The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Must Go! My Planet Needs Me...

OuTlAwTACO229

Technically he is right its a dwarf planet, which is still a planet. 

Planet is still a separate classification. Dwarf is a minor-planet classification, which OP did not specify.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Meenmu. Thanks for the assist!

Edited by Chrysalis

No, it's a dwarf planet. 

Despite the name, dwarf planets are not just a kind of planet. They are, by definition, not planets.

Correct me if i am wrong, here's the definition of dwarf planet "a celestial body that orbits the sun and has a spherical shape but is not large enough to disturb other objects from its orbit"

And definition of planet "a large, round object in space (such as the Earth) that travels around a star (such as the sun)"

Edited by TeddyBear

Correct me if i am wrong, here's the definition of dwarf planet "a celestial body that orbits the sun and has a spherical shape but is not large enough to disturb other objects from its orbit"

And definition of planet "a large, round object in space (such as the Earth) that travels around a star (such as the sun)"

Those are the definitions. Still, the IAU sees it as a massive difference.

We don't call pluto a planet anymore because there's a greedy government mining it for the rare metals. The more they mine the smaller pluto gets, and the only thing that can stop them from destroying themselves is by declaring pluto to not be a planet.

Dwarf planets are fully capable of disturbing orbits of other objects. Pluto has 5 moons, Charon, Styx, Nix, Kerberos, and Hydra.

I'm pretty sure Pluto was discovered due to a disturbance in Neptune's orbit.

Edited by Gammaion