Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Boss 2.0

Zaresin

Having played warframe since December on this account and since may 2013 on my ex boyfriends account the one thing that has kept me coming around and continue playing is the potential this game has. One of the glaringly painful issues with this game is not its lack of depth within the gameplay (which is a problem) but it's very anticlimactic nature. Speaking of bosses. These bosses (even the remade bosses) focus too much on invulnerability too much as the main mechanic and not enough on other mechanics we already have present within the game. I'm going to try to address this by going over each of these bosses and create a new boss as well for an existing tileset.

I will be including a solo scenario as well as a team scenario as each should have different mechanics as the solo scenario should be a more watered down version of the more difficult team oriented scenario. I will not be touching Vor, hyena pack or Vay Hek at this time but may in a future update depending on feedback from players and DE.

Phorid

Team scenario

Phase 1

Upon enter the mission approximately 1 min after the mission has started, the team will recieve a transmission from Phorid that says "We are the vessel through which immortality is achieved. Assimilate <player name>". Once this transmission has been received, that player that was named will be attacked by an ooze and be assimilated becoming hostile to their team removing control of the player for 30 seconds (possibility to shorten through hacking interface otherwise full duration if failed). Players must attack this player to force Phorid from the Tenno, once Phorid is either forced from the Tenno or the time has expired a new target from the remaining non infected Tenno (with a transmission being received for each instance giving the team to heal up and prepare if needed) will be chosen cycling until all members of the team have been assimilated once. Players that have had Phorid forced from them or after the time expired will be in a downed state and must be revived by their team. Phorid will have access to players powers and weapons during their controlled phases. Upon completion of last assimilation Phorid will send the transmission "Data Assimialtion complete. We know your weaknesses now, proceed and join us". Lotus will say "Tenno, proceed with caution, the data assimilation will have given them valuable information".

Phase 2

Phorid will say upon activation of this phase "Revoke the frailties of flesh, join with us"

Players must wade through several rooms filled with infested. Upon reaching Phorid he will be in a circular room similar to lephantis' hive room or current room set without the hole in ground.

Phorid will be accompanied by an ancient healer, ancient disruptor, and toxic ancient. Depending on which ever ancient is left up Phorid will take on a unique buff.

Ancient healer: Phorid gains lifesteal from attacks

Ancient disruptor: physical body causes disruption so any connecting attacks will cause the disruption efffects. Melee only Tenno beware as yur connecting attacks will also cause disruption to you.

Toxic ancient: attacks bypass shields effecting health directly but will have less damage as the toxin will hurt Phorid each time it attacks.

Whichever ancient is still up last will become immune to damage and assimilated by Phorid giving them the buff.

Phorid will have a cone roar that will stun units in a cone in front of it. This attack will be choreographed by a red glow starting at its butt and proceeding to its head where it will fire the attack. Does no damage, only stuns. (If toxic buff is present, will damage Phorid)

Melee cleave attack, same situation as above, his arm will glow when cleaving but will have a much shorter reaction time alotted.

Pounce- Phorid's eyes will glow telling the team he will be pouncing on a chosen target. The target chosen will have a red glow about them as Phorid will be using the assimilated information to pick off a weak target.

Repeat until either side wins.

Solo scenario

Phase 1

Phorid will send his transmission as he would in the team scenario however in this scenario when attacked by the assimilation blob, the player will be in a locked down state while the lotus is the one that will be fighting Phorid off in your systems to try and shut them out. Player will lose their shields only and the lotus will tell you she will get them back online. Same dialogue form this point on as in team for this phase.

Phase 2

During this phase Phorid will have the same attacks from above without the buffs with one addition. When the player is hit with the roar, Phorid will attempt to bypass your security protocols and gain access to your warframe. A hacking mini game will appear on screen either use a cipher or complete normally Phorid will not attack during this is going on as he needs to concentrate on gaining control. Should a player fail, they will lose all shields and for a time Phorid will become inraged hitting harder should he make a successful attack. Repeat until either party is dead.

