Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno And The Warframe

steelsamural88

That's what I think of Captain Vor's speech. Considering other evidence and knowledge, chances he was also speaking figuratively when mentioning energy. Considering the kind of person Vor is, I don't think we're meant to take it literally.

This makes more sense. He was just getting all flowery with his description, not actually saying we're energy. I think he meant that the tenno provide the powers, not the warframes, and that the warframes just focus the tenno's powers into a usable form.

At least he still has a brain (somewhat). 

And I think Nekros still has some sort of torso. After all, a head and a spine is not going to be too good of a combatant, even if in a Warframe. 

Why not? As long as his brain remembers how to fight and is wired in he can move the warframe like it was his own body.

Edited by vaugahn

I'm inclined to believe at this point that the Tenno are basically indescribable in a Lovecraftian sense.

They are both energy and matter at the same time, changing form at a whim. They can bleed and die, only to be reborn in a sudden surge of energy.

We definitely have a spine and genetics, since that was what Vor put the Ascaris on you to get at.

The Mirage Quest makes it very clear we build new Warframes to wear, not gain new characters to play.

Why not? As long as his brain remembers how to fight and is wired in he can move the warframe like it was his own body.

The classic 'Brain-in-a-jar' type element, but changed to 'Brain-in-a-Warframe'. 

I still think Nekros has some sort of flesh (organic or otherwise) within the Warframe, just to have a bit of mass (besides, he can bleed, so at the very least, there would be blood [synthetic or otherwise] in the Warframe to maybe sustain his brain). 

This makes more sense. He was just getting all flowery with his description, not actually saying we're energy. I think he meant that the tenno provide the powers, not the warframes, and that the warframes just focus the tenno's powers into a usable form.

vor also said he needed the tenno so they can be a species that can reproduce instead of being copies of copies.

Vor says we're pure energy.

And tenuous as it is, the Mirage questline seems to support this idea: the final Lotus line describes the creature vaporizing the Warframe, after which "she is lost, forever." No mention of the Tenno's body - no mention of a Tenno physical form - just the end of the Warframe, and then she is lost. It's not MUCH, it's hardly anything at all, but after Vor saying "we are the energy" and describes us as a "glorious light" it's hard to argue against it - not impossible, I personally wish we had a physical form and all of our frames were just different Tenno attuned to one specific type of Warframe, but difficult, imo.

The classic 'Brain-in-a-jar' type element, but changed to 'Brain-in-a-Warframe'. 

I still think Nekros has some sort of flesh (organic or otherwise) within the Warframe, just to have a bit of mass (besides, he can bleed, so at the very least, there would be blood [synthetic or otherwise] in the Warframe to maybe sustain his brain). 

Well obviously if he was just a brain there'd be some life support in there. But basically the Orokin re-purposed useless injured soldiers by grafting them into warframes. That seems to match with the desperation implied in the Excalibur codex.

And tenuous as it is, the Mirage questline seems to support this idea: the final Lotus line describes the creature vaporizing the Warframe, after which "she is lost, forever." No mention of the Tenno's body - no mention of a Tenno physical form - just the end of the Warframe, and then she is lost. It's not MUCH, it's hardly anything at all, but after Vor saying "we are the energy" and describes us as a "glorious light" it's hard to argue against it - not impossible, I personally wish we had a physical form and all of our frames were just different Tenno attuned to one specific type of Warframe, but difficult, imo.

Lore and gameplay separation for switching warframes. Plus, that vaporized thing could include the tenno inside the frame, and the faction description refers to the warframes as exo-suits.

Edited by vaugahn

Well obviously if he was just a brain there'd be some life support in there. But basically the Orokin re-purposed useless injured soldiers by grafting them into warframes. That seems to match with the desperation implied in the Excalibur codex.

I think they first threw in some whole volunteers, then once it was seen to be alright, then they threw in injured soldiers. 

Lore and gameplay separation for switching warframes. Plus, that vaporized thing could include the tenno inside the frame, and the faction description refers to the warframes as exo-suits.

Like I said: not impossible, but given Vor's description I just can't see an argument against it holding water. The Lotus was also very clear and detailed, even if it hurt her to remeber what happened, with the descriptions before "many faceted eye" "tearing their heads off" it just doesn't make sense, imo, for her to leave out "and the Tenno followed in suit of her frame."

This debate will go on for a while longer i assume, but as far as I'm concerned it's been confirmed and, even if I would have preferred something else, I'm gonna accept it.. But your description of whats IN the Warframes is just dead-wrong: Ember's lore makes it clear the Tenno were children exposed to and mutated by the Void (after which one of them burns Kaleen - which could be support for either "the Tenno have innate powers" as it IS Ember's codex or "the frames are just focusing iris for these energy-creatures" given radiation and energy and all that).

Ant the exo-suit bit... you got a point there, but even if it's just a now-energy-creature piloting it the Warframes ARE still a "suit" (in fact, it could be argued that they fit the description even MORE, now, given the Tenno can move from one to another).

Heck, this brings up interesting points: 1) the Dark Sector Excalibur skin MAY BE a hollow, lifeless shell of a Infested from that time period that the Tenno-energy-creature pilots, and 2) could it be that when we choose an "energy color" we're actually choosing a "skin" color?

