Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Parkour

Thalahssalyst

First, your text is very hard to read. Black text on a dark gray background is a very hard color combo to read. You likely copied the text from a translator (if not, I apologize for thinking so), and I know the forum treats copied text oddly. Something with HTML and the forum's formatting system if I remember correct.

For anyone who has difficulty reading his text:

before the update we have high impulse in the wall jump, but now we cant jump to long like before the u14...

Have u see it?

Second, they specifically toned down a lot of the free-running mechanics such as this and the ability to infinitely climb walls by crouching during a wall-run to reset the climb height in an effort to help fix exploits in the system. These were bugs that players were exploiting to bypass obstacles in ways the devs did not intend.

I know I'm guilty of using those tricks, and while I enjoyed them, I realize part of continued development hinges on fixing ALL bugs that might affect newer content. Imagine how your kubrow might react to you scaling a 50 ft wall without him.

Second, they specifically toned down a lot of the free-running mechanics such as this and the ability to infinitely climb walls by crouching during a wall-run to reset the climb height in an effort to help fix exploits in the system. These were bugs that players were exploiting to bypass obstacles in ways the devs did not intend.

I know I'm guilty of using those tricks, and while I enjoyed them, I realize part of continued development hinges on fixing ALL bugs that might affect newer content. Imagine how your kubrow might react to you scaling a 50 ft wall without him.

which is funny, as walljumping into the next wall at high velocities seemed to be the only way to reliably chain wallruns / jumps, otherwise your character would just hit the wall and fall down like an idiot.

yay.... contextual movement...

which is funny, as walljumping into the next wall at high velocities seemed to be the only way to reliably chain wallruns / jumps, otherwise your character would just hit the wall and fall down like an idiot.

yay.... contextual movement...

Yea, well sometimes things don't work according to plan... I say give it time, U14 is a massive update so there naturally were going to be tons of bugs. DE has been doing a great job so far of fixing things as quickly as they can, and I'm sure this will probably receive a second pass. After all, they did adjust the curvature of walls in the Void to be more wall-run-friendly, so they clearly are trying to clean up the system and make it more reliable.

Yea, well sometimes things don't work according to plan... I say give it time

we have been 'giving it time', these issues have existed with Parkour since day 1 of it's introduction.

contextual movement will never be fluid anyways. it will always feel stuttery and canned. because you have dozens and dozens of actions all tied to one button.

the amount of polish each tile needs to receive for it to feel fluid, seems like a lot more work than a parkour system that feels more organic.

key example - Assassin's Creed. god, the parkour in that game is godawful. does what you wanted your character to do ~40% of the time. because there's like 50 different actions on one button.

so yay, contextual movement...

we have been 'giving it time', these issues have existed with Parkour since day 1 of it's introduction.

contextual movement will never be fluid anyways. it will always feel stuttery and canned. because you have dozens and dozens of actions all tied to one button.

the amount of polish each tile needs to receive for it to feel fluid, seems like a lot more work than a parkour system that feels more organic.

key example - Assassin's Creed. god, the parkour in that game is godawful. does what you wanted your character to do ~40% of the time. because there's like 50 different actions on one button.

so yay, contextual movement...

I am not sure if you and I play the same Assassin's Creed...

I am not sure if you and I play the same Assassin's Creed...

if you aren't facing the perfect angle or moving at the perfect speed or one of the many other factors that is likely to be not always perfect when in a rush situation, it's not unlikely to either just bounce off a wall or to climb some obstacle when you wanted to run by it, or climb something instead of interacting with an object, etc.

it's so bad that i just avoid it at all costs. i dread every mission that involves 'parkour' because Assassin's Creed has none of that. i also dread anything that involves Melee Combat, because of the horrendous Camera that flails around showing me useless angles instead of staying where it belongs.

some other titles, such as Mass Effect, unfortunately suffer similar issues, because there's ~35 actions tied to one button. however, it doesn't usually trip up as much because of how limited the movement is, therefore it's less common for the game to do something that ruins what you actually intended to do.

-snip-

See, that doesn't make much sense to me. I've always been able to run around like a sneaky little ninja pretty easily with a limited amount of times I mess up and I mostly blame it on myself for not taking the other path, angle or button press. Games, with the exception of bugs, are flawless in a badly used word. They require skill and timing. No better example then practically most games back during the first generations and to an extent Dark Soul. Punishing failure but rewarding skill. 

Even though arguably in games like Warframe skill takes a backseat a lot of times. This does not always have to be the case however.

