July 25Th: Community Hot Topics!

[DE]Drew

Community Hot Topics July 25th  

2,103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What is your opinion on damage that bypasses shields?

The damage that bypasses shields should have the tick rate of damage reduced "how often the damage afflicts your health" and be based on critical hits. The critical hits refresh the duration and the damage is calculated off the critical hit.  I'm not fond of status chance being the deciding factor, I would prefer more direct control of being able to build for a weapon that does bleed, toxic etc. 

Do you think damage should be able to bypass shields in PvP?

As stated above, the damage that bypasses shields should have the tick rate of damage reduced "how often the damage afflicts your health" and be based on critical hits. The critical hits refresh the duration and the damage is calculated off the critical hit. Ex: 25% of the critical is applied as "DoT" damage over time. 

Edited by Mythblaze

What’s your opinion on the new UI?

The general direction is good, but it needs work;

• A lot of (All of?) the modal dialogs still use the old style, and should be updated to the new style.
  • It would be nice to get an option for Mod Size (or Mods Per Row) in the mod menus.
  • Perhaps it might be an idea to allow for a list display, as well as the grid display in the mod menus. 
  • Shift-Clicking a mod in the Fusion menu should behave the same way as clicking a stack of mods and then clicking "Select All".
  • I'd like to see how many squads are in a mission when I select it, just like the old UI.
  • Planets should show their resources when they are hovered in the root Navigation UI.
  • It would be nice for chat input input to support Ctrl-A (Select All). I often use this in combination with backspace in... Basically every other chat service as a quick "delete everything". Perhaps just Shift-Backspace?
Edited by Hipolipolopigus

As a Mag, I mainly depend on shields. So I think shields need a buff, and not just for me, but also to make the Corpus a more challenging enemy. They seem quite...weak compared to the Grineer. Shields should remain affected by all damage normally, but inreceptive to fire procs, and be more resistent to both fire and slash damage. Toxin dmg is good as it is. We should be able to 'drink' antitoxin bottles to negate the effect of toxins, essentially creating an effect where the toxin is being neutralized by the antitoxin. The stronger the antitoxin is, the longer it protects from toxin damage. Just gives another use to antitoxin bottles. Also posting it in the appropriate section.

What's your opinion on the new UI?

I am personally, really liking the new UI. But there are a few issues that need to be addressed for it to be really amazing.

For one, maybe back the camera up a bit when walking around, it makes it seem really cramped otherwise. A few other things kinda get on my nerves about it, like the fact that half of your menus are obscured by your Warframe. I was trying to figure out how many health packs I had made but I couldn't see it in the foundry because the warframe was blocking a quarter of the foundry menu. So best way to fix that is shrink down the foundry menu a bit~

Those are really my only two big issues with it, is mostly that everything is either too big or it makes stuff look cramped. Another small thing that me and my friends have found, is that there's no way to jump straight to your inbox or specific places, you have to go through multiple menus, so a bit of streamlining would be good.

They already mentioned that the starchart will be updated more cause it's hard to navigate, names always being there would be nice so I know what planet is what, they're already spaced enough that none of them would really be overlapping any other.

Otherwise I love the new UI~

In regards to Ordis' chatty demeanor; I really don't mind hearing him talk, as it can get lonely in the UI screen sometimes. However I feel that there should be more lines; and more variance in lines; similar to how the Lotus voice overs function (i.e. While people do make fun of "It's the Grineer" ; she does have other lines declaring the Grineer platoon's arrival). Also, I do think some alternate voices to hear in the ship aside from Ordis would be appreciated as well; mayhaps the individual modules aboard the ship have their own small simple AI that Ordis can interact with occasionally? Just throwing out a thought here.

Also I feel like noting; I seem to be in the minority when it comes to shield bypass damage. To me; I feel like those enemies are a greater challenge. Most non-insane levels of enemies (Very high 30+ wave defense or long survivals) don't knock down your shields too often unless you are entirely overwhelmed. I feel shield bypass damage would be an answer to this, as it keeps you more on your toes, and gives more of a need to search for health across the map; although I do feel if more bypass damage was added in, health orbs should be more common, as not many of them spawn unless you're using a frame that specifically spawns them (Nekros, Oberon).

All in all though; I appreciate this thread, as it's quite nice to be able to give direct feedback to you guys and help you make this fantastic game better.

