Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Did They Say They Were Going To Touch Excal?

ShadowCore67

I have allways seen Excalibur as the "starter frame". Easy for beginners as opposed to Loki, Trinity and Banshee for example.

Besides for me he is the poster boy for the entire franchise, I have allways believed the one we see in the movies is the main character, whoever you think that to be.

For this exact reason I never chose him, and never built him.

Maby give him a chance in the future though.

You make the claim that he is good in T4, the onus is on you to prove it. You can't say, "X is absolutely true; prove me wrong." Logic doesn't work that way.

Well then. In absence of footage, let's talk stats:

300 health and shields. With a maxed redirection and vigor this could get up to about 900. Not outstanding, but still solid. 

65 armor. Again, nothing spectacular, but better than the 15 armor most caster frames get.

Slash dash covers about 30 meters, which I'd say is about the length of one of those void hallways. It only deals 500 damage at base level, and costs 25 energy.

Radial blind stuns all enemies within 25 meters, which is close to the range of slash dash (one of those void hallways for reference). The initial stun staggers them, and at base level they're then disabled for 15 seconds. Blinded enemies are susceptible to 4x damage stealth attacks.

Super jump jumps you about twice as high as a normal jump, and can be used while wall running. It also only costs 10 energy.

Radial Javelin hits 15 enemies within 25 meters of excal (same range as blind) for 1000 damage each. 

Now, those aren't amazing stats, but they're well competitive with most frames used in high-level gameplay. With a good weapon you're not placed at any significant disadvantage due to his health or armor, and his abilities offer dependable, but not spectacular, CC and mobility compared to other endgame frames.

Edit: you know, you were the one who jumped in here saying excal was bad...I think the burden of proof is on you

Edited by vaugahn

Excalibur's biggest issue is that Radial Javelin is really bad.  Outside of that his 3 could use some more base height and 1 should preserve/use/generate melee combo meter. 

To fix Radial Javelin I would make it so that the javelins always carry enemies struck all the way to the wall, the way killing shots of bows/boltor/stinger/etc do.  This would allow for massive damage potential if you lined up the enemies correctly while keeping the limitation of the ability being blocked by terrain in play.  The animation also needs fixing to make it safe to cast and not lock you in place for many seconds at a time.  Upping the proc chance would also be cool, but not necessary. 

Edited by RealPandemonium

I disagree. He is quite viable if you use him properly... Problem is, many people are clueless on how to use him effectively at higher levels. :/

I think it's just because they are under-geared. 

It's not like there is much to it, using him effectively at higher levels boils down to casting Radial Blind every 10 seconds or-so. 

Excalibur's biggest issue is that Radial Javelin is really bad.  Outside of that his 3 could use some more base height and 1 should preserve/use/generate melee combo meter. 

I could imagine Radial Javelin doing something like... Pull enemies that are hit by the swords to you instead of just being a damage dealer. It would allow Excal instant-access to melee range along with his gap-closer Slash Dash ability. 

Super Jump should have a preserve melee-combo counter effect or something. 

Edited by TwiceDead

I think the point here is that even if excalibur can perform decently in the endgame, there's too many other frames with "copied" abilities that perform them much better. Zephyr's tailwind, Rhino's... rhino charge, and to an extent Mirage's prism. Excalibur's abilities need to be looked at so he feels like the frame that does those tasks best. But in his current state, he feels more like a copy of everyone else - not the original badass he should be.

Edited by Cyv001

I think the point here is that even if excalibur can perform decently in the endgame, there's too many other frames with "copied" abilities that perform them much better. Zephyr's tailwind, Rhino's... rhino charge, and to an extent Mirage's prism. What needs to happen is make Excalibur's abilities good enough so that HE looks like the original - and not like some copy like everyone else should be.

You are comparing gap-closer abilities. They do what they're supposed to, close gaps. Nobody uses those abilities for damage. 

As for Radial Blind, Mirage has a 3 second cast time unless you grab Natural Talent. Excal can almost cast it instantly in comparison, which can be invaluable depending on the situation. 

Super Jump is still unique to excal, except Zephyr get's Super Jump and Slash-Dash combined in one button-press... Hm. 

Radial Javelin is still unique to excal! But it's kinda useless...

Okay I kinda see where you're coming from with this. 

I think the point here is that even if excalibur can perform decently in the endgame, there's too many other frames with "copied" abilities that perform them much better. Zephyr's tailwind, Rhino's... rhino charge, and to an extent Mirage's prism. Excalibur's abilities need to be looked at so he feels like the frame that does those tasks best. But in his current state, he feels more like a copy of everyone else - not the original badass he should be.

Nyx can stun enemies in the same way, except after being incapacitated, they don't go back to normal. They start attacking one another. Excal only has one borderline useful utility skill, but it does no damage and is completely out-classed by other frame's utility skills.

Nyx can stun enemies in the same way, except after being incapacitated, they don't go back to normal. They start attacking one another. Excal only has one borderline useful utility skill, but it does no damage and is completely out-classed by other frame's utility skills.

But you're not at any sort of disadvantage for taking him. He doesn't do anything very well, but he does a lot of different stuff passably. 

