Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cover System, Its Optional And Its Time!

OrphanMaker

This would require DE to change the way the game is played. 

That's not going to happen. Such a drastic change would alienate at least half of the players. 

It would not have to be a total carpet-sweeping change in how the game is played, in aspect of some missions that are difficult/dangerous, it would encourage a more tactical play-style and  you  being more cautious, e.g. Suspicious Shipment difficulty. There the enemies arent chewy and hit hard, making it quite fresh compared to your average map-nuking. Some harder exterminate missions can be changed to that difficulty and thus a change of game pace, for a particular mission, not overall gameplay experience.

Edited by YashiroSora

A cover system, to me, should be an extension towards stealth. At the moment, stealth is laughable in this game. Why? The mechanics of it is awful.

DE doesn't like inputting one-shot kill stealth kills. Why? They think it's OP to one-shot one enemy unit. Or even one-shot killing counter-kills or ground stabs. The animations they perform are actually fatal, but the enemies at higher levels, just get up from it like it's nothing. 1 animation per one enemy kill, and the animations can't be sped up, so you take damage during these animations.

Sadly, I don't really see where the fear is, when we can just go blasting through this game with a gun that would essentially kill more, faster, and more safely than a melee could.

Hiding behind objects/corners/pillars is supposed to be enough, but the rolling/side-rolling in this game is awful to really make use of.

Edited by VoidWraith

The only ones I can think of would be Ninja Gaidan and Metal Gear Rising. 

Exactly. We're the "badass kill everything in sight" type of ninja, the kind that's been popularized by western media for years now, not the classical "don't be seen, don't be heard, get in and get out" type of ninja. It's really just that simple: we ARE still ninjas, just not the type of ninja you'd probably prefer to associate with that word.

It would not have to be a total carpet-sweeping change in how the game is played, in aspect of some missions that are difficult/dangerous, it would encourage a more tactical play-style and  you  being more cautious, e.g. Suspicious Shipment difficulty. There the enemies arent chewy and hit hard, making it quite fresh compared to your average map-nuking. Some harder exterminate missions can be changed to that difficulty and thus a change of game pace, for a particular mission, not overall gameplay experience.

The problem is it would be a waste of dev time and totally useless in-game to boot. Our game pace should be sped up, not slowed down.

The problem is it would be a waste of dev time and totally useless in-game to boot. Our game pace should be sped up, not slowed down.

Our...... Well, I for one want the cover system, like many others. It like I said if you don't want to use it then don't. This will not break the game in anyway. Its optional.

Edited by OrphanMaker

Our...... Well, I for one want the cover system, like many others. It like I said if you don't want to use it then don't. This will not break the game in anyway. Its optional.

Many others? Anyways, think of it like this: you're taking cover behind a box, and the three other guys in your team have already sprint-slide-flipped across the room and into the next tile. We need better dodging, not taking cover.

Many others? Anyways, think of it like this: you're taking cover behind a box, and the three other guys in your team have already sprint-slide-flipped across the room and into the next tile. We need better dodging, not taking cover.

Seconded: if a "quick parry" function isn't already available for when you're NOT swording-aloning, it NEEDS to be!

A cover system, to me, should be an extension towards stealth. At the moment, stealth is laughable in this game. Why? The mechanics of it is awful.

DE doesn't like inputting one-shot kill stealth kills. Why? They think it's OP to one-shot one enemy unit. Or even one-shot killing counter-kills or ground stabs. The animations they perform are actually fatal, but the enemies at higher levels, just get up from it like it's nothing. 1 animation per one enemy kill, and the animations can't be sped up, so you take damage during these animations.

Sadly, I don't really see where the fear is, when we can just go blasting through this game with a gun that would essentially kill more, faster, and more safely than a melee could.

Hiding behind objects/corners/pillars is supposed to be enough, but the rolling/side-rolling in this game is awful to really make use of.

Oneshot kill finishers/counters/ground finishers would be massively overpowered with certain set ups (teleport ash would be able to oneshot any enemy he teleported to).

Stop with this 'many others' thing. 

Oneshot kill finishers/counters/ground finishers would be massively overpowered with certain set ups (teleport ash would be able to oneshot any enemy he teleported to).

Stop with this 'many others' thing. 

Teleporting around just to kill one enemy is not energy efficient. I don't care if it's for heavies only. You are not immune to enemy fire and can still get shot at, and still receive damage.

If you need to take cover with anything other than a crouch button, you're way too new to the game.

Furthermore most enemy AoEs hit THROUGH cover.

Equip your dual ichors, learn to copter. That prevents more damage that taking cover. It is much faster to zoom helter-skelter.

If you need to take cover with anything other than a crouch button, you're way too new to the game.

Equip your dual ichors, learn to copter. That prevents more damage that taking cover. It is much faster to zoom helter-skelter.

The only AOE corpus have are those Stomp Moas, so it is perfectly legitimate to duck or take cover from the Corpus.

Bad news is corpus robot proxies are suicidal.

You cover camping in 1 spot will lead to hordes of Moas flushing you out anyway :P

Edited by fatpig84

Implementing a "cover system" would be an awful idea, considering that the entire point of Warframe, and precisely what makes it so unique and fun (in my opinion), is to charge into groups of enemies as quickly as possible and destroy everything that moves!

