Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

In Depth Report About Controller Support Post U14 On Pc

Ridgebacks

First of all, I can see that they try to unify the PC and console experience with the new "immersion" player UI. Also, I prefer to play Warframe with a controller (Xbox360 wireless) because my wrist hurts with prolong using of mouse. Before U14, I always hope one day DE can add total controller support on PC, from star chart navigation to every menu. However, there's just tons of bugs with the controller support currently on PC post U14. I documented most of my finds and hope DE can read this and get those fixed before they do the console update. This document not only points out what works and what doesn't on every menu that's currently in game, I will also point out what button shortcut can be used on each menu.

*this document is written with xbox 360 gamepad button layout/names in mind, default button layout.

I will start from the pause menu, and go down each section in order.

Pause Menu:

Can use D-pad or left stick to go up or down, can select your current profile but no interaction. Selection can't go left or right when trying to select squadmate's profile. No button to select or change the matchmaking dropdown menu.

Navigation(star chart):

No problem using either D-pad or left stick to select, on planet's menu, push R3 to deploy/collect extractors. Using X to fight for the left side faction and Y for right side faction during conflict. No buttons to support current faction if the conflict is with the Infected. No button to "Launch mission" when playing the Dark Sector.

Squad menu:

Using X to accept/vote/start timer, Y to cancel vote. No button or way to choose "Leave squad" with controller.

Equipment:

-arsenal: Using X to go into appearance menu, Y goes into equipment mod upgrade menu. Hitting A doesn't bring up the equip menu 80% of the time. No buttons to bring up the new "loadout option" where you can save preset loadout. When changing equipments (no matter it's warframe, weapons, or sentinel),  the game auto-confirm when you use either d-pad or left stick to change current selection, making pick weapons/frame/sentinel really hard. In the consumable menu, no button inputs accepts, only can use B to back out.

-foundry: Using LB/RB can change different tabs, using Y can change the "sort by" list. No direction input is accepted so player can't select anything to build or claim. No button to open up the "Components" or "Tutorial".

-incubator: Only can use B to back out. No other button/stick/d-pad input is accepted

-inventory: Can using LB/RB to change tabs, B to back out, directional input to change selection. No button for confirm selection to sell. No button for "buy more slot".

-Mods staton: Can use LB/RB to change tab, B to back out. No directional input is accepted when selecting mods, no button to confirm current selection.

Market: Can only use B to back out. No other inputs is accepted.

Communication:

-friend: Can only use B to back up, no other input is accepted

-clan: same as friend, can only use B to backup, no other input is accepted

-inbox: LB/RB to switch different item in a mail. No button for deleting current mail.

-codex: In Art Gallery, no buttons for control the auto player's pause/resume, next/previous. Everything else works fine.

-stat: directional input can only select the left side menu(leaderboard, clan, etc.), no button or input can scroll the actual stat menu on the right.

-challenge: Everything works

-profile/icon: Everything works

Another thing, from time to time (seems random), A button(confirmation) stops working when browsing any menu. Need to change to another different menu in order for A button to work.

Edited by fortunepaw

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the detailed post FortunePaw. Great feedback! Discovered your post whilst trying to find insight into the same problems with the xbox controller setup. Keyboard/mouse isn't an option for me either.

Hopefully this will be addressed soon as this is really a great game from what I've experienced so far.

I can't imagine WarFrame on controller.

I used to think Devil May Cry was best on a controller, til out of being bored, I tried KB+M and noticed my game improve a ton. Same with Dark Souls. Was surpised at how much more fluid it was.

Edited by Mkilbride

I can't imagine WarFrame on KB+M.

I used to think Devil May Cry was best on a controller, til out of being bored, I tried KB+M and noticed my game improve a ton. Same with Dark Souls. Was surpised at how much more fluid it was.

You mean you can't imagine WF on a CONTROLLER right ?

Gameplay Controller Configuration: X (Use Item) & B (Reload) Could be combined into a Single Button, freeing up a button for further options (Roll etc)

Agree that Kb/Mouse is most accurate configuration. However I cannot WASD for an extended period due to an old motorcycle injury. Controller only or a different game unfortunately.

BTW Devs: Love the game!!