Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Quanta Feedback

Pbrandon1

its ok if you like combat assault rifles with a grenade launcher. its about 10 points of ammo for the slow moveing hovering mine grenade with small AOE. the main fireing is a moderatly fast laser with ok damage. tho i would put in rifle ammo mutation to help keep the ammo going.

Guest Tehnoobshow

Can you shoot the energy ball to make it explode faster? I thought the main fire was a continuous laser (from the video)? Is it hitscan or projectile?

Split Chamber and quantas second fire mode are bugged. The cube will explode in your face.

does it hurt you?

Sounds like something Trinity would've used before getting ner---revised. Or Equilibrium-Nekros when he needs energy and has all these delicious health orbs laying around.

Edited by ScorpDK

Split Chamber and quantas second fire mode are bugged. The cube will explode in your face.

Really? The Quanta in the video looked like it spat out two orbs at once, likely from Split Chamber. Or has DE reached a new low when it comes to not bugtesting the obvious?

couldnt we fix/buff the spectra and flux rifle before introducing another 'industrial tool energy beam converted into weapons' into the game ??

redundant and repetitive borefest, why would players want to invest in or even rank up weak continuous beam weapons which are basically all the same 

*sigh*

rehashed pogo stick 1st never worked proper either this doesnt surpise me in the least that its broke.I for 1 will never buy this

Are they running out of weapon ideas? Are using same models for weapons going to be the new thing?

I like my weapons to actually look like weapons not childrens toys :(

Edited by SnakePlisskinn

So my quanta isn't max rank yet but I'm enjoying it so far.  I doubt it'll be the next big thing for dps but I like having the versatility of decent primary fire and explosive alt fire without needing to weapon swap.

Pros:

Primary fire appears to have infinite range, or at least it can fire much further than other beam weapons

Extremely slow fire rate (1 ammo per second) yet decent damage on the primary fire (220 electric), making it very ammo efficient

Alt fire only costs 10 ammo (vs mutalist version of 15) and can be detonated on command with primary fire

Alt fire detonations do NOT hurt self or team

Cons:

Split Chamber with the alt fire causes the cubes to detonate immediately (hopefully a bug)

Edited by Falchoin

Can you shoot the energy ball to make it explode faster? I thought the main fire was a continuous laser (from the video)? Is it hitscan or projectile?

Yes to the first question and it is a continuous laser as well. You can right click fire and actually have more than 2 boxes out, you can have like 5 or so before reloading, and you can S#&$ them to explode in a massive AOE. So far it seems to be really strong, and its actually fun. Way better than the Mutalist Quanta. 

Guest Tehnoobshow

So my quanta isn't max rank yet but I'm enjoying it so far.  I doubt it'll be the next big thing for dps but I like having the versatility of decent primary fire and explosive alt fire without needing to weapon swap.

Pros:

Primary fire appears to have infinite range, or at least it can fire much further than other beam weapons

Extremely slow fire rate (1 ammo per second) yet decent damage on the primary fire (220 electric), making it very ammo efficient

Alt fire only costs 10 ammo (vs mutalist version of 15) and can be detonated on command with primary fire

Alt fire detonations do NOT hurt self or team

Cons:

Split Chamber with the alt fire causes the cubes to detonate immediately (hopefully a bug)

Wait, it deals 220 damage per second??! That's higher than the Synapse(180dps)! If it weren't so ugly I'd definitely say it's power creep.

Wait, it deals 220 damage per second??! That's higher than the Synapse(180dps)! If it weren't so ugly I'd definitely say it's power creep.

I'd say less dps than Synapse since it's only got a 10% crit chance for 2x damage and 10%/sec status chance.

I'd say less dps than Synapse since it's only got a 10% crit chance for 2x damage and 10%/sec status chance.

Actually, I'm not sure that it is less dps.

The Synapse fires at a rate of 10 rounds/sec, each dealing 12 electricity damage w/ a 50% crit chance at 2x base crit damage. If you do some quick multiplication, the effective base dps is around 240, higher than the Quanta's 220.

However, to compare them more accurately, the Quanta has a 220 base electricity damage w/ a 10% crit chance and 2x base crit damage, which gives it an effective dps of 264. I'll have to see how it operates, however, to figure out how frequently it's able to crit- on continuous weapons that gets kinda confusing, so on the Quanta it would always be more of a diceroll, especially when the Synapse can get consistent crits (and even red crits) when you slap on Point Strike.

