Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion: Effective Level System

Kestral9999

I'm sure I'll likely be getting a bit of backlash for this suggestion (for being "discussed already", or just because "no") But regardless, here goes...

The BEST suggestion I can make to give this game any semblance of challenge on lower level planets for veteran players would be to implement something similar to the effective level system from Guild Wars 2. With this in effect, your equipment's base stats would decrease according to whatever the node you are on's effective level is.

So say you have a max level, potato'd, fully forma'd boltor prime, your base damage is ridiculous even without mods. On top of that you're rocking a max level, potato'd, fully forma'd Warframe as well. You then decide to go to a low level mission such as Kiliken and be a God walking amongst mere mortals. However, instead of the suggested level that appears on the node's tab, you see effective level 8. So that means that the base stats of all the gear you're bringing in are set to the stats of a level 8 version, though with the added benefit of a full arsenal of mods. So you are still extraordinarily powerful for that mission but instead of having 300 base shields and health you would have somewhere around 150, so on and so forth for the rest of your stats.

The good side of this is that it adds more challenge for veteran players going back to help newer players on early missions without truly nerfing them. The downside is that you will no longer one shot everything in your path with whatever bullet hose you pick. While this is entertaining at the beginning, it loses it's charm after a few thousand times.

Edited by Kestral9999

ITT: In a game based on gear progression, remove gear progression.

Not at all, simply make it variable rather than static. You can still have your mods and all of your gear, your gear is just going to be weaker if you're playing on mercury.

Edited by Kestral9999

So basically i go to mecury and my gear deal just enough damage to kill the mobs there and then stalker/g3 spawn

Stalker and G3 would be scaled to effective level as well. Do you not know how that system works? You keep your mods, they still do just as much increased effect as they normally would, they are just increasing a smaller base stat.

Let's not go poking holes for the sake of poking holes. This system has been proven to work in other games, and I don't see a reason it wouldn't work here, aside from "there's no need for it" which is a matter of debate. As I think there is definitely a need for a system that balances squads effectively.

Edited by Kestral9999

Stalker and G3 would be scaled to effective level as well. Do you not know how that system works? You keep your mods, they still do just as much increased effect as they normally would, they are just increasing a smaller base stat.

Let's not go poking holes for the sake of poking holes. This system has been proven to work in other games, and I don't see a reason it wouldn't work here, aside from "there's no need for it" which is a matter of debate. As I think there is definitely a need for a system that balances squads effectively.

The problem with this idea is this:

How do you scale down the stats while keeping the mods at full power?

As it is weapons gain *nothing* from being leveled up.

A 5x forma R30 boltor prime without any mods in it deals the same damage as an 0 forma R0 Boltor prime.

Its purely the mods that increase the stats.

So how would you "Scale down" the weapon since the mods are going to be the same?

And if you try to scale down the mods, how are you going to do that in a way that wont just be horrible for everyone?  Which mods would stay active, and at which levels?

And you honestly expect them to fix the scaling so that you could honestly do that?  How long have they been trying to make stalker scale for lower level players and never succeeding?

Currently  you can have fresh R5 gear all around without forma in them or a potatoe and stalker will be the exact same strength as when you are in multi-formaed R30 gear.

Also this would kill quite a bit of fun in this game.

I *enjoy* going back to earth and venus and curb stomping everything.

I *enjoy* going to a boss with uber gear and wiping the floor with him without any effort.

Why stop me from enjoying that?

Edited by Tsukinoki

Not at all, simply make it variable rather than static. You can still have your mods and all of your gear, your gear is just going to be weaker if you're playing on mercury.

Ya, so you're removing my progression of unlocking new weapons and making them more powerful, there is no point for me to make clan weapons since now my mk-1 braton scales with enemies!

The problem with this idea is this:

How do you scale down the stats while keeping the mods at full power?

As it is weapons gain *nothing* from being leveled up.

A 5x forma R30 boltor prime without any mods in it deals the same damage as an 0 forma R0 Boltor prime.

Its purely the mods that increase the stats.

So how would you "Scale down" the weapon since the mods are going to be the same?

And if you try to scale down the mods, how are you going to do that in a way that wont just be horrible for everyone?  Which mods would stay active, and at which levels?

And you honestly expect them to fix the scaling so that you could honestly do that?  How long have they been trying to make stalker scale for lower level players and never succeeding?

Currently  you can have fresh R5 gear all around without forma in them or a potatoe and stalker will be the exact same strength as when you are in multi-formaed R30 gear.

Also this would kill quite a bit of fun in this game.

I *enjoy* going back to earth and venus and curb stomping everything.

I *enjoy* going to a boss with uber gear and wiping the floor with him without any effort.

Why stop me from enjoying that?

Guess it's a bad idea since there are many who enjoy how things are now, right? Screw the challenge oriented players, right? As long as I can go back and smack the crap out of everything and show off to the newbies, nothing needs to change, right? Why stop me from getting any legitimate challenge from literally any boss on the star chart? Maybe, some players don't relish in challenge, but that is one of the things this game has always boasted, it's never been a terribly "fun" game. (don't get me wrong, I still enjoy it). 

And weapons should have lower starting base stats obviously, what was posted isn't the only change that would be necessary for the system to work. As with most changes to this game, it would require a lot more than the forefront ideas. They would definitely need to get scaling down the stalker/zanuka/g3 perfected first. I'm suggesting a level scaling overhaul, that is not something that comes lightly or without a fair bit of reworking.

Edited by Kestral9999

Ya, so you're removing my progression of unlocking new weapons and making them more powerful, there is no point for me to make clan weapons since now my mk-1 braton scales with enemies!

You need to read the post properly. Scaling DOWN equipment is what I'm suggesting. Not up, that would be utterly pointless.