Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thanatophobia

Valafor

I decided to see what others feel about this little issue of mine. Thanatophobia is the fear of death (not fear of corpses, that is something else). I personally fear death greatly. My eyes dilate and I get literally petrified in fear. I fear death not only because I do not know what happens after, but all that is to come without me. This will sound weird but, I enjoy living and I am afraid to let it go. I am not old, not even past my 20's, but I still get fear death greatly. There is so much to do ,but yet it is almost unfair that we are given so little time. I am not religious, as I do not buy the religious claims of an afterlife, and I do not believe religion is the source of morality (and I can explain why if you want me to, but that is not the point of this topic), but sometimes I wish i was a believer, for then I can be comforted with the idea of an afterlife. I fear that I can not contribute to this world, and even if I could, it would be lost and forgotten, and again I will be unnoticed. I fear I will be forgotten. And I fear that I will leave behind all my loved ones. I can not stand the thought of death, but unfortunately, death will come for me.

This is going to be a very...dark story. So I've added a spoiler for those who don't want to read it.

Normally I never reveal anything about myself but this is something I relate to. A lot.

I fear death to. Not like you, but like a regular person. The idea of it is scary. 

5 years ago, I had a friend called Megan. She was like you. Very afraid of death. To the point that sometimes she'd just stop dead in her tracks and tear up over that fear and I felt helpless.

She had gone to seek help from therapists. But it never worked.

3 months after meeting her, I had been told by my parents that she had died. I was never told how and I didn't want to know. But in that time she was still afraid and that was what made me the most depressed.

So val. I know death is very scary. The idea of it alone can scare anyone. But don't let it get to you. You need to live this life happy and free of any worry. 

I decided to see what others feel about this little issue of mine. -It is perfectly fine and natural to have a fear of death. 

Thanatophobia is the fear of death (not fear of corpses, that is something else). I personally fear death greatly. -See Previous.

My eyes dilate and I get literally petrified in fear. I fear death not only because I do not know what happens after, but all that is to come without me. -It is understandable to be afraid of the unknown, in the same sense that people are afraid of the dark. It is a similar reaction. Do not let yourself be plagued by the 'What-ifs' and 'What-could-be's' Focus yourself on the here and now, lest you waste time spent of your life worrying about what may or may not come after.

This will sound weird but, I enjoy living and I am afraid to let it go. -Perfectly natural. It is YOUR life. You have worked hard, and striven to become who and what you are today. You do not want that to be for nothing.

I am not old, not even past my 20's, but I still get fear death greatly. -Still alright. Everyone has different thoughts for different times. Try not to let something so far off spoil the time you have now.

There is so much to do ,but yet it is almost unfair that we are given so little time. -Indeed. See previous.

I am not religious, as I do not buy the religious claims of an afterlife, and I do not believe religion is the source of morality (and I can explain why if you want me to, but that is not the point of this topic), but sometimes I wish i was a believer, for then I can be comforted with the idea of an afterlife. -This is the main reason nonreligious flock to their religions. They wish to believe some part of them will be preserved. It is a comfort that, if you wish to have for yourself, you are more than entitled to. Many people do the same.

I fear that I can not contribute to this world, and even if I could, it would be lost and forgotten, and again I will be unnoticed. -Do not be afraid of not contributing, or being forgotten. So long as you have friends, family, people who care, everything you do matters. 

I fear I will be forgotten. -Do not think of being forgotten. Forge new memories with those you care about while you have all the time in the world to.

And I fear that I will leave behind all my loved ones. -So long as they are your loved ones, and you are remembered, you will have never truly left them behind. More like... took a vacation. 

I can not stand the thought of death, but unfortunately, death will come for me. -Death comes for us all. It is perfectly logical to be afraid of death, and all that it entails. Do not try to fight it, do not try to hide from it. The most that you can do is accept it. Yes, one day, you will die. So will everyone you have ever known, seen, and even those you did not know existed. That being said, make the time you have now worthwhile, make enjoyable memories for yourself, and those around you to look back on.