Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cover System, Its Optional And Its Time!

OrphanMaker

Earlier I was playing a rescue mission and saw the elegance and beauty in the cover system the rescue victims had. It made me jealous! I do a lot of solo missions, and no ability missions. I like the challenge solo missions offer, but while running solo mission, especially with no abilities on, I can see the large void in the game. This void is the lack of a cover system. Every AI rather friend or foe can take cover. This is something that has been asked for, for a long time, and I think now is the time.

Rescue victim with my Pyrana.

WarframeHostage2.png

WarframeHostage1.png

Dark Sectors had this ability and it works pretty well.

ps3_dark_sector_65.jpg

Rainbow six vegas have this ability

Red dead redemption have this ability

Every real and taken seriously game are offers this system. Why is it warframe does not have this system, and do not say because no one want to use. If that was so "you would read the forums and never see it." This is something that is asked for almost on an everyday basis. Edited by OrphanMaker

It worked in Dark Sector because enemies could easily overwhelm and kill you if you were exposed. I have played that game and I know how hard it is without cover.The thing about Warframe is there is no need for cover, most of the time you kill all of the enemies before they even know you are there. If you are taking heavy fire then it is pretty easy to make your own cover by crouching behind a corner. Warframe is also a fast paced game, having cover would make the game feel slower.

Edited by Shadowray

"Every game has it, therefore Warframe must too."

No. Simply no.

Also, I'm fairly certain in the Warframe FAQ it clearly states that this game won't have a cover system because of a reason I'm fairly certain 80% of people agree on.

End of story.

I quite like Warframe in that it's supposed to not force you to use cover, and instead force you to rely on mobility to dodge enemy fire.  However, that's actually not the case, because in Suspicious Shipments, which may have been the only time I truly felt challenged playing Warframe (at least a challenge that did not involve unkillable enemies with guns that still didn't do that much damage), cover and caution was a necessity.  So perhaps when Warframe actually becomes meaningfully challenging, there can be a hybrid cover/mobility system that lets players play how they want.  That's the ideal, anyway.

I imagine it would very much help stealth players, as well.  Once stealth gets more rewards (i.e. I can still get as many mods as quickly as a guy who's farming late survivals) cover would become very beneficial as well.

This has been talked a lot before and the answer is no.

If I remember correctly the reason is that WarFrame is not to be played passively and slow paced. A cover system is totally out of place in the context of ninjas, even space ninjas with technological weaponry.

Whether or not I remembered the reason they gave, I agree with NOT having a cover system. That's just not for this game.

No. Simply no.

Also, I'm fairly certain in the Warframe FAQ it clearly states that this game won't have a cover system because of a reason I'm fairly certain 80% of people agree on.

End of story.

I don't care for the way other game are! This is the way I and many other want to play this game! The other games are just cathering to the diversity of their player base better!

Edited by OrphanMaker

Cover systems are ok for slower games, but not fast games.

The cover system in vanquish felt odd because the entire game was so fast paced, and it would be even worse in Warframe. 

Also, the areas and environments of Warframe were not designed with cover systems in mind. There's a distinct lack of chest high cover in most tilesets. 

Every real and taken seriously game are offers this system. Why is it warframe does not have this system, and do not say because no one want to use. If that was so "you would read the forums and never see it." This is something that is asked for almost on an everyday basis.

CS:GO doesn't have a dedicated cover system. If you want to take cover behind something, stand/crouch behind it. 

I'm tired of every game trying to be a cover-shooter. The only way I'd agree to Warframe getting a cover system is if the button to enter cover was NOT one of the ones I currently use. It would have to be a completely separate button that way I wouldn't accidentally find myself sticking to walls when I'm trying to run past them (which happens in a LOT of cover-shooters).

Look at the difference in speed and fluidity between this game and Mass Effect. That is why we don't have/need a cover system.

I don't care for the way other game are! This is the way I and many other want to play this game! The other games are just cathering to the diversity of players better!

If you want a dedicated cover system, go play a game that has one.

Edited by SquirmyBurrito

No. Simply no.

End of story.

Problem is, we can already use cover, it's just not integrated.  You can stand behind pillars and shoot from there, and the like.  So unless everyone gets railguns in the next update, Warframe will retain its "cover system."

Edited by Metalarcher

CS:GO doesn't have a dedicated cover system. If you want to take cover behind something, stand/crouch behind it. 

I'm tired of every game trying to be a cover-shooter. The only way I'd agree to Warframe getting a cover system is if the button to enter cover was NOT one of the ones I currently use. It would have to be a completely separate button that way I wouldn't accidentally find myself sticking to walls when I'm trying to run past them (which happens in a LOT of cover-shooters).

Look at the difference in speed and fluidity between this game and Mass Effect. That is why we don't have/need a cover system.

