Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excalibur - A Blunt Edge (Rethinking Warframe Series)

AlvaroXDM

Hello everyone!

I'm doing a series of warframe reworks/ideas. I'd like to hear what you think of it. Soon I'll post the other links in the series so you can give me feedback! Hope you enjoy it!

Exalibur concept resolves around melee. It's supposed to be a "sword based warframe", hence the name, the sharp look in his forehead, etc. It's not that hard to understand Excalibur should dash around and throw javelins all around while using his favourite sword to wreak havoc among his foes.

First of all - since several warframes (either failing or succeeding) resolve around melee (Valkyr, Ash, Rhino and even, in a way, Volt) Excalibur should have something unique to him. Something that makes his gameplay in particular different to all the rest.

The actual skills: 

Slash dash -  a dash that deals damage to enemies it passes through, being a DPS skill as much as a utility one

Radial blind - a utility skill meant to give Excalibur a chance to fight his way against enemies when running to them in melee.

Super jump - a utility skill useful for escaping enemies, reaching unreachable spaces, and triggering heavy impact.

Radial javelin - a generic damage dealing skill, meant to incapacitate enemies while dealing heavy damage.

Slash dash: As it is, it's a skill that has utility and damage, I personally like it quite a lot. I would tweak it to be influenced by melee. This way, your sword would actually be the one slashing your enemies (this would make melee more profitable, AND makes way more sense lol). I personally like the utility of the skill, and it's a good think you can choose between increasing range or damage. There is something I would also tweak though, this skill, much like Zephyr's tailwind, should be able to have several cast possibilities, making Super Jump useless and thus, leaving free a spot for a new skill. Maybe just casting it where your cursor is looking, if you're in the ground, you'll dash forward. If you're jumping, you'll dash in the direction and angle of your cursor.

Radial blind: A nice skill to have for a melee character. It comes extremely useful to go close-quarters just as to gain extra survival when you are already over your enemies. Yet, due to it's cost, it's not really spammable, and I believe a skill like this should, in combination with Slash Dash, become Excalibur's "signature". You would dash to close distances, and then blind to incapacitate enemies. The cost and range should be reduced, the max energy cost should be 35, and the range should be about 14 meters. Maybe reducing the duration of the blind (15 seconds is quite a lot for something that's not a trap) and reducing it's energy even further to 25?

Super jump: As I said in Slash Dash, his first skill could replace super jump completely, leaving him with a spare slot in Super Jump. I would personally switch Radial Javelin, reducing it's damage and number of javelins, to make it fair for a 3rd skill.

Radial javelin:Now that this skill would occupy the place of the 3rd skill, we could make an ultimate that instead of just dealing massive damage, would add uniqueness to Excalibur. I thought about a "stance" skill, that you could keep active and came up with two different ideas:

1) A skill "boost" - it would boost the power of your other skills, making Slash Dash faster, and with a longer reach. Reducing Radial blind's energy cost, and making Radial Javelin deal higher damage.

2) A melee mechanic boost. By this, unlike other frames (Like Valkyr's melee "override", or plain melee boosts), Excalibur could tweak melee mechanics to become more adept at survival as well as damage. For example, reducing considerably (or removing) stamina cost for blocking. Giving him a certain chance to counterattack (Or increasing finisher moves damage considerably). Or giving mele channeling efficiency (This would be like a way of "awakening Excalibur's powers")

Hope you liked the suggestions!

I think the fact that you didn't even bother thinking about rethinking Super Jump makes me sad. DE would want all abilities to be used and yes there are players who use all abilities on there frames.

It'd be interesting if Slash Dash would be based off the type of melee you're using. Like a heavy, bigger range but shorter duration. Daggers having shorter range but longer duration.

Not really fond of the replacement for Javelin because it sounds meh for a 4th skill. Maybe if the counter caused a Slash Dash than that's cool but it sounds meh because nobody actually bothers with blocking or finishers.

I think the fact that you didn't even bother thinking about rethinking Super Jump makes me sad. DE would want all abilities to be used and yes there are players who use all abilities on there frames.

It'd be interesting if Slash Dash would be based off the type of melee you're using. Like a heavy, bigger range but shorter duration. Daggers having shorter range but longer duration.

Not really fond of the replacement for Javelin because it sounds meh for a 4th skill. Maybe if the counter caused a Slash Dash than that's cool but it sounds meh because nobody actually bothers with blocking or finishers.

^This.. i am one of those players i like having all the abilities 

DE have mentioned they're going to be introducing generic abilities that all frames can use. If that's the case, I'd totally love to see Super Jump become one of those generics, it's perfect for it.

