Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon Balancing

Avicou

The data I used for this post comes from a wiki post I made last week, which you can read here: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Avicou/Unapologetically_Terrible_Weapons,_and_Their_Place_In_Warframe

This is not about nerfing weapons, or changing how weapons work. This about buffing some weapons that are hardly usable. The most popular candidates for this are currently:

Spectra-Low damage, horrible ammo economy, crippling hard range cap

Silva/Aegis- High stamina consumption, low/inefficient damage

Tigris- Slow reload speed for clip size

If you would like a weapon to be added, give the weapon name and the reasons a buff is needed in the comments. Those that are mentioned repeatedly will be added.  

Rules/restrictions:

-The weapon of choice must NOT be considered a 'beginner' weapon. This excludes the Braton series, the Lato series, the Skana series, and the Cronus from being discussed.

-You must provide factual evidence as to the weapon's inability to perform.

-It can not be a sniper weapon, because there is a buff in the works on those puppies.

-If it is a shotgun, the reasons can not include raw damage, as a buff is in the works for these as well. Other reasons
are eligible because there is a large variety in how shotguns work and that will most likely not be changed.

-Prime Weapons, because they all have normal counterparts(Dakra's is considered the Cronus and Reaper's is considered the Ether Reaper).

Hopefully this will get a gander from DE once a more completed list is compiled. 

EDIT:

Something I forgot to mention: A more liberal use of Mastery Rank locking for weapons would be a nice addition as well. Every new rank unlocks a new set of weapons.
Edited by Avicou

Its hard to do balance when DE are the kind of developers who do powercreep.

I don't think the term applies when a game is in beta, and new content is being added on a regular basis to be a part of the completed game. 

Its not a valid excuse anymore. 

Whether it is or not, we're here to help them see the issues. This is an issue. Do you have plans to contribute a weapon that should be buffed?

Edited by Avicou

The main problem with weapon balancing in warframe now is the amout of guns being added so danm fast with absolutely no organization between tiers.

We have clan tech guns that cost a alot to build and are crap in end game, still other guns that are obtained alot easier and are kinda too strong. Most of them with no lv restriction and the majority of rank restricted guns are not so good.

Repeating, Warframe need more organization between tiers... then we start to debate about buff/nerf.

The main problem with weapon balancing in warframe now is the amout of guns being added so danm fast with absolutely no organization between tiers.

We have clan tech guns that cost a alot to build and are crap in end game, still other guns that are obtained alot easier and are kinda too strong. Most of them with no lv restriction and the majority of rank restricted guns are not so good.

Repeating, Warframe need more organization between tiers... then we start to debate about buff/nerf.

Good point! I did add an amends on the weapon tiering based off of mastery rank last night.

DE, as a whole, has been extremely reluctant, if not outright resistant to doing any sort of balance passes on weaponry. Melee 2.0 still has some imbalances that persist.

I wish DE would do monthly passes on weapons balance, but apparently that's a bit much to ask for, since jack diddly sandskate has been done about it.

All damage scales should have either a falloff, or get diminishing returns from mods.

Stacking as much damage mods as possible should not be the optimal way to build guns, but since it is, it's why we have all these "nerf X" and "boost Y" threads.

If there was a curve limiting all guns at (note I'm pulling numbers out of my rear now) around the 5K mark, topping off at 8K, if you really just try and max them - rather then topping at say 20K - then all the guns could reach potential with enough Forma, and there would be better damage ceilings to scale mobs against.

EvE Online does a very good job with weapon types and damage scaling, based on effective range of weapons, stacking penalties and speed of targets relative to each others. Warframe can't follow that type of mechanics, so it would need to develop better set of it's own, if you want "that" level of balance anyway.

Since I consider "end game" the 30th level missions, then all guns are viable. If you want balance to scale to infinity, then you need a good psychiatrist, because that's impossible. We are mission running Ninjas, not mobile guns in a game of Turret Defense.