Edited by Zaresin

Orokin AI control center (only appear on a t3 or t4 defense mission)

During a defense mission this boss will have the possibility to spawn. Once triggered. It will spawn on wave five of every wave until killed. Enemies will not spawn during the 5th round of every five rounds other than the boss.

Once triggered the boss will have mutliple objects that will require a team to complete.

Prior to spawning players will hear "intruder incursion detected" (think of the voice "I can't do that Dave")

The boss will spawn in the main room in front of the door by the two staircases. Will completely block off access to that door way. The boss will be a clear shielded energy matrix that houses the AI. Two hovering orokin shield ospreys will be keeping the boss from taking damage. Two Players must run up those two staircases and on each side is a room. In the rooms will be an argon energy matrix. In front of it will be a pair of friendship consoles. The two players downstairs will have a choice to make for each time the boss spawns. Those shield ospreys depending on color chosen will do one of two things for the rest of that boss encounter.

Red shield osprey: turrets will spawn that utilize the moa lazers on players in a fixed direction once it has been fired (won't change direction till fire duration has ended so move). When this is picked. The AI will say "termination protocol activated".

Blue shield osprey: turrets will spawn that utiize the bouncing Betty like grenades that will send out a burst of energy that will knock back players from the area and cause a disruption effect damaging the warframe. This aoe effect will persist for a few seconds and knock back anyone that tries to enter it. The AI will say "suppression protocol activated".

The players upstairs at the friendship terminals depending on the color chosen will have to go to the terminal of the opposite color chosen from the players downstairs where they will have to activate the friendship terminal. This will cause a feedback into the main AI downstairs making it vulnerable. The AI will say "argon energy matrix breach detected, self destruct protocol activated"

Players will have 1:30 on a T3 defense mission and :45 on T4 to attack and deplete shields and do significant damage to the boss to stop the self destruct protocol. Once 25% of damage has been given to the AI, the AI will say "self destruct protocol terminated, recovery protocol initiated". The boss will teleport out and the round will end. This will continue on every 5th round with the last being on wave 20. This boss will drop a prime part upon completed death for that respective T3 or t4 defense mission. You will still recieve a round 20 extraction reword option.

If players fail to do significant damage in the amount of time, the round will end in failure of the mission with the entire Tower self destructing. (Art department, make a sweet exploding floating tower destructing scenematic. Here is your chance to show us what these towers look like). Key will not be used upon failure of this boss.

note; players are still able to extract earlier if a prime reward or other option is more favorable option at each 5 wave increments as before.  players are not obligated to continue to wave 20.  

Edited by Zaresin

interesting idea, but i dont like being out of controll of my character, for 30 seconds or otherwise. i just seems a bit.. off... in terms of the dialogue, it makes sense (sorta), but it doesnt from a gameplay stand point.

Edit: sorry if i took a spot you wanted to reserve

Edited by Entari0

interesting idea, but i dont like being out of controll of my character, for 30 seconds or otherwise. i just seems a bit.. off... in terms of the dialogue, it makes sense (sorta), but it doesnt from a gameplay stand point.

Edit: sorry if i took a spot you wanted to reserve

Possibility to shorten through hacking.

I will probly have a mod move a post to above yours as I want to do each of the bosses at some point so will be constantly updating. I didn't want to do it all in one post as then it would get too long and wasn't sure on the limit for size. I may end up using spoiler tags to take care of it but am on my ipad typing and typing on a touch screen is frustrating enough. Plus I would like people to vote on each of the concepts.

Edited by Zaresin

Possibility to shorten through hacking.

even so. an what would you hack? the infestation is a biological organism, there is no technology there, especially considering that phorid came along long before the infestation went technological. Being out of controll of your character in a game is frustrating, in all the games i have played. 

One such example is InFamous. If you have never played it, you are a bike courier who gets electricity powers. your basic lightning bolt takes no energy, and more powerful abilities take more. mid way through the beginning part of the game, you get covered in tar, which blocks out some of your energy reserves, making it harder to use your powers, and so you have to recharge more frequently. I found it frustrating to deal with, especially because, to get rid of it, you had to do a few story missions, in a weakened state.