Cheers

EDIT: In further regards to the damage bypass; I feel moreso the problem lies within not so much the fact the damage bypasses the shields; but in the fact that there are so few ways to regain health. Health orbs, as mentioned before are very rare and only occasionally found from crates and other objects; or spawn when a frame uses certain abilities. On top of that; the orbs ONLY restore a set amount of health; 25. This is fine for some frames, but for other frames this is incredibly lacking. Perhaps changing it to a percentage that varies according to Warframe Health would do the trick?

Also in other ways to restore health; while Rejuvenation is a good way to restore some health for lighter frames; it takes awhile for Sayrn to regenerate her 1000+ health with the aura; while it doesn't taker her shields that long to regenerate. Said Aura also isn't guaranteed within the mission; and neither are healer frames. Team Restores take resources to build and are clunky to use; a health restore takes repeated scans of flowers and cones within a certain tileset, and over a period of time; and the Life Strike mod has heavy setbacks and is hard to obtain, even for more experienced players.

I want to say, I'm not against the fact of making health a rarer resource. But if you want to add damage bypass, which I am 100% for, people need an easier way to bounce back from the effects.

Edited by DoctorMagnus

I wonder how the hell is it that the Kubrow grind that makes them bloody useless compared to the Sentinels not brought up? Loyalty and Integrity systems are absolutely terrible and shouldn't even be there, it is simply a useless annoying money sink, making the stupid dog not worth taking out stasis. I never did like the idea, but if you spent so much time adding the dog, you could at least try to make it worth our while to use it.

Also Ordis is good, but I think it is suffering from a lack of lines. I always said Warframe lacks humour, for a game that is so silly as far as gameplay is concerned, and Ordis really does spice things up. But if players are being annoyed, I hope you do understand that it is not because it speaks, but because it says the same things all the time. "Operator, are you enjoying the VIEW?!"

Damage that bypasses shields is annoying especially now. You have successfully broken Infested faction by not adjusting Aincient spawns to accommodate their buffs, resulting a spamfest of inter-buffing Ancients and every enemy able to drain you, then go through shields and kill you all the while getting healed. Anything that the players have no control over is annoying and not challenging. Noone in their right mind would say Warframe requires skill to play, that's because players have no control, it's all about the %%%%%%%.

The best we can do as far as skill goes is roll at the right time to avoid knockback. Other than that it's just pump out more DPS than the enemy before you die. Warframe wins out against MMORPGS by having a lot of ways to pump out that DPS, but the meta is still in that and not in skillful play or teamwork. This is no Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect 3 Coop or Killing Floor. When something can just randomly break though that meta, like poison and bleed, and kill you, without you being able to prevent it, it is, of course, just annoying.

It would be akin to the Hunter in Left 4 Dead to be able to leave a bleed proc after every pounce based on an RNG chance. Spam a survivor enough and if you are lucky you'll down them without the need to stay on them or have team coordination. Now how do you think the players would react to that?

Edited by Megakoresh

They are not an issue.

Kubrows are just not starter items.

Late game getting that cash is no problem.

People just dont want to spend the time, which they would normally spend anyway, getting money specifically for that.

Stabilizers are fine from what i see, problem is the whole not being able to change kubrows without qaiting 3 hours thing, that and the fact that customization was locked behind rng, fix these two things along woth scavenge ability and it will be perfect for the time being!

I think everyone has hit the nail on the head with their responses.

Damage bypass = fine, remove ability to kill tenno (stop hp at 5 like survival missions when air runs out)

Ordis = less frequent outbursts with more varied dialogue

Silva Aegis = Less stamina + damage buff (Looks epic, it should feel epic)

New UI = Flashy, more cumbersome, makes doing some simple tasks unbearable (ranking up mods, sorting through mods, foundry)

EDIT: I wish my Orids were more like Gir. "I'm gonna sing the doom song now..."

Edited by Austerity

Some great ideas in this thread so far. I dropped the ball (haha, dog joke) by not including some kubrow threads, but there seems to be a pretty strong consensus that the DNA stabilizers are an issue. 

The problem with DNA stabilizers is that they are obligatory to use, do it or your dog dies.

People prefer choices and doesn't like to do what they are told, therefore they complain.

