Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Is A Good Way To Get Your Trade Offers Noticed And Picked Up On? (Share Your Advice!)

Code-X7

Question

Everyone who has ever traded know that sometimes is is hard to get your offer noticed of picked up on.  What are some tips you can share with the warframe community to make your offers more noticed and have more buyers?  What has worked for you?  Share your advice below and help some Tenno out!

EDIT:

Some of this is some nice advice, some are just funny answers!  I'm glad this got replies!

Edited by Code-X7

It's all about the price.  If you put a price in your "listing", you're a lot more likely to get PM'd.  And if you're looking for a quick turnaround, price it at market low.  If you're not playing the game to rip people off, you should have no qualms with setting something at a fair price.  Sometimes I throw in a R5 just to get people's attention, too.

I can tell you what doesn't help: a great long post about four lines long, all in capital letters. Nobody likes reading them.

I tend to wait until someone lists something they want to buy and contact them directly with an offer if I have it. At busier times it is impossible for one "WTS" post to stand out from another. Unless you're offering rock-bottom prices or something.

quite the opposite really, people prefer to KNOW what you are selling than have to guess or waste time PMing you.

LIST EVERYTHING YOU CAN, don't worry about the very few people to lazy to read

It's all about the price.  If you put a price in your "listing", you're a lot more likely to get PM'd.  And if you're looking for a quick turnaround, price it at market low.  If you're not playing the game to rip people off, you should have no qualms with setting something at a fair price.  Sometimes I throw in a R5 just to get people's attention, too.

agreed, most people hate to guess what you are expecting and won't waste time to ask, listing everything you have to sell and what prices they are is the way to go. 

Don't spam in trade chat, lurk, find someone wanting to buy something you have, sell it.

This.  There is a VAST glut of junk on the market. Advertisers are everywhere and you will get lost in the noise no matter what. Buyers are rare and precious, pounce on them.

^ Very true. I've noticed a lot of people don't like to put offers forward when buying, and as for haggling... I've tried to instigate it before but people tend to just leave rather than negotiate price.

Except if you demand that I name a price, I *must* quote high.  Last night I sold a braton prime for 40 plat. That's a very high price for this item. Did I get 40 by saying "I'll sell it for 40"?  No.  We discussed trading a bit, decided he didn't have anything I wanted in trade, and the buyer suggested 40.  If I go around quoting 20 as the price I will sell at, then I wouldn't have the item for when along comes somebody that IS willing to make a higher offer.  It doesn't cost me anything to keep my merchandise and wait for that more favorable offer.

Buyers want sellers to set a price because if the seller prices too low then it's a buyer win/seller lose, while if the price is too high then price negotation can only go down (no sale or possible buyer win/seller lose again).    Sellers want buyers to set a price because if the buyer sets the price too low then price negotiation can go up (no sale or possible seller win/buyer lose), while if the buyer sets the price too high then it's seller win/buyer lose again.

Basically both sides are in a better strategic position if the other person opens the bidding. Primarily because too few people understand the concept of haggling and would rather walk away than make a counter offer.

If you're selling, only list one or two things at a time, better if they're related (i.e. two multishot mods, two parts of the same prime item, etc.) Sets are good too, just be willing to sell parts of the set individually. The point is to make your ad easy to read, people who are lurking to buy something in particular are going to be reading over a lot of listings and will start to skim or skip a lot of the big ones listing 10 things after a while.

If you're buying and you're advertising, you probably want the item bad enough to not pay the absolute lowest price possible, so put up a reasonable offer. It's very, very rare that you will actually catch a newbie who's willing to sell something for way less than it's worth, and if you do you're being kind of a jerk.

Always, ALWAYS put a price. If you have no idea what something's worth and you don't see anyone else buying or selling it, there's sites out there that you can use as a baseline (the market tends to fluctuate way more often than they update though).

If you're too low on platinum and want to trade instead of buy, offer something that's obviously worth more than what you want. It sucks to have to do that, but the chances of finding someone who has what you want and wants something of equal value are incredibly low.

To get noticed just be honest about what you have and encourage people to contact you. The closing line on my ad is "Whisper me with what youre looking for. I might have it" and it gets quite a few peoples attention (beslides I cant possibly list everything Im selling in one post). It also pays to watch for people wanting to buy (WTB) items. Most of my sales come from me contacting a buyer, not the other way around.

Be polite but firm. Being polite to people helps foster a desire to work with you. If you act like a jerk you loose out on that sale and probably future sales as well.

Once you make a sale I find its worth it to ask if they need anything else. I would say around 3/4 of the time when I sell an item to someone theyre willing to buy something else they need from me.

Also never be afraid to haggle. You want to get the most plat you can get. The buyer wants to buy it for the least plat they can spend. You have to work out what you both feel is a fair price for the item. It may not be what you want but if you can live with it then make the deal, if not dont make the deal. The language you use should reflect  the fact that you're willing to haggle a bit but dont be afraid to say no either. If someone lowballs you excessively so to the point where it feels insulting just say no or you can be a real jerk like me and jack up the price 50-100% higher then average. That said, Ive found that most buyers wont even consider the option of haggling so dont be surprised if they just say no and walk away, its usually not worth it to lower your price at that point

Also the "I got a lower price offer". This does happen. Im sure we all undercut other people but its usually not worth getting into a bidding war. Not only that but you dont know if the buyer really got another offer. It may be my conspirinoia talking but when I hear that line I often think the persons lying and just wants it cheaper but isnt willing to actually haggle for a cheaper price. Ive seen that line quite a few times and then a few minutes later Ill see the buyers same message