Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is There Even 1 Gaming Company Doing What De Does?

davailetsgo

Again, if they don't release stuff for free, they go under. They're not releasing everything for free because they love us.

They do it so they don't have to shut warframe down. Oh, and what playstyle changes? It's still run from point a to b, kill/activate target(s), then run to point and leave. The new weapons are all reskins with slightly altered stats, with very few exceptions.

What is Mirage a Reskin of, what is silva and ageis a reskin of, what is the corpus freeze ray a reskin of, what is the Venka a reskin of, What are Kubrows a reskin of? I'll say this clean and simple, De does Nothing at the whim and command of their players; they created this company for one reason, you make a game they wanted to as they wanted to; they basically got to remake Dark Sector, which they got commanded to change it to it's bastardized form that it sits in.

Since then they honestly don't give a damn what anybody else things about them, they care about making the stuff they want to, and players get to play in their amusement park. They don't run the game to make money, they make money cause they run the game. It is their world that they graciously let us play in; and nobody fully realizes that if they just took the entire game off line, they would have enough money to last them years of solo content for just themselves.

Be happy they don't treat this game as a cash grab and leave it at that. They put the money they make directly into content which they give us access to, to make money for new content. They will build the game how they want it, and listen to the ideals of players, but demands are ignored. It be best if the entire community realized that.

Like I said, from what I've seen. ANd I'd rather being told something is coming "SOON" than never hearing about it until "Hey suprise, we've added a bunch of thigns that we're not going to tell you a THING about! LOLOLOLOL"

except that quite often they say "soon" and nothing happens. Or they talk about something and then never again (some examples https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlsyEla_uEOUdERwRURQYnA2cDRUZnVDTlUtOW4tV2c&usp=drive_web#gid=0)

What is Mirage a Reskin of

Again, I was talking about weapons not frames.

silva and ageis a reskin of

Literally every other melee weapon. Just because it looks different doesn't mean it works differently. Whats the difference between the silva and dakra prime?

Dakra prime kills things faster, and looks different.

what is the corpus freeze ray a reskin of, What are Kubrows a reskin of?

Again, I said

The new weapons are all reskins with slightly altered stats, with very few exceptions.

Some weapons are unique, but most if you make the stats the same, all work the exact same with different looks. Oh, and kubrows are more or less melee sentinels.

Since then they honestly don't give a damn what anybody else things about them, they care about making the stuff they want to, and players get to play in their amusement park. They don't run the game to make money, they make money cause they run the game. It is their world that they graciously let us play in; and nobody fully realizes that if they just took the entire game off line, they would have enough money to last them years of solo content for just themselves.

Again, no. If DE stops releasing stuff for "free" which causes people to buy plat, then they'd stop making money. Do you honestly think WF would survive as it is if it stopped getting updates?

Be happy they don't treat this game as a cash grab and leave it at that.

What, you wouldn't say Prime access (while making primes harder and harder to get), the genetic scrambler, or the massive RNG clusterfucks walls, or time wals (on every new clan tech item) they put things behind are cash grabs? Because they are, maybe not intentionally, but they get very close to the boundary between "pay to not wait", and "pay to skip".

they created this company for one reason, you make a game they wanted to as they wanted to; they basically got to remake Dark Sector, which they got commanded to change it to it's bastardized form that it sits in.

Fun fact, DE's Warframe team isn't in charge of the company. If they don't do what the higher ups want, they could be replaced/fired/whatever.

Edited by KvotheTheArcane1

Again, I was talking about weapons not frames.

Literally every other melee weapon. Just because it looks different doesn't mean it works differently. Whats the difference between the silva and dakra prime?

Dakra prime kills things faster, and looks different.

Again, I said

Some weapons are unique, but most if you make the stats the same, all work the exact same with different looks. Oh, and kubrows are more or less melee sentinels.

Again, no. If DE stops releasing stuff for "free" which causes people to buy plat, then they'd stop making money. Do you honestly think WF would survive as it is if it stopped getting updates?

What, you wouldn't say Prime access (while making primes harder and harder to get), the genetic scrambler, or the massive RNG clusterfucks walls, or time wals (on every new clan tech item) they put things behind are cash grabs? Because they are, maybe not intentionally, but they get very close to the boundary between "pay to not wait", and "pay to skip".

Fun fact, DE's Warframe team isn't in charge of the company. If they don't do what the higher ups want, they could be replaced/fired/whatever.

Incorrect, Weapons are still different, they pander to different peoples preferences, your view of it is one of those who only cares about Min/Max, so I pity you. This is a game where different weapons have a hidden stat, called Fun, and each one resonates with a different player, and thus a different playstyle.