EDIT: Completely forgot to take the damage you miss when critting into account, simply stacking the damage on without really thinking about it. A more apt comparison would put the Synapse at a base dps of 180 and the Quanta at a base dps of 242 (math courtesy of Pythadragon). This means that the Quanta will have a more reliable damage output fresh out-of-the-box, but the Synapse will have massively better scaling with the appropriate crit mods. I'm still not sure where that puts the two weapons in relation to each other, but this is a more accurate comparison for base dps.

Another thing to consider is its continuous dps-- the Quanta, firing at a rate of 1 round/sec, takes a full minute to get through its magazine if you don't use the explosion cubes (which, for this, we'll ignore). The Synapse, however, will get through its full magazine in 10 seconds. While the reload speed of the Quanta is slightly higher than that of the Synapse, the Synapse will have to reload much more frequently (again, assuming that the Quanta isn't firing explosion cubes). While the Quanta takes a full minute to unleash its magazine (plus two seconds after that reload), the Synapse will have to reload six times to match it, for a total of 9 extra seconds. That's 7 more than the Quanta, which is pretty considerable when it comes to continuous dps.

The Synapse does, however, have the rest of its insane crit to contend with. With a maxed-out Point Strike, its crit chance is 125%, meaning that 1/4 of the time, you're dealing red crits added onto the regular crits. With a maxed out Vital Sense, its base crit damage goes from 2x to 4.4x, which can be increased with Hammer Shot. However, that does take up two mod slots that the Quanta can use for other means, so the Synapse's advantage in crits doesn't entirely weigh on its side. I'm feeling a bit lazy to actually calculate the final damage comparison between the weapons, so I'll probably end up doing that later- for now, I'll stick to them being comparable in terms of damage.

However, utility should also be taken into account. With the Quanta's slow firing rate, not only is it able to preserve ammo better, but it can more easily abuse mods like Speed Trigger (and potentially Shred, though I haven't seen how the Quanta does with Punch Through). The Synapse will eat through ammo much more quickly when using Speed Trigger and will require more constant reloading, something that can end up being a hassle and difficult to deal with despite the potential increase in dps.

As a matter of proc'ing, I believe the last point puts the Quanta slightly in favor of the Synapse. While the Synapse has a stat chance of 10% per second (at least, I'm pretty sure it's per second and not per round), the Quanta matches it with its own 10% proc chance per second, which can be greatly enhanced with Speed Trigger and event mods that the Synapse may or may not have room for, depending on your build.

All of this, of course, takes into account average damages and values. This means that while the Quanta has more consistent dps, the Synapse does have a chance for a higher or lower dps depending on your luck.

That being said, it's difficult for me to accurately say which one is "better" at this point. The Quanta's explosion cubes haven't been taken into account at all, and that just seems like an added bonus to the Quanta, which also seems to have a longer range than most continuous-fire weapons. Then again, the Quanta's alt-fire makes that accuracy less appealing because it struggles to take full advantage of it without using the zoom function.

DISCLAIMER: My math here is very simplified and, notably, done at 3 AM in the morning. These numbers may be slightly skewed but should be close enough to the Real Thing to make a fairly accurate comparison.

Edited by CaptainJohnson

To Cap'nJ, it's waaay less damage than Synapse, even accounting for the fact my Synapse is stuffed with forma.

It doesn't have enough crit to justify a crit build, or status to justify a status build.

Great ammo efficiency, but with max ranked heavy cal and serration, it's still not as heavy hitting as a crit build Synapse (no heavy cal) so I've no idea what's going on.

The secondary fire mode is really buggy, as you can fire through enemies without hitting them, and split chamber stops you using it.

Right now, it's mastery fodder and not good fodder at that

I'll also point out that my basic Synapse build has 125% chance of 4.4x crits (no hammer shot or critical delay fitted) but as a full crit machine, it gets even nastier.

Guest Tehnoobshow

To Cap'nJ, it's waaay less damage than Synapse, even accounting for the fact my Synapse is stuffed with forma.

It doesn't have enough crit to justify a crit build, or status to justify a status build.

Great ammo efficiency, but with max ranked heavy cal and serration, it's still not as heavy hitting as a crit build Synapse (no heavy cal) so I've no idea what's going on.

The secondary fire mode is really buggy, as you can fire through enemies without hitting them, and split chamber stops you using it.

I'll also point out that my basic Synapse build has 125% chance of 4.4x crits (no hammer shot or critical delay fitted) but as a full crit machine, it gets even nastier.

Yeah, I forgot how important crit was. The Dera actually has the same dps as the Quanta (10 rounds per second/22 dmg per round vs 1 round per second/220 dmg per round)

On the plus side if you're using a max rank Heavy Caliber with Split Chamber the alt fire cubes won't blow up in your face more often than not.  I still have hopes two stacked cubes detonating immediately is a bug but at least it's workable since the explosions only damage enemies.