But you're not at any sort of disadvantage for taking him. He doesn't do anything very well, but he does a lot of different stuff passably.

Pretty much. Sounds like a certain other frame I know of... *sadly looks at Oberon*

Pretty much. Sounds like a certain other frame I know of... *sadly looks at Oberon*

I'd venture to say excalibur is probably a little better than oberon...excalibur can do a lot of stuff okay, oberon can do a lot of things badly

He's getting reworked though :D

Needs buffs/tweaks on his slash dash, super jump, radial javlin

Slash dash: its a very old skill as is beaten by rhino charge, tidal surge. While new frames come out they get better abilitys yes its a good Mobility but needs. to be brought up to date

Super jump: I hate this ability find it useless and can do all the same stuff with parkour skills or other frames like zephr who can go the same height but has other effects on that skill as well but some people like it so either it needs tweaking or add a new ability but keep super jump aswell

Radial blind: does not need touching

Radial javlin: to many cons : animation to long and can be damaged, limited number of enemies, damage falls of mid level, stoped by objects, aimimg does not work properly I can have an enemy next to me but wont hit them but hit others no where near me

He may have had good abilitys before all this damage 2.0 and other patches but now with tbe new updates and new warframes with abilitys that are getting better or have more pros than cons hes falling behind

Hes a melee frame yet he cant get into melee range without taking massive damage and radial blind does not count I want to be able to get into melee range but still take damage but be more observant with a new ability that provides meleeing all frames can melee with the melee 2.0 and there caster frames or such

Doing things worse than other frames is a disadvantage.

There are other frames that excel in one area that make them a better choice (e.g. Trinity, Nekros).

There are other frames that are better all arounders than Excal as well (e.g. Rhino).

Excal is one of the frames that is only really for grinding MR then selling.

Doing things worse than other frames is a disadvantage.

There are other frames that excel in one area that make them a better choice (e.g. Trinity, Nekros).

There are other frames that are better all arounders than Excal as well (e.g. Rhino).

Excal is one of the frames that is only really for grinding MR then selling.

Mm no. Being functional in every situation is its own advantage. All of those frames you mentioned can get in trouble on their own, whereas there's not really any situation in which an excalibur would underperform. He's certainly not the best frame in the game, but he's not mastery fodder either. 

Excal only has one borderline useful utility skill, but it does no damage and is completely out-classed by other frame's utility skills.

All of Excalibur's skills are useful if you use them correctly. And no, this does not mean that all of Excal's skills are useful in all situations. (I feel the need to say that because I am sure that someone will try to twist what I am saying into that.) Like I have been saying, if you know his abilities well enough, and are smart enough to know when to use what, Excal holds up pretty well in late-game content. Not the best, no, but he isn't useless there.

But don't get me wrong here. He could use an upgrade. I'm just trying to make the point that he is not absolute useless trash as many proclaim him to be.

All of Excalibur's skills are useful if you use them correctly. And no, this does not mean that all of Excal's skills are useful in all situations. (I feel the need to say that because I am sure that someone will try to twist what I am saying into that.) Like I have been saying, if you know his abilities well enough, and are smart enough to know when to use what, Excal holds up pretty well in late-game content. Not the best, no, but he isn't useless there.

But don't get me wrong here. He could use an upgrade. I'm just trying to make the point that he is not absolute useless trash as many proclaim him to be.

Even Oberon holds up better at end game.

Mm no. Being functional in every situation is its own advantage. All of those frames you mentioned can get in trouble on their own, whereas there's not really any situation in which an excalibur would underperform. He's certainly not the best frame in the game, but he's not mastery fodder either. 

The frames I mentioned with a specific purpose can get in trouble on their own.  That is because the are built for one purpose to serve, and they do it very well.  They are much better than Excal in a team setting because they bring far more to the table.

The all arounders, like Rhino, handle solo better than Excal too.

Even Oberon holds up better at end game.

The frames I mentioned with a specific purpose can get in trouble on their own.  That is because the are built for one purpose to serve, and they do it very well.  They are much better than Excal in a team setting because they bring far more to the table.

The all arounders, like Rhino, handle solo better than Excal too.

First off let me just laugh a little at the oberon comment. 

Second, the reason why I still have excal is to fill out teams. Bringing him is never a disadvantage anywhere, which makes him an excellent option for jumping into games where you don't know exactly what to expect. You won't be doing anything amazing, but you'll be able to hold your own and provide good support for your allies. 

First off let me just laugh a little at the oberon comment. 

Second, the reason why I still have excal is to fill out teams. Bringing him is never a disadvantage anywhere, which makes him an excellent option for jumping into games where you don't know exactly what to expect. You won't be doing anything amazing, but you'll be able to hold your own and provide good support for your allies. 

Laugh all you want, but Oberon is better than Excal. I am not saying Oberon is good by any stretch, just better than Excal.

Then you should be using Rhino.

Laugh all you want, but Oberon is better than Excal. I am not saying Oberon is good by any stretch, just better than Excal.

Then you should be using Rhino.

Please, tell me why oberon is better than excal. I'm really excited to hear this one.