The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Happened To The Difficulty Progression?

OnyxAlchemyst

I seem to recall some time ago that Rebecca, or another of the DE staff, said that not only was the progression in difficulty tied to the direct enemy levels on a node or planet, butt the kinds of enemies found, and the hazards you encounter. This idea was clearly implemented pre-update 14, because on early levels of the game, many tough enemy types were not present (unless you went far enough in endless mission types), and traps, environmental hazards, and other "wrinkles" were very rare.

However, since update 14 came around, this idea seems to have gone straight out of the window, and the missions that used to be more simple and straightforward have become significantly more hostile and difficult. I brought fresh equipment to the low level capture mission on mercury, like I usually do, and I was beset upon by scorpions, scorches, shield lancers, and arc traps, ON TOP OF having an ice hazard to halve my shields. Despite being an experienced player at mastery rank 15, I died and lost several revives on that mission, one of which was due to being hit with a slash proc that bled me out for at least 250 health.

DE, is this the "improved new game environment" that you were trying to create? Your new quests do seem to be more helpful, but even with those damaged mods you're handing out, it still seems to me that new players will be hitting a wall when it comes to the early game difficulty, and it's precisely because of the more hostile starting planets. It feels like you've taken a step forward, and a step back at the same time, and leaving Warframe as a game that fresh players will still have trouble getting in to.

I sincerely hope that DE heeds all of the feedback everyone is sending in regarding this. I think the proper course of action is to go back to the pre-update environment of mercury having limited enemy types, and zero traps, so that it returns to the proper world for getting new players and new equipment started.

Edited by OnyxAlchemyst

Just so you know, I'm pretty sure that earth is the new mercury, and mercury is inline with venus/old earth.

I'm not so certain. Although the first missions DO take place on earth, returning to it shows that the enemy levels are still higher than on mercury. Not to mention encountering kubrow dens has been rather dangerous for me, because they seem to have a habit of being able to deal damage in the hundreds to in a single strike, and instantly nuking my frame, my sentinel (impressed at how they can hit that thing when it's flying), or both.

Hellions can also deal significant amounts of damage in a short time with their rockets.

I suppose I still need to play some more to compare the two, but I still think mercury is much too hostile than its shown level implies.

Just so you know, I'm pretty sure that earth is the new mercury, and mercury is inline with venus/old earth.

Nope, other than prologue missions, Earth is Earth. Mercury has now been buffed to about the same difficulty as Earth though, thanks to all the high level enemy types + arc traps.

Its called difficulty scaling, and I for one love it! I love to be challenged. I am happy the scaling system was added. Now, I don't know how the scaling works. I think it works based on your conclave, your party total conclave, or rank. But what I do know is it scales in difficulty.

Edited by OrphanMaker

That does not make sense. Either you fight lvl 10 mob or not. A variable lvl 10 mob / scaled to your conc rating or whatever makes the levels obsolete. If you like challenge fight mobs with higher lvls or strip down your weapons.

That does not make sense. Either you fight lvl 10 mob or not. A variable lvl 10 mob / scaled to your conc rating or whatever makes the levels obsolete. If you like challenge fight mobs with higher lvls or strip down your weapons.

I don't think it really scale, in the way discuss above, in survival missions. I think this scaling is only for unlimited mission types.

I seem to recall some time ago that Rebecca, or another of the DE staff, said that not only was the progression in difficulty tied to the direct enemy levels on a node or planet, butt the kinds of enemies found, and the hazards you encounter. This idea was clearly implemented pre-update 14, because on early levels of the game, many tough enemy types were not present (unless you went far enough in endless mission types), and traps, environmental hazards, and other "wrinkles" were very rare.

However, since update 14 came around, this idea seems to have gone straight out of the window, and the missions that used to be more simple and straightforward have become significantly more hostile and difficult. I brought fresh equipment to the low level capture mission on mercury, like I usually do, and I was beset upon by scorpions, scorches, shield lancers, and arc traps, ON TOP OF having an ice hazard to halve my shields. Despite being an experienced player at mastery rank 15, I died and lost several revives on that mission, one of which was due to being hit with a slash proc that bled me out for at least 250 health.

