Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

If Warframe Wasn't Free To Play, Would You Buy It?

-Vane-

Hello!

NyancraftG here, and i just had to ask this question.

Here are some advantages that would come if game wasn't free to play:

Less Trolls, Spammers, Raging Kids, Swearing

Platinum would be cheaper and got in bigger quantities

Crafting would take less time since DE won't need so much money from user's buying platinum

And here are some disadvanatges:

Smaller community

Less players

My answer is: Yes I would buy it.

Edited by NyancraftG

This is my favorite game by far. So, yes I would buy it. The problem is the game really won't be like this if it wasn't free to play and we ave to buy platinum or the prime access. If have funded huge chunks of this game and it would be complete different if DE didn't get direct money from us. I think it would have looked roughly U8ish on release.

If they still make me buy slots I would not buy it and if these major updates were DLC instead of updates I would not buy it.

Edit:

You mean if it had a subscription fee? No I would not. 

Granted I think I've spent more on warframe over these past 16-17 months than I would have in $15 monthly sub fees, but I just hate the idea of regular fees. 

Edited by Postal_pat

No. Despite Warframe's flaws of being in beta and a work-in-progress, I like it the way it is now. It has one of the best developing companies I've seen in a very long time, very community-based, and immersive. The weekly updates, constant hotfixes, and the ability to get everything but some cosmetics for free is a definite plus of DE's. Depending on the price, I may buy it if it had a price, but Warframe is a good game that has potential. It is F2P and I enjoy that. Warframe's community, from what I've seen (for the most part) has a very mature playerbase with contributing members and participation. New players are welcomed by the veterans, they are helped, the Warframe Support team is awesome, and the new quest system and user experience has definitely dawned a possibility of large potential for the future of Warframe. Sometimes the community may not agree on some decisions made by DE, but it is still Warframe and still free-to-play, and one of the best games I have played in a very long time. So I might have bought it depending on the price and first-look reputation, but I like it the way it is now, despite its flaws of being in the Open Beta stage.
EDIT:

If you are referring to a subscription-based game, then no. I do NOT like how those turn out. Bad experiences.

If you are referring to one single price, then yes.

Edited by APBladeX

You mean if it had a subscription fee? No I would not. 

Granted I think I've spent more on warframe over these past 16-17 months than I would have in $15 monthly sub fees, but I just hate the idea of regular fees. 

I didin't mean subscription fee, rather buy it as a game. On Steam, not subscription fee. 

If it had a subscription fee, no way. Especially not if it had microtransactions on top of that. I said this about Elder scrolls online and The old republic. In todays market why would I pay money when I can get an equal or greater experience with a game I can play for free? Theres a lot of competition out there with free to play titles and many of them are good. A few of them are even great.

However I have always wanted warframe to have a similar business model to tribes ascend and Smite where you could do a one time purchase and get everything from current and future development. Ild be ok dropping $30-60 on that kind of promise.

However I have always wanted warframe to have a similar business model to tribes ascend and Smite where you could do a one time purchase and get everything from current and future development. Ild be ok dropping $30-60 on that kind of promise.

This is what i'm talking about.

When I feel free I'm more likely to spend money. Counterintuitive in a way, but it works. 

Give me something for free, and I'm likely to pay for more. Make me pay for something, and I'll refuse and walk out of the room and spend my money elsewhere. If I feel restricitve I'm not going to be in a spending mood. This is why I haven't "bought" many games over the past year. I just put all that money into Warframe. 

And I bet the Devs are pretty happy about that. 

Man, I'd be willing to pay $200 to get everything now and future. 

Hello!

Crafting would take less time since DE won't need so much money from user's buying platinum

Smaller community

Less players

Yes.

And thats why I play The Secret World as well, for all the reasons you mentioned -AND- it has a steep learning curve and builds require planning/teamwork or you screw up hard.

Its amazing what those little things can do to a game and community to make them more, shall we say, palatable?

Hello!

Smaller community

Less players

I don't think you thought this list through. Warframe as is now would be a mess as a pay to play title.

As it was when I first got into it, sure.. actually I effectivly did.

As it currently is I likely wouldn't have given Warframe a second look (which is kind of a pity, given the core gameplay is fun), the UI would have given me a vastly different idea of the overall quality of the game.

Depends on the business model really. Games with subscription fees I never buy into, simply because I know there are times when I have money and times when I won't. I hate being faced with the choice of either having to pay a subscription fee to keep my account or being able to eat that week - knowing I'd be getting paid shortly after the time when the fee would be due. 

If it were a one-time purchase title, that's another story entirely. In that case I only need be interested in it, and then purchase it whenever I get around to it. 

But so far free to play has been the most cohesive way for DE to take all my money, as I've probably invested more into Warframe than all of the other games I've ever bought combined. And i cri evrytiem.

By allowing me to play it for an extended amount of time, and be exposed to virtually 100% of the game's content, they've fostered an environment that makes me as a player want to invest in the game thereafter - as opposed to being forced to invest in a game before playing it like most one-time and subscription type titles. 

Edited by DJ_Redwire