Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Extremely Apologetic Kubrow Thread

Clawbo

There isn't much I can add to the thread at this juncture, but I'll say this:

I'm shocked - SHOCKED - that our only option for permanently freeing up a Kubrow slot is "starving" them to death.

Pay up, or watch this digital creature waste away. As a lifelong pet owner and general animal lover, this is completely unsupportable. I'd really love to make an impassioned argument, but frankly I don't think one is even necessary.

We're meant to make an emotional investment in these creatures. We can watch them hatch from eggs, listen to their energetic puppy noises and watch them jump around. A lot of care went into making Kubrows that we can suspend disbelief to invest in.

Once that job is accomplished, DE is asking us to fork over our cash or starve an animal to death. What kind of request would that equate to in the real world?

It upsets me beyond the bounds of rational, courteous discourse, and I think it should.

I've buried four dogs in my lifetime. One was my self-appointed protector from my birth until his passing. Two were sisters; one passed of old age and the other couldn't keep going without her litter-mate.

The fourth was just months ago. He followed me every afternoon from the back door to the garden gate, and ran a full lap of the garden every time that gate swung shut behind me. In his last days, he could only walk that lap, but he pushed his body on with all the effort his eager spirit could supply. He rests now, underneath the honeysuckle patch he helped water for fifteen years.

Now, DE has given me the option to pay up or watch my Kubrow starve and die like an unloved and unwanted child. It disgusts me. It disgusts me because the illusion works, and that is about as abusive as game mechanics can get.

Please think about that, DE. For your own good and for your community.

I'm pretty sure DE mentioned in multiple livestreams plans for players to be able to release Kubrows. Unless they've since publicly changed their minds, I'd assume that that aspect of Kubrows is simply still under construction (Coming Soon™), and the delay is down to them prioritizing stability and making Kubrows actually function properly in the first place (e.g., fixing the perma-death bug that was present on release, trying to diagnose and fix the cause of the stasis slot bug, etc.).

One thing to remember is that in a developer like DE, the changes brought about by hotfixes are not necessarily coded/produced by the same people—the color change, general stability fixes, and Dark Sector Conflict changes in 14.0.9, for example, were not necessarily done by the same people whom will be responsible for the Kubrow release option, and therefore do not necessarily constitute additional  wait time for the promised feature.

Edited by DZ1JMeyer

I have well over 500 hours in game, closer to 1000.  I'm sitting on 2mil credits.  My Kubrow dies within a minute the first time I took him out, in mercury.  I'm not going to waste time chasing after the 100,000 credits necessary to keep him alive.  It's just not fun for me to be locked into a perpetual credit treadmill, limiting my choices.  I start every Warframe session looking to have fun, wondering what location has the fun I'm looking for, and some useful stuff.  I don't want this game to become, for me, all about Sechura or where ever The One True Credit Source just happens to be.  So, I'm putting my Kubrow in stasis indefinitely and moving on to having fun.

Right on, man. I've got mine locked in stasis also! +1

I'm pretty sure DE mentioned in multiple livestreams plans for players to be able to release Kubrows. Unless they've since publicly changed their minds, I'd assume that that aspect of Kubrows is simply still under construction (Coming Soon™), and the delay is down to them prioritizing stability and making Kubrows actually function properly in the first place (e.g., fixing the perma-death bug that was present on release, trying to diagnose and fix the cause of the stasis slot bug, etc.).

One thing to remember is that in a developer like DE, the changes brought about by hotfixes are not necessarily coded/produced by the same people—the color change, general stability fixes, and Dark Sector Conflict changes in 14.0.9, for example, were not necessarily done by the same people whom will be responsible for the Kubrow release option, and therefore do not necessarily constitute additional  wait time for the promised feature.

I did hear about the planned addition of "releasing" Kubrows. I just have a hard time understanding why they were willing to compromise on something like that in the first place.

I feel like we're meant to assume that it was considered "acceptable" to release U14 without a "release' feature, and that's what I find most confusing.

Just a wild suggestion, if everyone is so focused on this credit sink and on the other hand "you need effort to get a kubrow" stuff...

Why don't we have a scaling price following the player's mastery rank ?

Rank 1 would buy the DNA stabilizer for say 10k, rank 2 would need to give out 20k for it, rank 10 would need to give out 100k for it, and so on and so on ?

Makes it more accessible to new players and still become a credit sink for vets.  

Just a wild suggestion, if everyone is so focused on this credit sink and on the other hand "you need effort to get a kubrow" stuff...

Why don't we have a scaling price following the player's mastery rank ?

Rank 1 would buy the DNA stabilizer for say 10k, rank 2 would need to give out 20k for it, rank 10 would need to give out 100k for it, and so on and so on ?

Makes it more accessible to new players and still become a credit sink for vets.  

That just punishes players for progressing through the mastery ranks.

I agree with your over all points and as a veteran player (mastery 11, over 1.5 years of playing) i still think the system is a wreck. The loyalty penalizes the player for not being able to keep a low level creature alive (3 second bleed out) and then further penalizes you by forcing you to detox every day. To add problems your Kubrow can only detox 1 time a day and that detox only replaces 40% of the bar (if you are -20 you will be +20 after detox). I understand why there would need to be detox but i don't see the reason for it every day or at least allow for multiple detox in a single day. it takes 3 days to bring a Kubrow from +20 to +100. Loyalty is acceptable and even the quest but the detox upkeep is just crippling. My Kubrow is in stasis and will probably remain there because i wont wait the 3 hrs to relive it of it's hibernation sickness and then detox it when the day timer rolls over (i play predominately at night). I think they are cool but untill they are just as... user friendly as a sentinel i don't think they are worth the effort for me.