I like the idea of a 'stance' skill but it shouldn't be a replacement for Radial Javelin, that's got to remain his 4th no matter what. A skill which buffs Excalibur's own skills (and his allies, too! Like Rhino's Roar!) would be pretty damn cool, all told.

Nice to meet you. We are in the same category. 

Well, look at that, so am I!

Btw, super jump is pretty useful for getting around, and combined with the knockdown on landing skill (forget the name) it makes for pretty good CC too!

The one thing I'd like on Excalibur (being melee-themed as the OP noted) is more stamina (80 is pretty low for a melee focused frame...).

Actually, with Radial Javelin, I do like the damage and such every now and then (it is satisfying to see dead enemies flying away, pinned to the wall), but I do understand with infinite scaling, it would start to fall off. 

My idea to tweak it a bit is having around 1.0m Punch Through (so Shield Lancer shields and thin can still be attacked through). All enemies that have been stabbed by the javelins will still fly off (living or dead), with living ones having a struggling-to-get-free animation (i.e.: Will not shoot) when they are pinned to a surface until the javelin disintegrates. Dead enemies still have the current ragdoll flyoff animation. 

Actually, with Radial Javelin, I do like the damage and such every now and then (it is satisfying to see dead enemies flying away, pinned to the wall), but I do understand with infinite scaling, it would start to fall off. 

My idea to tweak it a bit is having around 1.0m Punch Through (so Shield Lancer shields and thin can still be attacked through). All enemies that have been stabbed by the javelins will still fly off (living or dead), with living ones having a struggling-to-get-free animation (i.e.: Will not shoot) when they are pinned to a surface until the javelin disintegrates. Dead enemies still have the current ragdoll flyoff animation.

Radial Javelin should be affected by combo, melee weapon and channeling.

Replacing his 4th with whatever you suggested would be considered more of a utility skill.

I personally find Excaliber fine the way he is. I just want to see Slash Dash deal a 100% proc to slash damage to give it some utility other than just damage itself. Radial Blind could use a tweak to the amount of time enemies are blinded and since they're stunned in a way, enemies could also be open to an instant counter like Valkyrs Paralysis and Ashs Teleport.

Super Jump can already be remedied with Heavy Impact which makes it very useful for weapons like the Scindo that have large ground slams, even better when Super Jump only costs 10 energy.

I like where Radial Javelin is at, but it could do with a proc to puncture damage or even give them innate punch through to go through mutiple enemies.

Excaliber just needs tweaks, not a rework.

Edited by __Kanade__

That's pretty much the idea. Nobody does. Let's put them back in the game.

Super jump only has a role, that is easily fullfilled by a slash dash that go in the direction of the jump. So yeah, I don't think it's necesary if you have that skill with more utility.

But I do want the combo reset timer to pause during the execution of the Radial Javelin if that is implemented, so that Excalibur can still flow from that to back to melee. 

That would be really nice!

Replacing his 4th with whatever you suggested would be considered more of a utility skill.

I personally find Excaliber fine the way he is. I just want to see Slash Dash deal a 100% proc to slash damage to give it some utility other than just damage itself. Radial Blind could use a tweak to the amount of time enemies are blinded and since they're stunned in a way, enemies could also be open to an instant counter like Valkyrs Paralysis and Ashs Teleport.

Super Jump can already be remedied with Heavy Impact which makes it very useful for weapons like the Scindo that have large ground slams, even better when Super Jump only costs 10 energy.

I like where Radial Javelin is at, but it could do with a proc to puncture damage or even give them innate punch through to go through mutiple enemies.

Excaliber just needs tweaks, not a rework.

You do know that there a lot of weapons that can't trigger the groun slam with heavy impact, no? :( It kinda makes that pretty useless. Yet, by gaining altitutude with slash dash, it would fill exactly the same role.

Yes - I do like thinking of different ultimates, not just "I touch 4 and everything dies". I think Valkyr's hysteria way more interesting than just generic cleaners with a different animation :) so that was kind of the idea !

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Not a bad idea, and it would be usefull to finish off those that are still alive with your swords :P I like it! Gonna add to the edit!

^This.. i am one of those players i like having all the abilities 

Well, look at that, so am I!

Btw, super jump is pretty useful for getting around, and combined with the knockdown on landing skill (forget the name) it makes for pretty good CC too!

The one thing I'd like on Excalibur (being melee-themed as the OP noted) is more stamina (80 is pretty low for a melee focused frame...).

