Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Ship Gives (Literal) Headaches

HoopleDoople

As a longtime Warframe player who's been on break from the game for a few months, I decided to come back see what's new with Warframe. There's a lot of interesting and fun additions, but I was extremely displeased with the new ship that replaces the solar system main screen. It looks great and all... but it gives me headaches. Seriously, if I walk around for more than a few seconds I feel downright ill. The problem is how close the camera is and how rapidly everything moves as you turn. The last game I encountered this on was the first Borderlands, which made the mistake of using the same camera distance for console (where players tend to set far from the screen) and PC (where players are only a few feet away). For that game I used a mod to move the camera back and increase the field of view and was able to play just fine.

The problem with the ship is pretty obvious - it's so small that the camera has been moved visibly closer to the warframe. I did notice that using the esc menu is an alternate way to access things, but it's if anything worse. When you bring up the esc menu the game rapidly zooms and rotates to move the warframe out of the way.

My current strategy to make the game something approaching playable is to close my eyes while opening the esc menu and then work from there. It's not really an ideal solution and I'm not planning to play a game where I have to actively avoid making myself feel sick. I don't know if anyone else experiences this or the Warframe developers plan to address it, but here are three options to fix the problem:

1) Redesign the transition to the esc menu to be less jarring. Simplest would probably be to make the warframe invisible while the menu is active and remove any camera spin/movement.

2) Have an option to use an alternate interface instead of the ship. This could simply be the old solar system screen.

3) Make the ship a minimum of twice the size so that the camera can be at the same spot as in missions.

As a longtime Warframe player who's been on break from the game for a few months, I decided to come back see what's new with Warframe. There's a lot of interesting and fun additions, but I was extremely displeased with the new ship that replaces the solar system main screen. It looks great and all... but it gives me headaches. Seriously, if I walk around for more than a few seconds I feel downright ill. The problem is how close the camera is and how rapidly everything moves as you turn. The last game I encountered this on was the first Borderlands, which made the mistake of using the same camera distance for console (where players tend to set far from the screen) and PC (where players are only a few feet away). For that game I used a mod to move the camera back and increase the field of view and was able to play just fine.

The problem with the ship is pretty obvious - it's so small that the camera has been moved visibly closer to the warframe. I did notice that using the esc menu is an alternate way to access things, but it's if anything worse. When you bring up the esc menu the game rapidly zooms and rotates to move the warframe out of the way.

My current strategy to make the game something approaching playable is to close my eyes while opening the esc menu and then work from there. It's not really an ideal solution and I'm not planning to play a game where I have to actively avoid making myself feel sick. I don't know if anyone else experiences this or the Warframe developers plan to address it, but here are three options to fix the problem:

1) Redesign the transition to the esc menu to be less jarring. Simplest would probably be to make the warframe invisible while the menu is active and remove any camera spin/movement.

2) Have an option to use an alternate interface instead of the ship. This could simply be the old solar system screen.

3) Make the ship a minimum of twice the size so that the camera can be at the same spot as in missions.

Do you have some kind of condition? Not trying to be rude just asking.

It's called simulator sickness. Some people just have it. The low FoV seems to make it worse, though strangely I haven't noticed it here. Anyways, I recall one of the devs saying something about putting in an FoV slider, though I can't remember where.

You're not alone, OP. A lot of people are posting troubles with Simulation Sickness since the new UI hit, including myself. I always have a dull headache while playing warframe now. There's so many PoV changes, and the FoV is so tight it's enough to throw even seasoned gamers into illness. Try to avoid the armory as much as you can (yeah, I know, nearly impossible) or look away when clicking the upgrade screen. that 180° flip really does a number on your eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

im fine with the ship and its noice/noices

BUT: there was a possibillity promised to turn off this annoying radio beacon, its not there right now

im also pleased to be able to turn off otis, he dont tell me anything important and i really like it quiet and silent inbetween the missions

and please, let us sell or delete the kubrows which we dont want ... thx

would be great to get this possibillites in options :-)

I am exactly in the same boat as the OP, except the fact that Esc menu doesn't bother me. The field of view this low gives me headaches. They really need to increase the size of the ship so i don't feel like the walls are closing in on me or that some grinner locked me up in a freezer...

I changed my aspect ratio and it seemed to make the ship seem larger, and moved my frame out of the way when viewing menus. Cannot remember of the top of my head what I set it to, and I'm sure it is mostly perceptual but things seem far less cluttered. maybe try it on the different settings and see how that effects you.

Try playing another game an hour before Warframe and see how vast the experience is when you enter the ship. The reason I ask you to do this is that I hope you can pinpoint it either being the FoV or how close the camera is to the character model.

I've had issues with this in this game and has caused me problems with focusing and giving me a headache as well.

The character model is just too close to me and it makes it difficult to focus on the enemies.

My issue is both FoV limitation and the character model being too close.