Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Kubrow] Why Should You Use Kubrow Over A Sentinel?

KudaGila

I didn't lose mine to the glitch (thank god). I love kubrows because I'm a dog person, so anything resembling a dog (and isn't trying to kill me) will gain my attention and affection very easily. Again, it comes to down to personal preferences.

And I'm actually one of the rare people who hasn't experienced ANY of the issues regarding u14 as others have had. So I'm guess I'm blessed or something.

I was pretty excited when they were announced, but it sounds like they're expensive to maintain (which wouldn't have been so bad way back when, before credit payouts were cut) and have suicidal AI. Pressing the interact key really isn't as good as petting a real dog, and being forced to do it to recover from their bad decision making, which I would have no control over, takes away from what makes it good. I should do it because I like doing it, not because I need to fill a bar.

And I'm going to disagree with you again. Severanth raises a pretty good point. They have about half the mod slots of a sentinel/weapon combo. This can be compensated for by making kubrow mods have big bonuses attached, but it's still a limitation.

Nothing I've seen on kubrows makes them sound like they're worth the cost and trouble. If I want a dog fix, cuteoverload.com exists and requires 0 grinding.

Someone once said that they could put in a mod that made a kubrow target the flying enemies. They could jump up and catch them in their jaws, then smash them to pieces by crushing them with their teeth. That would be a huge help to those who are melee oriented (such as myself).

But what would you rather have, the ability to heal your pet via Pack Leader and having to sometimes pull out your weapon and shoot something, or the risk of losing your Kubrow because you can't heal it outside of Health Orbs and being able to stay melee forever?

But what would you rather have, the ability to heal your pet via Pack Leader and having to sometimes pull out your weapon and shoot something, or the risk of losing your Kubrow because you can't heal it outside of Health Orbs and being able to stay melee forever?

Both. Considering the amount of kubrows mods there are. I'd only need "Link health, link shields, savagery ( I own a sunika) and pack leader". Leaving 4 or 3 other slots to fill in.

Like I said, I'm melee oriented. I hate having to bring out my gun just to kill a flying pest because air attacks haven't been implemented yet.

Edited by TheErebus

In case you don't know, Kubrow is treated as another YOU at the moment. Healing spells working on you will also affect it. (I tried with oberon. My 3 will also regenerate the Kubrow)

And Life Strike on weapon will also heal the Kubrow. You don't need Pack Leader.

Another downside is the fact that you can't sell or get rid of a Kubrow (as far as I have seen anyways) so if you try to breed different types for different situations (like if you want a stealth and tank one) there is a chance you may end up stuck with two of the same type and unable to get rid of one. Of course, this doesn't really matter when you also take into consideration it takes three hours to swap between two Kubrow, when you can swap between two Sentinel freely between missions.

Another downside is the fact that you can't sell or get rid of a Kubrow (as far as I have seen anyways) so if you try to breed different types for different situations (like if you want a stealth and tank one) there is a chance you may end up stuck with two of the same type and unable to get rid of one. Of course, this doesn't really matter when you also take into consideration it takes three hours to swap between two Kubrow, when you can swap between two Sentinel freely between missions.

Stasis but yes there should be a way to SELL a kubrow (get rid of one like trashing it and I'll break your legs).

You're taking it out of cryostasis…you're gonna feel like S#&$ when you get out.

There are two main problems I have come to be aware of in my own use of my Huras, one is it's combat AI, I have stood many time in front of a group of corpus taking shots at my Rhino Prime on purpose so my Huras would attack and get the xp but unless I fire at their feet it's like it wakes up and says oh right i'll attack now. It's very stupid when it comes to combat. The other thing is I have to split my attention while in combat because I basically have to aim my kubrow at an enemy so it will "sometimes" attack so I feel held back while playing. Yes they are powerful and survive once modded but even if you have the most powerful gun on the battlefield it's useless if it's never fired, meaning how bad it's combat AI is.

sounds to me like the underlying problem with Kubrows (for most people in any case) is lack of utility mods.

Someone should make a suggestion thread for utility skills that would be sensible and useful for them. Customizable armor (or harnesses) would be an interesting feature in my opinion as well.

I would love to see a kubrow that could perform a roar similar to Rhino's but only affects the owner, that would immediately make him useful to me. Also, assuming you can't already do so, I would love to be able to trigger commands for the Kubrow as long as he retains high loyalty.

Edited by Kestral9999

Excalibur went from zero to radial javelin in a couple minutes.

It's different though. Remember what lotus said? 