So, the choice should/could be to use DNA stabilizers only for the bonus health, and if you don't, it only means that when it reaches 0% it is exactly that... the kubrow doesn't have any bonus to his health, but he doesn't die.

Also helps with an issue that is quite common on many threads, the feeling of having a terminal dog who is slowly dying... some people can relate that to personal experiences, that's not cool...

MK1 Weapons - MOAR Mastery Points!

Shield Bypassing Damage - Hate it. Makes any frame that has under 1 million unmodded base HP redundant.

Ordis - I love Ordis, hes so ironic in that a silent honorable space ninja would have crude, foul-mouthed ship AI. He talks enough as he is, but he needs more varied lines.

Silva and Aegis - Not worth it at all in it's current incarnation. Its morbidly overpriced considering its stats. I have heard the Silva and Aegis be compared to Skana. If that isn't a cry for help, I don't know what is. Even on an aesthetic basis, I think its a bit ~meh. Im waiting for the Tonfa myself. Hopefully it will be less lackluster in the stats department.

UI - Its ok, just I dislike the fact the Tenno stands in front of certain screens - Particularly the foundry. He obscures the left side of it, meaning I struggle to see the left side of the list. Who knows what im crafting on the left side of my foundry, because I sure as hell don't.

Poll - Pie, chicken preferably.

Because it's not like the Kubrow quest comes from the Venus boss or takes you no further than Jupiter, right? Right?

The starting point has nothing to do with the end.

Quests that span many levels is a standard thing in RPGs, this is something like that.

What is your opinion on damage that bypasses shields?

It should never cause you to die solely because you got unlucky, but right now it does that a lot. It is also not just a matter of balancing how high or low the damage is. If you get unlucky enough to get knocked down inside a poison cloud with a Nova, chances are you're going down even if the poison damage is not that high. On the other hand, if you're fighting against a single grineer then the bleed damage won't really bother you even if it takes 25% of your health.

Warframe is too random. The mods you're using, the ranks, the warframe you pick, the number of people playing that mission with you, the amount of enemies you're fighting against at that moment, whether you got knocked or not... all these things relate to bypass damage at some level. The problem is that I simply don't think it is possible to take all that into account, so I also don't think it is possible to balance bypass damage at all.

How do you feel about Ordis’ chatty demeanor?

We have a lot of villains that spam our in-boxes and communicate with us, but very few allies (mostly Lotus and Darvo). So Ordis is a nice addition. I don't mind him being chatty as long as he is not repeating the same line every minute or so.

What’s your opinion on the new UI?

I like everything except for three things: navigation (detailed below), small windows (lots of unused space on high resolutions), and the upgrade screen (mod names over there are small and really hard to read).

I don't like the navigation because it diminishes our spectacular, colorful and diverse solar system into a ring of marble balls and big buttons. It's still pretty, but it doesn't feel like space anymore, so what's the point? If we're aiming for simplicity then I suggest using the old star chart instead. Something practical with names, icons, lines, quadrants, and a lot less "spinning around to be able to click that mission hiding behind the planet". I also really miss being able to quickly tell if there's someone doing a mission just by hovering the mouse cursor over the planet/area.

I voted other twice

Ahh shield bypass, how I love to use you against Corpus yet how I hate to have it be used against me. I think that if we can have it our enemies can have it too. but the only problem is that poison mods or weapons only turn up in the mid to late game, therefore enemies using poison damage should be rare until the mid game and be uncommon in the late game as they are usually anyways. As far as I can tell slash || Poison procs are coded to affect both sides as often as their gun's status chance allows, the problem with these procs is that because our enemies die so fast our procs become meaningless and in the same breath their procs are usually the only thing that they do to affect our behavior beyond being a target.

on the silva and aegis making the blocking cost less and giving both stances a block + attack a knockdown/back shield bash for low damage but automatic cc would fix the weapon because shields are about defense so giving players effective options to defend while using the shield would give the weapon it's unique playstyle

"How do you feel about the MK-1 weapons being added to the market?"

I want more mastery, not because it's good or useful, but because I'm borderline OCD and a bit of an idiot.

Considering the regular versions of the tutorial weapons are not very good (they are fine weapons, but not all that special), I'm not sure creating the "noob set" was the best decision when just the regular versions could have been used.

