Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Kubrows Are Fine, And Why You're Probably Wrong

Vargras

Kubro system is a pet simulator.  Sentinels are not.  If you want a virtual pet then go kubro.  If you don't want to be bothered with upkeep then go sentinel. Both parties have an option that appeals to them.

Look, upkeep is fine, as long as it does not wipe player progress if players fail to keep it up. Which is what is happening with the current system. 

That way, it still provides a credit sink, but players would at least not feel as though it is a chore, if not willing to do it. 

Or you could just love them unconditionally.  Or are you saying you toss the ugly puppies, that your dog just had, into the rubbish bin?

All of them? You are aware that most dogs give birth to about 2~4 puppies at a time and your house will become essentially a kennel if you try and take them all in? Not to mention that ration, cleaning and everything else (That are, by the way, MUCH MORE of a hassle then taking in a Kubrow) will broke all but the richest men?

Most of us try and find friends and other possible owners and donate most, if not all the puppies.

OK.

1. Stasis shouldn't have the timer, but your kubrow still loses 20% DNA integrity after a daily reward if you take it out. ( that only stacks once, so you can just break the system by putting the Kubrow into stasis, but doesn't really hurt you other then losing 20% hp when you come back after your vacai.

2. After being Logged out for X amount of days lets when your Kubrow reaches -60% Integrity, your Kubrow will stop losing DNA Integrity, (so you won't lose your Kubrow for being AFK or Errors, you will just be at -60% HP) (this is only in effect when your Loggedout, once you log back it goes back to the normal 20% lost a day.

3. Give Kubrow quest a MR requirement of atleast 5.

4. Make DNA stabalizers heal 100% of your Kubrows HP (not all of it just 100% of it) so thats 1 DNA Stabalizer every 5 days.

There the system is still the same, its just more casual friendly. :/

I don't have a response to all of these, but I do for some.

2. Why not just have Ordis insta-stasis it when it hits -60% integrity.

3. Kubrows are not one of the additions that should be locked behind mastery. They're just not new player friendly, which should be looked at/fixed.

yEEEEEEEEEEEs really.  He is saying he hates his Kubros because RNG.  Real puppies are also RNGed. He is not using them because RNG so there is a parallel.

Real puppies have much less RNG that a kubrow. You can't mix together two black labs and get a golden retriever. Do you not know how dogs work or something?

They are mutts.  Mixing two mutts gives some pretty random results.

Not really. Most likely you'll just get another mutt. There's not a massive level of variability in that. Kubrow breeding is based off percentages and not genetics, so even if you mix together two full breed kubrows you can get something totally different out, which I think is what he was referring to.

The upkeep cost on a Kubrow is stupid. I'm MR8, never reached a million credits, and still regularily spend large quantities of credits for new frames and weapons.

Oh well, I'll level the Kubrow to max, put it in stasis and never look back.

Kubro system is a pet simulator.  Sentinels are not.  If you want a virtual pet then go kubro.  If you don't want to be bothered with upkeep then go sentinel. Both parties have an option that appeals to them.

Well if you think so, that's fine, but normally pet simulators have more interesting mechanics than "spend your money on me instead of something else if you want to keep me alive."

That and the "pets" are not normally war hounds which have a definite functionality in an actual game (i.e. Warframe) that they are merely a supplement to.

If you want to play pet simulator with your Kubrow that's fine, but I want mine to do the task for which it was designed, and that is overcoming enemy opposition and gaining power, which 100,000 credit taxes inhibit for no meaningful reason.

Well if you think so, that's fine, but normally pet simulators have more interesting mechanics than "spend your money on me instead of something else if you want to keep me alive."

That and the "pets" are not normally war hounds which have a definite functionality in an actual game (i.e. Warframe) that they are merely a supplement to.

If you want to play pet simulator with your Kubrow that's fine, but I want mine to do the task for which it was designed, and that is overcoming enemy opposition and gaining power, which 100,000 credit taxes inhibit for no meaningful reason.

100k for "pet food" fits in just fine with the pet simulator angle. If you just want something to help kill without the simulation angle then you have the sentinel option.