"I'm over-surging your warframe". Think of it as rushing the warframe to work. Plus, at the beginning you saw excal still on his knees and could barely stand.

Stasis but yes there should be a way to SELL a kubrow (get rid of one like trashing it and I'll break your legs).

You're taking it out of cryostasis…you're gonna feel like S#&$ when you get out.

The problem with your statement is your basically just using fluff to justify S#&$ty mechanics.

If you're taking your Kubrow into a mission where you are unable to kill a room full of Heavies in those 20 seconds before he bleeds out, I don't think he is to blame.

Doesn't change the fact that a Sentinel will surely survive that situation.

How am I using fluff?

By saying "it's coming out of stasis so of course it's gonna be a slow." Stasis is not a mechanic, it's just fluff/lore. If they removed Stasis and just said you put them into some kennel hidden on your ship then you couldn't justify this, but because it's called stasis you try to justify a crap mechanic. If stasis really mattered, why does spending platinum make them come out of it faster? What magical properties does Platinum have that it can wake people from stasis instantly?

Edited by Severanth

By saying "it's coming out of stasis so of course it's gonna be a slow." Stasis is not a mechanic, it's just fluff/lore. If they removed Stasis and just said you put them into some kennel hidden on your ship then you couldn't justify this, but because it's called stasis you try to justify a crap mechanic. If stasis really mattered, why does spending platinum make them come out of it faster? What magical properties does Platinum have that it cane wake people from stasis instantly?

Because it's another way for DE to make money. Would you rather wait a full 3 hours for it to fully recover or spend a measily 10 plat to rush it (personally I'd wait the three hours). Btw, lore isn't fluff. If it doesn't make any sense in a game, then it breaks the lore which isn't a good thing at all.

Also, I can reverse this onto your sentinel. How does spending plat = crafting a sentinel instantly.

Another reason to use Sentinel over Kubrow

Kubrow Vs Infected = likely to crash. The attack where the kubrow stands on two and try to bite the opponent neck seems to love causing this. I already crashed enough to gut my Kubrow's Loyalty for the day.

Because it's another way for DE to make money. Would you rather wait a full 3 hours for it to fully recover or spend a measily 10 plat to rush it (personally I'd wait the three hours). Btw, lore isn't fluff. If it doesn't make any sense in a game, then it breaks the lore which isn't a good thing at all.

Also, I can reverse this onto your sentinel. How does spending plat = crafting a sentinel instantly.

I would rather not do either. If they wanted to make money off the Kubrow they could have done a lot more, like sell specific breed or color templates on the market, selling accessories for your kubrow for plat, or the ways they already have like rushing incubation or selling the power cores for plat. They could have even made it so you could buy the stabilizers individually with credits and bought a bundle with plat.

The fact that I can swap out my Sentinels whenever I want, as many times as I want, but I have to wait 3 hours between changing my Kubrow is senseless and it kinda makes having more than one pointless.

Edit: As for your second point, using plat to rush construction of something makes more sense than using plat to wake something up faster.

Edited by Severanth

I would rather not do either. If they wanted to make money off the Kubrow they could have done a lot more, like sell specific breed or color templates on the market, selling accessories for your kubrow for plat, or the ways they already have like rushing incubation or selling the power cores for plat. They could have even made it so you could buy the stabilizers individually with credits and bought a bundle with plat.

The fact that I can swap out my Sentinels whenever I want, as many times as I want, but I have to wait 3 hours between changing my Kubrow is senseless and it kinda makes having more than one pointless.

Well fine. Go back to your sentinels, I'm not saying you shouldn't use them, if you want to use them then full power to you. But when you come and say something negative about kubrows, I can go against what you said.

So far it definitely seems like Kubrows are a secondary choice to Sentinels, and only useful for dog lovers and people who want to level it for mastery. They need to buff them so that they are either on par or better than Sentinels, since there is a lot more required to maintain a Kubrow.

As I stated before, they should make mods that emulate support style Warframe abilities such as Roar, Warcry, Speed, etc. so that Kubrows have some legitimate advantage over Sentinels. These abilities should only affect the Kubrow and it's master, not the entire party, and they can be affected by the player's mod loadout.

If there are any glaring oversights that this suggestion would entail, please point them out to me. As far as I can tell, this is a decent solution to most of the complaints that Kubrows are inferior to Sentinels, which they shouldn't be.

Postnote: They need to add customizable armor variants to the Kubrows. Without that, I can't justify how a Kubrow can have a shield (or armor for that matter). It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Edited by Kestral9999