Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thank You For Watching Devstream #34!

[DE]Rebecca

Seems something's going on with Twitch lately. Something about them removing the ability to change stream quality.

Not sure what you guys are on about. I watched the whole stream without so much as a stutter. Though I am in their Time Zone, I'm sure that has some effect on the stream quality.

What... Who whould've thought of that as a good idea?

I think the general idea is that if you have it set to higher quality, but something happens with the connection or your system it would automatically downgrade the quality so it can continue streaming. Such things never work as advertised outside of testing though so I have no idea why they didn't just make it an option, like youtube does.

UI PLANNING

T asks, what is done for the initial planning of a UI? For example do you use concept art, photoshop screenshots, or a white board with dry erase markers?

small typo haha the plain 'T' is kinda cool. Might be confused with Mr. T though... which I guess is still cool. I'm honestly just happy my question got in there :) Thanks!

mr-t-o.gif

Urk, I'm glad that they talked about showing squad numbers on the Starchart but not enough was said about the Starchart itself. It's actually kind of terrible! It's only improvement was that it made it incredibly obvious when there were invasion/alert/nightmare missions, but it was all at the expense of requiring more effort to find certain missions when the previous UI showed all the missions of a planet in a single screen. I'm hoping for more improvements like showing more information about the mission itself without having to mouse over each mission to find the game type you want.

Edited by Liacu

Option that removes the character and sets the UI paralel to the screen, scaling or no scaling. Really the waiting for a scaling thing is just a BS excuse imo. I do not want to have a even smaller UI just so my frame wont take up part of the screen. Having that frame in the way is a problem on its own for usability of the UI.

If someone sits in your way when watching a movie, are you going to ask the person if he can go to the side a little, OR ARE YOU MAKING THE SCREEN SMALLER! It makes no sense, at all. (best RL comparison ever)

And yes, these two things are nearly exactly the same. Only difference is that WE are in front of our own UI and to get a good view we need to point at the screen so it moves and becomes unreadable, or we shrink it to make it even harder to read. Well GG.

I really like the style of this UI. But the resistance to change it for the better and even thinking of solutions that make no sense just boggle the mind. And NOT ONCE have i seen a true answer to why this system is so glorious that It will not be changed.

So these are the options basically. With the text of some random conversation that is totally about non important stuff.

Current with sway and far side that is hard to read

ZqqBzLj.png

What you want to make. No sway but smaller because of the scaling. and while this is readable. Think 1080 p where the mods on the side are small already and then having to make it SMALLER to fit. and it will probably still be distorted.

jjn1vPn.png

What people want. you will still be able to see the room behind it so it is still a better version of the old one. It takes up the screen and makes everything bigger and easy to use. Why does this need so much resistance. Please tell us clearly, no half solutions to make up for it.

mFvRwkU.png

Option that removes the character and sets the UI paralel to the screen, scaling or no scaling. Really the waiting for a scaling thing is just a BS excuse imo. I do not want to have a even smaller UI just so my frame wont take up part of the screen. Having that frame in the way is a problem on its own for usability of the UI.

If someone sits in your way when watching a movie, are you going to ask the person if he can go to the side a little, OR ARE YOU MAKING THE SCREEN SMALLER! It makes no sense, at all. (best RL comparison ever)

And yes, these two things are nearly exactly the same. Only difference is that WE are in front of our own UI and to get a good view we need to point at the screen so it moves and becomes unreadable, or we shrink it to make it even harder to read. Well GG.

I really like the style of this UI. But the resistance to change it for the better and even thinking of solutions that make no sense just boggle the mind. And NOT ONCE have i seen a true answer to why this system is so glorious that It will not be changed.

So these are the options basically. With the text of some random conversation that is totally about non important stuff.

Current with sway and far side that is hard to read

ZqqBzLj.png

What you want to make. No sway but smaller because of the scaling. and while this is readable. Think 1080 p where the mods on the side are small already and then having to make it SMALLER to fit. and it will probably still be distorted.

jjn1vPn.png

What people want. you will still be able to see the room behind it so it is still a better version of the old one. It takes up the screen and makes everything bigger and easy to use. Why does this need so much resistance. Please tell us clearly, no half solutions to make up for it.

mFvRwkU.png

I feel this example is blown way out of proportion.

2SFbsZq.png

CGonQgp.jpg

Personally, I'm very prone to migraines; especially without excessive caffeine on any given day. However, I don't find it difficult to adapt to, even if numbers or information is slightly obstructed.

loved watching the stream, only problem is when the UI designers and programmers where asked about taking away key features suck as visual linear progression and PS4 Overintergration they simply just dodged the question and simply said "this way is better" for lack of a better term.

i appriciate steve coming in and saying flat out that there are serious problems with this new UI compared to the last one however i really dislike that the designer and programmer wouldn't accept that any part of what they have done could be considered a step backwords in functionality...

this is the one this that seriously grinds my gears about devs. DE usually NEVER do this and actively take part in community feedback and such however these guys where just avoiding questions that put fault in their own "better for both systems" ui when it's clearly designed for a ps4 user to the detriment and fustration of the PC user.

Stuff I wrote about trading.