"What is your opinion on damage that bypasses shields?"

The other day I did a quick Mercury run to level a weapon.

After leaving the spawn room I met my first enemy, a lvl 6 Ballista.

Before I had even noticed her (was hiding behind a corner just out of sight), she fired of a single shot that not only managed to hit, but also inflicted a bleed proc. I had a rank30 'frame and a max redirection equipped, but it made no difference. Over the next six seconds I bled to death without ever my dropping my shields.

I was both amazed and amused.

But in all seriousness, I don't have a problem with damage bypassing shields. My problem is the way that damage scales, and that after one proc expires, an enemy can immediatly inflict it again.

My suggestions are to:

- add a cap to DOT inflicted on players (player HP only goes so high)

- add an temporary immunity to a proc after it expires

- bleed and toxin damage can't lower your HP below a certain threshold

"Do you think damage should be able to bypass shields in PvP?"

Mechanics should remain as consistent as possible across all game modes, see previous question.

"How do you feel about Ordis's chatty demeanor"

I don't mind, but having a mute button would not be unwelcome.

"What's your opinion on the current state of Silva and Aegis?"

Shields in videogames are almost invariably named Aegis or Vanguad.

As a weapon... it's alright...

Nothing special or noteworthy about it. But I think, because of the shield it should do something different when it comes to blocking (like the aforementioned lower stamina drain when blocking).

"What's your opinion of the new UI?"

Old one was much faster and responsive, no question about it. But I also like the new UI because I can jump around like an idiot inside my ship and try to glitch through it when im waiting to form a Void squad with my clan.

Speaking of glitching, in the lower deck, if you jump from a slide and time it right, you can "glue" yourself to the ceiling.

You will remain in the jumping animaton and hover a meter above the floor, any movement (crouching) breaks the glitch and you land.

Now for some useful feedback:

Too much clicking. Especially for the mod collection interface. Old system of a single menu where select you mods and actions (selling, fusing, transmuting) was much better. Now browsing the collection, fusing, selling and transmuting are all done through their own seperate menu and its pointlessly convoluted.

The interface moving around with my cursor takes much more getting used to than it should.

Text being at an angle causes problems and doesn't solve any.

"Trying to fix this poll. Cake or Pie?"

Pie. Better with milk.

"Poll seems to be broken again. Star Wars or Star Trek?"

This is a topic I always found interesting, comparing the two settings when they have so little in common.

Yes, both have "Star" in the title, and both have spaceships, aliens and interstellar travel, but thematically they are so different.

To expand on that:

Star Trek is science-fiction, it's main theme is the advancement of technology, culture and how they affect eachother. Each episode of the series would explore some wierd technology and how it would influence our society and culture, from holodecks changing how we experinece entertainment, teleportation allowing people to instantly end effortlessly travel (with warious mishaps along the way), contact with alien cultures and even how would first contact look from the perspective of humans being the techonologically advanced ones.

Star Wars on the other hand is science-fantasy, and the original trilogy (Solo shot first you bastard) is a coming of age story framed in a setting of aliens and space ships, the setting just being background noise showing off special effects (before they were ruined with digital crap), the "science" setting could have been replaced with something similair to Tolkien's work and the story told would be nearly indentical.

Seriuosly, try it - rewrite Star Wars with a different setting, replace aliens with elves and dwarves, planets with cities, the Death Star with a floating castle that rains fireballs, the jedi are suddenly wizards with steel swords, and yet.. it's still a story of a young boy going on an adventure, of a dashing rogue getting the girl, and teddy bears defeating metal monsters with wooden logs.

The differences in themes is one of the reasons Star Trek films are difficult to pull off, a big blockbuster movie demands action and explosions, but Star Trek is not about that. A Star Trek movie that stays true to the source material would just be a regular series episode stretched to double length, they tried doing that with the first film. It was meh.

One of the best Star Trek films was Wrath of Khan, and even then it wasn't a "very good Star Trek movie" it was a "very good movie" because it abandoned some of trappings of the TV series and tried to be it's own thing, telling a personal story of friendship, loss, and revenge.

Pie, definitely pie.

^ Much feedback, so helpful.

