Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tone Down Prism A Little?

Nissun

This is a suggestion for a purely cosmetic change only, not how powerful the ability itself is.

I'm not epileptic, so this is not a clinical issue, but prism is really, really hard on the eyes.

I just don't see why the lasers have to extend literally from one corner of the level to the other. It's extremely distracting, and like I said, irritating.

Please consider making the visual effect a little less disruptive. It gets really bad when two Mirages are constantly spamming it too.

The OP's complaints are understandable.

Now personally, I don't have a problem with it, but I think I can see where he's coming from. 

So far there have been reports that a lot of Mirage's abilities are straining on another player's framerate. 

When you start introducing visual effects that strain your graphics card way more than it should, you run into a problem. I have no numbers but i'll make a wild guess and say that, majority of PC gamers can't afford high-end stuff that can take on anything... A wild assumption though, and this could result in players despising a certain frame or outright boycotting it completely, refusing to play as it or with a player who uses it, making a frame undesirable despite how good it is. 

Let's face it, in Prism's case it's just a floating ball with lines of color and some tiny lighting and particle effects, it shouldn't be as straining on a video card as it is, but for some reason it is. Possibly due to the particle effects.

Besides, it really becomes a problem where it's uncomfortable to look at making the game downright uncomfortable to play, you made a wrong turn somewhere with your artistic assets. Then again, art is incredibly subjective, some may enjoy the effects, others despise it. 

The easy fix would be to have abilities be affected by the graphical settings in the options menu, like particle effects, lighting and so on. Shouldn't be very hard to do either, as all you really need to do is to take what you've already got and strip it's effects and shove it into an option. 

No.  Because reasons.   

I see you are among the more toxic part of the community. 

The OP's complaints are understandable.

Now personally, I don't have a problem with it, but I think I can see where he's coming from. 

So far there have been reports that a lot of Mirage's abilities are straining on another player's framerate. 

When you start introducing visual effects that strain your graphics card way more than it should, you run into a problem. I have no numbers but i'll make a wild guess and say that, majority of PC gamers can't afford high-end stuff that can take on anything... A wild assumption though, and this could result in players despising a certain frame or outright boycotting it completely, refusing to play as it or with a player who uses it, making a frame undesirable despite how good it is. 

Let's face it, in Prism's case it's just a floating ball with lines of color and some tiny lighting and particle effects, it shouldn't be as straining on a video card as it is, but for some reason it is. Possibly due to the particle effects.

Besides, it really becomes a problem where it's uncomfortable to look at making the game downright uncomfortable to play, you made a wrong turn somewhere with your artistic assets. Then again, art is incredibly subjective, some may enjoy the effects, others despise it. 

The easy fix would be to have abilities be affected by the graphical settings in the options menu, like particle effects, lighting and so on. Shouldn't be very hard to do either, as all you really need to do is to take what you've already got and strip it's effects and shove it into an option. 

I see you are among the more toxic part of the community. 

Same goes for you when you think coding should be a easy fix because you typed your assumption on how to "fix" it in 2 sentences.

"Shouldn't be very hard to do either, as all you really need to do is to take what you've already got and strip it's effects and shove it into an option."

A coder would laugh in your face and slam the door on you if you came to them with this ridiculous statement. Let's not even take in account how much money you're paying them. Judging by your statement, it's probably Starbucks and M&Ms and Manga.   Never assume something is EASY to do when you haven't done it a day in your life as a profession.

Back on topic. DE has claimed to test their game on various machines. So let's just assume they know about the issue. That being said. It would be a lot better if you posted your specs, instead of carrying about it as is

Edited by Ishki88

Same goes for you when you think coding should be a easy fix because you typed your assumption on how to "fix" it in 2 sentences.

"Shouldn't be very hard to do either, as all you really need to do is to take what you've already got and strip it's effects and shove it into an option."

A coder would laugh in your face and slam the door on you if you came to them with this ridiculous statement. Let's not even take in account how much money you're paying them. Judging by your statement, it's probably Starbucks and M&Ms and Manga.   Never assume something is EASY to do when you haven't done it a day in your life as a profession.

Brushing aside the proclaimed fact that a coder would slam a door in my face... 

It's not my job to ensure that the game runs smoothly under all circumstances on average machines, it's DE's. I admit I don't know directly how they tie their effects to their options menu's, but I have seen plenty of other games do what I was proposing; it's hardly uncommon for games these days to have multiple options for ability effects, just take a look at pretty much every MMORPG on the market.

Brushing aside the proclaimed fact that a coder would slam a door in my face... 

It's not my job to ensure that the game runs smoothly under all circumstances on average machines, it's DE's. I admit I don't know directly how they tie their effects to their options menu's, but I have seen plenty of other games do what I was proposing; it's hardly uncommon for games these days to have multiple options for ability effects, just take a look at pretty much every MMORPG on the market.

I'm sure those other games have a lot more resources and employees.  If not they don't have a game of this magnitude.  You stated MMORPG so I'm going to go with they aren't at the magnitude of Warframe.   This isn't a MMO (imo.)

This is a suggestion for a purely cosmetic change only, not how powerful the ability itself is.

I'm not epileptic, so this is not a clinical issue, but prism is really, really hard on the eyes.

I just don't see why the lasers have to extend literally from one corner of the level to the other. It's extremely distracting, and like I said, irritating.

Please consider making the visual effect a little less disruptive. It gets really bad when two Mirages are constantly spamming it too.

you must be sensitive it doesn't hurt me at all