Incorrect, RNG walls are not their to make people pay to skip them, they are to make you fee accomplished when you get something. If DE just gave everything to you with no work and no punishment would you feel like you have earned it? Would you love what you have gotten. To use an example from minecraft, you you could just find all the diamonds you need for diamond armor, or that home made entirely out of Gold of the first try digging below dirt and found nothing but what you wanted, would you appreciate what you have gotten? Would you actually feel awesome sleeping on your massively uncomfortable diamond bed while you gaze on at your world that has been digged neigh to oblivion? That's the point, but instead of making things too difficult, thus telling the casual to kindly go F*** off, because they aren't 'Gud' enough to get something they have a system that favors nobody more than the Persistent. Yes you can just buy the things, but thats more of a 'Alright don't want to put in the effort and accomplishment of earning that diamond armor, than the least you are going to do is pay out of pocket for it, to make it fair to all the other people you are flipping off by doing so.

And Yes the Devs have major say in what the company does. They purposefully crafted this company from the ground up so that higher ups CAN'T tell them to do things they don't want to. They where fed up when this happened with Dark Sector, what makes you think they would deal with it in their own Indy company?

Incorrect, RNG walls are not their to make people pay to skip them, they are to make you fee accomplished when you get something.  

Naivete is strong with this one.

Incorrect, Weapons are still different, they pander to different peoples preferences, your view of it is one of those who only cares about Min/Max, so I pity you. This is a game where different weapons have a hidden stat, called Fun, and each one resonates with a different player, and thus a different playstyle.

Incorrect, RNG walls are not their to make people pay to skip them, they are to make you fee accomplished when you get something. If DE just gave everything to you with no work and no punishment would you feel like you have earned it? Would you love what you have gotten. To use an example from minecraft, you you could just find all the diamonds you need for diamond armor, or that home made entirely out of Gold of the first try digging below dirt and found nothing but what you wanted, would you appreciate what you have gotten? Would you actually feel awesome sleeping on your massively uncomfortable diamond bed while you gaze on at your world that has been digged neigh to oblivion? That's the point, but instead of making things too difficult, thus telling the casual to kindly go F*** off, because they aren't 'Gud' enough to get something they have a system that favors nobody more than the Persistent. Yes you can just buy the things, but thats more of a 'Alright don't want to put in the effort and accomplishment of earning that diamond armor, than the least you are going to do is pay out of pocket for it, to make it fair to all the other people you are flipping off by doing so.

And Yes the Devs have major say in what the company does. They purposefully crafted this company from the ground up so that higher ups CAN'T tell them to do things they don't want to. They where fed up when this happened with Dark Sector, what makes you think they would deal with it in their own Indy company?

Very strong.

Every half decent F2P does this.. this is how they make money...

Really hard to get that concept huh?

But glad you are sooo happy that they care about you special little snowflake like no other dev in the world could care... *rolleyes*

Alright, last post to you.

Higher ups are higher ups for a reason. They get to make all the big decisions. Where are you getting "Devs have the major say"? Do you even have any proof of this? All you're going on is what you think it should be like. The higher ups haven't messed with the devs because they've been pulling money in. The dev team might not care about how much their game pulls in, but the higher ups/suits sure do.

Also, DE has been around since 1993, including Dark Sector. As far as I know, they didn't dissolve and remake DE so....

Check it yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Extremes

Also: I'm not saying DE is the worst, there are plenty worse than DE, but I have definitely seen them go downhill from U7. They're still a decent team, and I love their art (as in anim/art/sound) team's work. It's the "creative" team I have problems with, they don't seem to be trying to push what WF could be, they be seem content to dip their toes in the water of greatness.

By that, I mean they don't seem to try to implement interesting weapons often, or raising the skill cap beyond point and shoot (though they did do a little of this with ancients, blocking is more useful now).

To ComMods: TY for cleaning I guess.

Edited by KvotheTheArcane1
Cleaning.

If you're a grandpa then i'm half way in grave. Most independent game developers are quite active with their fixes and whatnot, especially if it's their first game. Well it's in their best interest keeping their player base happy. I'm still surprised how fast DE reacts to bugs and player feedback. 

If you look at the smaller developers, especially the ones trying to make honest funded MMO's, instead of cash grabs, this is what you'd see.

DeadFrontier used to be that way, but AdminPwn ultimately lost interest and moved on to another game which I don't think is coming along all that well.

Community was a cesspool though.

i play games since a kid (and now im 27.. yea grandpa i know)

Actually it's quite common now to be 27 and be a grandfather.

But, no, I don't think anyone does what DE does. Can't say Valve because their support is terrible, their programs suck and their games constantly have hackers on it.

Actually it's quite common now to be 27 and be a grandfather.

Don't they divide generations at like 25 because it's the average age to be birthing?

It sounds odd for a 27 year old to be a grandfather.