I've done a few Nightmare missions where I was forced to tread it slowly and carefully, using stealth and cover, and it was an interesting novelty for a while, but that's just not what the game is designed around. It got boring (and rather frustrating too) real fast.

In any case...

This game and it's developers are in no way required to accommodate your niche, outspoken preferences. If you want a third person shooter with a cover system, simply find one of the many, many, many other shooters out there that has that feature.

If you need to recover your shields that badly, simply stand behind a pillar, or crouch behind a box or something. It's not hard.

I'm confused - because I use cover all the time.  Simply get out of LOS of whoever is shooting at you.

Do you want 'sticky cover' - if so, no.  This has been gone over before and the feedback was that it just slows the pace of the game down.  Not to mention - do you want all the tilesets to devolve to a bunch of chest high barriers like in all the other sticky cover shooters?

I have been play since 2013. I have been playing this for over a year now. Now, if you google search warframe cover system you can find old topics in the forums discussing adding a cover system. People have been posting they want a cover system for over a year now! We have been asking for this for a long time, and now I think it time we push for it and get it implemented (it will only improve the game). Since June of 2013 the game has seen many changes. There has been many things added to this game and subsequently removed. Those items were a waste of time on the developers part, so now I am asking the developer to trying something new. I am asking them to try something we have been asking for, for over a year. I just hope they give this a chance.

ps A cover system is very good and very much needed. How can you refute or debunk something you have not tried yet? Warframe has never had a cover system. Adding a cover system to warframe may be one of the best things warframe has ever seen.

I like to run solo missions to stealth. From what I have seen is the lack of a cover system is one of the major problems in the stealth gameplay in warframe. The addition of a cover system will only improve warframe, not break it. Taking cover is the basis/backbones of all stealth games and gameplay mechanics. How can you have a stealth game with out the ability to take cover?

Because we *have* tried it.

How many people here do you think *haven't played Mass Effect, or CoD, or MW, or Deus Ex:HR, or any number of other games that have sticky cover.

Sticky cover is a *console* mechanic - before the consoles figured out how to make a shooter work with analog drumsticks PC's never bothered with that.

Now its freaking ubiquitous and all it does is turn all the combat areas into shooting galleries.  You know when you're about to get into a battle because the room you just entered is a long hall with chest high walls all over it.

I'd far rather see regenerating health before sticky cover.

L2Crouch and sticky cover becomes irrelevant.

People also ask for free money constantly too, does that mean it's a good idea?

Every real and taken seriously game are offers this system.

And there's a blatantly false statement.  Cover systems are massively overrated and generally unwarranted outside of very slow paced games.

The idea is bad, and won't be implemented.

ps A cover system is very good and very much needed. How can you refute or debunk something you have not tried yet? Warframe has never had a cover system. Adding a cover system to warframe may be one of the best things warframe has ever seen.

Even in Mass Effect 3, I always had the problem of accidentally sliding into cover behind a wall when I really wanted to just run up to that Cerberus Trooper and manhandle them with melee attacks T_T. Most annoying thing ever.

Warframe is a much faster-paced game. And it logically follows that the faster you move, the less control you have over your movement, and the more you'll end up attaching yourself to sticky cover when you really, really don't want to.

Why do you even need a sticky cover system? All you have to do is either out-run the enemy target lock (yes it is entirely possible to not be hit at all by enemy Grineer lancers), or crouch manually behind a box.

Also...

I like to run solo missions to stealth. From what I have seen is the lack of a cover system is one of the major problems in the stealth gameplay in warframe. The addition of a cover system will only improve warframe, not break it. Taking cover is the basis/backbones of all stealth games and gameplay mechanics. How can you have a stealth game with out the ability to take cover?

I like to run solo missions to stealth.

solo missions

stealth.

Well holy S#&$, there's your problem. This game isn't really intended for solo play or stealth play, lol. You're trying to play the game in a way the developers never intended for in the first place then complaining when it doesn't work the way you wanted it to.

Stealth in this game is a mere afterthought. It gives you a fleeting tactical advantage when starting a fight, it certainly helps when you're speedrunning that you can hit 2 on Loki and go invisible, and it's nice that you can complete objectives with less opposition because your enemies didn't trigger any alarms, but when it gets to the real meat and bread of this game (high level survival and defense missions) stealth doesn't even exist as an option anymore.

Besides, I've played plenty of games with amazing stealth that didn't use cover systems. Ever played any games from the Thief series?

Edited by PygmyPower

I know it's a bit off of the main point here but;

Why do you even need a sticky cover system? All you have to do is either out-run the enemy target lock (yes it is entirely possible to not be hit at all by enemy Grineer lancers), or crouch manually behind a box.

Yay, another player who actually understands this.  You have no idea how overjoyed I am at seeing someone who knows how the enemies work in this game.  The current running count is... well staggeringly low.

There are tons of players who literally believe it's impossible to dodge Grineer shots, as silly as that sounds I'm not even slightly joking.

Not to mention - how does sticky cover help stealth?  Short of them adding a 'can't be seen while stuck to the chest high wall' cheat.

Right now you *can* stealth through games - simply keep your head on a swivel, find the enemy before they finds you, and keep out of their LOS.  But this ain't MGS - you aren't going to go through a whole level without being seen no matter what you do.  That's kinda intended. 

Ghost what you can, fight what you have to, run from the rest.