-snip-

The argument for there being a dude in the suit is still alive and well. Us being energy is currently just as plausible as us not being energy, until we get confirmation we don't know either way. Considering that in ember's codex the tenno clearly have some sort of form that at the very least is recognizable as a child and can be comforted lends to this, and vor's description is overly flowery so I'm inclined to believe it's a metaphor.

And if you look back to my previous posts you'll note that I didn't say every frame just has a brain in it, only Nekros. Calling someone dead wrong in a lore thread is just silly considering how little lore we have.

it could be that way but what cannot

Like I said: not impossible, but given Vor's description I just can't see an argument against it holding water. The Lotus was also very clear and detailed, even if it hurt her to remeber what happened, with the descriptions before "many faceted eye" "tearing their heads off" it just doesn't make sense, imo, for her to leave out "and the Tenno followed in suit of her frame."

This debate will go on for a while longer i assume, but as far as I'm concerned it's been confirmed and, even if I would have preferred something else, I'm gonna accept it.. But your description of whats IN the Warframes is just dead-wrong: Ember's lore makes it clear the Tenno were children exposed to and mutated by the Void (after which one of them burns Kaleen - which could be support for either "the Tenno have innate powers" as it IS Ember's codex or "the frames are just focusing iris for these energy-creatures" given radiation and energy and all that).

Ant the exo-suit bit... you got a point there, but even if it's just a now-energy-creature piloting it the Warframes ARE still a "suit" (in fact, it could be argued that they fit the description even MORE, now, given the Tenno can move from one to another).

Heck, this brings up interesting points: 1) the Dark Sector Excalibur skin MAY BE a hollow, lifeless shell of a Infested from that time period that the Tenno-energy-creature pilots, and 2) could it be that when we choose an "energy color" we're actually choosing a "skin" color?

it could be that way but one thing is clear they require cryo-stasis to preserved there bodies they can bleed and there are different shapes and sizes they also have d.n.a it is possible that the power that they have consumes them or in fact is a living componet and is apart of them but energy cannot be created or destroyed. but the orokin could turn matter into energy but for only a short time it could be just technology developed by the tenno.

Edited by steelsamural88

The argument for there being a dude in the suit is still alive and well. Us being energy is currently just as plausible as us not being energy, until we get confirmation we don't know either way. Considering that in ember's codex the tenno clearly have some sort of form that at the very least is recognizable as a child and can be comforted lends to this, and vor's description is overly flowery so I'm inclined to believe it's a metaphor.

And if you look back to my previous posts you'll note that I didn't say every frame just has a brain in it, only Nekros. Calling someone dead wrong in a lore thread is just silly considering how little lore we have.

A fair enough statement, sorry for that.

personally, though, I preferred to think of the Nekros frame (before I switched to the energy-being theory) as having a tiny, emaciated and balled up person in the chest cavity (with the head maybe where the head actually is), piloting the rest of the frame through neural sensory attachments.

A fair enough statement, sorry for that.

personally, though, I preferred to think of the Nekros frame (before I switched to the energy-being theory) as having a tiny, emaciated and balled up person in the chest cavity (with the head maybe where the head actually is), piloting the rest of the frame through neural sensory attachments.

That could work. There's no way a normal sized person would fit in him.

And I think with this new update the energy being theory is actually losing ground, considering we now have a spaceship and as the guy above me pointed out, Vor says "the tenno are that energy", not that the tenno are energy. I recall in a devstream one of the devs mentioned they wanted the warframes to be suits, it looks like they're slowly moving towards that.

Energy doesn't bleed.

The idea Tenno are pure energy is idiocy resulting from taking Vor (who talks poetically and also is a flawed clone) literally, and ignoring everything else in the game. Like how Tenno are affected by slash damage, the origin of the Tenno (Hayden Tenno) in the previous game, Dark Sector, bleeding animations, the bleeding out mechanic, etc.

I mean really, it's just going into the realm of general stupid and ignoring everything else to go "hur dur tenno are energy".

Energy doesn't bleed.

The idea Tenno are pure energy is idiocy resulting from taking Vor (who talks poetically and also is a flawed clone) literally, and ignoring everything else in the game. Like how Tenno are affected by slash damage, the origin of the Tenno (Hayden Tenno) in the previous game, Dark Sector, bleeding animations, the bleeding out mechanic, etc.

I mean really, it's just going into the realm of general stupid and ignoring everything else to go "hur dur tenno are energy".

That's a good point about the bleeding, but it's also possible that the Warframes, being a type of zero-tech suit that would be needed to fight against the machine-turning-against-the-orokin sentients, are partially biological. Technocyte and all that (whatever effect the technocyte HAS on the Tenno). You're argument DOES hold up a lot more, not that I'm reminded of these, so I'll concede that. It definitely warrants a closer look.

However, DE has been VERY clear to state that, even though Dark Sector and Warframe are connected, Warframe is SO far in Dark Sectors future that the two are practically unrelated, minus the minor links (Tenno, Excalibur, Technocyte) that are more or less references to the previous game than anything. There's really nothing in-game, that I can remember, to suggest Hayden Tenno is, like, the sire of all current Tenno by any means whatsoever.