I mean, assume you would need a 10 year old daughter or son for grandchildren. (Disgusting, I know)

That would up it to like what, 37, 35 years of age?

Unless you're talking teen parents, which isn't that common.

DE is ok

points +

communication better than many

not afraid to reveal attempted attacks on their accounts system as has been recently shown, that alone gains them higher marks.

patchnotes are mostly complete.

seem to understand a lot of the ADD player types that constantly require new toys, so put out a few things at a rapid pace.

decent reactions to player feedback, but many dev's/publishers have been doing this lately, finally realizing that communicating with the player (customer) base is important.

points -

some ancient mechanics that were better left in the dark ages of gaming (mechanics that make player skill irrelevant) 

the host system one of the biggest negatives with the game

absolutely donkey stubborn refusal to remove or modify features that the community dislikes which when they do finally realize something needs to be done they tend to modify, modify and still keep the crap mechanic.

version checking or reintroducing bugs that were previously fixed

over a year in beta, or this seems more likely, game released in the late alpha state and only in the last few months has reached beta. understandable though, they needed it out and needed the money it could bring in.

annnd...PvP in a game designed for PvE, absolutely nothing balanced. however it seems they're going with map/zone rules to modify frame/weapon abilities in an attempt to equalize the experience.

DE's not the best, but not the worst, above average overall i'd reckon. but the flaws are real, and most seem to have to do with some of whom that make final decisions stubbornly refuse to accept what are obviously bad ideas are not to them. there is a very strong theme of ignoring the player base over bad mechanics that they happen to think are great.

who knows better? the customers or the dev's? sad fact of a lot of dev concerns though.  devs-'we know what's best' or 'they'll get used to it' problem is they do not know whats best at all times. players don't get used to a bad mechanic, they just eventually give up trying to get it changed, and you see that with new players that come in and a mechanic that was complained about suddenly shows up again in the forums.

and OP? at 27 you're still a newb :p

DE is ok

points +

communication better than many

not afraid to reveal attempted attacks on their accounts system as has been recently shown, that alone gains them higher marks.

patchnotes are mostly complete.

seem to understand a lot of the ADD player types that constantly require new toys, so put out a few things at a rapid pace.

decent reactions to player feedback, but many dev's/publishers have been doing this lately, finally realizing that communicating with the player (customer) base is important.

points -

some ancient mechanics that were better left in the dark ages of gaming (mechanics that make player skill irrelevant) 

the host system one of the biggest negatives with the game

absolutely donkey stubborn refusal to remove or modify features that the community dislikes which when they do finally realize something needs to be done they tend to modify, modify and still keep the crap mechanic.

version checking or reintroducing bugs that were previously fixed

over a year in beta, or this seems more likely, game released in the late alpha state and only in the last few months has reached beta. understandable though, they needed it out and needed the money it could bring in.

annnd...PvP in a game designed for PvE, absolutely nothing balanced. however it seems they're going with map/zone rules to modify frame/weapon abilities in an attempt to equalize the experience.

DE's not the best, but not the worst, above average overall i'd reckon. but the flaws are real, and most seem to have to do with some of whom that make final decisions stubbornly refuse to accept what are obviously bad ideas are not to them. there is a very strong theme of ignoring the player base over bad mechanics that they happen to think are great.

who knows better? the customers or the dev's? sad fact of a lot of dev concerns though.  devs-'we know what's best' or 'they'll get used to it' problem is they do not know whats best at all times. players don't get used to a bad mechanic, they just eventually give up trying to get it changed, and you see that with new players that come in and a mechanic that was complained about suddenly shows up again in the forums.

and OP? at 27 you're still a newb :p

Some of your points, such as hosting system, have to do more with the flaws of the game rather than flaws with the company. One of the biggest arguments for player hosting is that there would be more lag on company servers if anything.

Don't they divide generations at like 25 because it's the average age to be birthing?

It sounds odd for a 27 year old to be a grandfather.

I mean, assume you would need a 10 year old daughter or son for grandchildren. (Disgusting, I know)

That would up it to like what, 37, 35 years of age?

Unless you're talking teen parents, which isn't that common.

No idea but that's quite easily possible, I hear about it all the time, and younger; 27 year old grandparents with the 10 year old daughter/son as the parent of the grandchild.

Digital Extremes is one of a kind. The people there, is one hell of a kind... Havent seen many in the direct order of how DE does it, but I've seen later in the past year devs and kickstarter stuff tries to replicate a lot of the work DE has been doing so good with. Only problem for them, they dont have that unique status to them. The DE team and the rest, is one of a kind. One in a million. They are the ones. 

Every half decent F2P does this.. this is how they make money...

Really hard to get that concept huh?

But glad you are sooo happy that they care about you special little snowflake like no other dev in the world could care... *rolleyes*

This. Also marvel Heros