Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Verdun – The Ww1 Warframe

S.T.M.P.D

Verdun is a master of ghastly ancient warfare, using his powers to engineer terrible machines of conquest.

Shield – 100

Health – 175

Armor – 150

Initial Power Capacity: 135.

Locked till rank 7.

Verdun functions as a defensive Warframe, with a mix of Blast and Gas themed powers.

Chemical Warfrare (15 energy): Verdun tosses a grenade that lets out a large cloud of gas damage, perfect for defense targets and chokepoints. It deals guaranteed Proc, as well as reducing the accuracy of enemies by 40/50/60/70%.

Trench Warfare (50 energy): Verdun creates a trench in the ground, a literal depression which can be used for cover. Holographic barbed wire deals strong Slash procs to enemies, as well as slowing them down, and Primary weapons in the trench receive a damage buff of 50/60/70/80 percent.

Over The Top: (65 energy): Verdun readies his allies for battle, refilling their ammunition stocks as well as increasing fire rates by 40/50/60 percent.

Creeping Barrage (130 energy): Verdun summons a horde of holographic artillery cannons behind him, which carpet-bomb the ground with bombs. The Barrage follows Verdun, slowly advancing with him. Each cannon has around three shots. Upgrading increases damage and number of cannons used, up to 5.

Alt helmets - Kaiser (German) and Casque.

Edited by S.T.M.P.D

I like the idea of a frame that can resupply his allies, somewhat like Trinities' healing well. I dont see the turrets on the wall working to wel, but rather something like the sentry turret from Borderlands, where you have a barricade with an automated sentry.

Speaking of WWI, why are there no AAA WWI shooters? Like something where you 32 man teams in heavily defended trenches, and all you have to do to win is storm the other trench, but ammo and medical supplies are limited for each team. So it becomes this tense stalemate until one team dies via attrition. Slow but tactical gameplay. (Sorry about off topic-ness)

I like the basic idea for this, though, if I may, I'd like to throw in suggestions on how to make each of his powers scale-able and useful for more than just mere damage.

Chlorine Gas - rather than just the base damage alone, perhaps it could slow affected enemies and reduce their accuracy. Maybe also reduce whatever proc chances they can do.

Trench Warfare - If it stays as is: rather than just a huge health pool, it needs resistance as well if it's going to be a barricade. This one though I honestly don't like as much as the others, so I'll just do a complete rework on it. The rework being that when cast, a trench of usable cover immediately gets carved into the floor that you and your squad-mates can use. Around the trench are particles that cause slash proc when enemies cross it (think barb-wire). Perhaps a damage buff could come from ranged weapons as well for this, to make it scale well.

Over the Top - Making a lower energy cost, anywhere between 50-75. And you may want to reword how it works, because you have it listed as helping enemies rather than allies.

Barrage - Guaranteed blast proc will be needed to make this scale well with levels so that enemies are stun-locked while under the effects of this ultimate.

Edited by BizarreFetalChimpanzee

German could be an alternate helmet - the Kaiser.

Also, there's an indie WW1 shooter out now called Verdun. It's on sale, what with yesterday being the 100th anniversary, so if you've got steam, buy that puppy!

Edited by S.T.M.P.D

Not having the Casque Adrian pattern as one of the helmets would be downright criminal, that thing pretty much got the whole concept of modern steel helmet started. Also probably the single most popular design worldwide in the interwar period FWIW.

Mind you I'd call the first ability "Chemical Warfare" or similar instead, just to stay appropriately abstract, and remove the enemy speed effect; that's a much better fit for the second ability, seeing as how barbed-wire fields to stall the enemy in the killzone were a defining feature of the war. That one might also work better as a straight "Razor Wire" field that slows enemies and deals slash procs, the "holo barricade" idea sounds a little hard to realise in practice. Not to mention kind of heavily trespassing on Frost's niche.