Even if it's less dps than the Synapse I still might end up liking the Quanta better because explosions... it's fun firing off a couple cubes over the railing and detonating them to kill everything above you.

As to Shred, I personally see it as a must have for this gun.  It makes the beam even more efficient and the cubes go through the first few enemies meaning you don't have to constantly adjust your aim to make good use of the alt fire.

Edited by Falchoin

Upon further consideration, I see what you mean. A crit build definitely puts its dps over the Quanta's- though I wouldn't recommend Critical Delay on any weapon, the damage just isn't worth it for the decreased fire rate. That's part of the reason I thought the Quanta might do better, because increased fire rate is muy bueno slapped onto it, but I'm starting to reconsider some of the numbers.

I still have to wait for the research to be completed and hopefully a hotfix for the colliding/exploding cubes before I make any judgment, because they could definitely make or break the weapon.

As it stands, it seems like the Synapse definitely wins in the pure damage department, even taking the reload into account. I still think a proc build is viable on the Quanta, though, at least moreso than on the Synapse (which has much less room for dual stat mods & fire rate).

Guest Tehnoobshow

Upon further consideration, I see what you mean. A crit build definitely puts its dps over the Quanta's- though I wouldn't recommend Critical Delay on any weapon, the damage just isn't worth it for the decreased fire rate. That's part of the reason I thought the Quanta might do better, because increased fire rate is muy bueno slapped onto it, but I'm starting to reconsider some of the numbers.

I still have to wait for the research to be completed and hopefully a hotfix for the colliding/exploding cubes before I make any judgment, because they could definitely make or break the weapon.

As it stands, it seems like the Synapse definitely wins in the pure damage department, even taking the reload into account. I still think a proc build is viable on the Quanta, though, at least moreso than on the Synapse (which has much less room for dual stat mods & fire rate).

Critical Delay helps greatly on the Amprex as it makes your ammo last more than a few seconds.

Critical Delay helps greatly on the Amprex as it makes your ammo last more than a few seconds.

Not really, imo. The damage reduction is far too great for it to be a useful mod, and actually lowers its chance to proc. Its fire rate is extremely important to maintain the status chance necessary to make it a viable CC weapon- I'd honestly rather use a mod like Rifle Ammo Mutation over Critical Delay, though I don't actually use either because I know that it's going to eat up ammo no matter what. In the end, using the Amprex relies on having a more ammo-efficient secondary used for damage output and general use, while the Amprex is an amazing tool for hitting large groups for solid damage and knocking them down/stunning them to get yourself out of a tight spot. If you use your ammo more conservatively, you don't need to be any more ammo efficient. I s'pose part of that is personal preference, but if you want to make the most out of the Amprex, using Critical Delay won't really help you.

Critical Delay is sorta like Magnum Force- both seem viable in theory, with minimal damage boosts but potential utility (Critical Delay slows ammo consumption while Magnum Force can spread out damage radius for weapons like the Castanas). However, upon closer scrutiny, it's almost always better to either replace it with a pure damage mod or even another QoL mod in its place.

I recognize that this is sort of an off-topic tirade but I spent a long while looking at the possibility of using Critical Delay  on my Amprex and playing around with it in-game and honestly I can say that I'm confident that it is not worthwhile to use on the Amprex. After my fourth Forma slapped onto it, I'm fairly confident in that decision.

</rant over>

To actually answer OP, my response is that the Quanta is... not actually OP. If DE fixes the Quanta's alt fire, it definitely has a niche as an extremely versatile weapon with reliable CC in its alt fire, and good ammo economy for a continuous weapon, meaning that it can last much longer than other weapons like it. I'd say that it's potentially end-game viable, but balanced.

That's better than what most weapons offer, to be honest, and I'm looking forward to playing with it myself without crying in pain at lost potential (and the fact that I had to collect 10 Neural Sensors for the darned thing).

couldnt we fix/buff the spectra and flux rifle before introducing another 'industrial tool energy beam converted into weapons' into the game ??

redundant and repetitive borefest, why would players want to invest in or even rank up weak continuous beam weapons which are basically all the same 

*sigh*

DE please listen to this guy and the bazillion of voices his words represent? Thanks.

The Synapse fires at a rate of 10 rounds/sec, each dealing 12 electricity damage w/ a 50% crit chance at 2x base crit damage. If you do some quick multiplication, the effective base dps is around 240, higher than the Quanta's 220.

