The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Could Someone Explain Ddos?

DeiUmbrarum

The servers can only respond to so many requests at once. DDoS is when lots of requests are sent all at once so legitimate requests can't get through.

There's a lot of different ways it can happen, but that's essentially what it is. 

Edited by vaugahn

Layman's terms:

Servers can only process so many requests at once

Someone doesn't like servers so they get a whole bunch of other people's computers (botnet) to send lots of requests at it

Server becomes overloaded and people can't login. 

The servers can only respond to so many requests at once DDoS is when lots of requests are sent all at once so legitimate requests can't get through.

There's a lot of different ways it can happen, but that's essentially what it is. 

In Liquid Terms: Too much water tries to fit through the faucet.

Edited by PsychedelicSnake

Think of it this way: You're at a fancy restaurant, and a server asks you what you want. You tell them you want the chicken alfredo. You know this place is reliable with orders so you continue to keep them in business. All of a sudden groups of randoms walk in and all at once yell at the server their orders. The server simply cannot handle all the food orders and doesn't know what to do except to break down in tears as the onslaught of customers toss out orders.

This is what is basically happening.

Okay. i am going to use a metaphor.

See the warframe servers as a big post office.

packages of information come in, and packages of information go out.

When you finish a mission, buy something, put something to work in the foundry, save your loadout etc. you send a package to the post office.

and they will send you a package back with a conformation or item.

now with a DDOS somebody sent alot of packages at the same time. more so than the post office staff can handle and the post office is overloaded with information packages.

hope this clears it up

Basically, think of this. A server only has 50 megabytes (a second) upload speed. Now, the attacker, has 100 megabytes (a second) upload speed. The attacker can then use the entire pipe to send MOST of their data to the server, but the thing is, the server can't handle all the data, and is struggling to process it. That basically means while it's going offline, it's trying to process the data fullspeed, because there's so much of it, they need to push it out of the pipe. It's then causing a clog that halts the network from working.

These people are using a botnet, a group of computers connected to one computer, and are rapidly sending in packets at a speed that overloads just enough to kill the login and saving features. 

Not necessarily true. There is a method which can involve 1 server with a high upload speed and hundreds of other servers known as DNS servers. For example: Google DNS, Open DNS, etc. But only certain DNS servers are vulnerable to this method of attack, because they respond to the requests. Here's how it works:

Server A: Attacker Server

Server B: DNS Server

Server C: Victim Server

--

Server A has an IP of 1.1.1.1, Server B has an IP of 2.2.2.2, and server C has an IP of 3.3.3.3.

1. Server A sends 65 bytes of data in multiple requests a second (say a few MB/s) spoofing the IP 2.2.2.2

2. Server B gets the data and responds to the request.

3. Server C receives data from Server B repetitively.

--

Now, Server A would have a LOT of DNS resolvers like Server B on hand to take advantage of this. This means a lot of requests with Server C's IP and multiple DNS resolvers.

Here's an article on CloudFlare and their mitigation of a 75Gbps attack (75Gbps = 9.375GBps).

http://blog.cloudflare.com/the-ddos-that-knocked-spamhaus-offline-and-ho

Basically it's like this:

Everytime you try to connect to the game or the forums, Your computer sends a request to DE's server/s. The Servers then answer your request by sending the requested information (pictures, texts etc.) back to your computer (indirectly... but that's not important.).

Now you're not the only one who's sending those requests- The server usually handles a lot of requests at once.

Normally, this shouldn't be a problem. These servers are powerfull enough to handle a high number of requests.

But sometimes, there are A$$holes who think it's funny to harm a company by -basically- sending a fckton of requests at once to the companie's server.

A number so high, the server can't handle all the requests anymore.

It's like lining up behind a counter - but the dude before you - even though it's just a single person, counts for... dunno.... 10000 people.

So it's like the person behind the counter needs to deal with 10000 customers before you.... even though theres just one.

Ergo, you're request can't be dealt with.

In this case, It's either another company which is trying to harm DE / weaken their security in order to actually hack valueable information (usually happens when a money institue's server gets ddos'd)....

Or what I think: Some butthurt Player who got banned gets revenge by ddos'ing.

Unfortunately it IS that easy.

And it's quite hard to do something against it, because the server doesn't know which multible request ID's (IP adresse) come from the same person.

phew,... at least that's what I learned.

In this case, It's either another company which is trying to harm DE / weaken their security in order to actually hack valueable information (usually happens when a money institue's server gets ddos'd)....

Or what I think: Some butthurt Player who got banned gets revenge by ddos'ing.

Unfortunately it IS that easy.

And it's quite hard to do something against it, because the server doesn't know which multible request ID's (IP adresse) come from the same person.

phew,... at least that's what I learned.

Overloading a server to the point it is unreachable isn't the best way to access the server I'd think.

Overloading a server to the point it is unreachable isn't the best way to access the server I'd think.

I'd think so to..

Doesn't make any sense to me either...

But I've been told that Ddos attacks are often launched to draw attention while meanwhile important  information is being acquired.

Basically as distraction.

It's like lining up behind a counter - but the dude before you - even though it's just a single person, counts for... dunno.... 10000 people.

So it's like the person behind the counter needs to deal with 10000 customers before you.... even though theres just one.

It's more like a dude getting 10,000 buddies to get in line to tie up the counter with inane and trivial requests.

>be me

>world's greatest hacker

>#1 on DE's most wanted list

>open up cmd.exe

>type in "DDOS_DE's_farming_simulators_servers"

>mfw the matrix

>suddenly DE zorencoptors circling overhead

>haha smalltime stuff

>go to warframe.com/hack

>open up DE's control console

>type in blowupzorencoptors.nerf

>they explode sending warframe parts and shrapnel everywhere

>sudden knocking on the door

a-anon let us in or we'll permaban you

>i laugh

>they break the door down, revealing 3 tall rhino primes with golden iron skin and codpieces shining

>haha more weak sauce

>open up control console again

>type in stalker_dispel.flav+shieldignore.tox

>mfw their iron skin gets nerfed and they get instakilled by toxic damage

>oh crap reinforcements

>they have like 10 akpenbrakktor prime vandal wraith pointed at my head

>haha too bad suckers

>i turn to the side showing them my computer screen

>incognito mode botches

>they &!$$ their frames

>they crawl home while i laugh my booben teslas off

>mfw

Edited by Desgax

>be me
>world's greatest hacker
>#1 on DE's most wanted list
>open up cmd.exe
>type in "DDOS_DE's_farming_simulators_servers"
>mfw the matrix
>suddenly DE zorencoptors circling overhead
>haha smalltime stuff
>go to warframe.com/hack
>open up DE's control console
>type in blowupzorencoptors.nerf
>they explode sending warframe parts and shrapnel everywhere
>sudden knocking on the door
a-anon let us in or we'll permaban you
>i laugh
>they break the door down, revealing 3 tall rhino primes with golden iron skin and codpieces shining
>haha more weak sauce
>open up control console again
>type in stalker_dispel.flav+shieldignore.tox
>mfw their iron skin gets nerfed and they get instakilled by toxic damage
>oh crap reinforcements
>they have like 10 akpenbrakktor prime vandal wraith pointed at my head
>haha too bad suckers
>i turn to the side showing them my computer screen
>incognito mode botches
>they &!$$ their frames
>they crawl home while i laugh my booben teslas off
>mfw