The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapons I Want To See In Warframe: Chainblades And (Charging) Lance + Moonsplitter?

Xievie

Well, I guess I thought of another stupid idea for some weapons. Please tell me if you think they are either brilliant or stupid!

They happened to both be in a game I was recently playing, Drakengard 3, but even before I played it I was thinking about posting about weapons like these.

I also apologize in advance, I am awful at explaining ideas I have, so I tried to give some videos as examples.

~~~

Chainblades

I don't know any other names to give them, so I'll call them Chainblades. 

The best way I can describe them are basically Chakram blades attached to chains to be swung.

These weapons would probably have amazing range for a melee weapon and I can also imagine any stances they have providing great mobility with the combos.

Three games that I know that have some form of this are Vindictus, Dragon Nest, and Drakengard 3

Vindictus:

(I'm just gonna link the next two videos instead).

Dragon Nest:

http://youtu.be/hsd4RFSmIyA?t=12s

Drakengard 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADtAnOcswpI

And this is an image of how they look in Vindictus.

http://nxcache.nexon.net/spotlight/196/00Gyq-55d1a937-8458-4248-877f-bcc8e7d20c9c.png

I just love how much area they they cover when swung.

~~~

Lance

My idea mostly came from a specific idea of an attack, not the weapons themselves. Basically, attacks where you charge at the enemy with a Lance and it deals muliple hits as you keep running. Your character just doesn't drop after hitting them, just keeps going as much as they physically can or when they decide to stop.

It's a bit funny to watch in Drakengard 3 because you can basically juggle an enemy as your keep knocking an enemy back.

Two games that I know have some form of this are Dark Souls 2 and Drakengard 3:

(I'm going to link both of them instead since you have to skip to a specific part of a video to see what I want).

Drakengard 3:

http://youtu.be/nidL0SnehVU?t=52s

Dark Souls 2:

http://youtu.be/avxFPqdDBJ8?t=43s

~~~

EDIT: New Idea, some thing kinda like this from Vindictus.

Moonsplitter was a fun attack that you could continuously use if you held down the button. It did insane damage as long as your stamina allowed you to keep using it, but the class that used this attack was very risky to play because they drained their own health to increase damage, and had only a decent way to dodge attacks.

Just a quick suggestion I wanted to add though.

I'm sure this attack has been in other games, but I only found it in Vindictus. This actually DOES exist in Warframe as the Polearm's attack (specifically when you are quickmeleeing while holding a primary or secondary), but it is not too viable. But I wouldn't mind if we got a stance to make it viable.

I just like the idea of a way to do a continuous attack.

If we DID get this into the game, I think that you should have to start it a few attacks into a combo rather than starting it up any time so that you don't get to instantly use it. The range should also be fairly short as you begin continuously swinging it, then the range will increase the longer you use it until it reaches max range.

~~~

Again, sorry for my messy thread, I hope you understood what kind of weapon I wanted to see. What do you think about it? Cool? Stupid?

Edited by Xievie

What would distinguish a chainblade from whips?

As far as I know, they're wielded identically, and are all "tipped". Heck the whips we have right now could be called chainblades anyway! (that's what I think).

Not gonna say much about lances, because:

-We have staves and polearms (i'm sure lances are a type of polearm anyway)

-You're suggesting a particular attack/move with it.

All I will say for lance is that it should drain stamina, and stop rushing when it runs out (like sprinting is now), but quicker.

Sorry that I made you guys think of blades with a chainsaw when I mentioend Chainblades, lol.

What would distinguish a chainblade from whips?

As far as I know, they're wielded identically, and are all "tipped". Heck the whips we have right now could be called chainblades anyway! (that's what I think).

Not gonna say much about lances, because:

-We have staves and polearms (i'm sure lances are a type of polearm anyway)

-You're suggesting a particular attack/move with it.

All I will say for lance is that it should drain stamina, and stop rushing when it runs out (like sprinting is now), but quicker.

Well, for the Chainblade, you'd swing it for the blade to hit the enemy rather than the chain, so I guess that's the big difference. 

The blade makes it so that there are a few more ways you could with a whip due to it's weight. Much like in the Vindictus, you can kind of throw the Chainblade out forward while Whips swung.

Even though I'm suggesting a particular move with the lance suggestion, I don't think any of the weapons we have would make much sense with it, and I don't think we need another stance for any existing weapons, that's why I liked the idea of this as a whole new weapon type.

Spears are an area of melee weapons that haven't been introduced yet in Warframe. Could be something for DE to consider, we don't have many puncture weapons to begin with.

