Please Be Considerate When Designing Huds And Uis

DrFail

I haven’t really posted here before, but I feel that this really needs to be mentioned in an area outside of all the current “bring the old UI back” or "New UI is terrible" topics, and nothing I’ve read seems to really cover it well. Or when it does cover it well it’s understandably typed by or immediately responded to by someone who is very, very angry and so the message gets muddled a bit by rage. So I want to give a shot at it now that there's been a few days time.

DE, Please take the extra few minutes to consider certain minorities when designing your huds and interfaces. I know it’s not really easy to think about issues that you haven’t experienced, Trust me, I know. I’m not blaming you. But please try to remember to do it. Add a post-it note to your monitors about it or something.

What do I mean by minorities? Well, let’s look at the topic everyone has an opinion about at the moment: the new UI.

It’s sleek, it’s pretty. You obviously put a lot of work into it and that’s great. It’s a bit less efficient but I’m sure I could get used to that and I’m certainly willing to at least try. But there’s a big problem with it that I’m physically incapable of getting past because of my genes or what-have-you.

The constant mouse induced UI movement, skewing text, and other such elements on screens that we have to read to properly play (such as the arsenal and modding screens) causes nausea in those susceptible to such things, myself included. Back when you first redesigned the new HUD, its constant movement induced nausea as well (Though thankfully you patched in an option to fix it). After you guys patched that option in I thought you had caught onto the problem and things would be smoother. But now the new UI has come through and… it’s causing nausea and isn’t bundled with a safe option.

I know people with this problem are in the minority, but they’re still a decent sized chunk. Surely the extra money and support from these people and their friends would be worth the small amount of extra time needed to bundle in the option? As a fan of your game I am asking, no, begging you: please from now on, when you design elements that move about the screen in such ways or flash lights at the corner of your vision for whatever reason, whenever possible please don’t release them until you have added a “stop the movement” checkbox in the options menu. I am sure you can understand that nothing absolutely destroys hype or excitement to get into a new update more than being made ill and not being able to fix it. Again, most people don’t have this problem and I wouldn’t want to hold the update away from them for three extra weeks or something like that, but I’m not sure that such bundled in options would take much longer at all. It feels like you guys just aren’t realizing that you need to include them quite yet. Which is understandable. But please, please start including them in the initial update.

Additionally, some people through no fault of their own are colorblind. When designing things, like the new planet UI, please take a picture and put it into gray scale. It’s not the best (and definitely not the most accurate) testing method but it is one that would take only a few minutes of your time and would be better than nothing. If, after you have gray scaled the image, you cannot clearly and easily make out differences between options or entities on your user interface, please consider changing something, whether it be adding a label or just making them visually different enough in some other way for color to not play as large an effect. For example, an easy solution in this case would have been to add clearer name labels to the planets in the UI that are present at all times.

Again, I recognize that a minority of players are colorblind, just as a minority will get sick from the menus. But is that really justification to hurt their experience when ensuring they have just as much enjoyment would only take a little extra time? I don’t think you guys are willingly excluding players like this. I don’t see why you would. But maybe you just haven’t yet fully realized that you need to take the small extra step?

To clarify amidst all the other discussions going on; This isn’t asking for the old UI back. This isn’t complaining about the new UI in comparison to the old one. I would even hesitate to call this a critique on the UI. The UI just happens to be the unfortunate most recent guilty case. I know, again, that you guys put a lot of effort into this update and I definitely respect that.

But please start taking the small bit of extra effort required to include day one options for those of us not lucky enough to be born with your eyes and inner ears and all of that wonderful stuff.

Thank you for taking the time to read, whether you be DE staff or member. I appreciate you allowing me to borrow your attention.

Edited by DrFail

So wait, the movement of the UI causes nausea but playing the game doesn't?

That is correct. I can and always have been able to play the game itself with absolutely zero issue, barring when HUD 2.0 first came out. I can play many other games fine, as well. It is just the new UI menu system.

It's not about movement at all, but async relative movement.  There's lots of tutorials (and probably some videos) out there for game designers explaining how to avoid giving players motion sickness with stuff like this, I think DE should take a look at it.

Colorblind issues still appear to be strictly related to doors and lockers, since nothing on the UI has replaced 'Ok' or 'Cancel' buttons with only colors.

I can play games with the craziest camera movement and I'm fine, but when it comes to trying to read moving text, it's not fun. Grab a book, hold it in front of you at about arm's length, and then try to read it for a few minutes while you move the book around in front of you.

I recall seeing colorblind issue posts dealing with the solar chart/planet selection, since they're all the same size, they end up as just spheres of similar blurred colors that lack any distinguishing features.

Interestingly enough, I had to turn on the Hud movement to see the moving effects when I was on the ship, the same toggle as the one that controls the hud displayed during missions, so I have no idea why they'd remove such a thing that was seemingly there to begin with.

