Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Improve Kubrows

noveltyhero

Hey guys,

I am not sure who else feels like this but overall the animations for our dear dogs are quite lackluster.

On Ship:

It is just odd that you have to go into an awkward semi-cinematic cutscene to interact with the Kubrow, this should be more dynamic and on the fly.

Not sure if this changes but with my puppy there is only one animation when interacting with him, at least two more should be added. -One of them could be you holding your hand up and the Kubrow trying to reach it

The Kubrow in general seems quite static and his sleeping place does not look comfortable at all, past incubation of the egg can we replace the metal circle with a soft looking cushion?

Off Ship:

This is the part that inspired me to write this topic the most.

The Kubrow seems way too static, this is from watching somebody else's Kubrow but it just seems very unexcited to do things. It's tail should wiggle when you pick up a mod and it should generally be more alive and natural. The body looks way too stiff and lacks that flow.

Ohh that's right it doesn't look like it is breathing, so that definitely needs to be animated. I can see why it wasn't as you didn't look at that when you were killing Kubrows but now that you have one it really should be put in place, I understand it is minor but really changes the feel and look of the Kubrow.

It's animations feel too light, this Kubrow was running around and when it turned it sort of just turned without an actual animation for it. When it ran up slopes it was half floating and in general when it turned it ran in a pretty wide circle rather than a more mobile 180* turn.

Additional suggestions required to make Kubrows feel more alive:

Idle animations:

Some more of these I'd say but smaller detail can be added inbetween each primary idle animation such as ear twitching or going soft or him rubbing nose.

Sounds

Haven't really heard them bark/growl much and their footsteps don't make much noise, which shouldn't be the case as they are pretty huge especially the bulky one (forgot name).

Environmental Interactions

In general the Kubrow should interact with the environment more, sneezing in cold tiles and growling at certain things, splashing water, tapping the fire (without taking damage) on firey tiles and looking curious at it, shaking off rain water.

Also, can he pee on certain things? Would be funny :D

Other Kubrow Interactions

This is where the Kubrows will most come to life. When they first meet they can play fight, walk in circles around each other staring down, *other dog sniffing stuff*, light growl males at males and opposites trying to impress each other, rolling around, playfully biting ear.

I understand this is a lot of work but it is required IMHO for Kubrows to really shine and feel different from basic Sentinels.

Even more additional:

Rather than always Stasis can we have some sort of Dojo room where we can put in our Kubrows like a care home? So they can actually grow like a family and interact with each other etc. Would be great :D

I think for starters the Kubrows need to be so so much simpler to make, its crazy how they are so distant from the simplicity of making sentinels and specters, too much stuff, too much complexity, too much requirements, too much time.

The developers went beserk with kubrows, they went to the far extreme to create the incubator system, and to the far extreme to make them like tamagotchis, I don't see them as worth doing or keeping.

Edited by 7grims

I think for starters the Kubrows need to be so so much simpler to make, its crazy how they are so distant from the simplicity of making sentinels and specters, too much stuff, too much complexity, too much requirements, too much time.

The developers went beserk with kubrows, they went to the far extreme to create the incubator system, and to the far extreme to make them like tamagotchis, I don't see them as worth doing or keeping.

To be honest it is not that bad because the basic system is in place for other types of animals.

A feline type animal can be added, a bird, a monkey, some sort of reptile etc

The system opened up many things to be added. If it was too simple it would get too old too fast, I haven't had much trouble with it. That said, there are several ways to get an egg and other things. So long as their interactions and needs are balanced they are fine. Just needs to take longer for them to be annoyed and all that other stuff because that is the way Warframe is made :/

So far the only things i think that need changing are the way their healed both in health and loyalty. as well as the duration of maturity, I mean 2 days to hatch and another 2 days for adulthood that's longer than a Warframe and a sentinel. Could we at least cut it down by a day.

Edited by Ookami_Nihonto

So far the only things i think that need changing are the way their healed both in health and loyalty. as well as the duration of maturity, I mean 2 days to hatch and another 2 days for adulthood that's longer than a Warframe and a sentinel. Could we at least cut it down by a day.

Yeah but this thread focuses on the art and animation side of things rather than mechanical :/

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with much that's said on this topic but i feel the kubrows movement is priority. It looks like a stationary "thing" that is tripping around. I like the animations for attack and such but the tripping and slope running looks so unnatural. I think the kubrow needs better movement animations. Maybe a bit like the zanukas animations? I think they look more natural, and that's a robot :P

Side note: would be awesome if u could build the zanuka and use it as a fifth kubrow :D

Edited by xaythor

I agree with much that's said on this topic but i feel the kubrows movement is priority. It looks like a stationary "thing" that is tripping around. I like the animations for attack and such but the tripping and slope running looks so unnatural. I think the kubrow need a running animation instead of the tripping :P Maybe a bit like the zanukas running animation?

Yeah it looks funny with the animation, seen the Kubrow run around super fast but not moving a muscle? Now that is maximum efficiency XD

On the Liset, they seem more like a fixture than anything else. They should either follow the player around the ship, maybe sitting/laying down nearby wherever the player is, or at least give the player the option to turn that ability on/off.

Additionally, it'd be cool to have fun stuff like playing fetch with it. Or perhaps it'll fetch stuff randomly whilst the player idles and there are nearby drops. Or perhaps if the player is running along, the Kubrow could make small diversions to pick up stuff that's close enough and drop it at the player's feet. (Depending on how the precepts are set, the behavior could be overridden with attack behaviors, etc.)

• 1 month later...

This is gonna sound silly, but I would actually want some sort of interaction when your Kubrow succeeding opening a locker/digging for stuff/killing stuff or whatever, and that interaction should be some kind of "good boy/hood girl" thingy.

And by that I mean, Just like IRL, when your pet does something that impresses you, you wanna tell your pet that.

By saying "good boy/good girl" and even give him a pat on the back. Just something to show your appreciation.