Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oh, Gosh, So Much Un-Needed Menu Navigation. I Think I'm Going To Be Sick.

PaxEthenica

It's like picking through a train wreck, but the train was filled with orphans heading to Disney Land, and you're a first responder looking for survivors. Everywhere around you, bloody shreds of tiny bodies lie, but you HAVE to keep looking under every eyelid for a response. You don't want to, it's a tedious, repetitive process, it turns your stomach to think that the way it was before was so much better than it was now, but to get anything done you just have to do it. Even though it's eroding your soul.

Why does it take three clicks to renew my extractor drones? Why do I have 4 friggin' different menus to manage my mods, and why does my BIG, FAT, STUPID WARFRAME obscure an entire column of them? Anyone who's looked over their collection (why they'd do that, I have no idea, it's a menu that doesn't need to exist) in Rhino knows what I'm talking about.*
Why does it take up to SIX DIFFERENT ACTIONS TO NAVIGATE THE SOLAR SYSTEM? Think I'm exagerating? Thinking, "no one is that stupid, not even Apple!" Let's count. One, you press a key to open the nav menu; two, you click on a planet; three, if the location is obscured by the BIG, FAT, STUPID PLANET you right click to turn the wheel; four, you click on the location; five, you click on the 'accept' button in the upper left of the screen. And if you don't want to wait, or have intentionally set your ping really low so you can reliably host, SIX, you click on 'play now.' It used to be a three-left-click from navigation to hacking things to pieces. Now I'm pressing keys and using both mouse buttons. Never mind that the navigation function itself is a clusterfrag of confusing icons, borderless white text on a light grey background (The PT Cruiser of menu design.), and a non-existent sense of direction.
Who thought it a good idea to have to walk across a little room just to change your loadout? Because you can't do it between missions anymore. You have to waste moments of your life and everyone else's time to swap out a weapon, or a warframe now. I mean, having the ship is nice and everything, but it should be an optional part of weapon and warframe modification. "But you can use the diagetic menu to change-" NO! Shut up. No, you can't. Not as of 14.0.8. The menu is useless for quick swaps, and it still TAKES MORE CLICKS THAN THE OLD WAY.

In short, this post is a complaint about addition of frivolous window dressing that has added nothing to my experience, done at the cost of an all-important elegance. Fable 3 tried something even more clunky and intrusive than this, and it was a poorer game because of it. Warframe isn't as bad as Fable 3, as I JUST said, but it's still a damning indictment of the design decision to ape something that people knew didn't work, and then hoping it does work just because "it won't be as bad."

As a personal aside I worry that I complain too much, but Warframe is a changing product, so I shouldn't shut up whenever something I don't like happens to the game. Because, maybe, I can actually change things for the better, for everyone.

*Or Hydroid. But no one, mostly, has Hydroid unless they schill out money like I did. Because of BIG, FAT, STUPID ANTI-CONSUMER BULLS#&$ that will be elucidated upon in another post. My tolerance for not calling out bullS#&$, if you ever check my post history, is quite low.

Eh, hydroid is by and large an outlier. But yes, I hate RNG too. I prefer U14's time sinks by a long shot (That just struck a nerve somehow).

Back to the main point, I like the new UI except for the issues listed. It should be simpler. I wouldn't mind scrolling down if it meant one click takes me to mods, etc. Or even scrolling over the folder of utilities, like in the arsenal, would be a better idea. It's just too many clicks.

It's like picking through a train wreck, but the train was filled with orphans heading to Disney Land, and you're a first responder looking for survivors. Everywhere around you, bloody shreds of tiny bodies lie, but you HAVE to keep looking under every eyelid for a response. You don't want to, it's a tedious, repetitive process, it turns your stomach to think that the way it was before was so much better than it was now, but to get anything done you just have to do it. Even though it's eroding your soul.

Why does it take three clicks to renew my extractor drones? Why do I have 4 friggin' different menus to manage my mods, and why does my BIG, FAT, STUPID WARFRAME obscure an entire column of them? Anyone who's looked over their collection (why they'd do that, I have no idea, it's a menu that doesn't need to exist) in Rhino knows what I'm talking about.*

Why does it take up to SIX DIFFERENT ACTIONS TO NAVIGATE THE SOLAR SYSTEM? Think I'm exagerating? Thinking, "no one is that stupid, not even Apple!" Let's count. One, you press a key to open the nav menu; two, you click on a planet; three, if the location is obscured by the BIG, FAT, STUPID PLANET you right click to turn the wheel; four, you click on the location; five, you click on the 'accept' button in the upper left of the screen. And if you don't want to wait, or have intentionally set your ping really low so you can reliably host, SIX, you click on 'play now.' It used to be a three-left-click from navigation to hacking things to pieces. Now I'm pressing keys and using both mouse buttons. Never mind that the navigation function itself is a clusterfrag of confusing icons, borderless white text on a light grey background (The PT Cruiser of menu design.), and a non-existent sense of direction.

Who thought it a good idea to have to walk across a little room just to change your loadout? Because you can't do it between missions anymore. You have to waste moments of your life and everyone else's time to swap out a weapon, or a warframe now. I mean, having the ship is nice and everything, but it should be an optional part of weapon and warframe modification. "But you can use the diagetic menu to change-" NO! Shut up. No, you can't. Not as of 14.0.8. The menu is useless for quick swaps, and it still TAKES MORE CLICKS THAN THE OLD WAY.