The reason that I'd have it turned off before U14 I had to turn it off due to performance issues, but now I can turn it back on without the game backfiring at my graphics card.

Now I do not know if the in-ship interface wasn't moving because I went into the game with that setting already on, but it'd be weird if it happens to be a one time thing because I am positive that all of the menus in the ship were stationary before I swapped back.

And neither do I know if they removed the ship hud being tied to the hud movement toggle during one of the hotfixes, but that to would be somewhat silly, unless it's a unintentional bug.

+1 this thread

-1 new U14 UI design and the failures to realize/understand how changing so many things and forgetting to AT LEAST have as much functionality as the first UI

how do you forget things like hiding the # of OD/void keys? srsly?, why does the foundry show LESS information at a glance now? (# of resources left, etc)

WHY is the navigation circle so awful looking? (what happened to the SOLAR SYSTEM) why is the void so awful looking? why do we fly towards grineer galleons? why do the OD missions have you flying towards infested corpus ships? just WHY!!?!?!

certainly you can look out the incredibly tiny window of the ship, but srsly, that crappy view was NOT worth losing the solar system and a decent info/labeling screen

things like this blow my mind, it's like the guys designing the UI dont play the game or just have like tunnel vision on new shiny fx and dont understand functionality =/

Even I am not colourblinded, the text can be hard to read if you happen to travel to an area that makes background bright white.  

This is the picture I posted in the main feedback thread.  The opacity of menu background needs to be less transparent and darker.

45ead3.jpg

The moving menu doesn't make me nauseous, but it's completely distracting and unnecessarily.  

It's especially true in Upgrade menu, the way it's tilting the things are getting smaller and smaller to the left and text information are harder and harder to read, and illegible text are the last thing you want when you are tinkering with Mods.  It's not just a sound UI design.

f63c35.jpg

And that's why they removed the descriptions on Mods (another thing makes the new UI less efficient).  The thing is because they KNEW those text will be hard to read with current design so they just removed them.  The problem goes deep in game engine and game assets, those are bitmap textures rather vector text.

Interestingly enough, I had to turn on the Hud movement to see the moving effects when I was on the ship, the same toggle as the one that controls the hud displayed during missions, so I have no idea why they'd remove such a thing that was seemingly there to begin with.

The reason that I'd have it turned off before U14 I had to turn it off due to performance issues, but now I can turn it back on without the game backfiring at my graphics card.

Now I do not know if the in-ship interface wasn't moving because I went into the game with that setting already on, but it'd be weird if it happens to be a one time thing because I am positive that all of the menus in the ship were stationary before I swapped back.

And neither do I know if they removed the ship hud being tied to the hud movement toggle during one of the hotfixes, but that to would be somewhat silly, unless it's a unintentional bug.

Really? That's weird. I just went back into the game and double checked both the menu and my options, my stuff is still moving even though I have HUD movement turned off. It's been off since before the update. Could you try turning your HUD movement back off and letting me know if it stopped UI movement again, for me? For the sake of consistency, I used the modding screen in the arsenal (Candengard's second screen shot) to check for movement.

Colorblind issues still appear to be strictly related to doors and lockers, since nothing on the UI has replaced 'Ok' or 'Cancel' buttons with only colors.

I'll just refer you to one of my previous posts on this matter https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/263785-new-ui-feedback-from-uiux-designer-visually-nicer-slower-to-use-more-clicks-to-do-the-same-task/page-7#entry3084281

Really? That's weird. I just went back into the game and double checked both the menu and my options, my stuff is still moving even though I have HUD movement turned off. It's been off since before the update. Could you try turning your HUD movement back off and letting me know if it stopped UI movement again, for me? For the sake of consistency, I used the modding screen in the arsenal (Candengard's second screen shot) to check for movement.

Whoa, I agree that this really is weird... When I played earlier today I checked just in case if it still was there, and it's moving now no matter what I do... why in the blazes would DE remove the HUD lock? Because I'm certain it was stationary when I first booted up the game (now 4 hotfixes ago..)

There must have been a glitch or something, somewhere. Or maybe they intended for it to work on both but a hotfix broke it or something. I never had it work for both but I also didn't really play until after the first hotfix. But at least it shows that an option stopping the menu movement is possible. Thank you for going back and checking for me.

I'm actually getting a bit nervous, there's been four hotfixes with nothing for this issue. I haven't even read an acknowledgement of the issue or a hint that it's on their to do list. I'm sure other things, like crashes, are taking priority. But that's really just another reason to start bundling these options into the initial release. Get the stuff you know you'll have to fix out of the way before the influx of massive bugs and crashes inevitable in any large update hit.

That is correct. I can and always have been able to play the game itself with absolutely zero issue, barring when HUD 2.0 first came out. I can play many other games fine, as well. It is just the new UI menu system.

Same here ive played games all my life and had little to no nausea ever. Yet i cant spend 5 mins modding my weapon before i start to feel so...

So its not just those normaly susceptible to it.