Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's A Tenno?

Innocent_Flower

I think that the Tenno might just be angels - a combination between Gandalf and Azazel as portrayed in the movie Fallen.

Like Azazel we must inhabit a physical form, otherwise we will disipate/evaporate outside of the void like Argon Crystals. We can inhabit a different warframe at different times, but we are singular and can only inhabit one at a time.

The same way that Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the White had slightly differing personalities and powers, but was the same Maia spirit (LoTR angels) being focused through different lenses, the Tenno's divine light is shaped by the lens that is the warframe we inhabit.

The warframes are constructs, replicas of specific heroes that came before and reflect thier personalities and the biomechanical battlesuits they wore - in the case of Excalibur, that was Hayden Tenno long ago. Warframes are literally made from a blueprint, chassis, systems and helmet - IRL biology you can use a 'frame' to build specific organs on, shaping it as it grows.  For another movie reference, that makes the warframes a bit like Jack Harper in Oblivion - one original, many replicas that inherited some of his memories and personality.

I wonder if that means The Lotus is effectively Metatron, a mortal human transformed into an archangel to be the voice of God (or 'daughter of a voice')?

Edited by Uzrael

I like to think that the Tenno were mutated by high energy that only orokin nderstood. However, it mutated the bodies in predictable ways -- explaining why so many tenno have the same set of abilities.

This explains why it's not easy to create a warframe -- why we rely on orokin original blueprints for replication. Community created warframe Nova was a first step in our understanding of the void science.

This means that the player is controlling several different tenno, but these are not the same tenno as other players control.

or....

PLOT TWIST: The player is orokin, psychically influencing/controlling the tenno -- humanoid constructs or modified humans themselves! This would explain why the community could create a new warframe, but the tenno themselves cannot. Also explains the third person view, and the multiple tenno per player.

Void science, kids. Don't try it at home.

Edited by S7ORM

I kinda like to agree with Captain vors statement. It fits in with my belief that Valkyr (forgive me snake) is an tenno that has been subjected through harsh treatment and was forced into this incomplete frame (default helmet shows two sides of it). Hence the reason why she is so aggressive. Because she cannot cope with the frame that she has been forced into and the instability results in high levels of aggression.

Its the other way around.

The Valkyr frame isn't half complete, its half disected...

The other thing to note is there are Prime frames.  This lends to the idea I think that Tenno fill the frame and most warframes are either replications or just simply lesser versions.  So are the primes originals or just the orokin version?

DE stated already the events of dark sector and warframe have nothing in common besides the technocyte plauge. Same universe is canon but the history doesn't link directly.

Excalibur isn't Hayden it was confirmed hayden died years ago by DE.

Excalibur is one of the people however who were in the great war and may or may not have been subjected to the technocyte plauge when the tenno originally wanted to use it as a weapon.

Actually, DE mentioned in Devstream that Hayden Tenno was the first tenno and the predecessor to tenno and that Dark Sector and Warframe are connected, just that they have a super long time gap in-between. 

To be honest, Hayden Tenno kinda WAS the first Excalibur, since he wore the prototype Excal suit, but yeah, the other guy kinda got some things wrong. 

Excalibur isn't a person, its the suit. Also check the excalibur codex again, cause Tenno didin't want to use suits as weapons, Tenno WERE the weapons, that were "turned" by the void, meaning they probably got their powers from the void and suits were made to enhance the powers of the Tenno inside the suit. 

Just to muddy the waters, I'll throw in the whole Prime v. Standard situation.  If the Prime Versions are the re-discovered original versions of the warframes, then it suggests the frames are suits and any Tenno can wear them.  Standard frames are copies and again any Tenno could wear them.  At least that's my two cents.

Tenno=Magical Space Mutant+Magical Space Armor

Mutant generate energy, suit focuses that energy into different powers.

Why do people assume just because embers codex has someone burning someone that it would be it's only ability? Seems very limiting considering void energy seems to be the embodiment of "because magic".