DE, is this the "improved new game environment" that you were trying to create? Your new quests do seem to be more helpful, but even with those damaged mods you're handing out, it still seems to me that new players will be hitting a wall when it comes to the early game difficulty, and it's precisely because of the more hostile starting planets. It feels like you've taken a step forward, and a step back at the same time, and leaving Warframe as a game that fresh players will still have trouble getting in to.

I sincerely hope that DE heeds all of the feedback everyone is sending in regarding this. I think the proper course of action is to go back to the pre-update environment of mercury having limited enemy types, and zero traps, so that it returns to the proper world for getting new players and new equipment started.

First off, your language. I mean, those are "fighting words" right there.

Second, I love the extra difficulty. I have a secondary "noob" account to test the game again, as I have basically everything unlocked on my main, and it's very fun so far. It's hectic, chaotic, and I have to run around like a madman just to regen shields.

I do agree on one thing and one thing regarding difficulty. Grouping up is a *@##$, and because there is no one around to team up on the starter planets, THAT is the main reason as why they are hard, I mean, I don't have the creds or resources yet to even assemble a Catalyst or Reactor - for which I have been lucky to get low level alert missions I could run - so I have low(er) mod capabilities then what I would like.

Levels are fine. In my opinion we simply lack better grouping tools other then shouting "HELP ME" in chat and having bored vets come to our aid. I mean, It's good, but it does effect what we refer to as "immersion". There is no feedback as to what people are queuing up for, so people don't want to tempt fate and waste 30 minutes in a queue when they really just want to play something.

I don't know an answer, but some way to post "I'm running this mission" like an alert would come up, would in my opinion fix such problems. Yes, I know, "get mates", been there, done that, got everything. Would still be nice to have some more "casual" options.

First off, your language. I mean, those are "fighting words" right there.

Second, I love the extra difficulty. I have a secondary "noob" account to test the game again, as I have basically everything unlocked on my main, and it's very fun so far. It's hectic, chaotic, and I have to run around like a madman just to regen shields.

I do agree on one thing and one thing regarding difficulty. Grouping up is a $#*(@, and because there is no one around to team up on the starter planets, THAT is the main reason as why they are hard, I mean, I don't have the creds or resources yet to even assemble a Catalyst or Reactor - for which I have been lucky to get low level alert missions I could run - so I have low(er) mod capabilities then what I would like.

Levels are fine. In my opinion we simply lack better grouping tools other then shouting "HELP ME" in chat and having bored vets come to our aid. I mean, It's good, but it does effect what we refer to as "immersion". There is no feedback as to what people are queuing up for, so people don't want to tempt fate and waste 30 minutes in a queue when they really just want to play something.

I don't know an answer, but some way to post "I'm running this mission" like an alert would come up, would in my opinion fix such problems. Yes, I know, "get mates", been there, done that, got everything. Would still be nice to have some more "casual" options.

"First off, your language. I mean, those are "fighting words" right there. and etc"

Why you so aggressive?

Rookies do as well I think, due to the fact that they get a bunch of tutorial missions to level up their weapons and frame + give them free mods. So I guess DE decided it would be fair enough to raise levels slightly.

Except levels 3-4 instead of 1-1 would mean something more to rookies, who in addition to high level gear are lacking game experience as well.

I'll have to guess the bright side of this new level range is that those who manage to cope with it will adapt much faster, but I doubt it will work just like that.

I don't think it really scale, in the way discuss above, in survival missions. I think this scaling is only for unlimited mission types.

That makes sense.

You can barely compare the skill of someone who leveled up everything with somebody who played 20min. The fact that it feels right and challenging for you is actually alarming.

Except levels 3-4 instead of 1-1 would mean something more to rookies, who in addition to high level gear are lacking game experience as well.

I'll have to guess the bright side of this new level range is that those who manage to cope with it will adapt much faster, but I doubt it will work just like that.

I remember, when I started playing the levels of the mobs went up to 100 and you would start with mobs lvl 1. I was much stronger then them, but even so they did give me hard time. I think there should be some levels where new players / warframes would overpower the mobs and maybe start to take on challenges later, when they are familiar with the game's mechanics.