Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is There Even 1 Gaming Company Doing What De Does?

davailetsgo

http://playstarbound.com/

They often post a summary of the day on the front page.  Their system automatically submits a build to valve every single night for testers that opt in.  The devs are involved on the forums, reddit and their own live chat.  They have taken several mods and even user creations and added them straight into the game (with modders/creators consent of course).  They may not have a live stream every week but then again it is a much smaller team that is much earlier in their game development.

Dood GTFO with that Blizzard junk... lol

Been there:

Done that!

NUFF SAID. ;)

yeah but my comparison was the fact that kubrows look like their modelled off demon dogs from wow, a space marine is a bit of a stretch :D  unless rhino is their distant black sheep, 2nd cousins, brother in laws best friends tennis partner.

Of course there are. Not enough, but there are. Some who do it much better at that.

Carbine, creators of Wildstar, comes to mind. They have a publisher and a triple A budget but act more indie than most indie devs.

They well you every bit of what's going on with full transparency. On the minute info about patches and issues with the game if you follow them on social media. Always getting and responding to feedback from the community and not putting just putting stuff to the side. Being very self aware and self critical about things. Carbine is one point and they ooze the love the have for the game and the community. They even do 2 streams a week on minimum.

Honestly DE even falls behind the majority when it comes to some things.

Edited by SolidSp33d

Well, the usual suspects come to mind, and a few others :

Valve - always working in Valve time though

Re-Logic - Terraria's pretty active, and even word about Terraria 2's been floating around.

Cloud Imperium Games - Star Citizen, man do those guys do tons of community content, even though dev's still sluggish due to the game being in early alpha / design stage

Space engineer's dev - Regular updates, not much for community content but there's always updates adding new fancy stuff.

Oh, yeah. Starbound as well.

Edited by Skyrazer

and with that i mean: constant updates/hotfixes/interaction with players?

i play games since a kid (and now im 27.. yea grandpa i know)

and i never saw a gaming developer doing this things at such a high rate

sure bad choices/mistakes happen. but that happens to everyone. i strictly talk about updates/interaction with players and stuff.

GOOD @(*()$ JOB DE

(before u cry. no im not a w.knight - mostly i go mad @DE)

but this had to be said

I don't think this is a fair comparison because most games out there (the popular ones) are, you know complete, or releasing expansions, not in the process of making their game.

Edited by Chupacabra

Because adding trillions of new hats every day totally equals what DE does...

TF2 is king in terms of destroying the meta. Every weapon and usable item is a sidegrade and stock items are still usable anywhere. The only meta thing I can think of that may still exist is the über saw for the medic.

Riot was nice, back when they still had Nikasaur and the Journal of Justice going, now they only care about the E-Sport thing....

One more reason why I want PVP very FAR away from this game...

Edited by Ricardo58

One more reason why want PVP very FAR away from this game...

Even if they add a balanced PvP mode warframe will never be anywhere near an e-sport...not to mention LoL is 100% created from the ground up for PvP. But that's not really a discussion for this thread.

You mean gate content behind grind and skip-able time-walls in order to make money, at the expense of the enjoyment and quality of their product, under the facade of the game being free to play, because they lack the desire, talent and vision necessary to conceive of, and implement, alternative forms of monetization that are less exploitative of the player base. Essentially disrespecting or not-acknowledging the game as an art-form (something to be done to as high a degree of expertise as possible), and instead choosing to sacrifice the quality of their own art, and using the idea of 'Free-To-Play' as an excuse to do so? 

I think...The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot? 

(I should probably clarify that I don't think the game is bad, I just don't like the idea of a game being degraded in quality because it's Free To Play...I'd rather it be Pay To Play than not as good as it could be. I find the idea of damaging the content, because you can't find a better way to make money disrespectful to the art from, and to the art medium.) 

So, now I'm just sitting here with my fishing pole. 

Seriously though: Have you even SEEN Everquest Next's Website? 
Jesus H. Somalian Super-Christ, they have more community interaction than a hostel for aspiring politicians. And Everquest Next Landmark...they are actually taking player created structures and using them in their game! They also have something called 'The Round Table' where they put design decisions into the public eye, and proceed based on their feedback! 