Edited by (PS4)Lowk721

Tenno didin't want to use suits as weapons

Not the suits silly, The technocyte plauge, the infested.

I said in posts before that the tenno were the people who were sent to the void and had suits shaped for them when they returned. However in a desperate attempt we actually used the technocyte plauge on some tenno for bio warfare which failed.

J2K dialouge talks about how we are both the same flesh.

And yes i'm well aware hayden was the first but DE also mentioned that the events of warframe's history and DS's history are so far apart they are irrelivant.

Even if he was the first they confirmed he's long dead in Warframe's timeline.

Edited by Blk_Mage

Not the suits silly, The technocyte plauge, the infested.

I said in posts before that the tenno were the people who were sent to the void and had suits shaped for them when they returned. However in a desperate attempt we actually used the technocyte plauge on some tenno for bio warfare which failed.

J2K dialouge talks about how we are both the same flesh.

And yes i'm well aware hayden was the first but DE also mentioned that the events of warframe's history and DS's history are so far apart they are irrelivant.

Even if he was the first they confirmed he's long dead in Warframe's timeline.

There is currently no strong evidence that the Tenno have any kind of Technocyte infection.

From a story perspective having _two_ sources of power for the Tenno, the Void (Which is much more sparkly, and superpower themed) and the Dark Sector style technocyte metallic-shell-that-kinda-makes-the-extra-armour-suit-redundant is bad storytelling. It's like your typical teenage-goth fanfiction "Woe is me I'm both a Werewolf and a Vampire, nobody understands me!"

Personally I think that _all_ of the Orokin tech is the result of turning the "living metal" from the old technocyte virus into a known technology (Forma) Given what the devs said in livestream 10 (Discussed more here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/202045-what-defines-the-orokin-and-what-rougly-did-they-look-like/ ) and that there is no reason for the Tenno themselves to be infected. All the "twisting" and "affliction" comes from the boiling uncontrollable void energy.

After all why make the infestation from the old technocyte virus if you already have perfected the stabilization of the theoretically-infected-Tenno?

Edited by SilentMobius

I'm thinking that The tenno aren't infected with any virus at all and that you're all getting confused with dark sector. In warframe it's the void that gives people powers (or death, or insanity, or a combination)

Or it's the combination of technocyte infection with void energies. I find it a monsterously improbable coincidence the Orokin named us Tenno out of the blue given that its confirmed that DS is cannon. The explanation that makes the most sense is that we were like Hayden before the void energies affected us and the Orokins only contribution to the Tenno was shoving them into the void and constructing warframes.

Or it's the combination of technocyte infection with void energies. I find it a monsterously improbable coincidence the Orokin named us Tenno out of the blue given that its confirmed that DS is cannon. The explanation that makes the most sense is that we were like Hayden before the void energies affected us and the Orokins only contribution to the Tenno was shoving them into the void and constructing warframes.

Hayden wore a proto-warframe that was created by an organisation that Mezner defected from when he decided to become one with the virus. It's highly unlikely that it required a technocyte infection to operate. If it didn't, then perhaps the naming is based on the only successful pilot of a proto-warframe, not about his infection.

British slang for a ten pound note

"Oi mayt can I borrah a tenno?"

Before people get offended i'm british

Don't they say "Can I ponce a few quid?"

Then again, I don't know much British slang, except maybe for some I got from The Getaway back in 2003.  What would you expect?  I'm American. :P

Uh w-wait a minute....I think "ponce" is a bad word.  Damn; sorry. )x

The Orokin were trees, and the Tenno, their seeds of righteousness....

Oh now THAT is a good one.  Here I was thinking the Orokin were some humanoid race, but what if they are totally something else?  What if the Orokin were like Mother Nature?  You see a representation of the Orokin via those white trees in the Towers.  Enjoy your +1. (:

I have no problem with the frames being a different Tenno, more fun that way.

