Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Kubrow] Why Should You Use Kubrow Over A Sentinel?

KudaGila

This thread gives me a headache, if you like one use one, if you like the other use the other. I still use my carrier because well I'm lazy, but I take my breed of Kubrow with me on harder missions because it has more health and deals more damage than any sentinel could ever do.

The upkeep isn't that bad to take care of one of the furry things, 100k whoopie doo that's 5 runs on pulto's dark sector defense.

Even if we were all to agree that Kubrow offer a similar and comparable benefit to a Sentinel, the question still stands as to why they require so much more work and such a high investment with so much risk when they don't provide anymore benefit than a Sentinel. You can't argue that they are better than Sentinels, you just can't. This isn't even really their fault, it's just that they haven't completely caught up to what Sentinels can do yet. Even if they were just as good as a Sentinel in utility, the problem is still what is required to maintain them. If DE can't/won't fix this then the Kubrow will eventually fall into disuse by the majority of players, even those who are championing them now.

Someone else pointed out in another thread how you get the quest for them really early in the game (for a new player), but the upkeep is more expensive than any other content in the game right now and even at lvl 30 with max rank mods you will still have a really difficult time taking them on any of the missions people keep saying to farm to get the credits to feed them.

Edited by Severanth

lvl 30 with max rank mods you will still have a really difficult time taking them on any of the missions people keep saying to farm to get the credits to feed them.

Speak for yourself. 2k health, 1.5k shields. Health restored in a couple hits with a decent melee build. Can it deal its share of damage? Yes. Can it recharge my shields? Yes. Can it control crowds? Yes. Does it suck in loot? No. Big woof, no pun intended.

I'm not trying to show off. I'm making a point. Like a lot of things in this game, they tend to be lackluster until they're completely fleshed out. When they finally are, they can be surprisingly effective. The Kubrows are suited for a melee-based playstyle, as they possess the health, shields, and armor to live through it. Sentinels are often more suited for a ranged one, as their stats aren't nearly as high. This explains why they're built like they are; to compliment their master's playstyle.

Edit: And are they worth their price? I don't know. When you finally get a weapon that's well suited to your playstyle, do you think it was worth the effort to obtain it?

Edited by Nitresco

Edit: And are they worth their price? I don't know. When you finally get a weapon that's well suited to your playstyle, do you think it was worth the effort to obtain it?

We have no weapons with an upkeep (dna/loyalty), and they don't take a hit every time we die :P

Again, it's okay that you like them, but they require constant work, which no other thing in the game does. Whether it's worth it or not depends on each player, but the point is it doesn't bring anything revolutionary to the table except for the upkeep itself!

In my opinion in regards to the OP I believe Sentinels have the better of it, for me it is because their combat AI is so much better than a kubrows. I would like to put forth a solution that would make Sentinel and Kubrow lovers happy. I suggest loading them as you would a sentinel. This would create the possibility of using both your sentinel and kubrow at the same time and no sentinel slot would need to be used.

See here's the thing: It's tamagotchi feel is because you are taking care of  LIVING BEING. If the sentinel was organic, you'd have to also take care of it. 

Can we stop using this argument? Tenno are virtual living beings too. But I don't have to stop by a space convenience store to buy Vor-flakes cereal before each mission. Not saying I disagree with your position, but I definitely disagree with your reasoning. 

That's me. 100,00k is quite easy to achieve if you get a good squad. Hell, if someone asked me to taxi them to sechura for 5 runs I'd do so. 

But I'm not the one who'd say "learn to play git gud". 

For those of us with jobs or mountains of college work, 5 runs per day is about all we can manage.

The only thing the Kubrow really have going for them is that they supposedly do more damage than a Sentinel does. The problem with this is they tend to only attack one target at a time and they do so rather slowly from what I've seen. The AI also tends to register them as a much bigger threat than your Sentinel shooting at them does so enemies will quickly switch targets (even off of you sometimes) to attack your Kubrow.
<You think this is necessarily a bad thing? Frontline-Backline is a common strategy for any pvp or pve game. All the aggro your Kubrow takes is less heat on you, hopefully you take that time to turn that into better clear times. Mod properly, and your pupplet will be more than adequate to take on the task.>

*If your sentinel dies it does not lose anything, if you die and revive your sentinel will also come back.

*If your Kubrow dies it loses Loyalty, if you die and revive your Kubrow does not come back.

<Your Kubrow is given a saving grace bleedout period, and therefore theoretically infinite revives. Your sentinel cannot. Furthermore, Loyalty costs nothing to restore.>

*Sentinels cost about 115,000 credits to make and require no upkeep.

*Kubrow require farming Earth repeatedly for an egg, then cost 100,000 to make plus an additional 100,000 credits roughly one to two weeks for upkeep.

<Kubrow require one egg to get one that has been modified to be approximately 20 runs if RNJesus hates you. 100k credits for an upscaled companion over 5 days seems very reasonable to me, especially since that translates into as little as 4 minutes of effort per day in the form of a Sechura run. Don't feel like taking the effort or that you aren't interested? Stasis the puppy until you do.>

*Sentinels require 24 hours to make.

