The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Goodbye Free Anime And Manga...

Pansoy

I love how they say theyve lost so much in damages when most people wouldnt pay to get the anime in the first place

If its not free theyll just find something that is or wait till they can get it free

Those damages theyve suffered are much lower

The same can be said for the american movie and music industries that love to play up losses

Anilinkz is also my main anime site. The problem is, that a lot of it's alt vids are to other sites' content, so if those other sites go down, I don't know how that'll be affected.

Frankly though, this whole thing is a joke. Piracy and whatnot is just the biggest fad right now and there's not a whole lot anyone can do about it. If the internet wants something done, they'll do it. It's like how the US Government and Apple and everyone gets all embarrassed when they get hacked, and declare the culprits master hackers. There's an increasing rise in technology-savvy people out there, you can't just hope that everyone is too stupid to power through your censoring.

Aside from that, Japan gets a RIDICULOUS amount of support from it's non-Japanese viewers for their anime and manga. It's how things like Naruto and Bleach and One Piece are all still running; Japan's fans can't keep them going by themselves. On top of that, once in a while you get a show like Cowboy Bebop, or the more recent Attack on Titan, which draws in even non-anime watchers. To voluntarily remove easily more than half of the fans of your country's content is stupid, and a waste of time and money.

The issue for them seems to be that they aren't really getting support from the majority of their fanbase. Reading Manga or watching Anime on some random site isn't supporting the person/persons who made it. They're trying to stop that from happening as they perceive that 'piracy' as lost income. In reality, the majority of those people are not likely to just start paying for anime and manga just because a few site go down. There will always be a free way of obtaining the content, and those who don't want to/can't afford to pay will go those routes. Crunchyroll has existed for a while, but not everyone uses the site and of those who do, not all of them are paid members.

TL;DR- I agree with you, but I can also see what Japan is thinking on this (it is exactly the same thing that the movie, music, and video game industry are thinking.