Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Upcoming Color Customization Fix (Planned For Hotfix 14.0.9)

[DE]Steve

UPDATE ON LEGACY CONFIG OPTION: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/273383-upcoming-color-customization-fix-planned-for-hotfix-1409/page-26?p=3219480#entry3219480

My Colorful Tenno,

Today we’ll be releasing a small fix to a long-standing bug with our color customization code. If you’re a fan of color customization (like me) you’ll definitely notice richer colors, deeper blacks and a wider gamut. Before this change, rarely would the picker swatch match up with the item as you customized, this fix corrects that. Seeing how washed out the Kubrow colors with the broken color conversion was depressing the artists as well. Overall this is a nice quality and contrast improvement.

Of course there is a downside. It’s different. You may have gotten used to being washed out. Please accept my apologies! When we agonized over the before and after of Warframes and Kubrows, we felt this change was justified and that most palettes still offered saturation choices if people wanted to use them. What you see in the picker is what you get on your item now and that correctness seems best for the future.

Thank you for your understanding and patience. After the hotfix we will be inboxing a new “Gamma” color pack of de-saturated colors as a gift for transitioning to this corrected color code.

Now back to getting the Hotfix out – lots of issues addressed with matching, Dark Sectors, UI... (insert coffee here).

-Steve

PS: If you’re interested in the technical side: Colors you see are in a format called “sRGB” which increases precision of dark colors, important when working in 8 bit (your monitor). Our shaders operate internally at a higher precision using "Linear” color. We (ok, it was me) missed the required conversion of the picker's SRGB value to the “Linear” value the material shaders require.

BROKEN: UYQ3a3P.jpg
FIXED: cVnTsxF.jpg

UPDATE: Wanted to show Kubrows fur contrast is radically improved with this fix which is a great relief to our artists. Here is a comparison from "all variants are washed out" to fix code on the right.

LEFT: BROKEN/WASHED OUT    RIGHT: FIXED/ARTIST INTENT
VkyAtt2.jpg

Thank you!

Just wondering though: does that affect certain weapons which have an "overlay" on them? Prime weapons come to mind in terms of "lighter" overlay, but even the regular Braton has a darker overlay on it. Will all of these be fixed along?

So I guess I'll be using the Gamma pack because I'm fairly certain my colors will look way too saturated after this. But this is great. Any chance a reset of the melee channeling effect will come with this hotfix, you know, removing that milky appearance?

Edited by AntoineFlemming

Will this come to PS4 as well?

Edit: nevermind, the answered appeared as I was typing. :)

Now I'm awesomely scared to see what my mild cotton-candy-pink color scheme will look like! (paaaaaaaaaank!!!)

Edited by (PS4)Folkeye

Awesome!!!

Just an offtopic question: When will Trinity's new ability icons be released in-game? The official website uses the new ones since U10, because that's when you said she got her new icons, but they couldn't reach the game yet.

Edited by at35z

Uhm uh you're PS4 we're peasants. For now...

I also play on PC bud!  I'm Omnipresent!!!!  :-) Luv this game to death, I might even buy an Xbox one and play it on there too.... :-)  Nah I'm kidding, but yeah.. I knew this would probably come to Ps4 sooner or later regardless! :-)

Thank you!

Just wondering though: does that affect certain weapons which have an "overlay" on them? Prime weapons come to mind in terms of "lighter" overlay, but even the regular Braton has a darker overlay on it. Will all of these be fixed along?

I'm thinking this is the reason he had the Dera equipped. Here's an all-white Dera:

maxyTSr.png

You'll notice that some parts are several shades darker despite using the same shade of white. I'm not too sure, but I think addressing issues like this is what this change is about..?