Are they original Tenno the frame was built for, probably not. They could be descendents of the original frame users.

They (the original) have a raw almost mystical power that came from being screwed over by the void and the frame shapes it. It's their channel. It's not a hard concept, and it's pretty much what's in the lore. It helps them harness and control this energy which was probably rampant before. Think of X-men mutants having a bad discovery of their power and not being able to stop it.

The disfigured rejects from the void had frames built around them to help control their affliction. This new breed of humanoid became their own race, the Tenno. A generation or so later (don’t know how long the Tenno existed before cryo-sleep) I could see their descendents being the ones to continue the 'tradition' per say and continue being able to use frames due to the void power being in their blood. The frame/user might not be original, but it’s a suit built specifically for their power.

I personally don’t like the idea of a blob of shapeable mass to go wherever it pleases. Not my style.

Hayden wore a proto-warframe that was created by an organisation that Mezner defected from when he decided to become one with the virus. It's highly unlikely that it required a technocyte infection to operate. If it didn't, then perhaps the naming is based on the only successful pilot of a proto-warframe, not about his infection.

It's logical and definitely a possibility. The entry for the proto-armor states that it was only recently discovered which could imply the Orokin didn't know about it. Of course it's possible that it was found lost again found again, or the Orokin had it all along. I'm still not convinced the Orokin were human as the Sentients almost certainly were not and create a precedence for extra-solar life.

Assuming that the orokin created the Tenno from whole cloth though leaves the big gaping hole about Tenno philosophy. While perhaps not all Tenno adhere to the principles of maintaining balance it is at least promenint enough to be recognized universally as a Tenno principle. As the warframes (and for the sake of this argument) the Tenno would have been created at the same time which Excaliburs lore places on the eve of Orokin eradication at the hands of the Sentients and that they killed the Orokin on the eve of their victory there would have been no time to develop their philosophy. Given the distict eastern flair of the Tenno let us consider the samurai. The samurai code of honor was not formed in the heat of battle but by the survivors of those battles in their leisure and reflection at later times of relative peace and over a long period of time. Though it is far from certain that the balance was the motivating factor for the eradication of the Orokin it's the best thing we have to go on at the moment and actually fits.While I realize applying this kind of logic on a work of fiction is an inherently limited proposition to me all this seems to clearly state that the philosophy of maintaining balance was a pre existing Tenno cultural relic.

As such I'm sticking to my guns for now but thanks for the perspective.

It's logical and definitely a possibility. The entry for the proto-armor states that it was only recently discovered which could imply the Orokin didn't know about it. 

The Orokin wouldn't need to know about the physical remains of the suit if they were the ones that designed it, back during Dark Sector.

I'm still not convinced the Orokin were human as the Sentients almost certainly were not and create a precedence for extra-solar life.

Mag prime codex is quite specific about the other system with a blue sun where the Sentients were. I'm pretty certain they are full-on aliens.

Assuming that the orokin created the Tenno from whole cloth though leaves the big gaping hole about Tenno philosophy.

I imagine that conversation went something like this:
  • Orokin 1: "Ok, the Void freaks seems to be doing quite well, The new suits we made seem to be able to channel that caustic mess they have bound to their bodies"
  • Orokin 2: "Yes and our program to produce more of the little darlings by mis-jumping ships seems to be working."
  • Orokin 3: "Look I'm a little worried here, I mean what if they see through us, I mean I know we're been doing this for thousands of years, but these freaks could really give us a run for our money if they turned on us"
  • Orokin 2: "Sure but just like the rest of the sheep we gave then a strict set of rules we stole from the history of Japan, you know 'warrior code' and all that rot"
  • Orokin 3: "I still can't believe you called them 'Tenno' of all things"
  • Orokin 1: "Come on, the sheep have been whispering his name for hundreds of years and we never did find his body or the remains of the suit. How could we have soldiers wearing _those_ type of suits without someone connecting the dots? Anyway I rather liked him, he did give us enough time to get off the planet before it all went to hell"
  • Orokin 3: "Still, it might give them ideas above their station."

