather strange that Loki was a starter frame. Personally I believed that Ash or Volt would make better starters than him. As for Clan Research... I can't say I care. I threw all the needed funds in the Dojo research and went back to farming anyway.

Loki Starter opinion:

As a Loki Starter I can attest Volt is not a better starter frame, maybe equal. Picking Loki, as a starter frame, was like picking hard. Loki as a warframe is like a fine wine. He gets better with age as you progress. The reason why is because Loki is all guns and swords. As a Loki starter, Loki taught me to rely purely on my guns and swords, and to be honest, it was pure hell in the beginning stages, relying on a mk1 braton, lato and a skana. Especially because my friends and other players had caster that could clear our whole room with a press of a button. In those days, Loki was not high valued and was considered one of the worst frames in the game. Everyone that started with him wanted to get rid of him as soon as possible. All my friends moved on to either frost, volt, or ash and deleted Loki as soon as possible. ( I kept my Loki, and he got me through thick and thin)

Loki only gets good with rank and age. The reason why is because you need really good weapons and mods to make Loki work. The reason this be is because Loki abilities is based around crowd control but you still must rely on your gun and sword to do all the work. With Volt on the other hand, his base ability shock can kill 3 enemies with little effort on low-med level missions. His overload ability can kill a whole room of low-med-high level enemies with ease.

Its kind of sad thou. There will be no more pro, hardcore Loki players that will truly know the struggles, rewards, and lessons of a Loki starter. All we will have now is Loki noobs that will only use Loki's to switch teleport to troll, spam radial disarm, and make a jacked up unbalanced narrowminded Loki.

Starting with Loki will make you an excellent tenno. Top of the class. Gun and Sword.

But Volt is a better starter for the average player (causal gamers), and he was easier to design around for the beginning mission.

Edited by OrphanMaker

As a Loki Starter I can attest Volt is not a better starter frame. Picking Loki, as a starter frame, was like pick hard. Loki as a warframe is like a fine wine. He gets better with age as you progress. The reason why is because Loki is all guns and swords. As a Loki starter, Loki taught me to rely purely on my guns and swords, and to be honest, it was pure hell in the beginning stages, relying on a mk1 braton, lato and a skana. Especially because my friends and other players had caster that could clear our whole room with a press of a button. In those days, Loki was not high valued and was considered one of the worst frames in the game. Everyone that started with him wanted to get rid of him as soon as possible. All my friends moved on to either frost, volt, or ash and deleted Loki as soon as possible. ( I kept my Loki, and he got me through thick and thin)

Loki only gets good with rank and age. The reason why is because you need really good weapons to make Loki work. The reason this be is because Loki abilities is based around crowd control but you still must rely on your gun and sword to do all the work. With Volt on the other hand, his base ability shock can kill 3 enemies with little effort on low-med level missions. His overload ability can kill a whole room of low-med-high level enemies with ease.

Its kind of sad thou. There will be no more pro, hardcore Loki players that will truly know the struggles, rewards, and lessons of a Loki starter. All we will have now is Loki noobs that can only use Loki to switch teleport, troll, spam radial disarm, and make a jacked up unbalanced narrowminded Loki.

Starting with Loki will make you an excellent tenno. Top of the class. Gun and Sword.

But 99% of loki newbs are totally incapable of actually playing the game.

I agree with the "pick hard" thing, but still Loki is only a good frame when you already know the game and how everything works. 

New players need "easy to use" powers to begin with, and solid warframes. 

The only thing that bothers me is that both Mag and Volt are specialized against Corpus, while we begin the game against Grineer.

i'd say that if a frame has to be called starter frame that is oberon, it has a bit of healng, deals radiation damage wich is good against grinners  and is a bit thoughter than mag and excal, volt is a nightmare to start with (i started with one in cbt so you can trust me on this) and back in the times i can't even recall how many times i cursed myself for not picking excal before working out how to use volt and the right mods that he needs

Edited by bl4ckhunter

i'd say that if a frame has to be called starter frame that is oberon, it has a bit of healng, deals radiation damage wich is good against grinners  and is a bit thoughter than mag and excal, volt is a nightmare to start with (i started with one in cbt so you can trust me on this) and back in the times i can't even recall how many times i cursed myself for not picking excal before working out how to use volt and the right mods that he needs

This would actually be a good idea. Oberon is the second frame most people get anyways.

I find it ironic people are commenting about Loki, talking about how his Decoy cannot kill, considering I addressed that in the opening post.