Damage that bypassing shields is a nightmare, especially for melee players (like me) when fighting Infested. Or i'm just doing it wrong.
You know, i've been trying to do this today. Not so funny to be always staggered by runners in mid-combo, drained by ancients (both health and energy), overwhelmed by leapers. With Mutalist Osprey coming back... GG Infested, it was nice to meet you. Instead of melee-ing them, it's better to keep distance now.
But again, maybe i'm just doing it wrong.

- Ordis: He chats too much of the same (also the Non Ordis Chatter you can hear on the ship is equal to that).

Also it would be really nice if we could customize the amount of chatter - that would have everyone happy. Want more chatter? Tune Ordis up as much as possible. Too much chatter without any value? Turn Ordis off for standard chatter.

- UI: Most of the new visuals are nice. For me thats all of the things that are better.

The new star chart:

- is less visual appealing (connected stars are much better in my opinion)

- is less intuitive, has less information (occupying faction, number of persons running the mission, status of conflict missions => all those informations are less easy to find

- makes it harder to see or plan progression (Which Planet is connected to which other planet? Which Mission on a planet is connected with which other, so I can plan progression? That was really easy and intuitive with the old lines, now its just ugly and hard to see.

The Foundry;

- less intuitive to get a overview by screening through (two entries per line are harder to view than one)

Most menus:

- tilting makes my head hurt, and most of the time part of the menu is blocked by my own Warframe, so i have to tilt it around to see everything.

- resetting to the top, instead of to the point were I was, after an action makes it harder, and it takes longer to do all the actions I want.

New alert overview:

- that one is really nice, the fact i have to run to the front of the ship to see it is not that nice, but the overview and for my feeling easier accessed information I really like.

EDIT:

Cake:

- definitly cake. I WILL find it, no matter how long I have to search.

Edited by Deus_X_Machina

Mk-1 weapons - yes

Damage that bypasses shields - no. It makes little sense lore wise. Ex; The Orokin had technology far superior to what the Grineer and Corpus have currently. The Orokin created the Warframes to fight against the Sentinels which turned the Orokin's technology against them. It's safe to say that the Sentinels used the Orokin's weapons against the Tenno. The Tenno defeated the Sentinels. Now the Grineer and Corpus could create weapons that can penetrate the Warframes shields but it should be experimental tech and not widely available. Which means that a few units should have them.

Damage that bypasses shields in PVP - no. Again... Why? This isn't Battlefield or Call of Duty. It shouldn't take a few shots to bring a player down. I'm thinking something along the lines of Unreal Tournament. You don't die from a few shots in UT, unless someone shoots you point blank with the flak gun or rocket launcher. Or the redeemer...

Ordis? He should have more lines.

Silva & Aegis - less stamina more damage. Enough said.

New UI - Love it. Reminds me of Deadspace. If Deadspace used Windows 8...

Cake. With frosting...

Star Wars FTW. It was a hard choice. I actually love both... Why u do this to me?!

As for the kubros, Doesn't the incubator interface say that you can buy DNA Stabilizers or build them in the Foundry? Where's the blueprint? I believe that making the blueprint and using materials available on Earth (where the kubros are from) would make a lot of sense. The flowers from Earth could be used to create the stabilizers. Thus Earth would be the Pet Store for kubrows; get kubrow eggs, kubrow mods and mats for the stabilizers. It's like killing a flock of birds with a rocket launcher... (No birds were harmed during the writing of this opinion)

*I like Ordis. Alas, it's only a matter of time before I begin to predict his next sentence, or say it along with him, or that moment when you've heard all of his scripts. This could be combated with updates; conjecture.

*I don't know, cake or pie... hard to say; STAR WARS, but trek is alright. My turn: How much wood wood a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

*So the character model cuts out a small portion of the lower left screen. I have a wild an dangerous opinion of my own here. What if your character model's hand and wrist was shown instead of the mouse cursor, and instead of the player's head down in the lower left corner. This hand would move off the screen with an animation after if it had been idle for 2 seconds. The fingers would move to click and drag mods.

*The 3D, slightly slanted/tilted screens for upgrading and foundry looks nice but it's unpractical. I have an idea that goes a bit like this; when you move your mouse to the left, the left hand side of the page moves closer to the screen, and when you mouse over the right hand side, that then is brought closer to you. This is the opposite to what we have now, that makes viewing a certain area of the page much easier on the eyes.

Edited by Jamblls