As for the combat of Assassin's Creed. With the exception of elite enemies, which require too much of even my timing and skill, all enemies are ridiculously easy to defeat. The Assassins are stocked up on conventional and experimental weaponry that change the game that much. Unless you are simply button mashing and attacking head on then I could understand why you are struggling. But by just countering you remove nearly all difficulty.

The only truly difficult aspect for me is the ship-to-ship combat sections which I try to avoid.

Granted I have had my frustrations with the games but I still love them very much despite what I could perceive as a serious and glaring flaw in the heat of the moment.

EDIT:

More seriously and back to Warframe. Yes I agree that they have removed a lot of manoeuvrability with their change. I used parkour as a crutch for slow and fast Warframes alike so I would not have to resort to the slide or Zorencopter and instead rely on the environment and my own skill. 

That is not to say it is completely removed. I spent a recent session where I felt as though my every move was in synch with every player, every enemy and every bit of terrain. The session ended with me claiming the most kills and least deaths despite using what many could consider an inferior Warframe, in comparison to the top tier Warframes at least. 

However the parkour in Warframe is not fluid whatsoever. It is clunky and gimmicky at best. Whilst I enjoy trying to master it there is not much reward gained. One glaring fault I find is the lack of the ability to turn on a dime in the midst of your move. For example imagine you are running straight up a wall but there is no level for you to land on behind you, as you normally would try to land on. Instead you would want to land to the clearing on the side except you are unable to do so.

I hope that makes sense. I could try and make a video to demonstrate what I mean but the point is the parkour is not fluid, does not befit the ninja theme at all and takes very little skill. Despite this it remains one of my favorite aspects of the game and I absolutely love it whenever I just manage to reach that treasure room.

Edited by OriVerda

As for the combat of Assassin's Creed. With the exception of elite enemies, which require too much of even my timing and skill, all enemies are ridiculously easy to defeat. The Assassins are stocked up on conventional and experimental weaponry that change the game that much. Unless you are simply button mashing and attacking head on then I could understand why you are struggling. But by just countering you remove nearly all difficulty.

I hope that makes sense. I could try and make a video to demonstrate what I mean but the point is the parkour is not fluid, does not befit the ninja theme at all and takes very little skill. Despite this it remains one of my favorite aspects of the game and I absolutely love it whenever I just manage to reach that treasure room.

- i said the camera in combat is disgusting, the Combat itself is yes, very sterile and automatic. contextual combat, press this button and automatically dead.

- i certainly enjoy the Parkour, despite it's severe limitations and leaving so much to be desired. doesn't mean it doesn't often feel any less fluid though, which definitely detracts from the 'cool' factor.

- i said the camera in combat is disgusting, the Combat itself is yes, very sterile and automatic. contextual combat, press this button and automatically dead.

- i certainly enjoy the Parkour, despite it's severe limitations and leaving so much to be desired. doesn't mean it doesn't often feel any less fluid though, which definitely detracts from the 'cool' factor.

Pardon my misreading. The camera is decent but does get stuck behind trees or blocked by buildings reducing vision greatly. Point agreed upon but it is nothing we cannot compensate for.

The parkour in Unity seems to have improved upon the cool factor at the cost of logic in my opinion but it remains to be seen how much so. There are times I feel as though the parkour is fluid but at other moments I can clearly feel and recognize where and how it works. In my opinion it is rather "blocky" just as in Warframe. By that I mean it is always a set movement which is highly predictable but I do not really mind that so much when a sequence is executed flawlessly whilst facing a timer.

The parkour in Unity seems to have improved upon the cool factor at the cost of logic in my opinion but it remains to be seen how much so. There are times I feel as though the parkour is fluid but at other moments I can clearly feel and recognize where and how it works. In my opinion it is rather "blocky" just as in Warframe. By that I mean it is always a set movement which is highly predictable but I do not really mind that so much when a sequence is executed flawlessly whilst facing a timer.

mm. from time to time, you get the Parkour just perfect in Warframe, and the animations actually look kind've correct, blending together well. and that is a very nice feeling. unfortunately that's not what usually happens.

and assuming you're talking about Overgrowth (as Unity is just a visual Engine), ultimately like any game, yeah, it's all prebaked and there's only so much you can do. but if there's enough possibilites to cover as many bases as possible, like Overgrowth has found out, despite being canned, it can still feel fluid and intuitive. and that is infact good enough, since animating on the fly based on movement has a much higher chance of the animations looking wrong.