Yeah, I was thinking that too, and that was one of the reasons why I want this kind of weapon (even though I forgot to mention it in my first post). I just don't want some boring weapons you stab with regularly, that's pretty boring. You can use a spear or rapier and whatever to poke, but charging would be kind of fun.

screw the lance from DS2, I hate that weapon type

I understand why you would hate it in Dark Souls 2, it is kind of cheap when someone knows how to properly use it (and even unexperienced players can get a lot out of it too).

Edited by Xievie

Well, for the Chainblade, you'd swing it for the blade to hit the enemy rather than the chain, so I guess that's the big difference. 

The blade makes it so that there are a few more ways you could with a whip due to it's weight. Much like in the Vindictus, you can kind of throw the Chainblade out forward while Whips swung.

Thing is, the current whips in this game are already tipped with weights. Also, the Guided Claw combo in the burning wasp stance is effectively the "thrust" attack you mentioned there.

Put together, and they're basically the same thing. Reminds me of Wired Lances in PSO2, which can also do grab moves.

Grab moves

I want them.

EDIT: But Dual-whips (or chainblades, if you must) of some kind would be cool.

Edited by Syzodia

Hybrid javelin-lances. I could live behind that.

How do you suppose that would work though?

Javelins seem like they would be a Primary or Secondary because you'd probably have an ammo pool to throw. Unlike Glaives, I doubt a Javlance would bounce back into your hands since it's probably a piercing weapon.

How do you suppose that would work though?

Javelins seem like they would be a Primary or Secondary because you'd probably have an ammo pool to throw. Unlike Glaives, I doubt a Javlance would bounce back into your hands since it's probably a piercing weapon.

A hybrid of ammo (Sniper ammo) and melee weapon, where the last one converts to a melee weapon until more ammo is obtained (or when the player does Quick Melee or when the player equips the Melee weapon). 

Basically, it takes up two slots in exchange for functioning as two different weapon types. 

Thing is, the current whips in this game are already tipped with weights. Also, the Guided Claw combo in the burning wasp stance is effectively the "thrust" attack you mentioned there.

Put together, and they're basically the same thing. Reminds me of Wired Lances in PSO2, which can also do grab moves.

Grab moves

I want them.

EDIT: But Dual-whips (or chainblades, if you must) of some kind would be cool.

I guess I'm beat and trying too hard on wanting it as a new weapon...

It just doesn't feel like they would be the same though. One difference is that the Chakrams/Chainblades are held by, well, the Chakram/Chainblades. A whip has a handle/hilt that you hold it by.

I also feel like it would be lazy for them to make my idea and slap it on to the whip family. It feels just as disgraceful as games that reuse enemy and boss skins throughout the whole game (Vindictus does this, lol. You see some early-game enemies and bosses as reskins).

I can't shake the feeling that my idea and whips should be different weapons, though.

A hybrid of ammo (Sniper ammo) and melee weapon, where the last one converts to a melee weapon until more ammo is obtained (or when the player does Quick Melee or when the player equips the Melee weapon).

Basically, it takes up two slots in exchange for functioning as two different weapon types.

I... kinda like the idea of that... Not the idea of merging a Lance and Javelin (I'm neutral on that) but havin two weapons in one slot. That seems bery interesting.

HOWEVER, in a fast paced game like Warframe Javelins would make no sense to just be thrown. I don't want them thrown at insane and unrealistic speeds either. Kunai and other thrown secondaries are fine because they are small, not Javelins.

My idea is to make Javelins detonatable explosives as well. Basically a non-bouncy Penta.

Edited by Xievie

I guess I'm beat and trying too hard on wanting it as a new weapon...

It just doesn't feel like they would be the same though. One difference is that the Chakrams/Chainblades are held by, well, the Chakram/Chainblades. A whip has a handle/hilt that you hold it by.

I also feel like it would be lazy for them to make my idea and slap it on to the whip family. It feels just as disgraceful as games that reuse enemy and boss skins throughout the whole game (Vindictus does this, lol. You see some early-game enemies and bosses as reskins).

I can't shake the feeling that my idea and whips should be different weapons, though.

That's actually a really key difference I didn't think about....

Sure it might be lazy, but they're already reaaallly similar, so making it a new category is kind of like having duplicate categories (then again, we already have swords & machetes, both of which are practically wielded the same, as far as I know.)

However,

Thinking about quick melee now, I'm starting to agree with you. I was initially in the stance that this could be implemented simply by changing how the whips are used, via stance mod (pun intended), but quick melee strikes aren't affected by stance mods, so this could actually work as a new weapon class (e.g. quick melee could be like what dual swords are currently, but melee mode would have more whip like behaviour).

