Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fun Volt Build For Survivals

Hammithimmis

Question

Hey there, just wanted to share a Volt build I really enjoy: (feel free to comment, improve, or critique)

Volt is very, very viable in endgame and tremendously fun.  Here's a build I love to run in tower survivals that was *inspired* by the crazy numbers I saw in defense by shield stackers:

Slap on efficiency mods, Flow, and especially Natural Talent on Volt, so that you can cast 12-energy-cost shields from an energy pool of 300 nearly instantly.  

Put on Enemy Radar, so you can see where the mobs are and plan your approach.

When facing a large mob, you can cast 3 shields in about a second thanks to natural talent ( remember to do it fast and in rhythm, which seems to make them cast faster) and thus gain that 150% electricity base damage bonus and 800% critical multiplier as well as protection from bullets.)  If you are nervous about dying, use shock first to give yourself time to cast.

Use a critical based weapon.  I run Amprex (heavily forma’d for DPS).  When shooting through the shield, TWO ROUNDS (basically a quick mouse click, hold a tiny bit longer for three rounds) does 30-40k damage each for up to 5 enemies in the general area you aim at.  So no need for ammo mutation or ammo packs, my Amprex is now ammo conservative :)  Pick up energy orbs from the dead mob, and continue on.

(Oh, and don’t forget the shield boosts the range of the Amprex as well)

The best part about this build?  The infinite damage scaling, since adding another shield approximately doubles (about 2.5x) your damage.  Casting 4 shields gives me upwards of 75k damage, 5 shields gives 150k+, and so on.  However, keep in mind there’s a value cost of casting time vs damage gained, all of which matters in survival when the clock is ticking. 

This is an offensive damage build for Volt, but keep in mind the shields are great utility for defending and rescuing teammates; throw in shock or overload or speed, and you get even more utility.

(I would recommend a strong sidearm or sentinel for single targets or ones outside of your shield range)

NOTE TO CRIES OF OP:  This build can be OP when played right, but its surprisingly challenging IN GAMEMODES OUTSIDE OF DEFENSE because you have to constantly make use of angles for shield placement, mob approaching, and so on.  It feels very tactical, and rewarding when you get it right.  I certainly hope DE does not nerf shield stacking too harshly.           

15 answers to this question

Ehhhhhh...this build is very situational, and if you get caught in front of even one enemy you can get totally destroyed. 

The risk is what makes it fun for me lol, while the potential damage makes it rewarding.  Although I do put redirection on for a little safety.

NOTE TO CRIES OF OP:  This build can be OP when played right, but its surprisingly challenging IN GAMEMODES OUTSIDE OF DEFENSE because you have to constantly make use of angles for shield placement, mob approaching, and so on.  It feels very tactical, and rewarding when you get it right.  I certainly hope DE does not nerf shield stacking too harshly.           

As far as I know sadly, the infinite-range with some weapons that you can use with the shield is actually a bug abuse and you can be banned for it.

Otherwise, I didn't realize the shield was THAT good now.

As far as I know sadly, the infinite-range with some weapons that you can use with the shield is actually a bug abuse and you can be banned for it.

Otherwise, I didn't realize the shield was THAT good now.

You can get banned for that? I personally don't see the logic behind that, while it is the abuse of a bug it's not doing so for exclusive shizzle/platinum

You can get banned for that? I personally don't see the logic behind that, while it is the abuse of a bug it's not doing so for exclusive shizzle/platinum

I don't even think this is a bug. This is pretty much how volt shield has been used for even before the buff.

Edited by Alphafox

Hey there, just wanted to share a Volt build I really enjoy: (feel free to comment, improve, or critique)

Volt is very, very viable in endgame and tremendously fun.  Here's a build I love to run in tower survivals that was *inspired* by the crazy numbers I saw in defense by shield stackers:

Slap on efficiency mods, Flow, and especially Natural Talent on Volt, so that you can cast 12-energy-cost shields from an energy pool of 300 nearly instantly.  

Put on Enemy Radar, so you can see where the mobs are and plan your approach.

When facing a large mob, you can cast 3 shields in about a second thanks to natural talent ( remember to do it fast and in rhythm, which seems to make them cast faster) and thus gain that 150% electricity base damage bonus and 800% critical multiplier as well as protection from bullets.)  If you are nervous about dying, use shock first to give yourself time to cast.

