Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Opinions On Update 14 (Mainly Kubrows)

Bleepsy

So overall I love this Update. It adds some great features however it also has some big problems (not just in terms of bugs, though I will be bringing those up too) and I'm going to try and go over my opinion. I dont usually criticise much in Warframe but some things are just not up to the standard I've come to expect from DE.

Positive

- Mirage is great in my opinion. She has a great aesthetic, is fun to play and has a lot of good uses. She is honestly one of my favourite parts of the update and she is already one of my favourite frames.

- Kubrows are really cool. They look great, they're fun to own and use and I think they are great additions to the game.

Negative

- Kubrows, again. I said they're great additions to the game and they are. Or rather they could be.

The first thing is time. I was ok with waiting for the incubation, I was ok with waiting for the maturing. I was ok with all that. But 3 hours to take a kubrow out of stasis is just idiotic. Essentially it means I cant use them for 3 hours unless I only ever use a single kubrow. If I want to do a mission with stealth I either have to wait 3 hours to get my Huras out of stasis, happen to have her out already or I just need to go on without any kubrow. There is also the problem that there is no in-game indication of how long anything takes. It also irks me that there are no such restrictions on sentinels, which seems to be encouraging people to use the sentinels more which does seem a good idea in some ways, if the sentinels do not have any advantage over kubrows I can't see anyone ever using them. But creating some frustrating, pointless mechanic to force their usage over that of the kubrows from choice to necessity seems nothing more than something built to aggravate.

The second thing is appearance. My Huras finally matured today however the problem with her is that she has the body of a raksa. So I've got this enormous monstrosity sneaking around on its stomach. I have no problem with the large kubrows, in fact I love them, but when I saw the Huras as the small animal it showed me I really loved it and now I don't like it at all. It looks like a bad joke and about as far from what I wanted in a stealth pet as possible and there is no way to change it except farm for a few hours to find another egg and incubate it, hoping its a Huras and also hoping it is small.

Scrambling was dumb. It was an annoying gamble on plat. However, having no option to change it is even worse. My Sunika had a horrible appearance at first with awful colouring and patterns. After one scramble it changed to something I honestly really liked. I'm a player who was first brought into the game because of a love for its aesthetic and design and not being able to change my kubrows means I could just hate to look at them and will therefore be less likely to use them. We need some way to customise the kubrows to our own tastes if it is to be a successful addition.

The kubrow AI also needs revision. They seem to have no common sense and apparently no sense of self-preservation either. They dive headlong into a group of enemies and keep fighting until they inevitably drop. Since I like my kubrow I end up spending a lot of effort trying to keep it alive which is actually very difficult. It also annoys me that there is no way of tracking them on the minimap. Most allied units get blue dots to show their position but the kubrow gets nothing.

I know the 'Negative' section seems bigger but really it is because I can more easily explain my complaints more than I can explain the things I like. Overall I like the update but the kubrows need some real work.

Edited by Bleepsy

So overall I love this Update. It adds some great features however it also has some big problems (not just in terms of bugs, though I will be bringing those up too) and I'm going to try and go over my opinion. I dont usually criticise much in Warframe but some things are just not up to the standard I've come to expect from DE.

Positive

- Mirage is great in my opinion. She has a great aesthetic, is fun to play and has a lot of good uses. She is honestly one of my favourite parts of the update and she is already one of my favourite frames.

- Kubrows are really cool. They look great, they're fun to own and use and I think they are great additions to the game.

Negative

- Kubrows, again. I said they're great additions to the game and they are. Or rather they could be.

The first thing is time. I was ok with waiting for the incubation, I was ok with waiting for the maturing. I was ok with all that. But 3 hours to take a kubrow out of stasis is just idiotic. Essentially it means I cant use them for 3 hours unless I only ever use a single kubrow. If I want to do a mission with stealth I either have to wait 3 hours to get my Huras out of stasis, happen to have her out already or I just need to go on without any kubrow. There is also the problem that there is no in-game indication of how long anything takes. It also irks me that there are no such restrictions on sentinels, which seems to be encouraging people to use the sentinels more which does seem a good idea in some ways, if the sentinels do not have any advantage over kubrows I can't see anyone ever using them. But creating some frustrating, pointless mechanic to force their usage over that of the kubrows from choice to necessity seems nothing more than something built to aggravate.