+1

This is Warframe, not gears of boredom. 

Edited by Plasmaface

topic starter. as devs already mentioned cover system is not a part of this game for any reasons good or bad. and i tend to agree, because even if i would really love not to take all that damage from a heavy gunner or seeker after an hour of survival, i do remember how Platinum in Mass Effect looks like. When you basically run from cover to cover and hug this cover with all your might.

Warframe is more based around mods and how you use, even if "end game" (whatever that means) build for a frames is rather similar, you still need to reach a point when you can make it. so you would not die for a shot, unless it's a seeker shooting at you.

So no i would like not to have cover system, instead i would like some other improvements on the gameplay mechanics.

Problem is, we can already use cover, it's just not integrated.  You can stand behind pillars and shoot from there, and the like.  So unless everyone gets railguns in the next update, Warframe will retain its "cover system."

Yes. but from what I understand, he wants a cover system that involves "Press X to hump wall while sucking your thumbs for health."

And I'm just so tired of seeing it.

Sorry of I miss interprederpderp-ed it (<-- Do not know how to spell, 3:30 am lazyness kicking in.)

It worked in Dark Sector because enemies could easily overwhelm and kill you if you were exposed. I have played that game and I know how hard it is without cover.The thing about Warframe is there is no need for cover, most of the time you kill all of the enemies before they even know you are there. If you are taking heavy fire then it is pretty easy to make your own cover by crouching behind a corner. Warframe is also a fast paced game, having cover would make the game feel slower.

Well if Warframe was played like that, i'd be extremely thrilled, because it offers some challenge.

Real self-challenging players (i.e. solo without powers or def mods or whatever) should know how to position their warframe behind a corner on their own. There's no need to "click 'x' to take cover"... just walk over to a column or wall or something and stand behind it. Or crouch.

And if you notice, the 'cover' that enemies take is almost never effective. Hiding behind handrails with huge, bullet-allowing gaps or not-so-bullet-proof glass just isn't really cover.

Real self-challenging players (i.e. solo without powers or def mods or whatever) should know how to position their warframe behind a corner on their own. There's no need to "click 'x' to take cover"... just walk over to a column or wall or something and stand behind it. Or crouch.

And if you notice, the 'cover' that enemies take is almost never effective. Hiding behind handrails with huge, bullet-allowing gaps or not-so-bullet-proof glass just isn't really cover.

I'd be fine if there were some animations for leaning out from behind something, but any sort of actual cover system would ruin the game.

This has been talked a lot before and the answer is no.

If I remember correctly the reason is that WarFrame is not to be played passively and slow paced. A cover system is totally out of place in the context of ninjas, even space ninjas with technological weaponry.

Whether or not I remembered the reason they gave, I agree with NOT having a cover system. That's just not for this game.

Cover is out of place in the context of ninjas?  What in God's name are you talking about?  What bizarro world are you living in?

I think cover would be pretty cool, myself.  Most people wouldn't use it, this is true, but I don't see how it would actually hurt the game to have the option.

I don't care for the way other game are! This is the way I and many other want to play this game! The other games are just cathering to the diversity of their player base better!

So every game copying the same system is how you cater to a more diverse player base? 

I think you've got your entire thought process backwards. 

Let me tell you something, One size NEVER fits all. By copying the same overused formula you don't cater to a more diverse player base, you cater to the bubble of people who happen to like that one system, and in the process you alienate everyone else. Just because you reside within that bubble doesn't mean the rest of us do. 

I hate to sound blatantly rude, but it's because of people like you that we have so many generic AAA games crowding the market. You've gotten to thinking that the generic way is the only way, and as a result the only games with any imagination are indies and the occasional rare gem like Warframe. And yet here you are, trying to ruin what makes warframe special, whether you know it or not. 

Warframe will not get a cover system. It would repel too many players. End of story. 

Edited by Plasmaface

Cover is out of place in the context of ninjas?  What in God's name are you talking about?  What bizarro world are you living in?

I think cover would be pretty cool, myself.  Most people wouldn't use it, this is true, but I don't see how it would actually hurt the game to have the option.

Heh, the way you said that was kind of hilarious.

Yeah, it wouldn't hurt the game, because we already have a cover system, it's just very basic and not very pretty.  And if/when stealth becomes viable as a way to get resource/mods etc. it could be pretty interesting to use it as a way to stay hidden, and feel like a very tactical and collected assassin/thief.

We aren't ninja. We're high-tech mercenaries. What bizarro world are you living in where ninja ran around in plain sight slaughtering legions of enemies as they came into sight?

Edit: Warframe already has the best kind of cover system; The 'do it yourself' cover system. Want to hide behind a pillar? DIY, just stand behind a pillar. Want to hide behind a wall? DIY, just stand behind it. You don't need pretty animations to hide.

Edited by SquirmyBurrito