*Kubrow require the construction of the incubator power core (8 hours), incubating the egg (48 hours), and then reaching maturity (24-48 hours) for a total of around 104 hours to make.
<Sorry that they want us to feel a certain attachment for our Kubrow, that you got the chance to raise it from an egg to the unholy ball of doom you brought it up to be. Furthermore, are you actually complaining about build times in WARFRAME? I get the feeling you haven't played that long... Everything productionwise in this game is about proper time and resource management.>

*Most enemies will not directly attack your sentinel making them easier to keep alive as they stay by your side.

*Kubrow have a higher threat priority than even the player it seems (may be a bug) so enemies will sometimes go out of their way to attack the Kubrow. In addition a Kubrow can run off on its own and has no map marker, so if it dies you may not be able to find it to revive it.
<In exchange for exposing itself to this danger, however, you have a companion that will chase down enemies in cover, draw fire away from you, and has intensely more powerful base defensive stats in both shields and health, and depending on your frame, even armor.>
<Fair point on the map marker, but that is a very easy fix, furthermore, 'may not be able to' is a hypothetical (albeit reasonable) situation that is in part already rectified by the attachment you have with your kubrow from raising it. I know i'm not letting a grineer touch a hair on my Kubrow's downed body, and i'm going to have some idea where he/she is for most of the game for both tactical and emotional reasons.>

*Sentinels have no loyalty, they always do maximum possible damage regardless of how many times they have died in a fight.

*Kubrows damage will degrade each time they die and can only recover from this 1.5 times a day.
<Sentinel damage =/= Kubrow damage, it's a different type and application, and if you're killing your kubrow more than once a day, the missions you're running or the equipped stats are obviously wrong for your level or loadout. Try some ingenuity by adapting what you bring and how you approach the mission.>

*Sentinels have a wider range of utility they can offer, even beyond the sentinel specific abilities. For example putting up a shield while reviving allies, or slowing enemies who get within melee range of you.

*Kubrow are limited only to their two breed specific abilities (many of which mirror the Sentinel powers) and the one non-breed specific ability to have a chance to open a locked locker.
<And when Kubrows have been out for as long as sentinels, I personally believe we will have a similar number of utility mods for our puppies. That's going to come in time though. what we started with was a very reasonable and adaptable base with which to get our pups out in the field.>

*You can switch between your different Sentinels freely between missions, this allows for wider versatility as you can bring your Carrier to one map, then your Wyrm to the next.

*It requires three hours to switch between your Kubrow, making it difficult (or impossible) to take advantage of the different breeds when tackling different mission types.

<Nothing is stopping you from yanking out a sentinel from a round or two if you want it. Kubrow between Kubrow, however, is likely an attempt to have you have 'your' Kubrow. It's fun to find /your/ playstyle and have /your/ pet, not another mass of companions that you pick and choose between like a soulless mechanical droid army.>

*You can custom tailor the appearance (color, shape) however you want for your Sentinel.

*Body shape, fur color, and pattern are all determined randomly and the chances of getting what you actually want are very slim. Most common variety appears to be plain white.
<These 'choices' can be bred in, and if you spend the time to do it, it grows all the feelings of having a special pet. Give them time and more designs will come out.>

*Sentinels look like tamagotchi.

*Kubrow act like tamagotchi.
<Sentinels are hard exoskeletons of metal and a gun. Kubrows are a pet and snuggly murder companion for your warframe. They fill two completely different, mutually-exclusive roles.>

This is all I can think of off the top of my head.
<If you were looking for Kubrow to be carbon copies of sentinels, then sorry. If you're interested in a more rewarding and higher cap companion, however, you might just enjoy the Kubrow.>

The problem is, that the quest is introduced too early, and the obligations are not communicated up front. 

You get it right out of the new tutorial. You can start farming an egg on earth prime. The time investments are *huge* nearly a week at best unless plat is spent ( and moast new people wont spend at this stage) to get one ready. 

At that level 100k is, big, but can be done if you work to it. Thats a level for a Sentinel say. its a very large chunk of change to come up with.

And if you do come up with it, thats enough of a sunk cost you'll find a way to farm the argon, Phorid alert say, or piggy back a void run. This can be done. 

Then, in what 6 days? I hear the DNA replenishers only top up 20% so 1 a day, giving slightly less than 17,000 credits a day just to break even on using a Kurbro (The fact that I am unsure is another problem, waiting time, upkeep costs ect are not communicated till you are already committed) 

and with all this and no way to clear slots you have at best a 1 in 4 chance to get the breed best suited to you.

They have to be overwhelmingly good to make up for the costs to a new player, and theres no way to balance that for established players. 

If you want these things to be a defining part of the Warframe experiance they need to be smarter, they need to be better and they need to be cheaper to feed. 

• 3 months later...

It comes down to preference. I used to not care for sentinels (because I could do all that crap myself: collect resources? Yeah I can just kill everything first and then go collect them). With kubrows however, as a dog person, I feel myself liking them far more. 

In terms of decaying health, it's fine until you get up to a negative number, then you heal them (at least that's how I do it). 

Restoring loyalty, I don't see why I shouldn't pet my kubrow.

Feed it? Do you mean restoring its health with the stabilizers. I like that part.

See here's the thing: It's tamagotchi feel is because you are taking care of  LIVING BEING. If the sentinel was organic, you'd have to also take care of it. 

Plus, kubrows can devastate an entire enemy force with the right mods and have you seen the health those beasts can have? It dwarfs my ash's 1096 health.

Tennos are organic...living beings...we don't have to feed water or pet.