In short, this post is a complaint about addition of frivolous window dressing that has added nothing to my experience, done at the cost of an all-important elegance. Fable 3 tried something even more clunky and intrusive than this, and it was a poorer game because of it. Warframe isn't as bad as Fable 3, as I JUST said, but it's still a damning indictment of the design decision to ape something that people knew didn't work, and then hoping it does work just because "it won't be as bad."

As a personal aside I worry that I complain too much, but Warframe is a changing product, so I shouldn't shut up whenever something I don't like happens to the game. Because, maybe, I can actually change things for the better, for everyone.

*Or Hydroid. But no one, mostly, has Hydroid unless they schill out money like I did. Because of BIG, FAT, STUPID ANTI-CONSUMER BULLS#&$ that will be elucidated upon in another post. My tolerance for not calling out bullS#&$, if you ever check my post history, is quite low.

Pointed and eloquent. Bravo.

Am I like the only one that doesn't have issues with the new UI?  I just opened up the menu clicked on arsenal and there I was in the arsenal then opened the menu again and there I was in navigation, no walking required,  While I can agree that there is a bit extra clicking in navigation, you make it sound like these clicks are shaving years off your life and really there is only more clicking if you don't know where you're going in the first place (you don't need to rotate the sectors to pick the mission).

While you don't need to "shut up" when you don't like changes in hopes that there will be changes for "the better", I'd suggest you post in a more constructive manner so that people of actual worth would be more inclined to believe you. Also "for everyone" is an absolute that you'd never obtain.

Am I like the only one that doesn't have issues with the new UI?  I just opened up the menu clicked on arsenal and there I was in the arsenal then opened the menu again and there I was in navigation, no walking required,  While I can agree that there is a bit extra clicking in navigation, you make it sound like these clicks are shaving years off your life and really there is only more clicking if you don't know where you're going in the first place (you don't need to rotate the sectors to pick the mission).

While you don't need to "shut up" when you don't like changes in hopes that there will be changes for "the better", I'd suggest you post in a more constructive manner so that people of actual worth would be more inclined to believe you. Also "for everyone" is an absolute that you'd never obtain.

Now while navigation try and change your loadout and see how many clicks it takes you. 

Actually even if you know where you are going it may need to rotate to actualy see where that is (there can be 3 nodes hidden behind that planet), that said where does it even go to from there?

They added the to new player experience only to take away alot of the more important new player information on the navigation side of things.

No it wont take years off your life, but it will chew up about double or more of your down time while playing (for most I've taked to its about 20% of their play time that used to be 10%).

Why does it take three clicks to renew my extractor drones? Why do I have 4 friggin' different menus to manage my mods, and why does my BIG, FAT, STUPID WARFRAME obscure an entire column of them?

Probably because they don't care about PC users anymore.  I doubt they make much money off platinum since trading was introduced.  They must have realized that most of their money will be coming from PS4 users now, so they're slowly thinning out the herd to add shiny new things for console users.

Probably because they don't care about PC users anymore.  I doubt they make much money off platinum since trading was introduced.  They must have realized that most of their money will be coming from PS4 users now, so they're slowly thinning out the herd to add shiny new things for console users.

CgF6Wmh.jpg

Yeah they totally just decided to stop caring about 3/4ths of their playerbase #logic

Uh, not sure what significance that has.  Considering this shows March 2013 - March 2014 and the PS4 was released in November 2013 (or February 2014 in Japan).  #logic

Oh, that was just the only graphic representation I could find. You can ignore the first half. In case you're not aware, we still make up around 75% of the playerbase, and a similar amount as far as money spent. 

Edit: I suppose it's possible DE has decided to abandon their main source of income...but like come on, my 10 year old brother has better business sense than that

Edited by vaugahn

You clearly don't have any clue, and I'm not sure why you would think that.  

Anyways, I'm not gonna sit here and argue with you.  Unless you provide some factual evidence, I will assume I'm right and have nothing more to say on the matter.

Sadly, that's not how this thing works. You made a statement (ps4 players are the main source of income) so the burden of proof here is on you. I'm just struggling to see how a 1/4th of the playerbase could outspend the other 3/4ths...

Sadly, that's not how this thing works. You made a statement (ps4 players are the main source of income) so the burden of proof here is on you. I'm just struggling to see how a 1/4th of the playerbase could outspend the other 3/4ths...

Because the PC users likely have platinum and are less likely to buy more. :?

Edited by Loswaith

What's funny is the entire post complains about wasting time, but the fact remains that you are just having fun in warframe, it is not "benefiting you" or helping you progress in real life which is where you need to be most concerned about the concept of "time" So in that case, you might as well quit because if you're that concerned about a few seconds of menu time, then the entire game is most likely a waste of your time.

Edited by ImortalTJones

What's funny is the entire post complains about wasting time, but the fact remains that you are just having fun in warframe, it is not "benefiting you" or helping you progress in real life which is where you need to be most concerned about the concept of "time" So in that case, you might as well quit because if you're that concerned about a few seconds of menu time, then the entire game is most likely a waste of your time.

What's funny is that you didn't read the entire post before making your pronouncements upon it. Read, comprehend, then contribute.The post isn't about wasting time, it's about the failure of the design in the UI to be as elegant as the previous system, and my pointing that out using everyday interactions with the new UI system as opposed to the old one. As for your you're-wasting-your-real-life-just-quit-hur-dur-I-suck-my-penis argument, it makes you sound like you suck you're own penis.

Go on. Ask me how. I promise it isn't as vulgar as you think; it'll be amusing for at least one of us. Here's a hint: read my entire OP.

Edited by PaxEthenica