The fact that we, as consumer, are accepting this kind of abuse disgusts me... (other nasty stuff)

Are you kidding me???? this is not abuse, this is, to me, DE trying to add a new and engaging mechanic to their work-in-progress game. yes, there are bus aplenty. yes, the stasis timer is irritating and i want it to go away. yes, it is expensive to keep your space dog alive. But it is just that: a space dog. do you complain that it is abuse by a pet store when you have to buy food for and train your pet? no, because that is something that you agree to when you get said pet.

am I "white-Knighting?" not in my opinion. I feel that i am simply saying that perhaps you should cut them a little slack on the less than brilliant decisions you feel that they made when implementing a brand new mechanic.

100k for "pet food" fits in just fine with the pet simulator angle. If you just want something to help kill without the simulation angle then you have the sentinel option.

I don't mind having some sort of upkeep involved. It's actually good that there is upkeep involved. The problem is that it's expensive upkeep, and you're penalized severely for not paying it.

Ever since U14 dropped, I've been seeing a lot of posts hating on kubrows. A lot. And honestly, a lot of the critiques are kinda baseless. Not only that, but kubrows as a whole? They're fine. They could use some tweaks, sure, but they're a lot better than some people try to make them out to be.

As for the why? Well...

1. 100,000 credits just to keep my kubrow healthy is ridiculous! I can't believe I have to pay for these stupid stabilizers!

6. So kubrows actually die if their health reaches -100%? That's way too punishing and needs to be removed.

Everything else I agree with, and really have trouble understanding why people are complaining about those ones.

These two though, 

1. It's a punishing system, regardless of actual cost. While loyalty is designed to get you to return and give you a benefit for it, this one punishes for just owning the kubrow. Stasis isn't a solution because the players who can't afford the stabilizers are the ones who are least likely to be able to repeatedly stasis their kubrow and still use him.  And it's not friendly enough to all level of players. It doesn't need to be removed, but a cheaper/free chowbrow that only keeps the kubrow at base health should be implemented. Premium Chowbrow should build up to the 100% bonus. Credit sink for Veterans, accessibility for all players. And they missed the opportunity to chowbrow by making it a 'dna stabilizer'. I mean, seriously. chowbrow. How could they not?

2. It is a little punishing. -100% should lock the kubrow in stasis for a time period until it recovers. Still punishes for neglect but doesn't remove the effort in building up your Kubrow. It makes the punishment a little more fair.

Edited by LukeAura

stabilizers are not pet food.  I have never fed my Kubrow.  Saying they are food is a pretty big stretch. They're medicine if anything.  Kubrows require no sustenance 

My suspenders of disbelief are about to snap when it comes to warframe as it stands.  Now we're 'feeding' Kubrows.  I'd say that's funny, but it's not funny at all.

Edited by AbaliskInfinite

True (for some players), but current mechanism makes it feel like a chore to work for it. 

Once again, upkeep is fine, as long as it does not wipe out player progress if the player fails to continue the upkeep. 

Raising pets is a boon and well as a "chore".

A dog of mixed breed. You obviously don't understand how genetics work.

Your chances of getting a pure-bred puppy from two mutts is 0%

Good job googling it.  Your previous post:

"Most likely you'll just get another mutt."

You won't "most likely" get another mutt.  You WILL get another mutt.  However mutts tend to have a diverse genetic background and so their puppies can have wildly differing characteristics. So yes, puppies irl are RNGed.

I've never figured Kubrows are awful, personally. But if you got me really talking about them you'd hear mostly criticism about them.

I don't tend to linger too long on how great one part of a thing may be. I'd rather talk about how to make the not-so-great part add up. That is just how I use my time when talking about the game here on the forums or in conversation with the other Moderators or my Friends.

I don't imagine I'm alone in this. I think that focus probably exists for a great deal of us here on the forums. 

Anyway, Vargras. Could you please leave the potshots out of you opening posts? Your confrontational title and final line just crap up an otherwise fair read.

Raising pets is a boon and well as a "chore".

Yes, it is a chore somewhat, but right now, it is a bare-bones, spiky chore that just wipes out progress if players stop. 

Package it with some entertainment and leeway to make it fun, then the Kubrows will be enjoyed.