Somehow I get the distinct impression many of the people posting here have only read the title.

I read half the post. My apologies about that.

Edited by Casardis

Hasn't Volt changed a lot since closed beta, though? Overload is faster, Shock has a guaranteed stun, Speed buffs all allies, and Electric Shield is huge, plus he's got shields to rival Mag.

Volt was the second frame I used and I always found him to be powerful and flexible, even back when people called him the weakest frame in the game.

Edited by Varzy

Volt is massively, massively difficult to get for normal players, so I feel like ive been kicked in the teeth, because my clan has invested thousands of items and hundreds of hours into getting the labs and research for Volt, so what does DE do? Completely devalue all our work and effort by handing it out for free.

You are totally full of it!

I am in a clan of just 2 people and have researched every single piece of clantech in the game with out any effort. it takes a maximum of 10 hours of gameplay to get the materials for all of volts parts.

Hundreds of hours my foot, what is your clan a bunch of blind! fingerless!! pensioners! who play by sound with their noses on the keyboard????

Could you not have picked a different frame to be the starter frame, DE? Volt is massively, massively difficult to get for normal players, so I feel like ive been kicked in the teeth, because my clan has invested thousands of items and hundreds of hours into getting the labs and research for Volt, so what does DE do? Completely devalue all our work and effort by handing it out for free. I wouldn't care if Volt was obtained by a normal means such as killing a boss, but the fact hes part of Clan Research for normal players is silly. In my opinion, the methods in which Loki and Volt are obtained should be switched, or another frame should be put in Volt's place as a starter frame. Its a huge insult to everyone who got Volt after he was added to Clan Research. 

In the most recent Dev Stream, it was stated Volt was selected because Loki made it awkward designing the tutorial, due to Loki's lack of an offensive ability, however there are literally loads of other frames that could have been used in his place, while being fair on veteran players. Ember, Frost, even Saryn come to mind.

This is not EVE Online. You have not paid for 5 years worth of training for skills and then have the company just sell XP points on the market for cash. If that happened, the "what about all the time and money invested" might mean something.

What we have here is a game that literally leaks XP, cash, loot and materials from every pore. A party of 4 gets to pickup the same loot because it stays on the ground.

Saying that an entire clan did "hard work" and it's now "devalued" is ludicrous. Everything was free drops, probably from sitting on a lamp post and bombing a Cryopod at zero risk, and if you did actually put cash to do something, it should have been obvious that you did so to speed things up, so you got exactly your money worth.

I had Volt as a starter back in start of 2013, all DE did is put him back again. This game does not owe you any explanations, stop thinking that anything you do here has meaning, as nothing in this game has any lasting consequences.

Edited by DSpite

Im one of those people that long long ago farmed Volt off the J-3 golem. Jupiters boss at the time. I had picked excalibur as my first frame, as Im sure most people do, and I hated him. He just doesnt mesh well with my playstyle but when I did some research on Volt he sounded just about perfect for me and when I finally built him he became my favorite warframe in the game so far (the only ones I havnt played yet are mirage, loki, and zephyr). Things only got better as he was buffed.

However back then the starting caster frame was Mag, if I recall correctly. Shes always been one of the more difficult to understand frames IMO. Shes more of a team caster then Volt which isnt that great for starting players. However Volt packs a range of powers that are all extremely useful for solo play giving players a powerful caster warframe from the start and hes got great group utility now. Thats a good thing. You want new players to have strong starter frames that mesh well with their playstyle and can be useful in both group and solo gameplay. Mag was never a good choice for that IMO. However Volt is probably the best choice

Frankly Ive never been a fan of the clan researched frames. I feel like all weapons and frames should be available to everyone despite their clan status. However I dont have a problem with new players getting ahold of volt for free because I know hes a strong frame and I know starting with a strong frame is more likely to make new players stick around. Without a strong starter frame you're going to see more people play the game for a few days, weeks, or months, and then not play it anymore.

TBH Volt is a much better starter than Loki. Damage abilites. Some team helping stuff. Loki is harder to master and learn and is more reliant on weapons. Loki in the start can be frustrating because you don't got mods or the weapons to make him as effective(But when you do he is DA BEST because his abilities unlike other ones are always useful no matter which level the enemy is)

This is on of those petty complaint threads i have come to loathe.

You have made a clan. Nice. You grinded ressources and waited a bit to unlock something. Nice.

Everlasting testimonoy to your ability as  gamer? Not.