Some of your points, such as hosting system, have to do more with the flaws of the game rather than flaws with the company. One of the biggest arguments for player hosting is that there would be more lag on company servers if anything.

that was a company decision, everything about the game came from DE's choices so it is on them. further, dedicated servers can be leased or bought. not sure if you know that most online games out there use dedicated servers but it's a well known technology.

You mean gate content behind grind and skip-able time-walls in order to make money, at the expense of the enjoyment and quality of their product, under the facade of the game being free to play, because they lack the desire, talent and vision necessary to conceive of, and implement, alternative forms of monetization that are less exploitative of the player base. Essentially disrespecting or not-acknowledging the game as an art-form (something to be done to as high a degree of expertise as possible), and instead choosing to sacrifice the quality of their own art, and using the idea of 'Free-To-Play' as an excuse to do so? 

I think...The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot? 

(I should probably clarify that I don't think the game is bad, I just don't like the idea of a game being degraded in quality because it's Free To Play...I'd rather it be Pay To Play than not as good as it could be. I find the idea of damaging the content, because you can't find a better way to make money disrespectful to the art from, and to the art medium.) 

So, now I'm just sitting here with my fishing pole. 

Seriously though: Have you even SEEN Everquest Next's Website? 

Jesus H. Somalian Super-Christ, they have more community interaction than a hostel for aspiring politicians. And Everquest Next Landmark...they are actually taking player created structures and using them in their game! They also have something called 'The Round Table' where they put design decisions into the public eye, and proceed based on their feedback! 

Still sitting on 3k platinum.

Over 7 million credits and I just donate another 100k to clan vault.

What pay 2 win, what grind wall ?

Got almost all armors (except the latest, it's ugly to me), all colour palettes except the latest (waiting for a discount).

All weapon skins and immortal skins etc. Those are mostly cosmetic which I spend my plat on.

The fact is I played Korean MMOs that were highly rated. Even WOW and Diablo.

And let me tell you, they have waaay worst grind.

At least in Warframe, if my serration and Hornet strike is maxed, any gun I pick up will be serviceable. Even with no potato. 

Where else in other MMOs, I actually need to use a specific set of gear to reach that kind of DPS. If RNG does not favour you, oh too bad. And because they are bind to account or bind on equipped, you cannot trade for em either.

So too bad, gb2 grinding. In WOW, there are stuff that have a 0.5% drop rate of a certain boss and you can only farm him once a week. That is waaay worse.

In fact I still have 7 blue potatos and 5 yellows one just waiting for something to use on. Yes DE gives tons of these.

Silva and Aegis were fan concepts, the new enemy units coming in, are ALL fan concepts.

Even Survival mode which DE refined later. So imply that DE does not use fan concepts is out right wrong as well. 

DE might not be the shiniest example of dev to player interaction. but calling them out for making Warframe a grindy pay wall game and ignoring fans ?

Definite no.

Edited by fatpig84

If you look at the smaller developers, especially the ones trying to make honest funded MMO's, instead of cash grabs, this is what you'd see.

DeadFrontier used to be that way, but AdminPwn ultimately lost interest and moved on to another game which I don't think is coming along all that well.

sigh. When I logged in to find an ad telling me to pay up for some performance-enhancing drugs I never logged in again.

what grind wall ?

gb2 grinding

You literally have to be ignoring every single thing they've added recently pretty much.

Clan Tech

Primes

Lephantis

Vay Hek

Kubrows

Events

Those are just a few examples off the top of my head. I can pull up a bunch more I'm sure.

Also: So what if the grind isn't as bad as other games? It doesn't need to be as bad or worse to be considered bad. I.e.:

You kill a guy. That's bad. However another guy killed two people, does that mean you're no longer bad? Of course not.

(inb4 "You can't compare murder to grinding":

You kill a guy steal a bike. That's bad. However another guy killed two people stole two bikes, does that mean you or what you did is no longer bad? Of course not.)

Edited by KvotheTheArcane1