The holo cannon sound a little overwrought for the ult, it's not like Hydroid's "bukkake rain" has such either. And artillery was always noted (and resented by the groundpounders) for killing "over the horizon" so to speak, no? Not sure how the time-slowing thing would work in practice though - more speed debuffs to the enemy?

Might also work as a "Creeping Barrage" that moves with the user.

I like the idea of a frame that can resupply his allies, somewhat like Trinities' healing well. I dont see the turrets on the wall working to wel, but rather something like the sentry turret from Borderlands, where you have a barricade with an automated sentry.

Speaking of WWI, why are there no AAA WWI shooters? Like something where you 32 man teams in heavily defended trenches, and all you have to do to win is storm the other trench, but ammo and medical supplies are limited for each team. So it becomes this tense stalemate until one team dies via attrition. Slow but tactical gameplay. (Sorry about off topic-ness)

Day of Defeat on steam is a WWII game very fun.

Thank you very much for the feedback - I'm on my laptop, so I can't quote, but it's nice to see some enthusiasm around a pretty random idea I had.

In terms of helmets, I was thinking of the British flat-top helmet for the base, then the spiked German helmet for one alt. Casque would be a perfect second.

I agree completely with the feedback on Chlorine Gas, but I'm not so sure about Ability 2. Instead of a wall, it's a trench, in the ground, an active depression in the map with a little barbed wire. This way it doesn't really trespass on Frost's territory.

And you have a point about the Barrage, but what other possible ult could he have? Summoning a tank or a Sopwith might be interesting, if a little OP. The creeping Barrage thing actually works better, so that will be edited.

BFC, I'm still waiting on that concept art. Take your time, just let me know if that's still happening.

Still waiting on that concept art btw

Idk, the idea of an actual *trench* sounds iffy in practise - what with interfering with the basic map geometry and thus likely being appallingly prone to bugs and glitches. Hence the suggestion of the razorwire field - far less potentially problematic and while admittedly not quite the same we're not actually at the Somme either, and still an iconic feature of the war.

As for the ult IMO just create the explosions without messing around with any ghostly soixante-quinzes or such - it's not like Hydroid's conceptually similar ability actually conjured up a load of muzzleloading naval guns either, after all. And the infantry did always rather resent the way the artillery killed them "over the horizon"...

Alrighty then. Between not having immediate access to my scanner, dissatisfaction with many of the concepts, a sudden general inability to draw full-body, and random stuff coming up throughout the week, I finally have at least a few concepts for different parts of Verdun (this took way longer than I hoped it would). I couldn't really get anything for Arms yet since everything I've tried so far I haven't been satisfied by yet (though I assure you I have been trying different ideas with the arms). I'll get a full body sketch once I can get a satisfying set of arms. For the time being, though, I'll mostly just say "Soon." Most of what I have to present are as follows:

1. Base Helmet. Supposed to be a mix of the classic WWI Allies Helmet, various Warframes (Oberon, Volt, and Vauban as main inspirations), and the front peice being almost snout-like.

2. Chest piece and Sash - I tried to make it look both like a mechanized suit of some sort and have it retain some WWI attributes. I figured the easiest way to do this was to have lines that roughly resemble shirts of the time. I also decided on a sash, as I thought it would be interesting to have Verdun cast his abilities in a similar fashion to Vauban, that being he grabs grenades, activates according to power, and throws them.

3. The leg is largely a mix of the WWI pant and boot clothing mixed with ideas from the Proto-Excal skin and Vauban.

4. To maintain somewhat of a "trench" look, seen commonly with those wearing gas-masks, I decided on the possibility of Verdun having a battle skirt made out of some sort of leather, if for nothing else than it fitting thematically.

verdunconcepts1_by_destructowad-d7tk5ra.

You have done well, my disciple.

While it lacks the biological aspect of many Warframes, I don't think there is or will ever be an easy way to do that. I very much like the Vauban-esque mechanical design, because it works.

That being said, the sketch seems to be a little lacking in detail. By all means, come back to this piece if you can. The help is much appreciated.

Edited by S.T.M.P.D