Just like I did said, it's not leaving the ability out. Is making it inside another one. That way, you can use slash dash for damage, distance coverage, or exactly the same use Super Jump has. Leaving a slot for further customization. I like to use all abilities, but there are certain effects that are unnecesary to have in a spare slot. Super jump, while I believe the mechanic comes handy and is pretty useful, it really isn't that much of a skill as I like to think of. Versatility in skills is crucial, I thought the tweak in Slash Dash would add versatility, and leave the slot of Super Jump, that honestly, a skill that always requires a mod to have an effect, (and due to the max height it isn't even that much of an effect) isn't a great skill :(.

DE have mentioned they're going to be introducing generic abilities that all frames can use. If that's the case, I'd totally love to see Super Jump become one of those generics, it's perfect for it.

I like the idea of a 'stance' skill but it shouldn't be a replacement for Radial Javelin, that's got to remain his 4th no matter what. A skill which buffs Excalibur's own skills (and his allies, too! Like Rhino's Roar!) would be pretty damn cool, all told.

That would be amazing! Looking forward to it! Yes, it's a skill that has nothing to do with a specific frame design, or anything. It's just useful, and could be used by all frames alike!

Just like I did said, it's not leaving the ability out. Is making it inside another one. That way, you can use slash dash for damage, distance coverage, or exactly the same use Super Jump has. Leaving a slot for further customization. I like to use all abilities, but there are certain effects that are unnecesary to have in a spare slot. Super jump, while I believe the mechanic comes handy and is pretty useful, it really isn't that much of a skill as I like to think of. Versatility in skills is crucial, I thought the tweak in Slash Dash would add versatility, and leave the slot of Super Jump, that honestly, a skill that always requires a mod to have an effect, (and due to the max height it isn't even that much of an effect) isn't a great skill :(.

It would force me to look up instead of being able to keep shooting at whatever the hell I'm shooting at. Which would be manageable with a mouse (albeit annoying) but would pretty much impossible to pull off decently on a controller (which seems to be DEs focus, see the recent UI changes). I'll agree the skill is fairly lacklustre compared to Zephyr's version, but I'd rather have utility added (eg. add the kockdown or some other effect into Super Jump) than have the skill removed entirely.

More generally I personally feel that the basic ideas of the skills of most Warframes should be left alone, most of them can be made useful/desirable with tuning without having to rip them out and replace them with different ones entirely and I'm convinced it'd be pretty hard to come up with skills that literally nobody is using (there are even people that like Nyx's Psychic Bolts, of all things).

On top of that the usefulness of a lot of skills depends a lot on the individual playstyle of the player (one man's trash etc).

(On another note, the "generic skills" at first sight sound like a terrible idea diluting the personality of the different frames.

To stay on the subject of this thread, if there were a generic skill that added something more desirable than Super Jump, like, say, some form of self-heal, that would just kill the ability, a big part of the fun of acquiring new Warframes is learning to make the most of their abilities, no matter how useless some of them might seem at first.

I fear that having generic abilities will just make it so that instead of people adjusting to the playstyle of the individual frames they will adjust the frames to conform to their playstyle, which in the long run will likely mean we'll end up a generic shooter with big nuke powers since everybody will keep on playing as if they never got past the newbie stage of shooting things and spamming Pull [arguably, quite a few people never get past this stage, but it certainly won't help])

Edited by marelooke

AlvaroXDM, on 30 Jul 2014 - 03:01 AM, said:AlvaroXDM, on 30 Jul 2014 - 03:01 AM, said:

You do know that there a lot of weapons that can't trigger the groun slam with heavy impact, no? :( It kinda makes that pretty useless. Yet, by gaining altitutude with slash dash, it would fill exactly the same role.

Yes - I do like thinking of different ultimates, not just "I touch 4 and everything dies". I think Valkyr's hysteria way more interesting than just generic cleaners with a different animation :) so that was kind of the idea !

Super Jump is usefull to avoid getting cluster fked by enemies and one of very few abilities that isn't affected by scaling other than getting a higher jump height with each rank, which makes it a perfect 'endgame' ability to use. It's helpful for giving Excaliber the high ground when he needs it the most. It's just as useful to me as Radial Blind, Slash Dash and Radial Javelin are.

That's why I just want to see a possible 100% proc slash rates for Slash Dash and Radial Javelin to give them some more lethality to help futher weaken enemies if they aren't killed outright on the first go.

Excaliber really needs more tweaks to his current skill set rather than redos and changing out skills that are deemed 'useless' because players don't know how to use them, so they see it as something that needs to go.

Super Jump is just as talked about as Iron Skin, both seen as useless to some, useful to others but needs some fixes and such, or balanced to the rest.

Edited by __Kanade__