Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Do People Use Heavy Caliber On Precision Weapons?

GravesTheOutlaw

Question

It's obvious that some weapons simply do not care for heavy caliber and are still more than accurate enough with it equipped at max rank (Boltor Prime, Lanka, Penta, etc.).  However, I see people all the time taking precision rifles, slapping a Heavy Caliber onto them, and claiming that it works.  

Currently I'm experimenting with a max Heavy Caliber on Latron Prime and I don't believe the people who post builds all over with max Heavy Calibers on it actually play the weapon.  I've tried it and the accuracy past short range is abominable.  I cannot reliable hit headshots 50% of the time at 20 meters, and at 30 meters sometimes the 2 bullets (multishot) don't even hit the body of my target.

Am I just an outlier when it comes to caring about accuracy or does everyone use precision rifles like shotguns nowadays?

Edited by GravesTheOutlaw

20 answers to this question

Mines 2 from the top and I can still hit targets accurately. And the damage boost is large enough that I don't really worry about hitting the head since they are so powerful.

My latron easily hits the spawn points in void defense and the boltor can do the same.

There's really no need for me to be able to shoot farther since there aren't that many large open spaces in this game.

Edited by immolator1001

Well i dont use it, becuase lets say, orgis, the missle may hit the ground right in front of you and kill you while with split chamber the other missile goes up. And with corpus weapons, the projectiles are so slow, heavy cailbur will screw the gun up. But penta with heavy calibur should not affect the projection, as for boltor prime, that gun is dang accurant for a high force, speed, and dps weapon heavy calibur i suggest should be used on it. And use mirage with that you get a barrage.

If you become familiar with an inaccurate weapon's cone of fire, putting on heavy caliber won't negatively affect you as much as you think it would. I

You bring up a good point, I think my title has been misunderstood.

Title corrected to separate precision rifles like Latron Prime/Burston Prime from guns that are intended to be inaccurate like the Grakata and Supra.

Mines 2 from the top and I can still hit targets accurately. And the damage boost is large enough that I don't really worry about hitting the head since they are so powerful.

My latron easily hits the spawn points in void defense and the boltor can do the same.

There's really no need for me to be able to shoot farther since there aren't that many large open spaces in this game.

I may try this.  Currently with a Max Heavy Caliber my Latron Prime is more inaccurate than the Boltor Prime.  It would be ironic if I wasn't already aware that the Boltor Prime's accuracy is affected by space magic.

It basically turns a weapon into a shotgun. You get right in people's faces and spray. We're mobile enough for this to be a valid strategy. 

The problem is I like to play endless missions from time to time (read: T4 Survival) where I'd like to keep my distance from heavy gunners and MOA's if they're not CC'd.

Edited by GravesTheOutlaw

Its ok to use it on large magazine weapons like the Soma, were accuracy isn't always needed, but I would never use it on a sniper or bow.  Currently mine is at 50% and if I get another I will increase it with no risk

I do , I dont see a problem with accuracy especially with split chamber I always hit.

The problem with this is that the second shot from split chamber doesn't hit the same target the first one does (head) which leads to a huge loss of damage.

Does HC function differently on different weapons?  I equipped a Flux Rifle with a Rank 4 HC and the only noticeable difference was that the beam had a slight, insignificant, jitter to it, instead of being perfectly accurate.

Yes.  On some weapons like the Boltor Prime and Lanka there difference is negligible.  On weapons like the Supra the spread will widen to something akin to a shotgun.

The problem with this is that the second shot from split chamber doesn't hit the same target the first one does (head) which leads to a huge loss of damage.

even without it its not that bad, probably because I dont aim at pin point. but its just how I adjusted to using it. 

Weapons like the Penta can take a maxed Heavy Caliber and you will only barely notice a difference, in the end it's even better because the two grenades that will split up will give you a bigger range, most of the time both explosions will still hit the enemy and the huge damage boost makes up for any enemy you might miss.

Another thing you can do:

Just keep multiple Heavy Calibers for different weapons, on some weapons a low ranked one won't be really noticeable.

Weapons I use HC on:

Ignis, Synapse, Amprex (Continuous weapons)

Penta (/w SC covers a larger area)

Boltor Prime (Not aiming for headshots or at a distance regardless)

Lanka (Only for AoE build b.c damage scales off of base).

And that's it. For everything else it's better to aim for headshots.

I use a R8 Heavy Cal with Split Chamber on my Paris Prime, and although there is less consistency in me hitting targets, from nearly 100% of my shots landing on the spot to somewhere around 85-90%, I find the damage increase justifies this enough for me.

9d2e6037b8.jpg

I use a R8 Heavy Cal with Split Chamber on my Paris Prime, and although there is less consistency in me hitting targets, from nearly 100% of my shots landing on the spot to somewhere around 85-90%, I find the damage increase justifies this enough for me.

Installing Infected Clip in place of Heavy Caliber will increase your damage considerably.

First off, its a static damage increase of 47.3%. But it also converts your elemental to Corrosive, which gives you +75% to Ferrite/Ancients. So really its increasing elemental damage from 190% to 415%, an increase of +118%.

HCal, on the other hand, is only increasing damage by (assuming you max Serration) 51%. 

So adding Infected Clip would increase damage by 44.6% without losing any accuracy. Even if we ignore the elemental bonus, it's still only a 2.5% damage reduction to keep that perfect accuracy.

Edited by Darzk

Another thing you can do:

Just keep multiple Heavy Calibers for different weapons, on some weapons a low ranked one won't be really noticeable.

In my opinion having a low ranked (let's assume 5) heavy caliber is pointless on some weapons.  On my Latron Prime I get 1200 more DPS, but I lose its stellar accuracy and about 20% status chance.  My corrosive damage also barely increases, it's the IPS that gets most of the benefit.  I'm not a fan of IPS procs (maybe impact), the only benefit I'd get is the puncture bonus vs. Grineer armor (since the bonus scales up the more armor they have).