I haven't read to see if anyone else mentioned it, but... About the trading stuff, instead of an auction house, Runescape's Grand Exchange has a great, automatic/manual, free market system last I was on... months and months ago... Anyways, in game currency there reminded me of stock points and in game items acted sorta like stocks. There were actual market strategies with investment, and market crashes, and charts, and such (it was fun, we called it "Merching"). And I feel like a system like they have there would be more applicable in this game because trading with platinum is actually trading with representative money, and this game is based in the future, so trading across the solar system can make sense. It wouldn't take up too much real estate in the liset to have a trading module that could be like a little teleporter tube for items and a screen by it that you could interact with for it's UI. It could be build into the wall and wouldn't be very big. The trading tab would be more social, possibly, as all the actual trading could be automatically done through that instead of "WTS WTB WTS WTB WTB WTS WTT LF vault ru-[player] was kicked". Before you give me flak about suggesting something from Runescape, go look Grand Exchange up. I played that game when I was much younger. Before the Grand Exchange was put in, all the places players needed to go, like banks, were flooded with "bank sell BS Bank Sell BANK SELL" spam.

Stuff I wrote about recruiting.

And maybe a module for recruiting too; totally separate or built in into the trading module. A place to browse clans or alliances looking to get more members and their public information and whatever message they have to say for themselves like "We best, join us, we strong." or whatever. You could sort or categorize it, scrolling down a list, enlarging information, and sorting by chronological, alphabetical, or some sort of value, like how many members they have or something to that affect (perhaps filters, for certain words or if someone's Corpus lab has Lanka research or not). If a clan is open for recruiting you could submit an "application" to them. And in the same module, in a different section/tab/box/area, there could be recruiting for games too, instead of the current way of saying "Hosting blahblahblah". It'd be double sided, a host could put their current squad on there for anyone else on the client side to just click on or scroll past on a list and such (with ideas similar to the clan idea I had). And on the host side there could be options that could be changed beforehand and during, like if anyone could just press and join, or if they have to submit an "application". And an "application" would go to a little expandable submenu, with the other applications, on the host's submission to the list, but only on the host's side for the host to view and scroll through. An application could just contain a short message and the info you'd see about them if they were in your squad. The host's submission to the list, as well as all the submission info in the host's little submenu, would all go away when the game starts or when they get past wave 5 or whatever. This would take the grind off of trying to get an invite from a host, or hosting and dealing with spam from people whispering.

If this wasn't beautiful to read, I'm sorry, I'm just tired as hell.

Edited by Number39

Urk, I'm glad that they talked about showing squad numbers on the Starchart but not enough was said about the Starchart itself. It's actually kind of terrible! It's only improvement was that it made it incredibly obvious when there were invasion/alert/nightmare missions, but it was all at the expense of requiring more effort to find certain missions when the previous UI showed all the missions of a planet in a single screen. I'm hoping for more improvements like showing more information about the mission itself without having to mouse over each mission to find the game type you want.

I'm surprised as well. I thought I missed the big talk about it, but it turns out that they practically didn't adress the problem. They carefully avoided the big diplodocus in the room, which is the starchart being one of the biggest problem people have with the new UI.

They said that "not showing all the planets at once is good because otherwise the poor little noob will be overwhelmed and faint". Which is why all the games with levels hide how many there is, right?

*google image level select*

Right?

From a meta perspective, players are accustomed, especially in non-story based games (like warframe), to see ALL the existing levels regardless of their progression (with the locked ones greyed out). If you hide them, they won't know what to expect and be more confused than if you didn't. Which is the exact opposite of what you want.

The second (and friggin' last) subject approached was the "Beyond nostalgia, it's hard to parse locked vs. Unlocked nodes, to know which one comes next.". I'm assuming that Pablo meant "new starchart is worse than the old one in that regard", because the claiming the opposite would be insanity.

They pretty much ignored or handwaved away most of the complaints exposed in threads like this one. I've come to expect that from DE and I am very disappointed. Very. Very. VERY disappointed.

2hgee4i.jpg

keep the current rotating planet, but but the old nodes in orbit/on the planet.

Use the opportunity to actually give the mission a location. Put the Everest node on the himalaya of the model for example.

This image was made SEVEN MONTHS AGO. (by HandsOfnArtist, in this old thread of mine.)

Edited by Kaian-a-coel

Dorian: I'm really happy with what we did for modding, which has been split up into four sections, each with its own explanation. A lot of people were really confused by, for instance, fusion or transmutation. But with the new sections, you know exactly what you're getting into and it takes you step-by-step, which really helps new players. If we were able to get that used experience into the upgrades, we'd be very satisfied.

Seriously?

Thoses division in 4 section is an error, plain and simple.

Before when I was fusing mods, and saw that I had too much of one mod, I could just sell it. Now I have to get out 2 times, select the other option, sell the mod(s), then get back to fusion.

It is EXACTLY the same problem thant the reste of the UI change: Console optimised, and a lot less practical.

Yes, it's true it is a lot nicer and cohesive compared to the older one, but stil...

And it seems the the mods re-design is going EXACTLY in the same direction. Great.

Edited by Marnus