Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Devstream 33 Overview Part 2, Valkyr, Infested And Enemy Scaling

DE_Adam

While Part 1 of our Devstream 33 Overview focused on the new player experience there’s certainly a lot more to Update 14 than the ship and quest system.  Some are changes to core gameplay, including a major overhaul to the Infested faction and a few warframe buffs.  We also took some time to reflect on some of the changes in U14 that have made it our more ambitious update yet.

Adding more lore to Warframe is probably one of the most frequent requests we get, and if you’re one of those who appreciates backstory then U14 has probably made you a happy camper.  Over 400 lines of dialogue were recorded for this update, much of which can be credited to the Lotus, Captain Vor and Ordis, a brand new character.  You may also hear some Grineer background chatter from the Liset as it picks up transmissions nearby, helping to add a little more character to the angry clones.

Valkyr’s Hysteria has finally been updated to be more in line with our Melee 2.0 standard, and although at the time of broadcasting Hysteria did not provide additional combos with increased ranks it is a problem that has since been taken care of.  In the meantime the basic animations and unranked attacks do work, which most should find as an improvement compared to the original hoverpunch!

Another great change based on community feedback comes for Saryn, as her Molt will now remove all procs and status effect changes when cast.  Molt also has a very fancy art and effects overhaul that makes her second skin look...well shedding skin in any circumstance is kinda gross but at least now it looks cooler.

In the same vein of community feedback we know that many players enjoyed pausing in a solo matchmaking session, and it is a feature that we do want solo players to have.  It should already have made its way back into the game at this time.

I mentioned at the very start that Infested have seen a major overhaul, something done in response to how players feel about the faction.  The biggest noticeable change comes in the form of Ancients who have had their abilities buffs and expanded to nearby units, in addition to a pull ability that works in the same manner as Grineer Scorpion.  Although we’ll continue to tweak Infested as necessary the feedback from you all so far has been been largely positive.

Difficulty when it comes to enemies is something we’re constantly monitoring, and player feedback goes a long way in helping us determine not only what weak spots there may be in enemy creation but also in refining what enemies currently exist.

Lastly we wanted to give a quick reminder that although Update 14 has only recently arrived on PC we’re working as hard as possible to ensure that it is available on PS4 sooner than later.  With an update of this size it’s difficult for us to give a precise time, but as always you’ll be given some advance notice of its arrival the closer we get to completion. 

I love the Infested now, they're actually difficult to fight. However, I think the spawns could be a bit more spaced out, as I actually have to start parkouring over crowds or fight my way out due to the excessive spawns. Maybe spread out the spawns so we get a more huge, constant wave?

Corpus could use similar scaling, but Grineer are going to need to pull out some special unit (read: mini-boss) every once in a while to amp things up.

Also, Ancients could use removal of the radial buff. They're common enemies, not leaders, and should be treated as such. Since they already have a pulling ability, high damage, and an extra ability to do toxin damage/heal others/disrupt energy, this makes it a bit (read: VERY) unbalanced.

Edited by UpgradeInProgress

I love the Infested now, they're actually difficult to fight. However, I think the spawns could be a bit more spaced out, as I actually have to start parkouring over crowds or fight my way out due to the excessive spawns. Maybe spread out the spawns so we get a more huge, constant wave?

Corpus could use similar scaling, but Grineer are going to need to pull out some special unit (read: mini-boss) every once in a while to amp things up.

IMO stop amping S#&$ right now before it gets painfull to play a single game, keyword should be FUN, don't forget that, challenge and stupid hard enemies will kill this game imo. What happened to FUN and stress free gameplay ?

Edited by Tr1ples1xer

I like the buffed Ancients and their new Auras with one major exception...

The Scorpion-like Pull-Ability.

That thing should be removed again... it makes playing the game on solo near to impossible without spaming ranged AoE skills 24/7 to prevent the hordes of ancients from even getting anywhere near close to you and you often don't even see it coming because they shoot their hooks even through walls and obstacles and whatnot before you can see them. Also it looks odd animationwise as if it doesn't really belong to them in the first place.

It's no problem with lower ranked infested to get pulled every once in a while, but any enemy difficulty with hordes of Infested ancients (Def/Surv/Mobile Def) and with Chargers that can shred your shields in 1-2 hits is just a big problem. You are getting pinballed, teabagged and you're pretty much dead meat and can't do anything about it.

Edited by MeduSalem

IMO stop amping S#&$ right now before it gets painfull to play a single game, keyword should be FUN, don't forget that, challenge and stupid hard enemies will kill this game imo.

I'll tell you right now that I don't mind easy stuff, you have the sectors for infested. But some players get tired of an easy game. A challenge is fun. To some people, Soma/Rhino/Angstrum/Dragon Nikana is fun. They can still go play easy mode, or go to easier nodes, and feel powerful. But there are people who want to feel beaten, and then come back swinging their Venkas at the first enemy that gets in their way.

There's a fine balance. However, a best-of-both-worlds approach, as DE is doing with the infested faction, makes things easier for everyone.

I'll tell you right now that I don't mind easy stuff, you have the sectors for infested. But some players get tired of an easy game. A challenge is fun. To some people, Soma/Rhino/Angstrum/Dragon Nikana is fun. They can still go play easy mode, or go to easier nodes, and feel powerful. But there are people who want to feel beaten, and then come back swinging their Venkas at the first enemy that gets in their way.

There's a fine balance. However, a best-of-both-worlds approach, as DE is doing with the infested faction, makes things easier for everyone.

We need a slider for difficulty, I know the community is split on this one, but it seems DE only buffs enemies and nerfs frames all the time, I don't see how this is a good thing, I have all maxed gear I can't imagine being a noob again I would quit and never touch this game again, killing stuff is FUN dying is NOT.

We need a slider for difficulty, I know the community is split on this one, but it seems DE only buffs enemies and nerfs frames all the time, I don't see how this is a good thing, I have all maxed gear I can't imagine being a noob again I would quit and never touch this game again, killing stuff is FUN dying is NOT.

Didn't they mention at some point adding a difficulty selection?  I can't recall the exact point where it was mentioned, but I feel like it was mentioned during a devstream or something.

Agreed, or at least difficulty modes that create higher spawns of leaders, etc. They should create different sessions  based on the difficulty as well. It's been done with nightmare and it can be done with difficulty. I detailed it at one point a long time ago, locked by mastery and starchart progress that I think could pose a solution. I might copy-paste it later into this post.

I don't like dying, that's artificial difficulty. I like being challenged by dynamic enemies or enemies that bring me to the bring to the brink of death. Those are fun. Past that, it's frustrating.

Edited by UpgradeInProgress

I'm not a fan of the Ancients with the capability to pull. I think it would be better if you guys made a separate infested unit of infested Grineer Scorpions instead. However I can live with it if that doesn't happen, but can you guys make the rope thing that the Ancient shoot appear more like it is part of the Ancient? That would be swell :D