Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Mini-Boss Concept] The Magistrate - Robotic Protectors Of The Orokin (Sketch Included)

Krion112

The Magistrate

Designated Last Line of Defense

A quick sketch for the unit itself:

IC5NQVV.jpg

Faction - Orokin / Corrupt

Type - Robotic Mini-Boss

Once the proud vanguard of the Orokin Protectorate forces, Magistrates stomped out resistance using their unconventional powers and great military strength. Later replaced by the Guardians and Tenno up until the Betrayal, they have since been reassigned to defend Orokin Towers. Under the control of the Neural Sentries, the Magistrates now guard the vacant tombs of the Orokin's last presence in the galaxy.

Inspiration

I had the idea for this when I encountered a bug a few days ago, when the portrait of an Excalibur would appear after completing the objective to an Orokin Tower Capture. It felt like this should be the introduction to a new type of 'stalker/assassin' mini-boss. Plus, even with all these Corrupt units to guard them, these tombs of the Orokin we're raiding don't offer much in threat, so perhaps we should be given a final challenge to truly earn what we get in the Void. Sort of an Indian Jones Giant Rock Escape thing.

Function

The Magistrates are intended to be a Stalker-esque mini boss that appears during the end of a Void mission. They do not arrive by means of marks, and do not appear outside of void missions.

For attack, the Magistrate have three means of combat outside of their powers: their sword, a model called "Arondight", a prime primary weapon, such as Boltor, Boar, Braton or Latron primes, and freeze beams attached to each of their four arms.

The Arondight has base cold damage and a high proc chance. Getting in close in the Arondight without being mobile is not advised, as you can easily get frozen and the inherent high slash and impact damage will shred your warframe apart.

The Prime weapon that a Magistrate carries will have normal stat boosts for rank, but it will also be treated as though it has a cold damage mod; a certain amount of its base damage will have additional cold damage. Magistrates are also very good aims, making marksman oriented ones very dangerous.

Finally, each limb of the Magistrate ends at a hand with a small projector. These projectors can fire a Glaxion-like beam that can shred shields and freeze targets. They may attempt to use it while reloading or when they're not carrying a ranged Prime weapon.

For abilities, the Magistrates have a few:

First, Magistrates can project all of their shields in one direction, creating an entirely impenetrable energy wall. Though it covers a great area, any flanking will put it at great danger of taking vital damage. They cannot move while using it, but if they see an attempt to flank, they will deactivate it and restore their normal shields to continue fighting.

Next, Magistrates can cloak, and will often use this to take cover or hide away when their shields are down to regenerate. Close Range oriented Magistrates will use it to get close.

More on the offense, Magistrates can use a Slash-Dash-like attack to get in close and deal massive, devastating damage to Tenno caught in their wake.

Finally, when near death, a Magistrate will release a massive wave attack of intense cold damage and high proc. This can wipe an entire Cell if not avoided carefully. Finishing the Magistrate off before it can use this ability is usually the best counter due to the charge up time it has before unleashing the wave.

As well, Magistrates occasionally are equipped with gravity thrusters, allowing them to levitate or traverse the battlefield quickly like a Hellion. If Archwing mission types are in the void, Magistrates deployed would always have these gravity thrusters, being similar to the Tenno Archwings.

Edited by Krion112

This sounds pretty cool, and I very much agree that we need more enemies in the Void. The art is excellent, and the abilities and lore work quite well. On the off chance that DE implemented a Void Assassination, how would this factor into that?

Whenever someone brings up Void Assassinations, it always makes me feel like we'd be killing the Neural Sentry. If that's the train of thought, then the Vanguards would be present for its defense, sort of like current tag-team boss fights like Alad V and Zanuka or Lech Kril and Vor.

If it'd be something else, like a corrupt form of a current boss, then I'd say the Vanguard would be unnecessary to appear; giving a player a mini-boss encounter immediately after a full boss seems kind of tiring.

Now that I think about it, though, the name Vanguard doesn't really fit, as they're supposed to be the last line of defense, and the vanguard of an army is the aggressor, the first group to attack. Consider changing the name to something more fitting.

They were more named after their lore, which was as first line of offense, rather than their current purpose. However, if you do have a suggestion, feel free to bring it to my attention. I will give it some thought, as well.

Originally I wanted to call them "Mannequins" for their human yet inhuman form and that they are a 'figure' or 'model' of sorts, but it didn't really fit.

Right quick, what would you say to the title of "Tower-Keeper"?

Edited by Krion112

I wouldn't say no to it, but I would be more aligned with naming them Ancile (plural also Ancile), which was Ares' shield in Greek mythology. Offensive enough to suit the god of war, yet a defensive shield. It seems like it kinda seems to fit with their powerful, guardian-esque nature. In terms of the sword, I would call it Arondight, maybe make it attainable to the Tenno. (Arondight was Lancelot's sword)

Edited by NeverEatTheLemonsAlone

I wouldn't say no to it, but I would be more aligned with naming them Ancile (plural also Ancile), which was Ares' shield in Greek mythology. Offensive enough to suit the god of war, yet a defensive shield. It seems like it kinda seems to fit with their powerful, guardian-esque nature. In terms of the sword, I would call it Arondight, maybe make it attainable to the Tenno. (Arondight was Lancelot's sword)

As much as that name makes sense, and I like it, I don't know really how fitting it is to the machine itself. I'll continue to give it some thought. Thanks for the feedback!

And I like the name for the sword, I think I'll use that.

Edited by Krion112

Alright, I decided to take your advice and rename them to "The Ancile". Hopefully, it's a bit more fitting that way.

I like both idea and art. It would make perfect sense to have guardians in the Towers.

Thanks.

Any more ideas or suggestions?