You played the game and got volt. Other played the game and got Volt when he was a drop. Some others just bought it.

What the heck are you whing about here exactly? Did someone steal your volts? No i guess not.

So what if others get it for free? Does that devalue your "accomplishment"?

My, i am sure everytime i see a volt in a game i think "Oh this glorious clan masterrace player must have spent hopurs playing this fun game to get that absolutly mediocre warframe unlocked. I am so jealous!" ...

Are you complaining about the loss of bragging rights? BR that never were there in the first place because noone gives a flying fck about your equipment as long as you do not blow using it?

Stop being a jerk.

Could you not have picked a different frame to be the starter frame, DE? Volt is massively, massively difficult to get for normal players, so I feel like ive been kicked in the teeth, because my clan has invested thousands of items and hundreds of hours into getting the labs and research for Volt, so what does DE do? Completely devalue all our work and effort by handing it out for free. I wouldn't care if Volt was obtained by a normal means such as killing a boss, but the fact hes part of Clan Research for normal players is silly. In my opinion, the methods in which Loki and Volt are obtained should be switched, or another frame should be put in Volt's place as a starter frame. Its a huge insult to everyone who got Volt after he was added to Clan Research. 

In the most recent Dev Stream, it was stated Volt was selected because Loki made it awkward designing the tutorial, due to Loki's lack of an offensive ability, however there are literally loads of other frames that could have been used in his place, while being fair on veteran players. Ember, Frost, even Saryn come to mind.

Volt used to be on golem, before his removal. So you are a minority affected. Also, volt is a vintage starter frame

Im sorry

Are you entitled to anything?

Is volt actually difficult to make?

Does it affect you negatively?

Can you not join a lan that has the research done just to grab volt and leave?

Noones devaluing anything

I find it ironic people are commenting about Loki, talking about how his Decoy cannot kill, considering I addressed that in the opening post.

Somehow I get the distinct impression many of the people posting here have only read the title.

Actually besides volt only ash fit starter eligible choice

This is on of those petty complaint threads i have come to loathe.

the complaint itself is ridiculous but the demand is not too much unlogical

But I'm still not for it, somehow I think volt suit the clantech research and loki suit the starmap

Is Volt a starter frame again with the PC update? He wasn't for PS4 (else I probably would have gone with him). I decided to buy him from the store since he's super cheap. I love him, lots of fun for me to play.

He's a good starter frame (better than Loki for a beginner). He's not big on the defense category but the rest of his skills aren't tough to figure out how to learn in a fast manner. But then again, learning to use any frame properly for teamwork is a whole different ball game. I don't see many Volts (only one, seriously) out there  using their shield for the party benefit or protection... nor do I see a Rhino  or Nova sticking near a group, so forth and so on..... so they all have their purpose and use. Depends on the player's frame of mind (ha ha)

Edited by (PS4)Folkeye

Might want to go on and look up the definition of the word "ironic".

Also, you didn't "address" the issue of no offensive abilities in the opening post. You "mentioned" it. They gave the reason why Loki was not a starter frame; lack of offensive abilities. You "address" it by saying other frames have offensive abilities. Which does nothing to say why Volt shouldn't be a starter frame.

In fact, your stint in the opening post where you go on about how Volt is obtained works exactly counter to Volt not being a starter frame. You don't have to farm for Volt's components. No RNG struggle getting the parts. So changing him back to a starter frame would be less of a sharp transition in acquisition.

Yes, he used to be a starter frame, so it's perfectly logical for him to be a choice to be returned to that position. The real question is "Why shouldn't Volt be a starter frame?" 

It's understandable that they removed Loki from the starter list; it was sort of a long time coming, and a popular demand on these very forums. All of my friends who stopped playing Warframe early on did so because they made the decision, above what I recommended, to pick Loki because he was marked "for advanced players" (wrongly believing this just meant he was more powerful). You should never have an 'advanced' class included in the starters, when the whole point of a starter class is the assumption that the player has no prior experience with the game.

That said, I do take issue with them putting Volt back in his place. Don't get me wrong, I love playing Volt, but the problem is the playstyles offered: Excalibur's more of a melee and mobility frame, Mag is more support and power-based, and Loki was the stealth option - now replaced with another supportive, power-based frame, which rather limits your early playstyle options. Now even understanding that the starting experience would've been impossible as a Loki due to not having any offensive powers for the first segment right out of the pod, you still have a pre-built, perfect alternative in Ash! 

Edited by Archwizard