My point is, when you have something set up the way you like it,and then the mechanics of the game force you to do things differently, it can be very frustrating, to the player, and, in the case of phorid taking over your tenno, the programmers at DE.

even so. an what would you hack? the infestation is a biological organism, there is no technology there, especially considering that phorid came along long before the infestation went technological. Being out of controll of your character in a game is frustrating, in all the games i have played.

One such example is InFamous. If you have never played it, you are a bike courier who gets electricity powers. your basic lightning bolt takes no energy, and more powerful abilities take more. mid way through the beginning part of the game, you get covered in tar, which blocks out some of your energy reserves, making it harder to use your powers, and so you have to recharge more frequently. I found it frustrating to deal with, especially because, to get rid of it, you had to do a few story missions, in a weakened state.

My point is, when you have something set up the way you like it,and then the mechanics of the game force you to do things differently, it can be very frustrating, to the player, and, in the case of phorid taking over your tenno, the programmers at DE.

The infested are a result of the tenocyte virus going wrong according to the lore that we do have and were created by the orokin to combat the sentients. They are both biological and technological on a microscopic scale.

Bosses by nature will be difficult. They are not supposed to be the linear point kill we have now. The only difference on the currently remade ones is the over reliance on iPhase which is boring and un imaginative. Making something. Invulnerable is a cheap mechanic and adds no difficulty. This boss is an optional boss and not part of the overal game due to it only appearing once a boss node is infested. Hence the rather unique mechanic of loss of control which I would only ever use on this boss due to it being optional.

We also have. A system in game that mimics the frames, specters. We have the coding, just combining them would be an issue.

Edited by Zaresin

The infested are a result of the tenocyte virus going wrong according to the lore that we do have and were created by the orokin to combat the sentients. They are both biological and technological on a microscopic scale.

Bosses by nature will be difficult. They are not supposed to be the linear point kill we have now. The only difference on the currently remade ones is the over reliance on iPhase which is boring and un imaginative. Making something. Invulnerable is a cheap mechanic and adds no difficulty. This boss is an optional boss and not part of the overal game due to it only appearing once a boss node is infested. Hence the rather unique mechanic of loss of control which I would only ever use on this boss due to it being optional.

actually, if you want to get all the frames without buying them, fighting phorid is a mandatory part of the game. but i digress. the point is, turning a player into a hostile specter for any amount of time is likely not going to go over well with the community. are the bullet sponge bosses an issue? Yes, certainly. is the invulnerability annoying? absolutely. is removing player control a good idea? no. here is one time that DE tried something similar, i believe in an effort to increase teamwork.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Nervos

actually, if you want to get all the frames without buying them, fighting phorid is a mandatory part of the game. but i digress. the point is, turning a player into a hostile specter for any amount of time is likely not going to go over well with the community. are the bullet sponge bosses an issue? Yes, certainly. is the invulnerability annoying? absolutely. is removing player control a good idea? no. here is one time that DE tried something similar, i believe in an effort to increase teamwork.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Nervos

That was due to the unavoidable way in which they worked and were on till removed by another player and was a more random mechanic. The assimilation mechanic can be completely canceled with one click (cipher) or by playing the hacking mini game we currently have access to and will be known about prior to entering the instance in most cases as Phorid appears in later planets after players have had a chance to get to know the game a bit. Not to mention once enough damage is taken, the mechanic ends anyway as the player then will go to a downed state, 30 seconds is only if the player is unable to be taken down in that time or does not do the hacking mini game.

30 seconds is a very short time as the hacking game if I remember right is 17 seconds normally. Considering the multiple ways to get out of it early, I doubt player will have an issue with it as say standing around with your fingers up your butt waiting for an iPhase to end.

Hmm..now trying to decide if I want to put my kela de Thaym idea on paper first or the tower defense boss I have.

Edited by Zaresin