Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Two Cents On The 'kubrow' Mechanics

Swizzlestix

So there's been an influx of threads based around the complications we've all experienced in regards to the new Kubrow pets. A lot of what I say is probably going to mirror what's been said in previous threads, but I'm just rounding up my ideas publicly, in the hopes that the more feedback they receive on the issue, motivates the supposed 'fixes' they're working on.

As they are, Kubrows are very physical, melee-based companions. This opens them up to a world of hurt that, at lower levels and lesser-able mod loadouts, can prove to be quite difficult to work on them with. They will run ahead to attack, which does expose them to aggro and, more often than not, gets them annihilated before there's anything you can do about it, let alone locate where your Kubrow's getting his &#! handed to him. 

There are a number of ideas I've had that can reduce the amount of danger your Kubrow puts himself in, some of which are as follows;

- A leash/tether system; Links a player to his Kubrow by a thin line on the UI, giving the player some awareness of where his Kubrow is currently. It also allows the player to set limits on the max distance his Kubrow can travel to attack. This stops your Kubrow charging into what could only be considered an ambush, and getting his &#! handed to you while you're trying desperately to save it.

- A Kubrow revival system; to expect players to just accept the fact that you're going to lose loyalty as soon as your pet runs off and health starts melting off him like an ice-cube in a microwave, is at best foolish. With no repercussions for losing a Sentinel in a mission at the moment, even going so far as to revive them when the Warframe itself has to spend a revive, to have to babysit your Kubrow every time it attacks something, else your companion suffers damage and health output (with little-to-no way to repair that damage at current) is unwarranted at best. I believe, as has already been suggested in a number of threads at current, that the ability to revive your Kubrow from a downed state, much like Warframes in multiplayer missions, presents a much more in-character approach to the pet that supposedly boasts character as one of its very few upsides to using over Sentinels at the moment. This would also open up opportunities for mods, such as giving your Kubrow the ability to revive you itself (Imagine revivals in solo missions! The possibilities!!!). 

- A Kubrow retreat system; Something that tells the Kubrow to return to your side when certain conditions are met, such as its shields depleting; the player's Warframe's shields depleting; The player's Warframe makes a call/whistle; so on and so forth. This allows the player more flexibility to be the space-ninja he is, without worrying about his less agile canine friend falling behind and getting blown to bits.

- A Kubrow command system; Maybe a little ambitious considering players might not want to have to issue commands to their Kubrows if they're already encumbered by its inability to hold up in a fight, but I feel some would merit from the ability to set your Kubrow to attack a specific mob, sit out a fight if it seems too dangerous, or stealth around some mobs and aggro one at the back while you take care of everything it sneaked past. I can see multiple opportunities that can come from such a system, but to expect DE to implement something like this so soon after this update is unrealistic. Perhaps a future update; Kubrows 2.0?

A Kubrow Mod Bundle in the Market; I for one know how difficult it is to find mods for my Kubrow at the moment. The only place you can get Mods for them right now are from other feral Kubrows on Earth, and that planet's enemy level range is just far too low to really guarantee any mod return for time spent grinding their dens. This is obviously not the state either DE nor its playerbase wants the Kubrow mod source to persist as, but DE certainly aren't going to make gathering mods easy so long as there's a market for them; that's why I was surprised to find there was not a 'Kubrow Mod Bundle' for sale in the marketplace. I would happily put down a few plat if it meant I could beef up my furry friend from the incapable fuzzy ball of personally-aimed-hatred it currently is, to something a little more battle-friendly. What even is the point in leveling the thing up if you've got no mods to spend those mod points on? (And before anyone says it; I have absolutely no intention on spending 250 platinum (roughly $15) on a 'bite' mod, you greedy fucks.)

Overall, there's a loooooooooooot of things that could be done to fix up the Kubrow system a little. There are a loooot of things that need done first. The state that things are at currently, is just not how the game should operate. It adds a level of stress to the game that does not motivate people to use these shiny new pets they've been given, for fear of it 'snapping and growling' at you for the rest of its miserable life. 

The game is currently in beta, sure, that's what it says in the description for Warframe. For myself, however, betas are supposed to feel like incomplete games. What Warframe is right now, is not an incomplete game; With an incomplete game, the developers might work in such areas as to make it a complete game. What I see right now, is that the developers are continually adding new stuff to the game, featured content and new missions that would have no context without some understanding of the story previously. There have even been events and missions that will not be making a reappearance, I suspect even when the game finally 'releases'. Because of the above reasons, I have lost all desire to call this game a 'beta' anymore. I agree that some of the changes are for the better, and will make for a pristine release, but there's far too much stuff the game could have been released without. As such, I will not treat the game as a 'beta' and refuse to accept it as an excuse, so if you've paid this post any attention at all, you certainly won't use that excuse anywhere in the responses without expecting me to 100% ignore the S#&$ out of it.

Hope the above suggestions at least help some insight from an player eager to see this Kubrow situation resolved!

I like the ideas for the kubrow. A leash would be nice or maybe a command you can tell it to stop whatever it's doing. Honestly, this new pet has been the hardiest to maintain then anything else in this game. Hopefully, it will be changed. Also screw the Scrambler.. That needs to be changed.

- A leash/tether system; Links a player to his Kubrow by a thin line on the UI, giving the player some awareness of where his Kubrow is currently. It also allows the player to set limits on the max distance his Kubrow can travel to attack. This stops your Kubrow charging into what could only be considered an ambush, and getting his @$$ handed to you while you're trying desperately to save it.

- A Kubrow revival system; to expect players to just accept the fact that you're going to lose loyalty as soon as your pet runs off and health starts melting off him like an ice-cube in a microwave, is at best foolish. With no repercussions for losing a Sentinel in a mission at the moment, even going so far as to revive them when the Warframe itself has to spend a revive, to have to babysit your Kubrow every time it attacks something, else your companion suffers damage and health output (with little-to-no way to repair that damage at current) is unwarranted at best. I believe, as has already been suggested in a number of threads at current, that the ability to revive your Kubrow from a downed state, much like Warframes in multiplayer missions, presents a much more in-character approach to the pet that supposedly boasts character as one of its very few upsides to using over Sentinels at the moment. This would also open up opportunities for mods, such as giving your Kubrow the ability to revive you itself (Imagine revivals in solo missions! The possibilities!!!). 

- A Kubrow command system; Maybe a little ambitious considering players might not want to have to issue commands to their Kubrows if they're already encumbered by its inability to hold up in a fight, but I feel some would merit from the ability to set your Kubrow to attack a specific mob, sit out a fight if it seems too dangerous, or stealth around some mobs and aggro one at the back while you take care of everything it sneaked past. I can see multiple opportunities that can come from such a system, but to expect DE to implement something like this so soon after this update is unrealistic. Perhaps a future update; Kubrows 2.0?

I like most of these and especially the command thing since i was just thinking about something like it.

My idea was basically having each breed its own command mod which could be activated by using a waypoint.

Huras: stealth attacks target that is marked

Raksa: Guards a 15m area around that waypoint

Sahasa: digs rapidly around waypoint for ammo, health, and energy or makes a trap at that waypoint.

Sunika: Attacks and/or mark any heavy units like a heavy gunner that passes though a 15m area around the waypoint.

This will make them a little different from sentinels and will give players some more options in battle.

It would be awesome if there were some control for your kubrow. Being able to call it back, or change its "stance" (Attack, defense, etc). OR even being able to make it use abilities on command (Having your Raksa howl or guiding your Sahasa to a locker you want opening).

Edited by Snougar