The second thing is appearance. My Huras finally matured today however the problem with her is that she has the body of a raksa. So I've got this enormous monstrosity sneaking around on its stomach. I have no problem with the large kubrows, in fact I love them, but when I saw the Huras as the small animal it showed me I really loved it and now I don't like it at all. It looks like a bad joke and about as far from what I wanted in a stealth pet as possible and there is no way to change it except farm for a few hours to find another egg and incubate it, hoping its a Huras and also hoping it is small.

Scrambling was dumb. It was an annoying gamble on plat. However, having no option to change it is even worse. My Sunika had a horrible appearance at first with awful colouring and patterns. After one scramble it changed to something I honestly really liked. I'm a player who was first brought into the game because of a love for its aesthetic and design and not being able to change my kubrows means I could just hate to look at them and will therefore be less likely to use them. We need some way to customise the kubrows to our own tastes if it is to be a successful addition.

The kubrow AI also needs revision. They seem to have no common sense and apparently no sense of self-preservation either. They dive headlong into a group of enemies and keep fighting until they inevitably drop. Since I like my kubrow I end up spending a lot of effort trying to keep it alive which is actually very difficult. It also annoys me that there is no way of tracking them on the minimap. Most allied units get blue dots to show their position but the kubrow gets nothing.

I know the 'Negative' section seems bigger but really it is because I can more easily explain my complaints more than I can explain the things I like. Overall I like the update but the kubrows need some real work.

They feel like clunky specters in all honesty, im also surprised at the amount of maturity in this post btw, not alot of people take this time and effort to voice their concerns. Anywho, i have no general complaints with the new u14 i do believe more work is required onto the kubrows without a doubt. As far as statsis is concerned im indifferent since i only use one lil girl. The Ai does need some revision though. After the hotfix last night it does feel that they did improve thier AI minorly but thats just me. either way i see no real negatives. Personal opinion obviously

Positive

Negative

I can't speak on Mirage, I haven't used her. But from what powers I've seen her wield she seems like a lot of fun.

About the Kubrows stasis recovery time I think you are absolutely right. I'd understand a wait time of at most an hour, but 3 hours is far too much. It makes it virtually impossible to fix your Kubrows loadouts at any reasonable pace, or even use them for different scenarios. It is a deturrent to an otherwise good system.

To the Kubrow appearance Scrambling I agree again. I have a Sahasa, spent 10 plat because she was snow white, and I got a snow white Sahasa in return. Nonsense really. Along with the whole motif of visuals, I dislike the fact we don't even have the slightest variety in what the Kubrow wears. They are war animals with one a single piece of armor (their collar), and even their collar is without choice. And when things are so poorly explained in this update it does not help offering us genetic templates. I've heard people complaining that they put 2 kubrow templates of the same breed and got a baby of a different one, so who knows how it really works.

About the Kubrow AI, I agree again. Without a Kubrow bleedout where I can pick up my Kubrow after she falls in combat and with a very limited ability to restore loyalty the first few days trying to level her till she could take a beating (now at level 17 she has over 1K health and 1K shield) extremely annoying. I found out that Mercury is a no-go for a young Kubrow because Arc traps wiping them out, along with earth because the wild Kubrows are so devastating now (My sentinels are being one shot by those little buggers). Along with that my Kubrow seems to need a couple seconds to realize that she is in combat before running forward to attack something, rather enjoying to stand by me while taking unnecessary bullets. Just standing out in the open and taking potshots from enemies as I fire on them. I know she's only a Sahasa, but come on. And I agree, since Kubrow can be so far away from their Tenno they should have an indicator on the minimap.