Edited by Syzodia

I... kinda like the idea of that... Not the idea of merging a Lance and Javelin (I'm neutral on that) but havin two weapons in one slot. That seems bery interesting.

HOWEVER, in a fast paced game like Warframe Javelins would make no sense to just be thrown. I don't want them thrown at insane and unrealistic speeds either. Kunai and other thrown secondaries are fine because they are small, not Javelins.

My idea is to make Javelins detonatable explosives as well. Basically a non-bouncy Penta.

Maybe (but then again, javelins are high burst damage anyways [well, you are piercing someone's vital organs with it], so there is that to justify the slower projectile speed). As for non-bouncy detonatable explosives, we already have the Castanas acting somewhat like that. Maybe something else, like a small floor hazard. 

And I like weapons that have multi-purpose functions, such as being able to swap into different weapon modes, for convenience and versatility. 

Maybe (but then again, javelins are high burst damage anyways [well, you are piercing someone's vital organs with it], so there is that to justify the slower projectile speed). As for non-bouncy detonatable explosives, we already have the Castanas acting somewhat like that. Maybe something else, like a small floor hazard. 

And I like weapons that have multi-purpose functions, such as being able to swap into different weapon modes, for convenience and versatility.

I don't like the idea of a weapon dealing so much damage that it ends up "justifying slower projectile launching and speed". It either is seen as OP for it's insane damage or so slow that it can't compete with top tier weapons at high levels.

And I don't want Javelins becoming another Bow/Ogris type of charged weapon.

One idea is looking at the Cleric from Dragon Nest being able to summon these kind of cross things from the ground. They either healed or shot lighting in pulses.

I imagined the Javelins sticking in the ground and pulsating fire, electricity, poison, and any other elemental mod installed in.

This would be hard to make effective, of course. The actual hit from the Javelin will deal damage, probably piercing damage, but the pulses will probably be pure elemental like the Ignis and Amprex.

I'd hate to have to build it based on the elemental pulses OR the actual throw. Having both probably isn't viable in terms of scaling.

I really like this idea. I know I'm straying off the topic of my other weapons, but I like this one too.

I don't like the idea of a weapon dealing so much damage that it ends up "justifying slower projectile launching and speed". It either is seen as OP for it's insane damage or so slow that it can't compete with top tier weapons at high levels.

And I don't want Javelins becoming another Bow/Ogris type of charged weapon.

How would you charge a Javelin throw anyways (apart from storing chemical potential energy and making it all kinetic energy in a quick motion)?

One idea is looking at the Cleric from Dragon Nest being able to summon these kind of cross things from the ground. They either healed or shot lighting in pulses.

I imagined the Javelins sticking in the ground and pulsating fire, electricity, poison, and any other elemental mod installed in.

This would be hard to make effective, of course. The actual hit from the Javelin will deal damage, probably piercing damage, but the pulses will probably be pure elemental like the Ignis and Amprex.

I'd hate to have to build it based on the elemental pulses OR the actual throw. Having both probably isn't viable in terms of scaling.

Or we have javelins, when thrown on the ground instead of piercing an enemy, explode visually after one second on the ground, and spread out caltrops for enemies to step in and take damage over time (puncture damage). 

After all, I am combining both the javelin and the lance, so it would have room for storing some of the caltrops. 

How would you charge a Javelin throw anyways (apart from storing chemical potential energy and making it all kinetic energy in a quick motion)?

Or we have javelins, when thrown on the ground instead of piercing an enemy, explode visually after one second on the ground, and spread out caltrops for enemies to step in and take damage over time (puncture damage). 

After all, I am combining both the javelin and the lance, so it would have room for storing some of the caltrops.

I am a horrible person to explain this, but the charging of a Javelin would be the focus and aim before throwing it. Throwing a weapon at random when not in some sort of aiming stance may result in inaccuracy. I guess that's kinda what I mean.

The Caltrop idea is interesting, but hazards seem a bit weird in a fast paced game like Warframe. I don't know.

Also, heading to bed for the night, will definitely respond to any new posts in this thread tomorrow. It's kind of fun discussing this stuff and I'm getting some great other ideas as well.

I am a horrible person to explain this, but the charging of a Javelin would be the focus and aim before throwing it. Throwing a weapon at random when not in some sort of aiming stance may result in inaccuracy. I guess that's kinda what I mean.

That would not be as much as charging than just taking your time to aim. 

The Caltrop idea is interesting, but hazards seem a bit weird in a fast paced game like Warframe. I don't know.

Well, there are Napalm shots and Mutalist Osprey clouds, so probably.