Maybe even:

"Don't worry, The Lotus operative are doing C&C for the freaks and they are wired _directly_ into our core systems. They're basically living computers, they will keep the freaks on the straight and narrow. I don't even think it's possible for a Lotus Operative to disobey our orders, If we feed her a line about 'maintaining the balance' then it gets hardwired into her. what could go wrong?"

Edited by SilentMobius

The Orokin wouldn't need to know about the physical remains of the suit if they were the ones that designed it, back during Dark Sector. Mag prime codex is quite specific about the other system with a blue sun where the Sentients were. I'm pretty certain they are full-on aliens. I imagine that conversation went something like this:

• Orokin 1: "Ok, the Void freaks seems to be doing quite well, The new suits we made seem to be able to channel that caustic mess they have bound to their bodies"
  • Orokin 2: "Yes and our program to produce more of the little darlings by mis-jumping ships seems to be working."
  • Orokin 3: "Look I'm a little worried here, I mean what if they see through us, I mean I know we're been doing this for thousands of years, but these freaks could really give us a run for our money if they turned on us"
  • Orokin 2: "Sure but just like the rest of the sheep we gave then a strict set of rules we stole from the history of Japan, you know 'warrior code' and all that rot"
  • Orokin 3: "I still can't believe you called them 'Tenno' of all things"
  • Orokin 1: "Come on, the sheep have been whispering his name for hundreds of years and we never did find his body or the remains of the suit. How could we have soldiers wearing _those_ type of suits without someone connecting the dots? Anyway I rather liked him, he did give us enough time to get off the planet before it all went to hell"
  • Orokin 3: "Still, it might give them ideas above their station."
Maybe even: "Don't worry, The Lotus operative are doing C&C for the freaks and they are wired _directly_ into our core systems. They're basically living computers, they will keep the freaks on the straight and narrow. I don't even think it's possible for a Lotus Operative to disobey our orders, If we feed her a line about 'maintaining the balance' then it gets hardwired into her. what could go wrong?"
Yeah and like most things you suggest it's plausible but no more so than what I suggested. Someday maybe we'll know.

Sure is frustrating though. Maybe DE will put me, you, and that one other lore hound whose always in every topic but whose name escapes me in a no holds barred cage match to determine the lore. It would make a great dev stream ^_^

Edited by NevanChambers

Yeah and like most things you suggest it's plausible but no more so than what I suggested. Someday maybe we'll know.

In general I agree with you, but I'm curious as to where you get the notion that the Sentients are not extra solar aliens? Given what's been said about the Sentients in the devstreams indicating other non-origin systems in the same breath as "the ones that fought the Orokin" Along with the Mag Prime codex definitely using a Solar Rail through the void and entering a system with a blue sun to fight the Sentients. And the visual descriptions of a "great-faceted-eye" and "worm ships" It all sounds very alien to me, with nothing to indicate humaniform or human-related.

Edited by SilentMobius

In general I agree with you, but I'm curious as to where you get the notion that the Sentients are not extra solar aliens? Given what's been said about the Sentients in the devstreams indicating other non-origin systems in the same breath as "the ones that fought the Orokin" Along with the Mag Prime codex definitely using a Solar Rail through the void and entering a system with a blue sun to fight the Sentients. And the visual descriptions of a "great-faceted-eye" and "worm ships" It all sounds very alien to me, with nothing to indicate humaniform or human-related.

I didn't say that, or rather didnt intend to maybe my sentence construction is akward. I was presenting that the Sentients were most likely extra-solar aliens as evidence that the Orokin could also be as it established precedence. To (attempt to) quote futurama "I respect my opennent he's a good man but frankly I agree with everything he just said"

I thought it was odd that you quoted that portion then agreed with it.

Edited by NevanChambers