However, to compare them more accurately, the Quanta has a 220 base electricity damage w/ a 10% crit chance and 2x base crit damage, which gives it an effective dps of 264. I'll have to see how it operates, however, to figure out how frequently it's able to crit- on continuous weapons that gets kinda confusing, so on the Quanta it would always be more of a diceroll, especially when the Synapse can get consistent crits (and even red crits) when you slap on Point Strike.

Another thing to consider is its continuous dps-- the Quanta, firing at a rate of 1 round/sec, takes a full minute to get through its magazine if you don't use the explosion cubes (which, for this, we'll ignore). The Synapse, however, will get through its full magazine in 10 seconds. While the reload speed of the Quanta is slightly higher than that of the Synapse, the Synapse will have to reload much more frequently (again, assuming that the Quanta isn't firing explosion cubes). While the Quanta takes a full minute to unleash its magazine (plus two seconds after that reload), the Synapse will have to reload six times to match it, for a total of 9 extra seconds. That's 7 more than the Quanta, which is pretty considerable when it comes to continuous dps.

The Synapse does, however, have the rest of its insane crit to contend with. With a maxed-out Point Strike, its crit chance is 125%, meaning that 1/4 of the time, you're dealing red crits added onto the regular crits. With a maxed out Vital Sense, its base crit damage goes from 2x to 4.4x, which can be increased with Hammer Shot. However, that does take up two mod slots that the Quanta can use for other means, so the Synapse's advantage in crits doesn't entirely weigh on its side. I'm feeling a bit lazy to actually calculate the final damage comparison between the weapons, so I'll probably end up doing that later- for now, I'll stick to them being comparable in terms of damage.

However, utility should also be taken into account. With the Quanta's slow firing rate, not only is it able to preserve ammo better, but it can more easily abuse mods like Speed Trigger (and potentially Shred, though I haven't seen how the Quanta does with Punch Through). The Synapse will eat through ammo much more quickly when using Speed Trigger and will require more constant reloading, something that can end up being a hassle and difficult to deal with despite the potential increase in dps.

As a matter of proc'ing, I believe the last point puts the Quanta slightly in favor of the Synapse. While the Synapse has a stat chance of 10% per second (at least, I'm pretty sure it's per second and not per round), the Quanta matches it with its own 10% proc chance per second, which can be greatly enhanced with Speed Trigger and event mods that the Synapse may or may not have room for, depending on your build.

All of this, of course, takes into account average damages and values. This means that while the Quanta has more consistent dps, the Synapse does have a chance for a higher or lower dps depending on your luck.

That being said, it's difficult for me to accurately say which one is "better" at this point. The Quanta's explosion cubes haven't been taken into account at all, and that just seems like an added bonus to the Quanta, which also seems to have a longer range than most continuous-fire weapons. Then again, the Quanta's alt-fire makes that accuracy less appealing because it struggles to take full advantage of it without using the zoom function.

DISCLAIMER: My math here is very simplified and, notably, done at 3 AM in the morning. These numbers may be slightly skewed but should be close enough to the Real Thing to make a fairly accurate comparison.

Well said. I need to add 3 more Forma to mine for a total of 6 polarities to make a final assessment. 

So far, this weapon is definitely end game viable. 

The big thing is how ammo efficient it is. I can go through a whole defense wave and only use half a clip. That's really good.

The continuous nature and pinpoint accuracy of the weapon means you can easily hit weak points of your enemies. My playstyle is that of a marksmen so I favor weapons like the Vectis, Latron Prime, and Dera over weapons like the Boltor, Brakk, and the Penta. I really like that the Quanta givess me the option of that marksmen-like playstyle while still having the alt fire for crowd control when things get really hectic.

Edit: However, DE still needs the fix the alt fire's interaction with Split Chamber. The latest hotfix failed to do so.

Edited by Yinkuji

Your math is incorrect.

(for the Synapse): 50% crit rate with a 2x multiplier is not equal to twice the non-crit damage. (120 -> 240)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correct Math:

General formula for dps (ignoring reload)

D = damage/shot

R = rounds/second

C = crit rate

M = crit multiplier

dps = D*R*(C*M) + D*R*(1-C)

Synapse dps

10 rounds/second

12 damage/shot

50% crit

2 crit multiplier

Quanta dps

1 rounds/second

220 damage/shot

10% crit

2 crit multiplier

12*10*(2*0.5)+12*10*(1-0.5) = 180 (Synapse)

220*1*(2*0.1)+220*1*(1-0.1) = 242 (Quanta)

Edited by Pythadragon