Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are There Any Good Grineer?

Aramanth

Sargus Ruk seems like a good, hounourable fellow who just happens to be fighting for a rival faction.  He's following what he knows and what he believes to be right.  

He's also probably the only person who's offered the Tenno any form of surrender or mercy, and while he is strict, I would have to agree he's probably one of the few people left with morals. I feel bad killing him every time.

If I recall correctly, there used to be a file somewhere in your install with all the dialogues, including a lot of unused ones. One of them talked about a Grineer geneticist who was working on a project to prevent (presumably Tyl Regor's) research into reversing clone degradation. I'll see if I can still find it.

If I recall correctly, there used to be a file somewhere in your install with all the dialogues, including a lot of unused ones. One of them talked about a Grineer geneticist who was working on a project to prevent (presumably Tyl Regor's) research into reversing clone degradation. I'll see if I can still find it.

I will only think this guy as a foolish one if he does exist...

Stopping the degradation does nothing, it doesn't only kill your race, it kills all the knowledge, all the tech used by your race, why don't you try to live longer and change Grineers for a greater good?

Conflicts in the universe weren't caused by Grineers, it was caused by imbalance between factions, Tenno will simply turn to "monitor" Corpus if all Grineers died.

Yes there are good Tenno supporting/Red Veil supporting Grineer as evidenced by the occasional random grineer radio chatter with the one guy saying things like "That better not be a red veil badge" and then proceeding to imprison that grineer and search the ship for Red Veil members (If memory serves me correctly that is).

Yes there are good Tenno supporting/Red Veil supporting Grineer as evidenced by the occasional random grineer radio chatter with the one guy saying things like "That better not be a red veil badge" and then proceeding to imprison that grineer and search the ship for Red Veil members (If memory serves me correctly that is).

It's hard to say if he was talking to another grineer or a random unaffiliated ship captain or even a corpus merchant. From what I've seen it seems like there's a sizable amount of civilian humans still out there that we never ever see for w/e reason. 

When soldiers of 2 countries are sent to fight against each other, who is good and who is bad? It's an all out war and there's no black and white areas left anywhere.

But then again, I'm very much a moral relativist anyway. So you probably shouldn't ask me unless you want the whole discussion about definitions of right and wrong.

Edited by zoffmode

We'll Sargas Rul seems like a pretty good guy. He only wanted to wipe out the Corpus after they screwed him over in the gravidus dilemma, which is totally justified. He was clearly willing to work with Tenno and judged them based on their strength not their allegiance. He accepted strong Tenno just as he would a grineer. When you battle him, his comments even seem to imply he believes that the grineer are protecting the rest of the galaxy, and he criticizes your lack of honour. Additionally, when vay Hek uses the grustrag 3, ruk seems appalled, since they commit violence against other grineer.

This.

Sargas Ruk is probably my favorite "enemy". He's strong, honorable, believes he is the true protector of this galaxy, and makes damn sure to tell you how dishonorable you are for backstabbing him when you go to fight him after helping him in the Gradivus Event.

So if there IS a good Grineer, it's Sargas.

Edited by SoulEchelon

When soldiers of 2 countries are sent to fight against each other, who is good and who is bad? It's an all out war and there's no black and white areas left anywhere.

But then again, I'm very much a moral relativist anyway. So you probably shouldn't ask me unless you want the whole discussion about definitions of right and wrong.

Plz, it's a game. Moral Relativism hardly applies when the characters are fictional and the creators of the game can define right and wrong for you, within the context of the game itself.

The Grineer are very obviously evil as a faction, despite having distinct motivations and some being more or less honorable than others. Sargas Ruk is a good example of a Grineer with complex motivations and an interesting character development beyond "I'm a raging a**hole!"

He's also probably the only person who's offered the Tenno any form of surrender or mercy, and while he is strict, I would have to agree he's probably one of the few people left with morals. I feel bad killing him every time.

He's also the only person in the entire solar system who asks us to join him. He doesn't do it in a very nice way, but we are basically space terrorists and he's a hyper-aggressive general/commando so I can let that one slide.

Technically, G3 are good grineer. if you read their lore, they were aboard a transport and just started killing their comrades because they were impatient to kill. Only way Vey Hek keeps them in check is by putting a Grustrag Bolt on each of them (the same thing the G3 puts on you if they kill you). So without that Bolt they'd be unstable killing machines with no alliance :D

Being clones has nothing to do with it per se. Cloning is just another process for creating a lifeform, like any other form of reproduction. That said, there may or may not be some genetic engineering introduced into the process that may contribute to say, aggressiveness, or loyalty, or any number of traits, but this would still not really be mind control (afaik. Perhaps the Orokin future space magic has unlocked new forms of genetic manipulation.)

There's not much reason to assume there aren't "good" Grineer. We don't really encounter or know anything much about anyone who isn't a random soldier we are fighting, anyway, with precious few exceptions.

Ergo, cloning clones same feelings, same emotions, same brain, same goals.

The G3 are also pretty good. Considering they're ordered to come kill you after slaughtering thousands of their kin they defeat you, slap a bolt on you and leave.

Technically, G3 are good grineer. if you read their lore, they were aboard a transport and just started killing their comrades because they were impatient to kill. Only way Vey Hek keeps them in check is by putting a Grustrag Bolt on each of them (the same thing the G3 puts on you if they kill you). So without that Bolt they'd be unstable killing machines with no alliance :D

I don't know if that makes them good grineer.  They seem more like chaotic neutral than neutral evil like every other grineer out there.  Just because they kill Grineer too doesn't make them good.  It just means they like killing.

We got to see a lot of clone action in the Star Wars Clone Wars series (both the 2D and 3D one). Clones in that show had different personalities just like people, and yet they were also programmed in their upbringing to act a certain way (and if you watched Episode III then you also know they have very deep programming in their minds). They did not share any similar mental traits to Jango Fett, who they were cloned from. There were some rogue clones, who left the fighting, or tried to profit. While they aren't exactly the same, I think it works to see how Star Wars did it. It made them more than just the clones we got from the movies, who really were just cannon fodder.

So I think there are different Grineer and can very well be ones who don't follow the Queens' programming. We already know the various Grineer bosses have personalities and senses of honor. It's not a stretch to think there could be some who don't follow the same creed as the ones we've fought.

Grineers are like the sci-fi version of conquering Spartans who get their asses handed to them by sissies in jumpsuits. At least, I'm pretty sure that any Tenno fighting against the Grineer are seen as sissies in jumpsuits by them.

Might be why they're losing badly too : chronic superiority disorder.

Edited by Wiegraf