Use a critical based weapon.  I run Amprex (heavily forma’d for DPS).  When shooting through the shield, TWO ROUNDS (basically a quick mouse click, hold a tiny bit longer for three rounds) does 30-40k damage each for up to 5 enemies in the general area you aim at.  So no need for ammo mutation or ammo packs, my Amprex is now ammo conservative :)  Pick up energy orbs from the dead mob, and continue on.

(Oh, and don’t forget the shield boosts the range of the Amprex as well)

The best part about this build?  The infinite damage scaling, since adding another shield approximately doubles (about 2.5x) your damage.  Casting 4 shields gives me upwards of 75k damage, 5 shields gives 150k+, and so on.  However, keep in mind there’s a value cost of casting time vs damage gained, all of which matters in survival when the clock is ticking. 

This is an offensive damage build for Volt, but keep in mind the shields are great utility for defending and rescuing teammates; throw in shock or overload or speed, and you get even more utility.

(I would recommend a strong sidearm or sentinel for single targets or ones outside of your shield range)

The shield is going to get fixed. This build is useless.

Infinite damage boost behind a shield that you can't get hurt behind. That's kinda speaking for itself.

Infinite damage boost behind a shield that you can't get hurt behind. That's kinda speaking for itself.

Its actually not too much protection in mobile missions, since the shield's in one direction.  And AOE can penetrate, such as grenades, bombards, poison gas.  I do agree it is overpowered in defense, where you can setup and plan. 

The shield is going to get fixed. This build is useless.

Depends on how they nerf.  I would be down with a hard cap on damage stacking (maybe 4-5 shields?) or a stacking falloff.

Depends on how they nerf.  I would be down with a hard cap on damage stacking (maybe 4-5 shields?) or a stacking falloff.

Shield should not stack at all.

We can't stack Hall of Mirrors.

We can't stack Eclipse

We can't stack Roar.

We can't stack M Prime

So why should we be able to stack shields.

And before anyone says we can stack all those with 2 or more players in some cases.

Then yes, that is fine. if two volts can cast their shield in the same direction, then go right ahead. But if they can't, it shouldn't stack.

Edited by Semshol

I don't see a problem with shield stacking.

The shield protects you from one cardinal direction, is elevation dependent, is susceptible to AOE damage, does nothing to mobs that pass through it, takes planning to use optimally which if not executed correctly will result in damage being taken, takes energy and time to stack the shields, a crit-based weapon designed to utilize the stacking property and is effectively useless in a wide-open area or when being swarmed.

Furthermore, Shock is like a 3 second CC with no real damage and an enemy cap. Overload is a weak, situationally dependent and slowly cast ultimate. Speed is a simple utility that buffs the weakest weapon class in the game, and makes you run stupid fast for a little while. 

This leaves Electric Shield, which is the only thing that 'makes him a potent alternative to gunplay', and is his only significant ability vs high-level enemies. It already has a laundry list of variables that can kill it's usefulness. 

We don't need NERFS. We need BUFFS. You starchart noobs have no understanding of the proper endgame and cry when a guys gets big numbers or a lot of kills or tanks a lot of damage. When you get to wave 50 on T4 defense or 60 minutes on a T4 survival, you'll understand that you NEED that to have a chance to continue on. Everything is gonna be OP on mercury. Some things are OP on Pluto. Nothing short of the pre-nerf Trinity is OP when the real fun starts (though the nerf was way too hard). Even your precious 'OP' Rhino is freaking USELESS when the enemies can straight up one-shot a Blind Rage Iron Skin. Even your precious 'OP' 34K Burst DPS Boltor Prime is a freaking pea shooter that takes two magazines of straight headshots on a Heavy Gunner to kill without Corrosive Projection x4, Viral procs and Molecular Prime weakening them.

L2P before you COMPLAIN and NERFNERFNERF killing ANOTHER warframe that MIGHT be BARELY viable in endgame in certain situatuons. Instead, just have FUN working your way through the starchart trying out warframes and destroying the weak stuff with the supposedly 'OP' stuff. If you are really so deathly afraid of the game lacking enough challenge, go solo and challenge yourself with things like melee only, no mods run, remain undetected through the level with a non-stealth warframe and so on. 

The only time NERFNERFNERF needs to happen is in the aspect of the fledgling PvP, which at this point isn't polished at all and will continue to develop into something worthwhile, in time. If anything, BUFFBUFFBUFF all the warframe abilities with the focus on endgame viability and ask for some more endgame CONTENT other than the 3 endless missions we have access to now (and to a far, far lesser extent T4E, T4MD, T4C).

/end rant.