Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sentients, And...cylons?

Kizlev

So far we know that...

Sentients = archenemy of the old Orokin. The more the Orokin advanced their technology, the more the Sentients were able to turn that tech against them. That led to the technocyte virus release, the Infested, and the formation of the Tenno and their Warframes.

So what kind of antagonist we know that is so often used in science fiction that can turn technology to its favor against the heroes of these stories? Artificial intelligence of course, or A.I. for short. Best classic examples being HAL 9000, or more recently Cortana from the Halo games. But if the Sentients were AI's, then does that make them like the Cylons from Battlestar Galactica? Does that explain the Neural Sentry in the Orokin Void? Is Ordis (the Liset's "mad cephalon") an AI that is becoming like the Sentients, or used to be one? Is DE making this up as they go along?

So many questions! Do you guys know what's up with the Sentients?

Nope. But we do know they used wormships and that orokin ships use a technology called shockpoints to travel.

I don't know what a wormship is, but I like the way warframe lore has a way of surprising me as it tennos in.

I feel like it's something similar to how Gravemind was in the Halo series, though a purely technological version, as he was purely biological.  The name "Sentients" sounds like it is setting them up to be self-aware learning artificial intelligences, and it isn't much of a stretch that they could control the technocyte virus along with all the Orokin tech, considering technocytes are robotics (technocyte means something like "technology cell" which seems like it's a nanite to me, anyway).

Basically the Orokin got too curious/complacent and let their technology surpass them and attempt to destroy them, since AIs have a tendency to see anything that isn't their own self as a threat.

This is merely speculation though, and I would hope some of it stays that way.  Having all the answers set in stone never really makes anything fun.

Well, the gravemind(s) in Halo were constructs. Biological ones, to be sure, but constructs.

They bear a very similar manifestation to the infestation, but not necessarily the Sentients.

However, some of the stuff we're presented with in Mirage's quest is...interesting and simply adds more questions to what the Sentients were. Seemingly, they were biological, or at least some of them were. We still know very little.  

My theory is that they're an impossibly advanced species who have such a comprehensive understanding of reality that anything real is controllable by them, which is why the Orokin had to turn to the "un-real" void to get an advantage.