Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kubrow Breeding Improvements

Turnoverman

Currently, the Tenno keep full-grown dogs in an incubator. That's all well and good, but it does stop them from incubating new eggs while having a dog. That makes no sense.

The current breeding system just can't be used as a breeding system. You can't purposely breed towards certain characteristics while ignoring others, which is the concept of animal breeding. You get one kubrow randomly at an extremely high startup cost (four days and about 250k credits of blueprints/building). That makes sense. It should be hard to get your metaphorical foot in the door. The only problem is that you keep having to do that to get the other breeds or different colors, all the while not being able to use the first one. I wanted to keep breeding kubrows until I got all four breeds and, even then, I wanted one with a particular color pattern, then I found out I'd have to give up the one I'd been interacting with for about two weeks straight, even if I got perfectly lucky and managed to get all three in three eggs.

What I'm suggesting: Let us carry more than one egg. Let us incubate however many eggs we can incubate. Let us keep our kubrow out while we're at it. Show the active kubrow in the incubator. Let the eggs happen in the same hammerspace that the foundary builds the things it doesn't show. When they hatch, put them directly in statis, make us take them out for the final growing part.

What I'm hoping for but will never get: Once a player gets a male and a female kubrow and are allowed in a special area, they sometimes produce eggs that have the characteristics that would come from using both of their imprints built in. These eggs would require a much cheaper power core to incubate, and it would take less time. If the player has enough stasis slots, it could be used to actually selectively breed, and that's where the platinum investment comes in. Stasis slots for kubrows that will only be used for breeding.

Yes, it would reward inbreeding. Real dog breeders do that. My dog's grandad is also her great grandad. (I didn't breed her, and I didn't look through her papers until I'd had her for a year and loved her aleady, and I still love her. Just sayin' that it's a thing that people do.)

It would also reward putting new genes into the pool by way of adding in randomized kubrows from the wild, and it would reward that significantly more, which it should because the cost is so high.

I can respect making it effectively impossible to customize kubrows once they're born (I say effectively because scramblers do exist, even if they never give any good results), but I can't respect making it impossible to breed kubrows without being able to use your existing kubrows as input reliably. Even if a dog only has two litters, that's way more than two dogs, so limiting kubrows to two scans is unreasonable. I also can't respect having the incubator stop existing kubrows from behaving as kubrows. The cost of making a kubrow is too high to lose it completely whenever trying to breed.

EDIT: Yay! Scramblers are gone!

Edited by Turnoverman

sounds good to me, but for the interim, what i plan on doing is putting my active kubrow in stasis while i am not playing to have an egg or puppy maturing, then pull out my kubrow as the active while i do play

sounds good to me, but for the interim, what i plan on doing is putting my active kubrow in stasis while i am not playing to have an egg or puppy maturing, then pull out my kubrow as the active while i do play

The thing is, you'll have to wait for 3h to wake a Kubrow from stasis.

I see ppl are asking for little.

The current kubrow system is too much exaggerated, compared to how easy is to get, make, use a specter and sentinels.

This kubrow feature is so far away from warframe concept as scanning earth plants was, too much nonsense and stages and steps all for a thing that should be simple as an weapon or a sentinel. I kinda predict that in a few months kubrows may end up as being yet another useless feature, put aside and ignored by the players just as specters have become.

They should get a separate area in the ship for the kubrows that have grown up, that way we could have a breeding area and a living area so to speak.

i have said this before in other posts - update 14 was rushed to the point of unfinished content being passed of as done with paywalls.

There is a lot of ways we could have gotten a better system overall for kubrows, if this update wasn't rushed for example maybe the systems that were introduced in update 14 would be better implemented.

I started playing in update 7, this was the first update that i felt was not complete by any means.

+1

It's ridiculous that we cannot incubate a kubrow while using another if we've already put in the time and effort to incubate our first one. Also the time to take them out of stasis is far too long, but I can live with that.

• 1 month later...

While I don't think we need to resort to actual breeding in Warframe, I feel allowing us to incubate a new egg while being able to use the current Kubrow would make breeding less punishing.

Once it's ready to hatch it should await collection - just like the foundry items.

From there you could put your active Kubrow in stasis to allow the new one to mature.

If DE wants to keep the Pay-wall active, only allow one incubation at a time.

All this does is allow you to keep using a Kubrow while half completing another, so I don't feel it would be game breaking.